Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung (/showthread.php?tid=21136)

Pages: 1 2

Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Ciel - 12-20-2017

Hello, my friends!

I’m taking a survey specific to the roleplaying community on Balmung.  I’ve been asked by The Moogle Post to write an article looking at what life is really like on the server. 

My intention is to provide this insight in as fair of a manner as possible.  Thus… YOU get to participate!  Because an article written solely from one person’s opinion can be biased without consideration to the ideas of others.

It may look lengthy, but I ask that you please take the time to fill the survey out honestly.  A few questions have blanks you can fill in if there are no options available which fit your individual responses.

This survey will be available for two weeks starting today, 12/20/17, and will close on 1/3/18.

Thank you!

CLICK HERE FOR THE SURVEY!

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Valence - 12-21-2017

If I may add a but of feedback, I tried answering at first but had trouble with the form of the survey at almost every step.

Questions like "everyone is open to walk-ups but nobody wants to initiate" for example, cause me trouble. I want to check it because it's true, but at the same time what do we consider walk-ups? You're in the wild and not RPing, and someone walks up to you? You're in the wild and RPing, and someone walks up to you? Is that made unnanounced? Is that after an OOC warning? Or do we consider walk ups making connection/contact at first (on forums or else) and then arranging something to happen? To me, especially that last one, are totally different situations. I'm opposed to random walk ups except MAYBE when I'm already RPing, because I'm picky with whom I RP. But making preliminary connections and prospecting before hand? Sure, sign me up. So, should I check that choice or not?

I also have a problem with how the distinction between "too lore strict FCs" and "very flexible FCs" is written. I want an option "most FCs are too RP flexible" or else it's biased in my opinion. You are just presenting on side and the middle ground, but not the other side of the coin there. I had to specifically check "Other" to add it myself. I don't think that's good form.

Same on the ERP frequency question, why adding "when it adds character development" only for "once in a blue moon"? This doesn't really concern me a lot, but I feel that it's biasing the answers quite a lot.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Kellach Woods - 12-21-2017

The survey is biased to make Balmung look good and its admitting to its own bias in the preamble. Not exactly anything people can take seriously.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Caspar - 12-21-2017

If you rewrite the questions to be as neutral as possible and remove the requirement for a name, I'll be glad to participate.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-21-2017

(12-21-2017, 04:28 PM)Caspar Wrote: If you rewrite the questions to be as neutral as possible and remove the requirement for a name, I'll be glad to participate.

From my understanding, the name is just to validate the player has a character in use on balmung. It's not part of the actual survey or posted results.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Nebbs - 12-21-2017

Maybe you could tell us what the aim of this is, and why it is needed? Why does it single out Balmung? Who would be helped by this? What's in it for Balmung or the community as a whole?

Perhaps, make it server agnostic or at least include all servers so a meaningful comparison can be given. Then when people ask what is the best RP server we can have a constructive answer.

I remain skeptical.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Warren Castille - 12-21-2017

(12-21-2017, 06:01 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Maybe you could tell us what the aim of this is, and why it is needed? Why does it single out Balmung? Who would be helped by this? What's in it for Balmung or the community as a whole?

Perhaps, make it server agnostic or at least include all servers so a meaningful comparison can be given. Then when people ask what is the best RP server we can have a constructive answer.

I remain skeptical.

It's literally in the first paragraph and expanded on in the second.

(12-20-2017, 08:26 PM)Ciel Wrote: Hello, my friends!

I’m taking a survey specific to the roleplaying community on Balmung.  I’ve been asked by The Moogle Post to write an article looking at what life is really like on the server. 

My intention is to provide this insight in as fair of a manner as possible.  Thus… YOU get to participate!  Because an article written solely from one person’s opinion can be biased without consideration to the ideas of others.

Ciel has been around forever and a day. If you need to elaborate on a question, there's spots to write in responses. I get being skeptical about random people jumping in with questions but I'm willing to trust her on this.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Nebbs - 12-21-2017

(12-21-2017, 06:34 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 06:01 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Maybe you could tell us what the aim of this is, and why it is needed? Why does it single out Balmung? Who would be helped by this? What's in it for Balmung or the community as a whole?

I remain skeptical.

I trust Ciel, and I can see from her post a reason she is doing it, not what this is really for, what is the end game, why is it needed, what "thing" is it trying to address?

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Melkire - 12-21-2017

fills out survey

Excellent idea, OP, thank you.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-21-2017

(12-21-2017, 09:05 PM)Nebbs Wrote:

I remain skeptical.

I trust Ciel, and I can see from her post a reason she is doing it, not what this is really for, what is the end game, why is it needed, what "thing" is it trying to address?

Lemme see if I can answer some of these.

Why does it single out Balmung? Who would be helped by this? What's in it for Balmung or its community as a whole?

It's a survey about Roleplayers specifically on Balmung. The roleplay experience is different on every server. For every game/community. It's not designed to paint a picture about roleplay in general or roleplay in FFXIV. It's a specific focus.

What's the aim of this? What is it trying to address?

As stated in the first sentence, it's for an article on The Moogle Post to write an article looking at what life is really like on the server. I feel like that's pretty self-explanatory. Like any survey, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the results. But also just like any survey, it could be completely inaccurate if only a certain group of people answer the survey questions. And the questions themselves may not cover all possible options. Valence addressed a few. So did I on tumblr.

So really? What's to be skeptical about? Perturbed by some of the questions, maybe. I feel like they could have used a little vetting before the survey went live. Perhaps they were. In lieu of -other- things going on on tumblr, I'd say this is a pretty benign and harmless thing to do. With its reason stated directly from the start.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Nebbs - 12-22-2017

(12-21-2017, 09:25 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 09:05 PM)Nebbs Wrote:

I remain skeptical.

Lemme see if I can answer some of these.

Why does it single out Balmung? Who would be helped by this? What's in it for Balmung or its community as a whole?

It's a survey about Roleplayers specifically on Balmung. The roleplay experience is different on every server. For every game/community. It's not designed to paint a picture about roleplay in general or roleplay in FFXIV. It's a specific focus.

What's the aim of this? What is it trying to address?

As stated in the first sentence, it's for an article on The Moogle Post to write an article looking at what life is really like on the server. I feel like that's pretty self-explanatory. Like any survey, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the results. But also just like any survey, it could be completely inaccurate if only a certain group of people answer the survey questions. And the questions themselves may not cover all possible options. Valence addressed a few. So did I on tumblr.

So really? What's to be skeptical about? Perturbed by some of the questions, maybe. I feel like they could have used a little vetting before the survey went live. Perhaps they were. In lieu of -other- things going on on tumblr, I'd say this is a pretty benign and harmless thing to do. With its reason stated directly from the start.

Normally there would be a reason to do this to answer some premise or such. That was what I was as after. As it stands it seems that "purpose" will be added after the evidence is gathered.

I have not even looked at the questions, but I will go and fill it in anyhow.

[Update] I filled it in and..
  • Overall fairly innocent questions but..
  • There seems to be an overly large interest in ERP
  • Some of the questions already discount some answers

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Kairu - 12-22-2017

(12-22-2017, 05:18 AM)Nebbs Wrote: Normally there would be a reason to do this to answer some premise or such. That was what I was as after. As it stands it seems that "purpose" will be added after the evidence is gathered.

The purpose is writing an article. It's not a scientific survey seeking to answer a premise. It's just gathering data for the article. There's no higher purpose to it.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Edvyn - 12-22-2017

survey looked like fun so i filled it out, questions look pretty innocent to me and i'm curious to see how the article ends up - roleplayers are a fascinating bunch

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Askier - 12-22-2017

Questions seemed pretty fair to me and only took like a minute.  Curious to see end results.

RE: Roleplayers' Perspective of Life on Balmung - Parvacake - 12-22-2017

I filled it out myself. If the purpose can't be gleaned from it being repeated and stated multiple times and you still have skepticism, you don't have to fill out the survey. I didn't see an issue with the questions and how they were worded though some of the questions make it hard to be more specific.

But like with any survey just pick whatever answer best suits you if you do fill it out. It helped that many of the questions allow you to pick more than one answer to help encompass more possibilities.

It's being used for an article. Participate...or don't. It's really not that difficult.