Hydaelyn Role-Players
Non-Balmung RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Non-Balmung RP? (/showthread.php?tid=17192)

Non-Balmung RP? - Nimh - 09-06-2016

Hello,

I've been thinking about transferring off of Balmung (been having a really hard time getting into the community here) and I was hoping to move to a less populated server. I've been trying to get a hold of someone on Siren, as it seems there's a community there but I haven't had any luck. Does anyone know of a small but at least moderately active RP community on another server? Preferably with a LS I can join?

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Maril - 09-06-2016

I know that Jenova has an active RP community with several guilds. You may be able to find some people there if you check it out.

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - SicketySix - 09-06-2016

Don't forget about Gilgamesh either. It's second in RP population to Balmung.
But I do say my short time with the RPers on Jenova was pleasant.

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Cassandra - 09-06-2016

Tumblr has a few bopping around, usually on Jenova, I think. If I may ask though, what struggles are you having with Balmung?

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Ritsu - 09-06-2016

Unless Gilga picked up - I left there because of lack of RP. Plus RP'ers were getting trolled hard due to a scandal that happened. I am sure that has calmed down at least.

I have heard about Siren having pockets of it. There was another one..someone said Famfrit has RP. Many places have pockets of RP, but as far as I know not like Balmung.

What do you dislike about it? I found it overwhelming at first, I even moved back to Gilga for a month before caving and moving back. Thankfully second go around I made some very good friends.

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Nimh - 09-06-2016

My husband and I have tried going to a couple of events or places like the Quicksand, but they seem to be very... 'chat spammy' so it's very difficult to meet new people. On top of that, most of the LSes we've found or joined seem to have established cliques that make it a bit hard to get involved with anything.

Obviously I'm not saying everything or everyone's like that, we've just had bad luck so far that's all. We're going to keep trying, but I'll keep an eye out for the communities that have been recommended so far.

Thank you guys Smile

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - ExAtomos - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 01:34 PM)Nymlyn Wrote: My husband and I have tried going to a couple of events or places like the Quicksand, but they seem to be very... 'chat spammy' so it's very difficult to meet new people. On top of that, most of the LSes we've found or joined seem to have established cliques that make it a bit hard to get involved with anything.

Obviously I'm not saying everything or everyone's like that, we've just had bad luck so far that's all. We're going to keep trying, but I'll keep an eye out for the communities that have been recommended so far.

Thank you guys Smile

We try to post event announcements to the Levelers LS if we're attending and anyone is welcome to come along. It may be a bit tough though for intimate RP since the chat scroll is real. (Kind of like any over-crowded party where you can't hear the guy standing next to you yelling in your ear. XD ) We also have a Wednesday evening drop-in RP thing at the Bramble Lodge, but attendance has been low due to the summer lull / people taking a break til 3.4. If it's something you may like, just mention it on the LS or to me through pm and I'll run over! Big Grin You guys are both awesome and I'd love to hang out. <3

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Nimh - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 02:36 PM)ExAtomos Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 01:34 PM)Nymlyn Wrote: My husband and I have tried going to a couple of events or places like the Quicksand, but they seem to be very... 'chat spammy' so it's very difficult to meet new people. On top of that, most of the LSes we've found or joined seem to have established cliques that make it a bit hard to get involved with anything.

Thank you guys Smile

We try to post event announcements to the Levelers LS if we're attending and anyone is welcome to come along. It may be a bit tough though for intimate RP since the chat scroll is real. (Kind of like any over-crowded party where you can't hear the guy standing next to you yelling in your ear. XD ) We also have a Wednesday evening drop-in RP thing at the Bramble Lodge, but attendance has been low due to the summer lull / people taking a break til 3.4. If it's something you may like, just mention it on the LS or to me through pm and I'll run over! Big Grin You guys are both awesome and I'd love to hang out. <3
That sounds fun! And btw your LS is probably the biggest/only real bright spot we've really found on Balmung. Smile I'd love to get a chance to get to know some of the people in the LS better.

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - ExAtomos - 09-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 02:41 PM)Nymlyn Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 02:36 PM)ExAtomos Wrote:

Thank you guys Smile

That sounds fun! And btw your LS is probably the biggest/only real bright spot we've really found on Balmung. Smile I'd love to get a chance to get to know some of the people in the LS better.

Thank you. It's folks like y'all that make it so wonderful! Don't doubt that for a min! I've really enjoyed running content with you both. Seriously, if y'all wanna hang out just ping me in game and I'll come running!

Also...

[Image: tumblr_inline_ocxp7hwK7R1u9so96_500.gif]
/myfacerightnow

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Kilieit - 09-06-2016

For big events held at private houses, I find asking if there's side-rooms available for overflow is usually a good bet - as is attending with a friend, so there's no mistake that you're sat in silence because you're AFK (as opposed to being shy/overwhelmed).

Smaller tavern nights, watching for plots to get involved in, creating scenarios over IC linkshells that 1-2 characters can respond to... aaand talking OOCly over tumblr or twitter about "what would be cool for our characters to do", and then doing it... are how I've made most of my RP contacts.

ExAtomos' linkshell is a good btw.

In general though, I think my core piece of advice is this: be eager to initiate. Both in IC and OOC.

Most people don't have the time or energy to repeatedly reach out to strangers and try to draw them out of themselves. If you're present and active and giving "hooks" for people to join in with in the form of "idle-emotes" (like... your character is just standing there in-game, but they're not doing the same thing IC, right? They're looking around nervously, or smoking a cigar, or fiddling with a linkpearl, or something; emote that out loud.), then it's more others will be meeting you half-way. It's easier on them - and therefore more likely to result in something for you.

The same goes for OOC conversations in linkshells - bring up topics, suggest activities, offer help, ask if you can add people to your friends list for future contact, and just generally be chatty.

I get that this isn't always easy, and TBH I need to take a break for a day or two soon because I'm getting frazzled; need to nip that in the bud before it turns into burnout. But that's how I made the RP connections I have now, anyway!

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Nimh - 09-07-2016

(09-06-2016, 03:00 PM)Kilieit Wrote: For big events held at private houses, I find asking if there's side-rooms available for overflow is usually a good bet - as is attending with a friend, so there's no mistake that you're sat in silence because you're AFK (as opposed to being shy/overwhelmed).

Smaller tavern nights, watching for plots to get involved in, creating scenarios over IC linkshells that 1-2 characters can respond to... aaand talking OOCly over tumblr or twitter about "what would be cool for our characters to do", and then doing it... are how I've made most of my RP contacts.

ExAtomos' linkshell is a good btw.

In general though, I think my core piece of advice is this: be eager to initiate. Both in IC and OOC.

Most people don't have the time or energy to repeatedly reach out to strangers and try to draw them out of themselves. If you're present and active and giving "hooks" for people to join in with in the form of "idle-emotes" (like... your character is just standing there in-game, but they're not doing the same thing IC, right? They're looking around nervously, or smoking a cigar, or fiddling with a linkpearl, or something; emote that out loud.), then it's more others will be meeting you half-way. It's easier on them - and therefore more likely to result in something for you.

The same goes for OOC conversations in linkshells - bring up topics, suggest activities, offer help, ask if you can add people to your friends list for future contact, and just generally be chatty.

I get that this isn't always easy, and TBH I need to take a break for a day or two soon because I'm getting frazzled; need to nip that in the bud before it turns into burnout. But that's how I made the RP connections I have now, anyway!
Sadly I have to admit that the majority of that I have been actively trying (though it's admittedly been burning me out lately, hence my not being on as much the past few days.) I've tried tumblr in the past with little success, I've gone to a few events, with a friend, actively RPing and looking for people to draw in who look alone whenever we see them. I have tried to talk in Ex's Linkshell often enough, and I always offer to help run things whenever I can (I happen to love running dungeons, especially leveling dungeons) but I am a little shy (I have my good days and my bad days) so sometimes I get drowned out and just stop trying for a little while.

I guess the point of what I'm trying to say is back to my original topic, where it's frustrating sometimes being a veteran roleplayer who knows all the usual tricks, but 'has' to be on an overly populated server with established communities that are much harder to break into than the norm (at least in my experience). There's still a part of me that wants to try to establish a community on another server, but I'm not sure if there are enough other RPers like me who have difficulty on Balmung and would be willing to try, and I'd miss the few people I do happen to know and have fun with on Balmung. Though I guess that's what alts are for XD (I have this fascination with lalafell alts that I can't quite explain.)

Anyway I've gone a little off topic, but I'm still interested in communities on other servers, even if it's just for an alt. If anyone reading this happens to know of one that I can be invited to please let me know.

RE: Non-Balmung RP? - Ritsu - 09-07-2016

Well, I can certainly get that. I do wish there was another strong RP server that could be a hub for those that don't wish to transfer. Also would let people/FC get some housing on say a more empty server, unlike here where you either have to pay a ton or be very lucky.

I have thought about trying to help with that XD But I just lack the time to since I have my own FC and all that jazz.