Hydaelyn Role-Players
FC vs LS - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: FC vs LS (/showthread.php?tid=3862)

Pages: 1 2 3

FC vs LS - Jomoru - 08-22-2013

I've noticed afew setups where the FC was PVE/OOC while the LS was built to be the rp end. That seems to me slightly backwards. I mean the known perks I see for FC include Housing and that seems much more Rp rewarding than anything PVE rewarding.

is there something I am not quite getting?

RE: FC vs LS - Desmond Aryll - 08-22-2013

To each their own. There's tons of options for LS/FC's already so it stands to reason you'll find any combination of uses soon if not now.

CoolCool

RE: FC vs LS - Moondoggie - 08-22-2013

Most of the perks for a FC seem to involve buffs so it makes more sense for a FC to be based on progress leveling and instances. Guild housing is nice but players by the sound of it will have the chance to have their own place anyway. I can see a few situations where a FC might be used for RP only but for the most part they benefit player advancement so much it'd be a waste not to use it for that.

The LS provides links to other RP'rs and a place to have collective RP through your own chat channel and you can have more than one so it makes more sense to use those for the RP end instead of throwing all your eggs in one basket.

RE: FC vs LS - Jomoru - 08-22-2013

what buffs are there for FC outside housing?

RE: FC vs LS - Ashren Dotharl - 08-22-2013

I never understood why RP and PvE were seen as being so vastly separated. Why can't one have their cake and eat it to? The Blades have an OOC LS made for PvE organizing and what not while our FC is treated as being IC. The only reason I could see the argument that FC needs to be OOC would be if you never intended to actually play the game just because you were an RPer.

Also as far as I've seen so far, the only FC buffs they have are things like higher yield when gathering and more XP.

Here we go, found the list:

The Heat of Battle -Increases EXP earned through battle by 5%. -Duration: 24h
Earth and Water -Increases EXP earned through gathering by 5%. -Duration: 24h
Helping Hand -Increases EXP earned through crafting by 5%. -Duration: 24h
A Man's Best Friend -Increases EXP earned by companions by 5%
Brave New World -Increases the attributes of all members under level 10 by 10%. -Duration: 24h
Live off the Land -Increases Gathering by 5. -Duration: 24h
What You See -Increases Perception by 5. -Duration: 24h
Eat from the Hand -Increases Craftmanship by 5. -Duration 24h
In Control -Increases Control by 5. -Duration: 24h
That Which Binds Us -Increases spiritbonding speed. -Duration: 24h
Meat and Mead -Increases duration of food effects by five minutes. -Duration: 24h
Proper Care -Slows gear wear by 10%.
Back on Your Feet -Reduces duration of Weakness after being revived by 10%. -Duration: 24h
Reduced Rates -Reduces teleportation fees by 20%. -Duration: 24h

RE: FC vs LS - Eva - 08-22-2013

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, I think.

For my part, I think a FC geared towards an individual RP group makes a great deal of sense, for the reason the OP mentioned among others (the structured rank listings, etc.)  For smaller guilds who might not progress as quickly, it may make sense to cluster together into a FC if leveling up the FC stuff is also a priority.

I find the FC buffs to be kind of marginal though (hardly game-altering), and it's been my opinion that these Free Companies are very well suited to some of the RP groups that are out there.  The only major draw is that folks can only belong to one and that might hamper membership a bit, particularly for people who like to have the option of belonging to multiple RP guilds.

(08-22-2013, 07:07 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: I never understood why RP and PvE were seen as being so vastly separated. Why can't one have their cake and eat it to? The Blades have an OOC LS made for PvE organizing and what not while our FC is treated as being IC. The only reason I could see the argument that FC needs to be OOC would be if you never intended to actually play the game just because you were an RPer.

Also as far as I've seen so far, the only FC buffs they have are things like higher yield when gathering and more XP.

Here we go, found the list:

The Heat of Battle -Increases EXP earned through battle by 5%. -Duration: 24h
Earth and Water -Increases EXP earned through gathering by 5%. -Duration: 24h
Helping Hand -Increases EXP earned through crafting by 5%. -Duration: 24h
A Man's Best Friend -Increases EXP earned by companions by 5%
Brave New World -Increases the attributes of all members under level 10 by 10%. -Duration: 24h
Live off the Land -Increases Gathering by 5. -Duration: 24h
What You See -Increases Perception by 5. -Duration: 24h
Eat from the Hand -Increases Craftmanship by 5. -Duration 24h
In Control -Increases Control by 5. -Duration: 24h
That Which Binds Us -Increases spiritbonding speed. -Duration: 24h
Meat and Mead -Increases duration of food effects by five minutes. -Duration: 24h
Proper Care -Slows gear wear by 10%.
Back on Your Feet -Reduces duration of Weakness after being revived by 10%. -Duration: 24h
Reduced Rates -Reduces teleportation fees by 20%. -Duration: 24h

Thanks that does clear things up slightly

RE: FC vs LS - FreelanceWizard - 08-22-2013

To provide another concrete example, the reason Mysterium's OOC channel is its FC chat isn't because the FC isn't an IC entity (it is), but because the "one FC" limitation would keep people from joining our IC chat. So, the IC channel is an LS, so we can invite people from other FCs who are allies or ICly members of the group. The FC itself is, however, the IC organization of the group.

RE: FC vs LS - Naunet - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:07 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: The only reason I could see the argument that FC needs to be OOC would be if you never intended to actually play the game just because you were an RPer.

That argument makes no sense. o.0

Shared storage and the buffs provided by housing items and such are extremely useful for PvE/PvP-focused guilds. There's also name recognition, and it's possible that completing runs as an FC (since the game tags you) will provide achievements/notoriety, which is a significant draw in terms of team building and recruitment (no one ever sees what LS you're in).

Honestly, the FC/LS set-up screams to me that it's the perfect solution to "Do I go with a PvE guild or an RP guild?" I can get my RP from the multitude of connections made via linkshells, all the while sating my hardcore gaming thirst with a PvE-focused free company.

RE: FC vs LS - Eva - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:17 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: To provide another concrete example, the reason Mysterium's OOC channel is its FC chat isn't because the FC isn't an IC entity (it is), but because the "one FC" limitation would keep people from joining our IC chat. So, the IC channel is an LS, so we can invite people from other FCs who are allies or ICly members of the group. The FC itself is, however, the IC organization of the group.

This is kind of how we're probably going to be doing it with Crystalline as well after seeing it in action in Beta, since a couple of our members wanted to join other FC's for varying reasons. Our plan is not really to use the FC chat for anything substantial and keep most of our content/conversation happening over the linkpearl. We're still hammering out all the nuances though since there's that balancing act between wanting to keep an accurate roster and use the FC to its fullest (thus providing perks to those members who remain a part of it), but also not wanting to exclude anyone or leave anyone feeling like a second-class member. It's tough.

RE: FC vs LS - Ashren Dotharl - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:22 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(08-22-2013, 07:07 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: The only reason I could see the argument that FC needs to be OOC would be if you never intended to actually play the game just because you were an RPer.

That argument makes no sense. o.0

Shared storage and the buffs provided by housing items and such are extremely useful for PvE/PvP-focused guilds. There's also name recognition, and it's possible that completing runs as an FC (since the game tags you) will provide achievements/notoriety, which is a significant draw in terms of team building and recruitment (no one ever sees what LS you're in).

Honestly, the FC/LS set-up screams to me that it's the perfect solution to "Do I go with a PvE guild or an RP guild?" I can get my RP from the multitude of connections made via linkshells, all the while sating my hardcore gaming thirst with a PvE-focused free company.
All you've proven to me is that FCs are good for PvE/PvP, but not that they NEED to be OOC. Like I said, why can't you have your cake and eat it to? Why does being in an RP Guild have to be mutually exclusive from being in a PvP or PvE Guild? Just because we RP means we for whatever reason can't also be a progression based guild?

As you said, that argument makes no sense.

RE: FC vs LS - AkhutaiAngura - 08-22-2013

I'm in the camp of preferring an IC FC, as well.

I mean.. You don't have a guild hall, if you only rely on LS's for RP.

Granted, I'm in Ash's FC, so I've got an IC FC that is also going to be doing endgame content - And like him, I'm unsure why the two have to be seperate. I don't understand the strict rules of keeping an FC OOC only.. When it can be both,a nd both can benefit from it. that's not to say you can't have a LS to RP that's the same as the FC, except it allows other people in.. The way I say it, The Blade's FC chat would be for communication between guild members, private from any 'allies' tat we have, that would have access to our LS. 

People. Always over complicatin' things. ^.~

Ash's company does look tempting, on the otherhand I've never been a big fan of Antiheroes...

RE: FC vs LS - Naunet - 08-22-2013

(08-22-2013, 07:27 PM)Ashren Snow Wrote: All you've proven to me is that FCs are good for PvE/PvP, but not that they NEED to be OOC. Like I said, why can't you have your cake and eat it to? Why does being in an RP Guild have to be mutually exclusive from being in a PvP or PvE Guild? Just because we RP means we for whatever reason can't also be a progression based guild?

The vast majority of the time, a guild that tries to do both ends up having to choose to primarily focus on one or the other. Either the RP begins to suffer in frequency as people focus more and more on running dungeons and preparing/carrying out raids, or players begin to shirk their PvE/PvP responsibilities in favor of more roleplay. The former happens more often than the latter, as guilds that get into PvE tend to bring in players who start chafing at the bit, so to speak, and demand more and more time spent on PvE activities. It's also problematic from a recruitment standpoint, as PvE guilds and RP guilds have dramatically different recruitment requirements. The former may need to search for very particular classes/jobs and may need to set certain capability requirements; these kinds of restrictions can be detrimental to an RP guild, which tends to want to take in anyone who fits the guild's theme ICly, regardless of class or ability.

The fact of the matter is they are two very different beasts. Yes, you can be a roleplayer and also PvE well. But nine times out of ten, you are not going to be able to successfully run a competitive PvE guild that is also a very strong roleplay presence. The demands are simply too disparate. Note that I emphasize competitive. Casual PvE is certainly more than viable for any guild, but the amount of resources and dedication it takes to push the front lines in PvE (and even PvP, depending on the game) tends to win out over RP if a guild tries to do both.

Focusing my RP organization(s) into linkshells negates the conflict of interest between RP and PvE guilds and allows both to flourish on their own.

RE: FC vs LS - AkhutaiAngura - 08-22-2013

I disagree. COmpletely.

In WoW, I was Alliance side on Moonguard. Been there since the server opened.. Was in a guild called the Saviors of Sanctuary - They've also been there since the server opened, and still are. 

We were one of the top raiding guilds on the server, and we still held RP events three or four times a week. We just happened to find RPers that also liked to raid.. And, maybe could task better. I dunno. But we did both, and did it very well. If we fell short of a run because we didn't have enough guildies, the leader and a few of us officers had connections and we could pull from a raiding guild we were friends with - Filling our empty spots with members of theirs that had missed out on a raid, or had an alt they wanted to run with.