Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) (/showthread.php?tid=20474)

[Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Ari Belle - 08-31-2017

Alright so a little bit about myself. I have been playing FFXIV since just after the PS4 release. Typically speaking I spend most of my time crafting and raiding. However due to time restraints raiding has become extremely difficult. So I was hoping to branch out into a bit of role playing.

So I consider myself for the most part a pretty creative individual. I have always enjoyed writing, art, stories etc. However I have severe ADHD and mild dyslexia so doing open role playing is something I have been very self conscious about. As I tend to leave words out of sentences. >.<  When writing something it requires me to go back and do heavy heavy proofreading into order to fix the errors. Anyways I have decided to break out of my shell and really get into it.

Currently I am working on a story involving multiple characters that I created a long time ago. I will mostly be using my role play character as a center focus for my story. However I am wanting to get her into the world of Eorzea. Meet some people make some interactions and help use some of my experiences along the way to influence her story past the back setting.

Now I have been to some local bars and have been watching general surface interactions. That I feel pretty comfortable with. Its more the story written content that is done within linkshells and Free Companies that I have zero experience in. From the approach, the way its handled, how its even started up. Just so many questions...

I was hoping for perhaps someone seasoned that I could perhaps shadow or spend some time speaking to in discord etc that will help give me a bit of info on how the more "heavy" role play is done with in a MMO.

*Really hope I placed this in the correct place O.o If not super sorry.*
Anyways thank you for all those willing to help.

RE: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - PSDuckie - 08-31-2017

(08-31-2017, 01:50 PM)Ari Belle Wrote: Alright so a little bit about myself. I have been playing FFXIV since just after the PS4 release. Typically speaking I spend most of my time crafting and raiding. However due to time restraints raiding has become extremely difficult. So I was hoping to branch out into a bit of role playing.

So I consider myself for the most part a pretty creative individual. I have always enjoyed writing, art, stories etc. However I have severe ADHD and mild dyslexia so doing open role playing is something I have been very self conscious about. As I tend to leave words out of sentences. >.<  When writing something it requires me to go back and do heavy heavy proofreading into order to fix the errors. Anyways I have decided to break out of my shell and really get into it.

Currently I am working on a story involving multiple characters that I created a long time ago. I will mostly be using my role play character as a center focus for my story. However I am wanting to get her into the world of Eorzea. Meet some people make some interactions and help use some of my experiences along the way to influence her story past the back setting.

Now I have been to some local bars and have been watching general surface interactions. That I feel pretty comfortable with. Its more the story written content that is done within linkshells and Free Companies that I have zero experience in. From the approach, the way its handled, how its even started up. Just so many questions...

I was hoping for perhaps someone seasoned that I could perhaps shadow or spend some time speaking to in discord etc that will help give me a bit of info on how the more "heavy" role play is done with in a MMO.

I wouldn't consider myself a heavy RPer, but I do have experience with storyline RP.  I would definitely be willing to help you with that.

That said, keep an eye on this thread, as there are others who could help more than I can.

RE: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Kelsor - 09-02-2017

I dont believe there is anything different heavy RPers to casual(light) / Medium RPing aside from how committed you are to RPing. I like to define Heavy RP as that RPing is your main focus in the game. You join an RPing FC(or not, doesnt have to be), get super involved and immersed with your character and his/her story. Basically RPing is all you do on this game. If you do other things in the game, such as crafting, raiding and so on, you would fall into the Med/casual RPing. But this is just my opinion, since there is no real rule that determines whether a person is a heavy RPer or not.

But just like Tyll'a posted, I'm also willing to help with any questions you might have.

RE: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Ari Belle - 09-06-2017

Are either of you on discord?

RE: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Garrison - 09-06-2017

My FC categorizes itself as "Heavy RP," but as been said that distinction varies from person to person. It sounds like your main question seems to be about storylines, but if I'm off the mark I apologize. I will say the main thing about running or being part of longstanding story arcs is: flexibility. In normal creative writing, you figure out the story from beginning to end, adding detail and substance. RP storylines can't really work that way because it robs participants of effect on the story. Things don't go how you plan them, nor really should they. If you're wanting to run one, you create a solid skeleton of what you want the story to be and where its going to go, then you let it fill out as it happens.

Its super tempting to pre-determine the outcome of an event to further your story, but events like that can easily leave other people feeling like bystanders and they can lose interest. And I think that's fair, we all want to see the IC world change around us as our character interacts with it.

Anyways, I could continue ranting but I won't. Just one point I wanted to make about MMO RP storytelling. If you wanted to chat more about it, my Discord ID is: Grimnir#4433.

RE: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Kieron Lohengrin - 09-06-2017

(08-31-2017, 01:50 PM)Ari Belle Wrote: Alright so a little bit about myself. I have been playing FFXIV since just after the PS4 release. Typically speaking I spend most of my time crafting and raiding. However due to time restraints raiding has become extremely difficult. So I was hoping to branch out into a bit of role playing.

Heavy RP typically means staying IC most of the time, rarely going into OOC chat, and having long-term continuity in your character's life story. It's also behaving like a real person; i.e. walking instead of running when you're IC and responding to strangers approaching you IC.

That being said, given your background, you don't necessarily have to push yourself into ingame RP straightaway if you don't feel sure of yourself with the quick moment-to-moment improv it demands. Find yourself a partner or group that you can write stories with, do comfy forum posts and threads with, and you can ease yourself into it that way

RE: [Mateus] New to RPing would like some help :) - Ari Belle - 09-08-2017

(09-06-2017, 01:19 PM)Grimnir Wrote: My FC categorizes itself as "Heavy RP," but as been said that distinction varies from person to person. It sounds like your main question seems to be about storylines, but if I'm off the mark I apologize. I will say the main thing about running or being part of longstanding story arcs is: flexibility. In normal creative writing, you figure out the story from beginning to end, adding detail and substance. RP storylines can't really work that way because it robs participants of effect on the story. Things don't go how you plan them, nor really should they. If you're wanting to run one, you create a solid skeleton of what you want the story to be and where its going to go, then you let it fill out as it happens.

Yes most my questions have to deal directly with longer term story arcs. But I'll send you a message this weekend and perhaps you can answer a few questions. Thank you guys for taking a bit of time and answering me.