Hydaelyn Role-Players
detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: detailed Garlean Empire lore? (/showthread.php?tid=3103)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ares D'Argent - 07-25-2013

Like the title says, is there any detail about the Garlean Empire aside from what's on the site?  I'm basically looking to see what raced belong to them, are they even Hyur(human), what is the life like for an ordinary citizen, when do they get enlisted in the military and etc...  I know they're very technologically advanced, they've invaded twice and released Bahamut. 

The reason I'm asking is because I'm creating my Dragoon as an ex-Empire character who defected after seeing the carnage the release of Bahamut has wrought.  I don't want to write something that would clash with the lore for the Empire either so I'm trying to get as much info as I can.  Please and thank you. Smile

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ildur - 07-25-2013

Artorias! How's that abyss walking hobby of yours? Tongue

Back on topic: There's this on the Final Fantasy WIKI. I -think-the Empire has pretty much all of the playable races in its ranks, except for lalafells, maybe, because they don't dwell on the north (and that's where the bulk of the Empire's forces are. There's a cutscene where I'm quite sure one of the engineers was a Roegadyn, and one of the Legate's on 1.0 was implied to be an elezen.
The Empire has also conquered Ala Mhigo, one of the city-states, and are conscripting/recruiting new soldiers from there. Seeing how all the known Eorzean city-states are basically cultural boiler plates, its safe to assume Ala Mhigo would have all races represented too and that the Empire is only racist against beastmen.

Also, the Empire has rigorous training and brainwashing for their low-key troops. So making him part of the military will make the whole defecting trickier to explain. Not impossible, mind. The wiki seems to imply this only happens in conquered nations, so if your character comes from the Empire's main continent, perhaps he was not subjected to those practices. Alternatively, you could make him a civilian that aided the military in some way.

On a side note: As far as I know, the Empire wasn't deliberately trying to release Bahamut. They were trying to nuke the Primals and, for whatever reason (probably tricks by someone, I guess), they thought that bringing down the lesser moon would do the trick. Of course, it kind of didn't.

Quick edit: Oh, and if you are wondering about their naming conventions, there's no thread for it like there is for the playable races. But, by seeing how the Legates and some other garlean NPCs are named, using germanic and roman names is probably a good idea.

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ares D'Argent - 07-25-2013

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes the Abyss walking was awesome.Tongue

Anyway for the character history I'm having it that he was born and raised in the Empire with the belief that they were doing a good thing and that the beast races were a threat to the world and that they were nothing but uncivilized bloodthirsty barbarians.  Hence him turning the other way when it came to committing acts of genocide.  In time though he does get to see the other side of things and eventually turns against the empire when Bahamut is released and pretty much wipes out everyone.  At least that is the game plan for this character.  As for the names well, I'm pretty much going with the name Artorias Rivendare (I love this last name) but we shall see how it goes.

Thanks for the link too, I will be putting it to good use Smile

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - K'tahrl - 07-25-2013

Pardon the intrusion but I think the falling of Dalamud(and subsequent release of Bahamut) was not in the Empire's actual wishes but Nael Van Darnus' plot.  There is if I recall a cutscene between Nael and another Legatos arguing about having anything to conquer after Dalamud would decimate everything and that that was not the Emperor's command.

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ares D'Argent - 07-25-2013

I will keep that in mind, thanks for letting me know.  I am still researching all of this so any input from all of you lore junkies would be helpful before I make the first draft. I would like to be as accurate as possible in order to make this concept work. Smile

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - K'tahrl - 07-25-2013

Well if you want there is this http://www.twitch.tv/thaze_tv/b/338928300 which has every major cutscene that happened in 1.0, so it should have a bit of lore in a visual setting for you.

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ildur - 07-25-2013

I never played 1.0, so the details of its plot aren't something I am sure of. Some players did mention that Darnus' Legion (or at least the army that clashed against the Eorzean Alliance in Cartenau) was somehow being manipulated to disobey the Emperor. There's also a cutscene (the same cutscene I mentioned before, actually), where one of the NPCs implies that the Emperor had given the unconquered regions as "lost" and that the Legate's orders made no sense. This NPC was quickly killed by one of the Legate's best friends, naturally.

In any case, I'm sure someone with a bigger Knowledge: FFXIV1.0 Lore skill will come around at some point and clarify.

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Naunet - 07-25-2013

(07-25-2013, 10:47 PM)K Wrote: Pardon the intrusion but I think the falling of Dalamud(and subsequent release of Bahamut) was not in the Empire's actual wishes but Nael Van Darnus' plot.  There is if I recall a cutscene between Nael and another Legatos arguing about having anything to conquer after Dalamud would decimate everything and that that was not the Emperor's command.

I'm fairly certain Nael van Darnus was tempered by the primal - basically driven mad with a desire to free Bahamut. He then manipulated the Garlean military into doing just that, claiming that bringing down Dalamud would destroy Bahamut when truly it would free him.

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ares D'Argent - 07-26-2013

Hmm I could probably find a way to work off that.  We shall see. Smile

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Merri - 07-26-2013

I'm just gonna copy-paste a reply to a PM I sent out earlier because there's no way I'm typing it all again. Also going to spoiler it because it's huuuuge.

Show Content

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ares D'Argent - 07-26-2013

WOW!!  Thank you so much for this info, it will help a LOT and I am pretty sure at which point my character defects to the enemy side. Smile

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Kyatai - 07-26-2013

Wow merri... Incredible post and a ton of great info! 
* insert Wayne & Garth's 'not worthy' here* Wink

Seriously, thanks... Helps me a lot too in my research.

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - Ildur - 07-26-2013

Indeed, that was a nice lore dump. Now go ahead and do one about magitek. You know you want it!

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - lady2beetle - 07-26-2013

(07-26-2013, 12:51 AM)Merri Wrote:
Show Content

Can I ask you for a Magitek history lesson when you have the time? *bats eyelashes*

RE: detailed Garlean Empire lore? - allgivenover - 07-26-2013

I would also enjoy a lesson on Magitek.