Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? (/showthread.php?tid=18845)

New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Hauntry - 03-14-2017

Hello everyone! (Ah man, this is a little intimidating.)

I'm not a new roleplayer by any stretch, but I'm super dang new to roleplay in the FF XIV community.

I've procured a copy of the Eorzian Encyclopedia and I have been browsing through it, through I'm not too far in. Somewhere in the middle of the Allagan heavy Umbral Era. Loving the book, by the way, and I really should devote the time to some heavy reading of those pages.

I have a few questions regarding the Lalafells and roleplay character creation. My main character is a Dunefolk (?) Lalafell whom, at the moment, I plan on RPing as a Black Mage. I'm not entirely sure of how I should go about roleplaying this character? Or where even to begin building it?

I have another problem, however. When Stormblood rolls around, I have this silly idea rolling around inside of my head for when he picks up the Samurai job. I want to make him... essentially, A Small Samurai. 

The Smalltosai, Shin Slayer (Haha)

Any help would be most appreciated. ^^;

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - SafetyGoggles - 03-14-2017

I plan on making an elezen samurai once SB rolls around. Together, we will be the smoll/toll samurai warriors of Eorzea!

Anyway welcome to ffxiv and the rpc! Enjoy your stay!

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Thunderbolt300 - 03-14-2017

Hey there, and welcome aboard to the RPC and FFXIV! Thumbsup

There's a section in the Encyclopedia Eorzea toward the back that covers the specifics of job classes, such as Black Mage. My general knowledge of them is that the core of actually playing a Black Mage in RP pretty much means they'll be evil in nearly all cases due to the destructive nature of the power they seek to wield. RP'ing as an evil character brings with it a whole other set of challenges- for example, they may likely spend their time in hiding for fear of persecution for the abilities they use. Still, read over that part in the back- should tell you pretty much everything you need to know!

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Deahfel - 03-14-2017

Hello and welcome to the RPC and Balmung! I think Kasi kind of covered what you are asking and I will let one of our lore experts speak to your race question. I would just chime in and say to RP them how you envision them. You can make it lore compliant and still put your own spin on things. I certainly don't think race would be a limiting factor in picking up an IC class of samurai unless you wanted it to be. Maybe that can be one of your personal story arcs is working to be accepted as a lalafell samurai?

Anyways, best of luck and I hope to see you around for RP sometime!

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Aya - 03-14-2017

Hi! Welcome to Balmung and the RPC!

When it comes to classes, jobs are always tricky.  The jobs in the game are often reserved for the Warrior of Light only, or for a very small and select group (often related to very rare access to knowledge, and soul stones).  Not all are so rare, but Black Mage is one of those that is exceptionally rare - because of their nature and their role in a previous cataclysm they are also, I believe, kill-on-sight for most realm authorities.

That said, Thaumauturges cover most of the same concept in a package tailor made for a Lalafel.  I would encourage you in that direction unless there is something very specific about the Black Mage that you want to capture for your character, but that title on its own will introduce a host of its own baggage.

This is probably obvious, but it is sometimes worth pointing out: the game allows your character to master any number of classes and jobs, but most RPers take a much more realistic approach to these sorts of things in terms of what they rolepay, and tend to focus on achievements that would be plausibly achievable.  Just because you have a class or job all leveled up, does not mean that you must, or should, RP it is an aspect of your character.

There are plenty of people who RP a character who is both a mage and a mighty warrior, but there are also plenty who may find that rather implausible.  Which path you want to walk really depends upon what sort of RP you enjoy, what sort of story you want to tell, and what sort of character you want to play.

Its probably worth a little thought about just what it is you'd like to do: play a little samurai, play a little mage or play a little mage who is also a samurai Smile

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Hauntry - 03-14-2017

(03-14-2017, 11:52 AM)Noh Wrote: Oh my goodness, I didn't expect to see so many responses while I was away! TuT I think reading through all of these posts have definitely given me a very good idea of a starting place for my character! Which is, from my experience, the best thing to have when you are at all confused with how to even create your character.

I plan on making an elezen samurai once SB rolls around. Together, we will be the smoll/toll samurai warriors of Eorzea!

Anyway welcome to ffxiv and the rpc! Enjoy your stay!
Aaaw yeah! Just, uh... If you don't mind me hitching a ride on your back every once in a while...

Deahfel
Quote:Hello and welcome to the RPC and Balmung! I think Kasi kind of covered what you are asking and I will let one of our lore experts speak to your race question. I would just chime in and say to RP them how you envision them. You can make it lore compliant and still put your own spin on things. I certainly don't think race would be a limiting factor in picking up an IC class of samurai unless you wanted it to be. Maybe that can be one of your personal story arcs is working to be accepted as a lalafell samurai?

Anyways, best of luck and I hope to see you around for RP sometime!

I think I will definitely have to skip a few pages and read ahead. Maybe book-mark my spot and come back to it once I've gotten the knowledge hidden in the back.

I had an idea while I was out where, somehow, an event causes Aki to take a step back and re-evaluate himself as a Black Mage. Maybe some catastrophic accident which leads him to drop the staff and pick up his sword for the sake of justice. Just an idea that popped into my head, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Like, three months ahead of myself.

Thunderbolt300
Quote:Hey there, and welcome aboard to the RPC and FFXIV! [Image: thumbsup.gif]

There's a section in the Encyclopedia Eorzea toward the back that covers the specifics of job classes, such as Black Mage. My general knowledge of them is that the core of actually playing a Black Mage in RP pretty much means they'll be evil in nearly all cases due to the destructive nature of the power they seek to wield. RP'ing as an evil character brings with it a whole other set of challenges- for example, they may likely spend their time in hiding for fear of persecution for the abilities they use. Still, read over that part in the back- should tell you pretty much everything you need to know!

I see, I see. What if, say, the character was more 'Chaotic Neutral'? Are there any notable Black Mages that are not pure, mustache twirling evil? Or perhaps an example of a Black Mage who uses the magic as a means to meet ends that aren't necessarily bad for others but beneficial to themselves?

More reseeach will have to be done.

Aya

Quote:Hi! Welcome to Balmung and the RPC!

When it comes to classes, jobs are always tricky.  The jobs in the game are often reserved for the Warrior of Light only, or for a very small and select group (often related to very rare access to knowledge, and soul stones).  Not all are so rare, but Black Mage is one of those that is exceptionally rare - because of their nature and their role in a previous cataclysm they are also, I believe, kill-on-sight for most realm authorities.

That said, Thaumauturges cover most of the same concept in a package tailor made for a Lalafel.  I would encourage you in that direction unless there is something very specific about the Black Mage that you want to capture for your character, but that title on its own will introduce a host of its own baggage.

This is probably obvious, but it is sometimes worth pointing out: the game allows your character to master any number of classes and jobs, but most RPers take a much more realistic approach to these sorts of things in terms of what they rolepay, and tend to focus on achievements that would be plausibly achievable.  Just because you have a class or job all leveled up, does not mean that you must, or should, RP it is an aspect of your character. 

There are plenty of people who RP a character who is both a mage and a mighty warrior, but there are also plenty who may find that rather implausible.  Which path you want to walk really depends upon what sort of RP you enjoy, what sort of story you want to tell, and what sort of character you want to play.

Its probably worth a little thought about just what it is you'd like to do: play a little samurai, play a little mage or play a little mage who is also a samurai [Image: smile.gif]
So, I take it that the Thaumauturge is more towards what I'm looking for, then? Rather than a full-on Black Mage? Because, like I said above, I'm not particularly looking to becoming a sinister villain. Aki just uses the magic as a mean to achieve personal ends... And because he thinks it's super neat to control (albeit, very clumsily at times) the powers of Ice, Fire and Lightening.

And as I let on, I'm not trying to make him this perfect magic caster. I have an idea in my head as Aki being a somewhat greedy shut-in who often takes enthusiastic walks (VERY enthusiastic walks) places on occasion.

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Aya - 03-14-2017

(03-14-2017, 03:14 PM)Hauntry Wrote: So, I take it that the Thaumauturge is more towards what I'm looking for, then? Rather than a full-on Black Mage? Because, like I said above, I'm not particularly looking to becoming a sinister villain. Aki just uses the magic as a mean to achieve personal ends... And because he thinks it's super neat to control (albeit, very clumsily at times) the powers of Ice, Fire and Lightening.

And as I let on, I'm not trying to make him this perfect magic caster. I have an idea in my head as Aki being a somewhat greedy shut-in who often takes enthusiastic walks (VERY enthusiastic walks) places on occasion.
I think that's right!  I am not very well versed in Thaumaturges, but I know they are based in Ul'dah and are at least relatively common.  This is the sort of magic you would study as an arcane student in Thanalan Smile

Its based upon channeling your own internal aether, if I remember correctly, and is mostly a destructive magic.

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Thunderbolt300 - 03-14-2017

Quote:Thunderbolt300
Quote:Hey there, and welcome aboard to the RPC and FFXIV! [Image: thumbsup.gif]

I see, I see. What if, say, the character was more 'Chaotic Neutral'? Are there any notable Black Mages that are not pure, mustache twirling evil? Or perhaps an example of a Black Mage who uses the magic as a means to meet ends that aren't necessarily bad for others but beneficial to themselves?

More reseeach will have to be done.

Whew. This is where it gets a little crazy, insofar as my understanding is concerned. Now, disclaimer: I don't play a Black Mage, and probably never will. So, the information I have may need to be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to Black Magic in particular.

But, my understanding of the usage of Black Magic is similar to how Necromancy works in Dungeons & Dragons; using either magic corrupts the fabric of reality wherever it is used, consuming the natural life force of the world and destroying it. It's usage- in any context- is always irrevocably evil. 

So, you have a few choices, just off the top of my head:

1. Your Black Mage is in hiding from bounty hunters and law enforcement. They shun their own craft and try not to use it. This is the trope of what is essentially a cursed character who is good at heart, wrestling with a darker evil within. Maybe they learned the craft, and later realized its true nature?
  2. Your Black Mage hides during the day, and plays their dark work away from the common eye. They may associate with criminal rings or other evil-aligned organizations for the resources to survive. They intend to play by the rules, and just not get caught. (I might have a bias for this one)
  3. Your Black Mage is an ends-justifies-the-means type of character; while evil, they are committed to rooting out evil wherever it appears. In essence, they fight fire with fire, and do things that good guys generally refuse to consider normally. However, we all know how slippery the slope to the dark side is.
  4. Your Black Mage is the typical mustache-twirling villain. I can't really recommend this one- characters like these tend to have a rather short life expectancy, rather than a long-haul future. 
Hope this is of some further help!

At least, if you're looking for connections to villainous groups, I might know some people. Wink

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Hauntry - 03-14-2017

(03-14-2017, 03:20 PM)Aya Wrote: I think that's right!  I am not very well versed in Thaumaturges, but I know they are based in Ul'dah and are at least relatively common.  This is the sort of magic you would study as an arcane student in Thanalan Smile

Its based upon channeling your own internal aether, if I remember correctly, and is mostly a destructive magic.
Besides the in-game cutscenes, is there anywhere I can get a little more information on Thaumaturgey as it pertains to FFXIV? Or am I sort of stuck with the info given from the quests?

Thunderbolt300
Quote:Whew. This is where it gets a little crazy, insofar as my understanding is concerned. Now, disclaimer: I don't play a Black Mage, and probably never will. So, the information I have may need to be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to Black Magic in particular.

But, my understanding of the usage of Black Magic is similar to how Necromancy works in Dungeons & Dragons; using either magic corrupts the fabric of reality wherever it is used, consuming the natural life force of the world and destroying it. It's usage- in any context- is always irrevocably evil. 

So, you have a few choices, just off the top of my head:

1. Your Black Mage is in hiding from bounty hunters and law enforcement. They shun their own craft and try not to use it. This is the trope of what is essentially a cursed character who is good at heart, wrestling with a darker evil within. Maybe they learned the craft, and later realized its true nature?

2. Your Black Mage hides during the day, and plays their dark work away from the common eye. They may associate with criminal rings or other evil-aligned organizations for the resources to survive. They intend to play by the rules, and just not get caught. (I might have a bias for this one)
    [color][font]
    [/font][/color]
  3. Your Black Mage is an ends-justifies-the-means type of character; while evil, they are committed to rooting out evil wherever it appears. In essence, they fight fire with fire, and do things that good guys generally refuse to consider normally. However, we all know how slippery the slope to the dark side is.
    [color][font]
    [/font][/color]
  4. Your Black Mage is the typical mustache-twirling villain. I can't really recommend this one- characters like these tend to have a rather short life expectancy, rather than a long-haul future. 

Hope this is of some further help!

At least, if you're looking for connections to villainous groups, I might know some people. [Image: wink.gif]
Two and Three sound right up Aki's alley.

He seems like the kind of Lalafell who would happily take up a 'fire-against-fire' stance on things. He's not usually hot headed, but he can get his knickers in a twist at the stray short-joke. While he's not generally fighting on the side of 'justice', he's not afraid to dish out a little pain (or try to) to those who who trample over his moral code.

And, of course, everything has a price. Sometimes including hunting down that guy who just ran off with a bar tab left with over 300k worth of gil. So, I suppose it boils down to him not really being a villain, but using his magic to make ends meat. 

Connections? I love connections. Connect me up! Put into the Matrix, Morphious!

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Sounsyy - 03-14-2017

Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC, Hauntry! I saw you had some questions related to lore so I figured I'd drop in and try to give some more resources to work with. I'm not sure which questions you held about your Dunesfolk, but the first link has a lot of great information available for them. As for Black Magic, the short explanation is that "Black Magic" was an ancient technique that allowed a magi to bypass their own aether limitations and draw aether (fuel for all magicks) directly from the planet. This eventually lead to a great war which bled the planet dry and a dark period of time lasting for several centuries wherein mages were hunted down and slaughtered in Eorzea. Black Magic was outlawed across the realm and knowledge of it was thought buried. In its place, the descendants of those Black Mages reverted to Thaumaturgy and wove the fabric of their magic into the very cultural and religious center of their nation to keep traces of their ancient ancestry alive in the modern day. There's a ton of lore that goes along with that short history blurb, and the links below are probably the best places to find a more detailed look at the particulars. Hope this helps! ^^ Lemme know if you have any more questions!

-Race Lore Compilation (Dunesfolk)
-Thaumaturgy Lore Compilation
-Mechanics and Aether Sources of Casting Magicks in Lore
-Thaumaturgy and the Manipulation of Astral/Umbral Polarities
-Black Magic Lore Compilation

You are welcome to take a gander at the Mischief's Coven in my signature below- we offer work via a Linkshell just as much as we do via the actual FC itself, so you don't need to join the FC necessarily. The Coven is ultimately an antagonist group and is, essentially, organized crime: The Mob. So, if you're looking for similarly unsavory types and people who won't thumb their noses at black magic out of hand, well... everyone's got their price. Wink You could end up an ally of the Coven, or someone who is trying to hunt them down, too.

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Ligardian Dreamer - 03-15-2017

Hello and welcome!

Huh? There's an actual encyclopedia book? Where?

For your lalafell inquiries, you can try to check out the Community board for that!

May the path you choose be filled with the light of the crystal!

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Thunderbolt300 - 03-15-2017

(03-15-2017, 12:09 AM)Ligardian Dreamer Wrote: Huh? There's an actual encyclopedia book? Where?

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/421917/encyclopaedia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

It's a genuine 10/10 product for RP'ers.

RE: New to FFXIV's RP community... And kind of the game itself? - Ligardian Dreamer - 03-16-2017

(03-15-2017, 08:44 AM)Thunderbolt300 Wrote:
(03-15-2017, 12:09 AM)Ligardian Dreamer Wrote: Huh? There's an actual encyclopedia book? Where?

Ask and ye shall receive:

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/421917/encyclopaedia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

It's a genuine 10/10 product for RP'ers.

Agh that price though... but sweet!