Hydaelyn Role-Players
Don't be scared! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Don't be scared! (/showthread.php?tid=2233)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Don't be scared! - Grike - 06-17-2013

Hey guys! This is SG and I couldn't help but notice something.

Some of the work here is really really intimidating. Lol. I mean seriously the art, the stories, the general personality - its all just amazing and maybe even a little daunting. 

For me personally, it took a long time to work up the courage to join Hydaelyn Roleplayers because of how much better everyone else seemed to be. I mean I was just a noob, not a very good artist, and with little to no mmorp experience  - how could I possibly contribute? Looking back on that I can't help but think that maybe there are other people who feel the same. So I thought I'd make this thread for the noobs - those with less to no role play experience; who don't already have friends in the community and just want to get their foot in the door. 

Of course I'm not saying the more experienced role players can't join in. Interacting with you is how we learn! But I just thought I'd create a kind of safe zone. One where it doesn't matter how noobish (noob-y?) you are as long as you just try. 

If anyone wants to role play but doesn't no how to start then contact me and we'll do something. Believe me, I'm just as nervous as everybody else. In fact right now I'm getting all twitchy just for putting up this post!

So say hi, meet and greet, and start role playing!

RE: Don't be scared! - Magellan - 06-17-2013

I approve of this thread ^_^

I used to run noob friendly rp classes and improvs in my old game just to create that 'safe zone' you mentioned, and to encourage people to get into the glorious world of tp.

This community seems to have a similar thing going; check out the RPC mentorship program thread to read up on it.

But I very much second rike's sentiment! I very much enjoy helping new ppl either plan out, test out their chars, or just plain ol talk about rp, so I'd be happy to chat ppl up OOC or IC anytime!

RE: Don't be scared! - Flynn Rosenberg - 06-17-2013

I've been RPing for about 5 years now (big Star Wars fan), mostly on Jedi Academy and SWTOR. But for the past year my RP skills have been lacking. Not involved as I used to be.

But I'm also a Final Fantasy / JRPG fan and love the beta so far. Only managed to convince 2 people to pre-order the game, my previous community just doesn't like anything Japan related *shrug*

I've heard some good things about the community, and it's a lot friendlier than SWTOR's so I'm hoping not to be on my own starting off here.

Being from the UK I'm still in favor of joining Balmung, but if Yoshi-P adds Legacy/RP tags for EU/NA etc then it would be more convenient for me.

But enough of that, hoping to RP with new/experienced players on release \o/

RE: Don't be scared! - Aldeus - 06-17-2013

The only people who should be afraid of experience, are those unwilling to learn Big Grin

RE: Don't be scared! - Grike - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 01:09 PM)JJDunn Wrote: I've been RPing for about 5 years now (big Star Wars fan), mostly on Jedi Academy and SWTOR. But for the past year my RP skills have been lacking. Not involved as I used to be.

But I'm also a Final Fantasy / JRPG fan and love the beta so far. Only managed to convince 2 people to pre-order the game, my previous community just doesn't like anything Japan related *shrug*

I've heard some good things about the community, and it's a lot friendlier than SWTOR's so I'm hoping not to be on my own starting off here.

Being from the UK I'm still in favor of joining Balmung, but if Yoshi-P adds Legacy/RP tags for EU/NA etc then it would be more convenient for me.

Also Star wars! I rp'd on the old republic too. Though Only a little bit. Got into Death's Regiment but couldn't stay becasue of issues. I was an imperial healer op. You?

Look me up then! I rp as a healer so it's nice to get into groups (helps me kill things faster) Though I'm in the states so the timing might be a little difficult.

Also..Yay! SWTOR! I played with Death's Regiment (rp guild) for a little bit but couldn't stay due to issues. My char was an imperial healer op. You?

*crosses fingers* don't say jedi, don't say jedi, don't say jedi...

(06-17-2013, 01:13 PM)Stalkingrike Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 01:09 PM)JJDunn Wrote: I've been RPing for about 5 years now (big Star Wars fan), mostly on Jedi Academy and SWTOR. But for the past year my RP skills have been lacking. Not involved as I used to be.

Also Star wars! I rp'd on the old republic too. Though Only a little bit. Got into Death's Regiment but couldn't stay becasue of issues. I was an imperial healer op. You?

Look me up then! I rp as a healer so it's nice to get into groups (helps me kill things faster) Though I'm in the states so the timing might be a little difficult.

Also..Yay! SWTOR! I played with Death's Regiment (rp guild) for a little bit but couldn't stay due to issues. My char was an imperial healer op. You?

*crosses fingers* don't say jedi, don't say jedi, don't say jedi...

Jedi was my main for a few years xD Bad choice now that I look back. Most Jedi RPers I met were all wannabe superheroes, never could feel involved with that type of crowd. Jedi were everywhere. My other main was a pilot who, funny enough, I RPed with for about 3 months and had a lot more memorable events than my Jedi had ever done. Being a bounty hunter was fun for a while too.

Yes, timing might be difficult. After being convinced about ping, timing is the next concern of mine. I'm usually off by 10pm here, which by then people over seas have gotten home from work or school.

RE: Don't be scared! - Xenedra - 06-17-2013

Awe, don't be afraid! Honestly everyone I know here is reeeeally excited to see all the new faces! We want new friends to RP with :3. I'm always up for RP as well, so don't hesitate to ambush me in game (Xenedra Ambreaus) or on skype (dreadpiratexen).

RE: Don't be scared! - Eva - 06-17-2013

Even the most awesomest, expert artists or RPers were new at it once - and possibly marveling at someone else.  So definitely stick with it, make friends, and most importantly have fun!!

RE: Don't be scared! - Rhostel - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 02:18 PM)Eva Wrote: Even the most awesomest, expert artists or RPers were new at it once - and possibly marveling at someone else.  So definitely stick with it, make friends, and most importantly have fun!!

Quoted for utter factuality.

RE: Don't be scared! - Curtis West - 06-17-2013

A very inspiring thread to a new RPer. Thank you for posting it. I will come back here for my newbish questions/observations should I not find an available mentor.

RE: Don't be scared! - Tristian - 06-17-2013

I'm new to RPing inside an mmo. Ive played MMOs a lot, from wow to swtor to maple story. If you can name it, I've probably played it.

As for RP, I RP with my g-friend over skype and I play D&D with some of my friends.

They never came together so I'm going to be really new to the concept of not describing what I'm doing. So I could use some help with it. Plz pm me if your interested in helping me with overcoming this problem. Blush

RE: Don't be scared! - Magellan - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 05:37 PM)Tristian Fullbuster Wrote: I'm new to RPing inside an mmo. Ive played MMOs a lot, from wow to swtor to maple story. If you can name it, I've probably played it.

As for RP, I RP with my g-friend over skype and I play D&D with some of my friends.

They never came together so I'm going to be really new to the concept of not describing what I'm doing. So I could use some help with it. Plz pm me if your interested in helping me with overcoming this problem. Blush
*Pm's*

Though I'm relatively new too, I've really dived into it headlong, and really like to both share what I have learned, and look for answers to what I haven't with other people. It's a lot less intimidating when others are standing beside you asking the same questions you have! Tongue

RE: Don't be scared! - Grike - 06-17-2013

(06-17-2013, 05:37 PM)Tristian Fullbuster Wrote: I'm new to RPing inside an mmo. Ive played MMOs a lot, from wow to swtor to maple story. If you can name it, I've probably played it.

It's actually not that different. I mean, when I rp'd in swtor you still described what you were doing but you had to keep it short and fast - can't let the conversation move on before you throw in your two cents, right?

Here's and example of how I rp'd in swtor ( as limited as that time was.)

K'hazs ears twitched as the flock of baby yellow birds continued to nip at his tail. "Chocobo's. Why is it always chocobos?"

I wouldn't do anything in game wise...except maybe stand next to a chocobo. But that's just me. More experienced rp'ers might have better adivce.

RE: Don't be scared! - E'irawen - 06-17-2013

I will admit, I have been mostly active since November when 1.0 shut down, but even today I am still really intimidated by a lot of users here. ;n;  I'm not really sure why... everyone has been more than kind to me! I still haven't really RPed much with anyone. Nothing super heavy, I guess? I'm still really looking forward to doing it in-game, but kind of terrified at the same time.

But yes...just kind of chiming in and uh. ... Something. 

... Hi.

(06-17-2013, 05:48 PM)Kaoru Wrote: I will admit, I have been mostly active since November when 1.0 shut down, but even today I am still really intimidated by a lot of users here. ;n;  I'm not really sure why... everyone has been more than kind to me! I still haven't really RPed much with anyone. Nothing super heavy, I guess? I'm still really looking forward to doing it in-game, but kind of terrified at the same time.

But yes...just kind of chiming in and uh. ... Something. 

... Hi.
It's pretty much like starting a new job. Nervous at first but once you're in you get used to it and everyone around you has been or is in the same boat. I still get intimidated by anyone with loads of experience (or even better English and grammar when they write stories and actions). I look at theirs and then to mine and think why didn't I go to a better school ><

Everyone's been there.