Hydaelyn Role-Players
Tips for leveling - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Tips for leveling (/showthread.php?tid=2492)

Tips for leveling - Nox - 06-28-2013

Alright, I hit this point where I only have access to one quest (and I'm that awkward level where it's extremely difficult and there's not much I can do about it. The quest is "To Guard a Guardian", for those curious). I've done every levequest I can for now and I really just need to level once, maybe twice. Seeing as grinding monsters would take quite a while, what's a good way to gain some exp while I wait for my levequest allowance to reset? Should I just run around looking for fates? (Not a very rp discussion, I'm sorry)

RE: Tips for leveling - Averis - 06-28-2013

I got stuck on the same quest. Since it's beta, I'm not too worried about leveling. Seems many people are complaining about the difficulty of that quest. Since you aren't stuck on the island La Noscea, you can run to Thanalan and grab some quests there.

RE: Tips for leveling - Nox - 06-28-2013

Yeah, I was like "Must beat quest." then I remembered that I'm losing my character come phase 4 and I'll have to start all over again (just finished taking notes on his creation though, so I'm good). So, I'm not too worried about it now. Might just try out a different class to see how it plays. So far, all I've touched are the Thaum and the Lancer classes.

Edit: Yeah, some of the missions are kinda hard, but they aren't impossible. A little challenge is healthy. I only found one that I had to get help with and this one... well, no clue about this one.

RE: Tips for leveling - Vareal - 06-28-2013

If you run into those problems at launch, or even now in the beta, remember that you have access to your Hunting Log that gives you a goodly amount of exp when you complete a category and an even bigger boost when you complete a level. So don't fret, there are ways around your leveling issues. And, of course, once at Open Beta (phase 4) and launch, you'll have access to the content finder (or duty finder, whatever they call it) so you'll be able to join a party and go through a dungeon, granted your at a decent level for one.

I really hope that they have dungeons and instances for all levels, to some degree anyway. But we'll see.

RE: Tips for leveling - blackdrakon - 06-29-2013

You know what the nice thing about beta testing in P3 is? You're getting the opportunity to be completely clueless and/or reckless before anyone else. You can get your "Ops" moments out of the way now because nobody really cares how many times you die. Nor are they going to think you're an idiot for charging a mob 4x your size. This is kind of that time you want to take on those "Oh my god, did he really just do that?" moments with quests and figure out some crazy insane way of winning nobody would have dreamed of with gear that wasn't slated for a beta wipe. P4 is really our head start ahead of head start and is the point in time we should start taking the things we do and making it part of our character's history. You might surprise yourself with what you can do when you don't really care and actually have it work out.

RE: Tips for leveling - Aldeus - 06-29-2013

No matter how tedious grinding is, just remember, nothing will ever be as hard as Final Fantasy XI Frustrated

RE: Tips for leveling - Averis - 06-29-2013

So are many people planning to take what they learn from beta to level really fast in P4/Live? Or do you plan to balance out leveling to role-playing or just want to role-play, period.

I'd like to take my time and smell the virtual flowers, probably as most role-players do, but sometimes I get swept up in the launch rush where everyone is running around all crazy, leveling. I actually haven't gotten that far in beta and I plan to play an Arcanist, so that experience will be all new. So I don't know what to expect.

RE: Tips for leveling - FreelanceWizard - 06-29-2013

I'm basically playing the same character in a single class (CNJ) so that I don't spoil my experience with other cities and classes. Also, healers are always needed (especially with only one class that can do it right now), so I can easily test group content and make sure it's balanced, fun, and easy to understand. Finally, specializing in one class means I can level it up and test the mid-tier content with a fresh 2.x character, which should help the devs.

I'm strongly leaning towards playing THM (assuming Arcanist isn't available) in phase 4 or possibly starting as a Marauder so I can hang out in my favorite city. Either way, I'll be playing stuff I didn't play in beta, so it'll be new, and that'll slow me down. I fully expect to have my leveling hijacked by RP, and I'm good with that. Smile

As a side note to the OP, pick up Cure from CNJ and the quest will be much easier. Failing that, be very careful about pulling too much aggro in the second wave of the first half of the duty and make sure you have a Hi-Potion and an Antidote. I can't stress that last part enough. During phase 2, don't attack the guy who's not attacking you, use your defensive cooldowns, and max out your DPS as much as possible. The duty is hard (or damn near impossible for a THM, I'm told), so I expect a rebalance at some point. You do need to be level 15, though, to have a shot at beating it.

RE: Tips for leveling - CallmeYahweh - 06-29-2013

The Hunting Log, and FATEs really speed up the leveling process. A gold rank on a FATE gives a lot of XP, some gil, and (once you're there) a hefty chunk of seals from your Grand Company of choice.

I'd definitely echo what everyone else is saying at this point: buy a hi-potion or two, an antidote, and be careful about your HP. Cure makes this incredibly easy I hear, as well, and have heard more than once of it just being totally cure tanked for the most part.

RE: Tips for leveling - Desphiria - 06-30-2013

(06-29-2013, 03:35 AM)Averis Wrote: So are many people planning to take what they learn from beta to level really fast in P4/Live? Or do you plan to balance out leveling to role-playing or just want to role-play, period.

I'd like to take my time and smell the virtual flowers, probably as most role-players do, but sometimes I get swept up in the launch rush where everyone is running around all crazy, leveling. I actually haven't gotten that far in beta and I plan to play an Arcanist, so that experience will be all new. So I don't know what to expect.

When P4 starts and the character gets wiped, I'm gonna be an Arcanist too, now as for your question, I wouldn't mind trying to balance rping and leveling it'd be nice to take a break and stuff you know?

RE: Tips for leveling - Averis - 06-30-2013

(06-30-2013, 01:50 AM)Desphiria Wrote: When P4 starts and the character gets wiped, I'm gonna be an Arcanist too, now as for your question, I wouldn't mind trying to balance rping and leveling it'd be nice to take a break and stuff you know?

I'm actually under the impression that Arcanist might not be in P4. If not I'll probably start as a conjurer.

RE: Tips for leveling - Nox - 06-30-2013

(06-30-2013, 02:02 AM)Averis Wrote:
(06-30-2013, 01:50 AM)Desphiria Wrote: When P4 starts and the character gets wiped, I'm gonna be an Arcanist too, now as for your question, I wouldn't mind trying to balance rping and leveling it'd be nice to take a break and stuff you know?

I'm actually under the impression that Arcanist might not be in P4. If not I'll probably start as a conjurer.
I'm going to try what Desphiria is wanting to try. Balancing leveling and rping. I know that for sure. 

And it'd be pretty... mean to throw out this awesome looking class, then not even have it. It'd really hurt Mar quite a bit too, I'd think. I see quite a few people complaining about how Mar is the only class to start in Limsa right now and that it's way more difficult than it needs to be because of that.

RE: Tips for leveling - Niteshade_Rune - 06-30-2013

(06-29-2013, 03:19 AM)Aldeus Wrote: No matter how tedious grinding is, just remember, nothing will ever be as hard as Final Fantasy XI Frustrated

Ah those were the days, for me FFXI was my first mmo, so if wasnt really even 'hard', more like everything that came after was easy haha.

So many good memories from then

RE: Tips for leveling - FreelanceWizard - 06-30-2013

(06-30-2013, 07:02 PM)Niteshade0 Wrote: Ah those were the days, for me FFXI was my first mmo, so if wasnt really even 'hard', more like everything that came after was easy haha.

So many good memories from then

I feel the same way about EQ1 (including the banging my head against the wall Smile ).

These younger players, they don't know what hard is! It was fire and brimstone, I tells ya! You die, you lose a level, that's like a day of work gone! Gone! And we had to walk to dungeons, uphill both ways, through mobs so tough they'd look at you and you'd explode! Now get offa my lawn! Big Grin

RE: Tips for leveling - Myxie Tryxle - 06-30-2013

Can you get kill chain bonuses in groups?  I haven't tried joining parties yet, so I don't know how they work.  If you can, just find another player or two in the same boat as you and run some kill chains for an hour or two.  They don't last long when you're soloing, but with two or more, you can probably maintain a good chain.  Also, if you haven't been doing it before, try to log out in an inn or other resting zone for the rested experience bonus on your primary class.