Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer (/showthread.php?tid=17258)

Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Dreams of Priapia - 09-16-2016

An aspiring writer and student, perpetually listening to music and awkwardly flopping around. 

I am someone who comes from expansive years of experience in the realm of roleplay, having indulged in everything from table-top Dungeons and Dragons to leading hardcore RP guilds on World of Warcraft. It can be said that I live, breathe, and sleep storytelling and enjoy the art in all of its facets, the unlimited potential of roleplay in an MMORPG being no exception. It's also of interest to note that I come from a background of heavy involvement in Theatre and once held my own as the Lead Straight Ally of my highschool's Gay Straight Alliance organization. I tend to think of myself as being exceedingly easy to get along with and I always seek to find new ways to continue the wonderful possibilities of interactive narrative.

Until recently, I had roleplayed extensively in World of Warcraft for about three years on Moon Guard (US), and though I made many lasting memories and strong bonds that still continue, I feel that after playing the game since its launch and finishing out many of my characters' arcs, it's time for a fresh start somewhere else and perhaps something new entirely.

Though I am undoubtedly fresh and quite amiss upon the in-depth lore of Final Fantasy, this being my first encounter with any of the games, I am altogether focused upon absorbing as much information as I can before delving into things too deeply. As such, you'll probably see me asking quite a bit of questions as I make my foray into the lovely community that seems to be centered here.

With that said, you remember how I mentioned my perpetual listening to music? There's really nothing like getting to know someone through the music they listen to, so feel free to have this:
[youtube]5EuG7hxkxPs[/youtube]

Until I get myself leveled up and quite well centered in the game-lore, Shine On!

[sub]( I'll likely be posting later in this thread once I've got my character all set-up. )[/sub]

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Gegenji - 09-16-2016

Welcome to the realm of FFXIV!

Fortunately, a lot of the lore of the game is pretty self-contained. All the references to the other games are just that - references - so you won't have to read up or play the other games. They're just there so you can nod and go "Oh, hey, that's a reference."

That's not to say the game itself doesn't have its own little neat tidbits that might be squirreled away in some throw-away NPC line or lost in the changeover from 1.0 to ARR... but we have a bunch of folks who are pretty savvy on this whole lore-mongering thing. So, if you have any questions - just ask! Either here, or in the Lore Discussion section. Someone will likely pipe up with whatever relevant information is available for what you need. Thumbsup

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - SapphireSkylines - 09-16-2016

Hey that's really cool! I was a roleplayer on Wyrmrest Accord and Moon Guard for close to six years. I primarily played Alliance though, since my main characters were gnomes. Not sure if you were more of a Horde or Alliance person. But welcome to Final Fantasy! Hope you enjoy it.

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Parvacake - 09-16-2016

Heya and welcome! I was a MG baby myself Smile Was the first server and MMORPG I ever RP'd in! Back when Wrath was still in its prime. Otherwise I mostly did forum RP and chat rooms back on MSN Messenger and MSN Groups!

You have a lot of similar experiences as myself both as a RPer and a student (well, in my case I'm a former student haha)! If ever you need help or questions, just give me a poke Smile

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Etoile - 09-16-2016

Heya, and welcome. I'm from a DnD background myself. if you see me on I'd be happy to RP with you! This is really the best resource for learning the lore. If you have any questions give 'em a post and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Raeje - 09-16-2016

Hello and welcome. Upon reading your post, I immediately thought of two things:
1) Never call yourself an "aspiring writer." It's something that took me years to come to terms with, but if you eat, sleep and breathe writing, you're not aspiring, you ARE a writer. Now, you may or may not have anything published, but being a writer isn't about how famous you are, it's about being passionate. If you love it more than life itself, who is to tell you that you're not a writer? So I'm not going to call you an aspiring writer. Instead I will call you a "fellow writer."

2) I legitimately believe that you are my former self, travelling through time, if only to achieve the end result of ultimate chaos across the entire human race. Seriously, I already said that I struggled with coming to terms with being a writer. Aside from that, I finished my BA degree in theatre, oh...Several years ago. So if you ever want to talk about Sam Shepherd, Samuel Beckett, Shakespeare, or your favorite play (mine's 'Six Characters in Search of an Author'. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it) , then I am always lurking. Just find me in the dark corners. I'm the artsy beat poet lizard lurker who probably makes you feel like you're staring into a mirror (Insert 'Twilight Zone' music here).

Oh, and another creepy thing, I also played on Moon Guard. Nobody really accepted me in WoW though, so I didn't stick around.

But, alas, I have stumbled over my words for long enough. Welcome to FFXIV, and I hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoyed WoW. Roleplaying is a wonderful gift, and I feel more people should participate in it.

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Cecily Jisi - 09-16-2016

What-ho, new Warrior of Light! If you are ever in need of knowing anything outside of (or related to) Final Fantasy XIV, I highly recommend hitting up the Final Fantasy Wiki or better yet, the Game Trailers Final Fantasy Retrospective. It's a little outdated (it was made in 2007 after all), but it's still so great to watch!

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Dreams of Priapia - 09-17-2016

Thanks for all the wonderful welcomes! I've just begun delving into the game and have been enjoying it immensely, will likely be able to make my actual transfer to Balmung once those required days since creation have passed, and I can't wait. I really love how the lore is gradually opened up to you as you progress, and I'm just so hyped to see where it goes.

*Continuously praises title screen intro shot.*

[Image: Kd3iSD0.png]

(09-16-2016, 04:49 PM)Raeje Wrote: 1) Never call yourself an "aspiring writer." It's something that took me years to come to terms with, but if you eat, sleep and breathe writing, you're not aspiring, you ARE a writer.
-----
2) So if you ever want to talk about Sam Shepherd, Samuel Beckett, Shakespeare, or your favorite play (mine's 'Six Characters in Search of an Author'. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it)

1. That's fair enough, haha, though you well know that we writers always suffer from the curse of modesty. That said, you'll definitely being seeing some writing from me as I typically do indulge in sharing short stories surrounding most of my roleplay characters eventually.
2. I haven't gotten the opportunity to read that particular play, though my teacher in highschool occasionally made mention of it as one of his favorites, and I absolutely love anything that challenges conventional stagings as it seems to do (from the description of the play, I'm getting a very Brechtian vibe, which is great). As for my personal favorite, I'd ultimately have to give it to Will Eno's The Flu Season, partly because of the absolute hell I endured in playing the role of Man and also because of how powerful it is as a commentary on human nature (though, be warned if you do decide to delve into it, it isn't all that flattering a portrayal). I am instantly reminded of how long I can go on about this stuff, and want to rant about how difficult yet rewarding it was to put on The Flu Season as a piece of immersive theatre like the stuff that Punchdrunk is known for doing, but that would take aeons, so we'll leave it at a: We're definitely going to end up hanging out and talking about it for hours one day.

Oh, and perhaps for the sake of it, have one of the spooky photos we took back then for our production:
Show Content

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - SicketySix - 09-22-2016

Welcome to FFXIV and to the RPC website!

I didn't see anything about you making it over yet so just throwing it out there, you're transfer should be available now!

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - Dreams of Priapia - 09-23-2016

(09-22-2016, 04:40 PM)SicketySix Wrote: Welcome to FFXIV and to the RPC website!

I didn't see anything about you making it over yet so just throwing it out there, you're transfer should be available now!
Thanks for the reminder, I'll probably have to wait a little bit longer as I was finalizing the rest of my character list earlier today, but that just gives me more time to finish out a basic profile before I jump into things.

Bouncy

RE: Fresh to Final Fantasy, Long Time Roleplayer - SicketySix - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 12:02 AM)Dreams of Priapia Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 04:40 PM)SicketySix Wrote: Welcome to FFXIV and to the RPC website!

Thanks for the reminder, I'll probably have to wait a little bit longer as I was finalizing the rest of my character list earlier today, but that just gives me more time to finish out a basic profile before I jump into things.

Bouncy
Indeed it does!

Well, welcome to Balmung, whenever it does happen!