Hydaelyn Role-Players
Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? (/showthread.php?tid=17026)

Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - KoharuIyashi - 08-21-2016

I've been playing around with my character and I've stumbled across this post in the forum.

Here Kieron Lohengrin states:

"...chakra" is simply a term for aether absorbed into the body from energy-heavy environments such as ancient battlefields, a capability unique to monks alone. 
(I have not played the MNK story line yet, but I am assuming this is true since it has been posted, but not pointer out for being incorrect.)

So, if this is true, Chakra is just another form of aether, likely more condensed so monks can use it enhance their attacks. Then do you think it would be possible to for someone who is capable of using these chakra, also use magick?

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Valence - 08-21-2016

Pretty much. But that's really a very, very different discipline. Most of the jobs use aether in one way or another really.

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Aaron - 08-21-2016

Chakra is one of those yes it's "this" at its basic sense but no it cannot be used like "this" despite it basically being a variation of "this" type things.

It's like chocolate, yes chocolate is chocolate, but natural chocolate tastes completely different from candy chocolate

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Virella - 08-21-2016

We don't see mages, or monks, throwing fireballs around like mad. Yes, it would be possible, no, it would most likely make your character grossly overpowered.

And once more, I vague quote

"It takes years to unlock on Chakra" and the Fists keep their secret to themselves, only legends, and the WoL shat open a chakra out of no where.

I will adjust this post later once I'm out of roleplay.

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Caspar - 08-21-2016

It's theoretically possible, but since you would need a focus to cast magic, it would effectively eliminate the advantages of using Chakra to spellcast. At that point, it's almost more like you're just using Thaumaturgy, isn't it? I can't be totally certain.

I seem to have misunderstood the question then. I thought it was about a monk also being able to switch to thaumaturgy at times (aka switching jobs), and not you know, enhancing chakras with thaumaturgy, like Fists of Fire throwing fireballs and whatnot...

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Aaron - 08-21-2016

Wait, isn't that what Elixir Field does? Or am I mistaken.

The Hadouken move.

Uh yeah, but from what I understood Monks always have to channel through their bodies, and require some sort of close contact or touch to deliver their attacks (unlike standard magic casting).

I thought the OP was speaking about switching job, between monk-y stuff and caster stuff.

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Caspar - 08-21-2016

Elixir Field is ranged, that's true, but it's also not some kind of elemental spell with unlimited range like a Thaumaturge's fire. Presumably it is less precise too since it is clearly aimed at the ground and has enough recoil to push the user's body airborne. If the character is looking to use Chakra to release controlled Thaumaturgical spells, maybe this could present a problem. I don't know if it is actually advantageous outside of not having to use an external focus. In the Monk quests, I tend to side with Erik's interpretation above all else in all cases, mind you. Which if he is right, and it really just is internal aether, then you would need a focus to cast spells, in which case, why not just learn Thaumaturgy?

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Kilieit - 08-21-2016

If what you're asking is "would my monk character be able to learn to cast magick using thaumaturgy, arcanima, or conjury":

Show Content

--

If what you're asking is "would my monk character be able to use chakra techniques to throw fireballs at range [like Fire], heal people [like Cure], or cause maladies [like Bio]", then here's my take:

Show Content

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - KoharuIyashi - 08-21-2016

(08-21-2016, 06:03 PM)Valence Wrote: Uh yeah, but from what I understood Monks always have to channel through their bodies, and require some sort of close contact or touch to deliver their attacks (unlike standard magic casting).

I thought the OP was speaking about switching job, between monk-y stuff and caster stuff.

Sorry for not being clear. I meant it as a way for people using charka to cast whm / blm class magicks.

On the side note, thank you everyone comment everyone. It seem logical for a person to use charka to cast magick but I wasnt sure if it was lore breaking or considered as OP (which is a big no no)!

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Virella - 08-21-2016

Okay now I'm out of roleplay.

Every being has chakras in them according to Monks, not being a Fist of Rhalgr myself irl (duh), and just vaguely guessing with lore we got. Chakras take a lot of training to open. They aren't just "OH THIS OPENS BECAUSE IM STANDING ON A FORMER BATTLEFIELD DESU". Else everyone in Eorzea by now would have shat our chakras right left and centre with Bahamut ripperoning the living hell out of a lot citizens at the Calamity Tongue

Widargelt
It is as Erik said. Widargelt is my name. I am a brother of the monkhood. My order is the Fist of Rhalgr. Our way is to train the body and mind.
Widargelt
The fist is our weapon. With it, we put down our enemies. The energy within us moves the fist. The chakra is the seat of that energy. It is a sacred place. It can be opened, and the life force within controlled.
Widargelt
Chakra exist in all that lives─in all beings. Yet not all beings can open them.
Widargelt
Much training is needed. And great discipline. With these, the life force be commanded.
Widargelt
There are those who require no training. Their inner strength is such that it forces the chakra open. I have heard of this happening. But never have I seen it─until now.

But once more, if you read further down the questline, it is really, really, really heavily implied only the FoR have access to these things. And their order is really, really mostly dead. There's people being trained again, but if we take Widargelt's words for granted, it will probably take years before one has managed to open a chakra, and some might never do it. Opening chakras isn't a god given right. Some people don't seem to be ever capable of doing it.

http://xivdb.com/quest/66597/Brother+From+Another+Mother

Anyhow, Monks do have spell to some degree. Although you wouldn't call them anything like BLM spells for the most part... they can throw magic at people.

Howling Fist is still a line of Aether

[Image: QFMIE3s.png]

Elixir Field is also... really really spell like

[Image: 2rphmm2.png]

And also minor things such as Mantra def have a spell caster feeling to it

[Image: aOcHVWj.png]

So can you cast Aether as a Monk? Yes.

Can you do other jobs with it? No, they still require their focus like a staff/wand for a THM. You will need your book as an ACN ect.

Unless it turns out we are getting specs for our jobs in 4.0, I wouldn't hold my breath to see a spellcaster who throws things around without using a weapon. Although please, give healing Monk SE, that would be so cool ;_;

... Or staff whacking Monk, I'd be cool with that as well.

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Kilieit - 08-21-2016

Yeah... I think spell-focusses [i.e. sceptres/canes] are a highly intrinsic part of casting CNJ/THM magic. That and cast time.

Spoiler tags because I'm rambling and I don't have sources on hand for any of this, but it all fits in with what I know/remember of NPC statements and lore occurrences.

Show Content

RE: Using chakra as a form of aether to use magick? - Valence - 08-22-2016

A caster doesn't necessarily have to drain its own body aetherial reserves to cast a spell. That's how thaumaturges work, but that's not how conjurers do. They borrow from nature around them, and instead of keeping an eye on their own health, they have to keep an eye on the health of the nature around. 

WhM and BLM draw from Hydaelyn directly, and not their own reserves. That is due to their spells being so powerful that they require a more powerful source. The Gem of Shattoto for BLM is made in such a way that it serves as a buffer channeling that power source so that it doesn't burn its users from the inside.

In the case of monks, the body is the focus. They are in that intersting place, a bit in between, as they have to train for long before being able to open chakra after chakra in their bodies, and then channel aether through them. But for that to happen it is said that places with strong aetherial residues, such as ancient battlefields, are a catalyst.

It seems that chakras act a bit like chi blockers or all that fluff, where once open, energy flows freely through the body and all that jazz. It can then be liberated with great effect through the fists of the monk. It is possible that monks draw from their personal reserves, but of that, I am not sure. It seems more to me that they let aether flow freely through them rather than draw from their reserves (which may be why they don't have any MP skills in terms of gameplay, like the huge MP pool of CNJ/WhM symbolizes the full, slow regenerating amount of aether they can draw in their immediate environment, or the ping-ponging MP pool of THM/BLM representing their limited but fast regenerating aether personal reserves, but whatever).

But yeah, at best, you will get a flamethrower effect like Elixir Field or Howling Fists, etc. Certainly not a projectile.