Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hi Hi Hello - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi Hi Hello (/showthread.php?tid=1756)

Pages: 1 2

Hi Hi Hello - Ataru - 03-02-2013

Ataru here. Avid translator of things Japanese (I go by ClaymoreSmiley when I translate).

I've been an FF fan since my brother first rented Final Fantasy '2' for the SNES back when it first came out over here. I picked up 11 at least 3 times, but I just never really met anyone on there that made me want to keep playing it and without friends to party with I just didn't find that game fun enough to keep me interested.

I signed up here way back before 14 1.0 came out, but alas my computer was nowhere near good enough to handle that game and the reviews kept me off of it even after I had upgraded.

But now with 2.0 on the horizon and with a computer that can give me a decent benchmark score (or a PS3 if push comes to shove) I am ready to throw my chips on this pile one more time.

I've been an RPer for 12 years. I started on MU*s, migrated to forum RPs and even dabbled in some e-mail RPs. I've never been in a serious RP environment on an MMORPG and that depresses me. The two 'RP guilds' I ever joined gave me the following experiences:

1. A guild on Perfect World that told me not to level or change my equipment since it would break character and then said that there was no need to meet any of them in the game world as they mostly just RPed over Guild Chat...

2. A guild on Tera whose concept of RPing was: 'We're enemies with this other guild and we kill them on sight'

... so. Yeah. Not too thrilled. I'm hoping that, since the FFOnlines tend to be a little more lore-centric, I can find a Guild Linkshell Free Company? Or whatever they're called? Anyway one of those that is really serious about interesting, character-driven RP that is more than just relationship drama in a guild chat.

... and one that doesn't prevent me from also enjoying the game part of the game at the same time.

I'll probably be pre-ordering 14 2.0, and I look forward to seeing everyone there on day one. I'll be a total noob at first, as I didn't get in on 1.0 at all, but I'm hoping to have a fun time growing alongside everyone.

Let's be friends!

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Yssen - 03-02-2013

Welcome. Agreed. Let us be friends and cling together, Tactic's Ogre style. I am sorry to hear of your strange experiences in other MMOs. I suppose it serves as living example of "to each their own."

You will find a diverse, friendly group here, and I you will find something that fits what you are looking for. If you have questions, ask away! Looking forward to seeing you in game. ^ ^

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Vareal - 03-02-2013

Welcome to the RPC! :3

Speaking of preordering... if I get another spiffy leather bound notebook, I'll preorder another copy of FFXIV.

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Deirdre - 03-02-2013

Welcome~

If you need anything just ask anyone, we're a helpful bunch! ^-^

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Fearless - 03-02-2013

Hi, welcome.

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Ellie - 03-02-2013

Welcome to the RPC, Ataru! It doesn't sound like your previous experiences with MMO roleplay really added anything worthwhile, so I really hope you enjoy roleplaying in FFXIV.

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Mtoto Wamoto - 03-02-2013

Hey there and hello! Smile

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Ryanti - 03-02-2013

Jeese, I think your first impressions on MMO RP's were pretty bad, lol.

But I believe your previous experience with RP will help you in this case.

Anywho, welcome to the community. Let's get started on that whole friends thing. Bouncy

RE: Hi Hi Hello - CassandraJean - 03-02-2013

Hello!
I'm just starting FFXIV now too with the A realm reborn release, I missed 1.0 too, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is just starting to learn!

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Gerik - 03-02-2013

Hi nice to meet youuuu

RE: Hi Hi Hello - taltale - 03-02-2013

We have something in common! We were both introduced to Final Fantasy through our brothers! My big brother is brilliant c:

Well anyway, Ataru, welcome~

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Weffrey - 03-02-2013

Welcome to the fun! Smile

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Knave - 03-02-2013

Welcome! Hopefully your adventure with ARR will be so great that you forget about the bad experiences of the past. :)

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 03-02-2013

Fraaaaand.... *chews on this new person*. Done!

Everyone here is fairly nice and I seriously doubt you'll have such an experience as you did with those two other guilds, no matter who you join up with if you join up with anyone at all for XIV: ARR

So when you translate, do you translate the (is it) romanji (?) or the actual kanji/katakana/hiragana...Or both perhaps? And is it a hobby for you or a job? Or, again, both? Curiosity, because the idea that people translate for fun is foreign but appealing to me, and I don't think I've ever met an official translator and been aware of it. o.o *half Thai, cannot speak Thai, cannot read or write Thai* *brings dishonor upon her famiry*

(Watch me butcher everything because I refuse to employ google to find the solutions to my spelling dilemmas.)

RE: Hi Hi Hello - Ataru - 03-02-2013

(03-02-2013, 10:28 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Fraaaaand.... *chews on this new person*. Done!

Everyone here is fairly nice and I seriously doubt you'll have such an experience as you did with those two other guilds, no matter who you join up with if you join up with anyone at all for XIV: ARR

So when you translate, do you translate the (is it) romanji (?) or the actual kanji/katakana/hiragana...Or both perhaps? And is it a hobby for you or a job? Or, again, both? Curiosity, because the idea that people translate for fun is foreign but appealing to me, and I don't think I've ever met an official translator and been aware of it. o.o *half Thai, cannot speak Thai, cannot read or write Thai* *brings dishonor upon her famiry*

(Watch me butcher everything because I refuse to employ google to find the solutions to my spelling dilemmas.)

I translate mostly for fun. I have been paid for my translations but only because the person was really interested in seeing the thing translated, not because it was official. I do translate directly from the Japanese kana into English, though.

One of these days I should sit down and translate the FF11/FF14 novels from Japanese. I imagine they'd be a huge aid to the RP community... seeing how Japanese authors RP FF11/14.