Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] I see dead people - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] I see dead people (/showthread.php?tid=16359)

I see dead people - Kilieit - 06-08-2016

This isn't related to roleplay so much, to be honest. But it's about the lore, it's interesting to me, and I thought it might be interesting to you as well. I guess it could have implications on RP as well. I'm interested to hear people's opinions and input, anyway, because this is something I've been discussing with my friends lately and we're all as confused as each other.

Now, my understanding of the rules of Hydaelyn are that once someone is dead, they're dead. Once their essence has returned to the Lifestream, there's no way of getting them back (Tam-Tara Hard is a nice example of what happens if you don't pay attention to this) - "true" ghosts appear when someone's spirit fails to join the lifesteam to begin with, as opposed to being brought back from it after the fact. And yet...

At several points during questing as the Warrior of Light, we see... apparitions of dead people. Like, dead dead people.

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Show Content

Can anyone think of any other examples? Anything that could rule out or support possible theories behind the less certain of these examples - assuming that the rules we know now ("once someone's passed beyond the veil they can't return") are accurate? Even examples of roleplay storylines or headcanons you have in a similar vein? I love hearing different people's takes on canon and I'd be interested to see what yous make of this.

(Sorry for all the nested spoiler tags. >.>)

RE: I see dead people - Valence - 06-08-2016

+ A-Towa Cant in the WhM quests.

RE: I see dead people - Warren Castille - 06-08-2016

It could probably be understood that, similar to how "real life ghosts" are considered, someone with a sufficient enough willpower of duty left undone might be able to tether some of themselves to the planet. All of the examples listed as people of considerable power/strength/will/determination/whathaveyou.

That's about the only explanation I can come up with before coffee.

RE: I see dead people - Valence - 06-08-2016

Personnally I believe it's all about lingering aether signatures. Be it primals, battles or individuals, we know that all leave their mark on the land and that can even be measured by aetherometers.

RE: I see dead people - S'imba - 06-08-2016

Well 2.2 quests there's that Sahagan that had the ability to move to a new body and transform it into his own. Whether it be true of all echo people isn't made clear...though considering the ascians all have the echo that might be why they can't be killed by conventional means.

Also I think Frey is a bit of a special case, though the final quest definitely shows he's real enough at least to interact with normal people.