Hydaelyn Role-Players
Need some opinions thanks :) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Need some opinions thanks :) (/showthread.php?tid=17517)

Pages: 1 2

Need some opinions thanks :) - Vincent Sarkoza - 10-18-2016

I want to lore check and op check some of the new things i'm adding to vincent's character page so if you think something's wrong or could be done better feel free to comment below Smile 

((This next part is just some new equipment he's gotten, along with what he's carrying, his fighting style and his weaknesses and a brief history of his ninja lineage))

Quick History of Vincent's ninja heritage...

Vincent inherited the history, or rather the clan Gekko no Kage (Moonlight Shadow), through his master Mansa Musha whom he also has taken the name of as an alias after his death. In history, the Gekko no Kage's shinobi were few but powerful, as masters could only take on one apprentice and the completion of one's training meant the apprentice had to surpass and overwhelm the his or her master. It is a trial that ends in the master's death and this practice was meant to preserve and perpetuate "elite purity" of the clan. In some instances the master, who has spent countless hours honing the skill of his/her disciple, ends up killing the apprentice in the final hour. This meant the clan's shinobi, those who were able to take on apprentices, chose their disciples wisely and trained them diligently. Disciples are chosen at a young age and training begins for however many years it takes for the apprentice to surpass his/her master. However this practice proved unsustainable over time as conflict wore on, even though many shinobi didn't strictly adhere to the code, preferring to fight alongside their disciple. Even so, continued conflict with outside forces renders "elite purity" unsustainable,eventually leaving Mansa Musha as the clan's sole surviving heir until he came across Vincent. At the height of his final trial Vincent reluctantly strikes down Mansa, whom in his dying breath passes on the clan's final soul stone of many generations to Vincent.

Non-Combatant Equipment ((gear Vincent carries on a day to day basis)) 
Grappling Pistol
Impact (delayable)Smoke Grenade
Frying Pan
Lockpicks

Combat Ready Equipment  This is a comprehensive list of his battle gear. What he actually carries into battle is situationally dependent. 

Carried at all times when on Missions, etc. 
Mod-able Magitek Gauntlets both fitted with hidden wrist blades. 
Blade Functions: Extend/retract, projectile. 
Left Gauntlet fitted with Grappleshot that shoots and retrieves target. Lift capability:100 ponze. Range: 15 yalms
Gauntlet Functions: Enhanced Grip strength and fist durability
Magitek Grappling Gun (Pistol). Range: 70 yalms. Lift capabilities: 350 ponze

Shuriken
smoke grenades
Pair of daggers or short swords, scimitars, etc. 

Situationally Dependent Equipment
A comprehensive list equipment Vincent will only bring if he knows what adversaries he will be facing or if he has an idea of what to expect

"Hullbuster"
Short spear with diamond shaped charge at the end. Shaped charge end anchors to target upon impact. Can be thrown. Can be set to detonate on impact or delayed. Upon detonation copper liquifies as it explodes forward and hopefully pierces the target armor, injuring what is behind or underneath. Hullbusters are slung over the shoulder.

Shuriken bombs 
Lightning Shuriken 
Flashbang (stun grenade)  Causes immediate flash blindness, deafness, tinnitus, confusion and disorientation and loss of coordination and balance. Works best in-doors and within close proximity to target when outdoors
Incindiary Grenade 
Fragmentation Grenade 

Sickle and Chain

[Image: latest?cb=20150123120251][Image: latest?cb=20160215012841][Image: 7fc038ae77fba21dbcebd3e956db3400.jpg]

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Virella - 10-18-2016

This makes no sense lorewise. It sounds more like you are trying to roleplay some anime ninja villain and not so much a FFXIV ninja.

But in light of recent Dragoon thread, roleplay whatever you want. As long you enjoy yourself, and people around you do as well. Who cares? Just don't be surprised some people might not like roleplaying with you.

Best of luck o/

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Verad - 10-18-2016

I feel like you're placing undue emphasis on his exact equipment, It's very rare that knowing how much stuff he has access to is going to be necessary at any given time.

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Oli! - 10-18-2016

Personally I like to think that Interesting Backstories are things that re-emerge at appropriate times. Otherwise they remain uninteresting because they stay inaccessible. Almost all great Backstories in writing come up again somewhere, whether it's something subtle like Batman refusing to kill due to his Dead Parents backstory, or something major like Darth Vader's past coming back to haunt him--multiple times.

In fact, the resurgence of Backstory is often how we find out about said backstories in the first place; how do we know Darth Vader is Luke's father, and that he has a grudge against his mentor? Well, they both show up.

I'd actually go so far to argue that if a backstory never comes up, it's not only uninteresting, it's also useless. It stops being a backstory element and just becomes a trophy on the wall; "my character did this once upon a time." All I can do as both a player and another character is say, "cool story bro." I have no investment.

Questionable lore-compliance of your backstory aside, I would say re-do it with a focus toward making it something tangible and interactive, instead of something distant and static.

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Seye Qhesu - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 04:41 PM)Virella Wrote: This makes no sense lorewise. It sounds more like you are trying to roleplay some anime ninja villain and not so much a FFXIV ninja.

But in light of recent Dragoon thread, roleplay whatever you want. As long you enjoy yourself, and people around you do as well. Who cares? Just don't be surprised some people might not like roleplaying with you.

Best of luck o/

I must echo this statement. Lorewise, it is beyond the confusion of the Gods themselves as to what the hell the character would be. It looks as if you are focused on the wrong game/genre or are trying to make yourself an straight up Anime character. If you want to be remotely close to lore then ALOT of the story needs to be altered.

Then again, second echo . . .RP what you want. Just don't be surprised if no one takes you seriously or wishes to RP in return.

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Arcian - 10-18-2016

This is so anime that Miyazaki is rolling in his grave (and he's not even dead yet).

Jokes aside, Oli and Virella have basically summed up what I was going to say - there's no point in making your character's backstory As Cool As Possible if it never comes up or is accessible to others, and as far as I can tell there is no basis in established lore for anything you've posted here.

Also that is a lot of equipment and I'm not sure how it pertains anything at all (and it probably weighs a ton, but that's neither here nor there).

TL;DR - Play what you want, but be prepared for a lot of people having no desire to go Full Anime.

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Faye - 10-18-2016

I'm just going to say yes it's lore-breaking and yes it's OP because the others have summarized things well enough.

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Vincent Sarkoza - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 04:45 PM)Verad Wrote: I feel like you're placing undue emphasis on his exact equipment, It's very rare that knowing how much stuff he has access to is going to be necessary at any given time.
I didn't want people to feel like he just has stuff with him haha, but i suppose I don't have to be that specific. I can just keep the quantity to myself and roll with that.

yeah i figured as much lol, the backstory thing i was just curious about. If it werent you guys i was probably gonna kill it anyway. That aside though, are the gear too far fetched?

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Aaron - 10-18-2016

I'd uh... I'm all for rping what you want because it's your sub long as you don't pressure it on other people...

But as someone who used to try to pull similar stuff to this in game (I still cringe at what I used to do) I'd honestly suggest you research xiv ninja lore and change a lot of stuff.

If you're gonna be playing this game in the long run, you'll be happy you took my and everyone else advice as your rp connection will probably be extremely limited looking at this.

No offense either way, just sharing from my personal growth and experience.

(10-18-2016, 05:12 PM)Abelia Kir Armiger Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 04:41 PM)Virella Wrote: This makes no sense lorewise. It sounds more like you are trying to roleplay some anime ninja villain and not so much a FFXIV ninja.

Best of luck o/

I must echo this statement. Lorewise, it is beyond the confusion of the Gods themselves as to what the hell the character would be. It looks as if you are focused on the wrong game/genre or are trying to make yourself an straight up Anime character. If you want to be remotely close to lore then ALOT of the story needs to be altered.

Then again, second echo . . .RP what you want. Just don't be surprised if no one takes you seriously or wishes to RP in return.
Nah lol not tryna do that haha, that was something i spun up to see what people would think. Tbh I guess I kind of expected what kind of responses I would get but when you're on adderal...well things keep going haha. What I really wanted to ask people about was the gear and stuff Smile

(10-18-2016, 06:02 PM)Aaron Wrote: I'd uh... I'm all for rping what you want because it's your sub long as you don't pressure it on other people...

But as someone who used to try to pull similar stuff to this in game (I still cringe at what I used to do) I'd honestly suggest you research xiv ninja lore and change a lot of stuff.

If you're gonna be playing this game in the long run, you'll be happy you took my and everyone else advice as your rp connection will probably be extremely limited looking at this.

No offense either way, just sharing from my personal growth and experience
Are you talking about the back story part or the gear part? :o

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Caspar - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 05:56 PM)Vincent Sarkoza Wrote: yeah i figured as much lol, the backstory thing i was just curious about. If it werent you guys i was probably gonna kill it anyway. That aside though, are the gear too far fetched?

Speaking only of the gear, it's probably not so much any single item he uses so much as the combination of then all at once.

You should consider doing as Verad suggested and not worrying about keeping a detailed inventory, and/or narrowing it down to the few you really want him to use.

Thematically it is a very busy sheet. It's my opinion that the various abilities and items he carries clash with one another on a conceptual level. The Ninja are supposed to be stealthy but his unique skill turns you into a voidsent, which are abomination to Eorzea and draw considerable negative attention. It clashes conceptually with the existing mudra abilities. He's a Doman shinobi as far as I can tell, but his gear seems optimized for big fights and explosions. Not that Ninja can't do this mind you, it just seems kinda random and not very fitting.

Above all else, pay attention to the "what, why, how" of your character's abilities. What narrative purpose do these gadgets serve? Why does his clan have voidsent transformation on their menu? How did he master so many weapons at a young age and what consequences were there? Look at every aspect of your character and ask yourself if it's really needed, or just there because you think it's cool. You will find by paring things down to abilities that are thematically consistent with each other and the world, it gives you more room to develop him and wider options RP wise. If they already have so much, how would they progress, if at all? If they've already faced major challenges beyond most people, why should anything challenge him?

(10-18-2016, 06:17 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 05:56 PM)Vincent Sarkoza Wrote: yeah i figured as much lol, the backstory thing i was just curious about. If it werent you guys i was probably gonna kill it anyway. That aside though, are the gear too far fetched?

Speaking only of the gear, it's probably not so much any single item he uses so much as the combination of then all at once.

You should consider doing as Verad suggested and not worrying about keeping a detailed inventory, and/or narrowing it down to the few you really want him to use.

Thematically it is a very busy sheet. It's my opinion that the various abilities and items he carries clash with one another on a conceptual level. The Ninja are supposed to be stealthy but his unique skill turns you into a voidsent, which are abomination to Eorzea and draw considerable negative attention. It clashes conceptually with the existing mudra abilities. He's a Doman shinobi as far as I can tell, but his gear seems optimized for big fights and explosions. Not that Ninja can't do this mind you, it just seems kinda random and not very fitting.

Above all else, pay attention to the "what, why, how" of your character's abilities. What narrative purpose do these gadgets serve? Why does his clan have voidsent transformation on their menu? How did he master so many weapons at a young age and what consequences were there? Look at every aspect of your character and ask yourself if it's really needed, or just there because you think it's cool. You will find by paring things down to abilities that are thematically consistent with each other and the world, it gives you more room to develop him and wider options RP wise.
Oh no that whole voidsent thing is gone, it wad just an idea i was playing with in my head. So that's no longer an issue Smile. Focusing on the gear though i got my inspiration from batman, modern close quarterd combat, and gear that could possibly help mobility. I have been wondering if it's too many things yes so that's still something im working on.  It's not on here but vincent fights using gadgets, weapons, and ninjustsu in conjunction with one another. I havent had any complaints during rp fights fighting like that so i guess that's good. I was thinking everything listed would be him fully kitted expecting a fight and his chosen equipment depends on the missions and situations he expects to encounter.
The gear list was updated as a result of rp fights that almost killed him so he he felt h needed more advanced equipment to be able to keep up with the times.

RE: Need some opinions thanks :) - Verad - 10-18-2016

(10-18-2016, 05:54 PM)Vincent Sarkoza Wrote:
(10-18-2016, 04:45 PM)Verad Wrote: I feel like you're placing undue emphasis on his exact equipment, It's very rare that knowing how much stuff he has access to is going to be necessary at any given time.
I didn't want people to feel like he just has stuff with him haha, but i suppose I don't have to be that specific. I can just keep the quantity to myself and roll with that.

If you want to look at it in broad strokes, you could break the equipment down into one of several categories, as you've taken steps towards doing in your opening post: Defensive equipment, combat equipment, so on.

If you can refine those categories further to say four or five, then you can decide that in any given scene his equipment in one of those categories is lacking for one reason or another. This could be decided randomly or just by what makes sense in the circumstances.

Once you've decided this, it is therefore possible for him to be caught flat-footed by a lack of equipment in that one category when he really needs it, while still giving a sense that he is overall well-prepared.

All of the above presumes you want to avoid really granular bookkeeping, mind. If you're fine with keeping private track of his gear, more power to you.