Hydaelyn Role-Players
Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Artisan House (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings (/showthread.php?tid=2074)

Pages: 1 2

Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Observant - 06-03-2013

I'm not sure if anyone's interested in brushes of the far east, but recently I've started drawing traditional chinese paintings, since I've been doing calligraphy almost all my life, this turns out to be quite easy. Chinese brushes are also the basis on which most Japanese stuff derives from, and I've been drawing some of that as well.

What I want to try to do is take this art style, my limited skill in it, and apply it to FFXIV sceneries. To that effect, if anyone is interested, and has some amazing screenshots, I'd love to take one and try to turn it into a painting.

Here's a sample I threw together in 5 minutes to test my brush and the new paper I bought.

[Image: tumblr_mntbbmp9Y11su7oufo1_1280.jpg]

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Alothia - 06-03-2013

That's awesome! I've always loved this style! I can't wait to see more of the scenery. Very cool~

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Observant - 06-03-2013

(06-03-2013, 06:59 AM)Alothia Wrote: That's awesome! I've always loved this style! I can't wait to see more of the scenery. Very cool~

Thank you friend! Any scenery from FFXIV you can recommend for me to draw?

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Alothia - 06-03-2013

I have some pretty nice scenic screens in this album if you'd like to take a look at them!

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Varus - 06-03-2013

Great to see some unique art styles being showcased. Can't wait to see what you and Ship come up with next!

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Nightsha - 06-03-2013

Oriental brush style is my favorite! So jealous...

I don't think I have any great scenery shots of FFXIV but I will most definitely be excited to see what you turn others' screenshots into.

Thank you guys for the comments, now I must do this! -fire lights up in his eyes-

And special thanks to Alothia for the album, I'll start from the first one and work my way down!

Okay, here is a preliminary draft of things. I drew in two styles, one an abstract western style that I feel didn't really work as well as I hoped with the brush. The other is, while not completely traditional, more closely aligned with traditional techniques. Comments! Biting criticism, as much as possible!

edit: Also, I need to adjust the f-stop settings on my camera, no need to point that out for now. XD
edit 2: Also, top = traditional, bottom = more abstract

[Image: tumblr_mntqpbXU5K1su7oufo1_1280.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mntp603rXJ1su7oufo1_500.jpg]

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Kari Illderthane - 06-03-2013

Your art very much reminds me of the Borderlands game openings keep up the good work! *Jelly of all artist on this forum*

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Nightsha - 06-03-2013

I love how the strokes of the top one give such gorgeous, subtle detail, especially on the mountain and bridge (the bridge is my favorite part).

The simplicity of the second one is beautiful, but the towers look a bit odd to me. But I also have no artistic talent, so I could just be mistaken when it came to the towers.

*waiting for more of your stunning pieces*

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Eva - 06-03-2013

This is a really lovely depiction of Ishgard!!  Beautiful work!  Heart

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Aysun - 06-03-2013

I really like the bridge in the top one for some reason. .-. Pretty~

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Weffrey - 06-03-2013

I look forward to viewing more of this style! Amazing job!

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Observant - 06-05-2013

Thanks guys for the amazing encouragement! I've literally just started drawing these things, so to see everyone actually not calling it ugly is very cool.

Having said that, please give me lots of biting criticism!

Also, whoever can tell me where this is ... gets lots of cookies and love. All the filename told me was "FF-RR-RW1.jpg" D: ... now I'm actually not even sure if this is FFXIV anymore.

Edit: I did add the blossom and the tree, the bottom left of the image was too silly to draw. XD
[Image: tumblr_mnxdo10ilU1su7oufo1_1280.jpg]

RE: Brush Calligraphy and Paintings - Rhostel - 06-05-2013

I cannot criticise your work. You are doing things I have no experience with. I'll just say you do a pretty darn good job of giving the impression of a thing without actually replicating the thing.

Also, I wanna say that's Limsa Lominsa, probably? Or maybe Ishgard from an unfamiliar angle?