Hydaelyn Role-Players
SE Posts More Lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: SE Posts More Lore (/showthread.php?tid=1777)

Pages: 1 2 3

SE Posts More Lore - E'irawen - 03-12-2013

So, SE apparently posted more lore regarding each race, along with naming conventions. There's quite a bit of interesting reading.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/491-Lore

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Ellie - 03-12-2013

That...is a lot of lore. That's amazing Big Grin

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Xenedra - 03-12-2013

Drooling obsessively all over this forum Big Grin

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Alothia - 03-12-2013

Oi, my name is all wrong! *cries*

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Mtoto Wamoto - 03-12-2013

M'toto of the Marmot tribe, sired by M'amoto Nunh, but on her family documents, someone messed up during the citizenship papers and spelled her last name as Wamoto. BOOM. HISTORY MADE. Cool

RE: SE Posts More Lore - E'irawen - 03-12-2013

I can't even begin with how wrong K'aworu's /entire/ name apparently is, lol. But it's kind of fun either way.

I'm not sure if I'll rename or rework his name according to this new lore or not. What about you guys?

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Rhostel - 03-12-2013

Mulling over new surname for Rhostel. Haft? Ardent? Stalwart? Surger? Embers?

Oh, and totally new names for her family. They won't even share surnames with her. :\

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Rhashi Nefhys - 03-12-2013

That is awesome! Nice find Big Grin

Looks like I can keep my name

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Varus - 03-12-2013

Was really an enjoyable read.

I might have to change Tyonis' surname to reflect his profession though....

But Tyonis Murderingpsychopath doesn't sound as great.

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Manari - 03-12-2013

I'm so blown away at how Square Enix keeps on making the story I wrote for Manari over a year ago completely legit and accurate. First they made Keepers being from the Black Shroud official, now they just said that Keepers take their mothers name and live in a matriarchal society, in small little tribes! It's like someone at SE is stealing my ideas!

Her birth name isn't too off, it's only 2 syllables "Mnahri" like Mna-Ree. But her last name, both birth and the one she took years ago aren't quite right. But I'm actually pretty freaking ecstatic about all this Keeper lore!

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Eva - 03-12-2013

Interesting stuff!  Thumbsup

I went ahead and updated the handbook to reflect the new info here as well.  Bouncy

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Gossamer - 03-12-2013

What great info! I've got a lot of reading ahead of me. Just read the thread on Miqo'te naming and I think I'm okay with N'klas' given name. Just have to change his surname to Tia, I suppose. Smile

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Kannadi - 03-12-2013

I suspect the newly-revealed lore will cause a lot of "whoops" reactions.

"Kannadi Albedo," for instance, is completely wrong for Anglo-Saxon naming conventions, but then again, so is she. Both her first and last name pertain to reflection, being that I designed her as an eventual Blue Mage. It's a fine name for an adventurer, but an inaccurate name for a Hyur Midlander.

So what? I'll just rationalize it away as a variation in culture. Besides, her family's wealthy, they can buy themselves whatever names they want.

Anyway, the lore on roegadyn names definitely came in handy for the alt I'll be making.

RE: SE Posts More Lore - allgivenover - 03-12-2013

Yes! This is exactly the information I've been waiting on. I've been wanting to hammer out my main's background for months but have been patiently waiting because I suspected they would finally clarify some lore bits for us.

RE: SE Posts More Lore - Kylin - 03-12-2013

This is great information! However, most long-standing XIV RPers aren't going to make drastic changes to their names at this point. Had this info come two years earlier, it may be a different story. It'll certainly come in handy for new characters we make though, as well as NPCs.

I figure there are millions upon millions of inhabitants in Eorzea. It's only natural not all of them follow the cultural conventions. A few hundred adventurers/inhabitants who stray from normal names certainly won't break anything. I figure if I have a character at any time that goes against the naming conventions and someone asks ICly about the name, a simple response would be: "I dunno, ask my parents." And that's the end of that.

Awesome info either way and glad they're at least giving it to us now, even if it is a little late for some of us. Looking forward to what other lore bombs they plan to eventually share with us via this new forum Smile