Hydaelyn Role-Players
I'm REALLY new here... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: I'm REALLY new here... (/showthread.php?tid=16971)

I'm REALLY new here... - Taejin - 08-15-2016

After about 3 hours of staring at my screen, I finally decided to say "Screw it, nothing to lose yet."

I'll be honest, I'm completely new to the RP scene, not because it was weird to me (mostly), but because I've always been incredibly timid. I can barely ask my FC for a run through *insert dungeon here*, and I'm the LEADER. Never mind walking into Hawker's Alley and stumbling into a not-so-legitimate business deal I may or may not be accepting of. Figured I'd start here, at least to test the waters. 

Taejin himself is technically Doman, not by blood (possibly) but through adoption. He is veeery quiet, VEEERY patient, humble (to the point of self-deprecation) and due to the overwhelmingly skewed female-to-male ratio in the Gensei clan, courteous yet easily flustered around the fairer sex. He WILL NOT use magic in nearly any form due to an incident from his past (another time), though his personal aether signature is heavily lightning-aspected. He currently works openly as an engineer (MCH, ARM, GSM, BSM), but recently his past has come back to haunt him... in more ways than one.

...This got really long, I'm sorry. Guess I'm more into this than I thought. THOUGH, as you might have noticed to your left, my server is Famfrit. I can muster all the courage I would ever need, I've NEVER seen an RP'er here. So, for now at least, I'm restricting myself to here. In any case, a pleasure to meet you all.

/bow

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Xerintha - 08-15-2016

Hi there! I'm not on your server (Balmung) but I'm more than willing to help you out with any RP questions you might have. I'm not nearly as well versed in the lore of this game but I've been roleplaying for a long time. Even wrote a guide on it once upon a time but have no idea where it is now. 

I'm also very familiar with finding it hard to ask for help doing things since I'm that way myself. I love to help out but it's MUCH harder to ask for it. Big Grin

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Taejin - 08-15-2016

Ha! Really does sound like me. At most Ill say "hi" and then lurk in the background of a party until I magically reverse a horrific turn of events.

Thanks for the offer. Also, someone already wants me to transfer to Balmung. So, maybe someday we WILL meet in game... (Do I really seem that interesting? Its weird.)

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Ruran - 08-16-2016

Hey there!

I'm glad you stepped out and said hello! Your character sounds fascinating, from the backstory to his his personality to his skills. Maybe one day we'll see you over here on Balmung! That'd be neat. C:

If you want to do some PM/Discord/Skype/offgame RP, let me know! I'd love to meet Taejin.

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Parvacake - 08-16-2016

Welcome! If you have any questions, we have a lot of good folks here to ask Big Grin

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Taejin - 08-16-2016

STAHP, the interest, ees so weird, so FOREIGN. I can't handle it.

...But seriously, it sounds like fun times are to be had whether I get serious with this or not. Thank you for the encouragement/offer of assistance. When next I emerge from my basement in the Goblet, this'll be my 1st stop.

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Lydia Lightfoot - 08-31-2016

Hi Taejin! Did you happen to transfer over to Balmung yet? If not, it's definitely worth the money, I've met several players who used to RP on Famfrit and left to come to Balmung after struggling over there. Some even left behind housing to come here and not even be able to get a house, and they've still said that the difference in RP has been worth it. Plus, on Balmung we don't get gold farmer spam (no seriously, I'm not even kidding, it's so great). If you do transfer, you can bring up to 8 characters at one time for just the single fee, so if you think you ever might want to play an alt, make them in advance and then you don't have to pay another transfer fee later. :3

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Taejin - 08-31-2016

Well, yeah, a house is just sentimental value. Besides, my best decorated space to me was my FC room, so...

Anyway, as tempting as the offer is (in fact I've pretty much told myself to do it), I cannot at the moment. Due to... well, multiple factors, I am no longer employed. Thus, I literally CANNOT afford it at the moment. Not that I could before. 20 dollars a week is...

Regardless, until I find a new job, the switch will have sit on the backburner. At least I have time to stop staring at my screen and finish my wiki. Silver linings and some such.

Sorry to disappoint!

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Lydia Lightfoot - 08-31-2016

Well then, I'll keep my fingers crossed that some awesome work comes your way! Big Grin

Ha! You and me both.

Gotta step my game up. Especially if I wanna keep gaming.

...Okay, I keep seeing it and it's bothering me. Would anyone be kind enough to give me a quick rundown of this FATE-14 thing? Maybe link an existing thread about it or something? I'm preeeetty sure this is beyond my pay grade, being a complete RP novice, but hey, knowledge is power.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. just had to look.

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Gegenji - 08-31-2016

(08-31-2016, 10:53 PM)Taejin Wrote: ...Okay, I keep seeing it and it's bothering me. Would anyone be kind enough to give me a quick rundown of this FATE-14 thing? Maybe link an existing thread about it or something? I'm preeeetty sure this is beyond my pay grade, being a complete RP novice, but hey, knowledge is power.

The Roll Eorzea LS has a tab that covers what FATE-14 is and some information on how to get started. In its most simplest sense... it's a character sheet like your usual tabletop DnD-esque game. A few events use the system because it allows you to roll for things without being completely at the mercy of the RNG gods of /random.

RE: I'm REALLY new here... - Taejin - 09-01-2016

(08-31-2016, 11:02 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(08-31-2016, 10:53 PM)Taejin Wrote: ...Okay, I keep seeing it and it's bothering me. Would anyone be kind enough to give me a quick rundown of this FATE-14 thing? Maybe link an existing thread about it or something? I'm preeeetty sure this is beyond my pay grade, being a complete RP novice, but hey, knowledge is power.

The Roll Eorzea LS has a tab that covers what FATE-14 is and some information on how to get started. In its most simplest sense... it's a character sheet like your usual tabletop DnD-esque game. A few events use the system because it allows you to roll for things without being completely at the mercy of the RNG gods of /random.

Wish I had found this before the complete guide, but holy mother of the TWELVE does my head hurt right now. I'd be lying if I said this isn't damn interesting though. Thanks for the link.