Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help With Character Development - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Help With Character Development (/showthread.php?tid=3979)

Help With Character Development - Goodeburger - 08-25-2013

Hello everyone due to the current downtime that we are experience I thought I'd take advantage of the helpful community with help on an alternate character. I don't have much figured out right now and know very little about Dunesfolk culture. 

Here is Jojowefu Babawefu or Jejenin Kokonin. I am unsure of which name to choose.
[Image: 9594085802_435183c347_m.jpg]
I don't know if I want him to be an arcanist or guardian. I know that I want him to be a Warrior of Light, just now returning to society after emerging from the timeslip.

I know I want him to be somewhat of a detached warrior or mage: careful, cautious, quiet, calm but not shy. I need to find some faults for him to not make it so that he is a mary-sue type character.

This is where I ask you all to help with my character development! Throw some faults for my character at me. Some things that'll make him stand out from the other warriors of time and stuff. I love you all! ♥

Persona
Flaws
  • Pyrophobia - recurring nightmares from near death experience with meteor before being engulfed in the timeslip. Suggested by Myxie Tryxle

RE: Help With Character Development - Myxie Tryxle - 08-25-2013

Post traumatic stress is one possibility. Maybe at the exact moment he was shunted in the time stream, there was a meteor with his name on it streaking directly towards him, and he had resigned himself to die. He could have a recurring nightmare about it and regularly wake up in night sweats right before the moment of impact. This could manifest as pyrophobia, where he's afraid of flames and fire based attacks, leading to anxiety and mistrust around thaumaturges and marauders (I think overpower, the marauder AoE threat attack, is depicted as a burst of flame).

RE: Help With Character Development - Goodeburger - 08-25-2013

(08-25-2013, 04:11 PM)Myxie Tryxle Wrote: Post traumatic stress is one possibility.  Maybe at the exact moment he was shunted in the time stream, there was a meteor with his name on it streaking directly towards him, and he had resigned himself to die.  He could have a recurring nightmare about it and regularly wake up in night sweats right before the moment of impact.  This could manifest as pyrophobia, where he's afraid of flames and fire based attacks, leading to anxiety and mistrust around thaumaturges and marauders (I think overpower, the marauder AoE threat attack, is depicted as a burst of flame).
Ah-mah-gawd, I love it. That gives him a reason to be quiet too and constantly wary of his environment. Constantly on the look out for fire or anything flame based. 

There is one flaw we have!

RE: Help With Character Development - Myxie Tryxle - 08-25-2013

Happy to help! Just bear in mind that either way you go (gladiator or arcanist), if at any point he wants to maximize his job capabilities, he's going to have to face that fear. A gladiator who doesn't dabble in marauding or an arcanist who doesn't dabble in thaumaturgy are both missing out on some signature cross-class abilities. Forcing himself to overcome that fear for his own personal growth should lead to some very interesting stories (which is to say I'm not saying this to discourage the idea). Conflict is the root of good storytelling.

RE: Help With Character Development - Goodeburger - 08-25-2013

(08-25-2013, 04:26 PM)Myxie Tryxle Wrote: Happy to help!  Just bear in mind that either way you go (gladiator or arcanist), if at any point he wants to maximize his job capabilities, he's going to have to face that fear.  A gladiator who doesn't dabble in marauding or an arcanist who doesn't dabble in thaumaturgy are both missing out on some signature cross-class abilities.  Forcing himself to overcome that fear for his own personal growth should lead to some very interesting stories (which is to say I'm not saying this to discourage the idea).  Conflict is the root of good storytelling.
It's a good idea nonetheless. I like to have internal conflict with my characters. It leads for great stories like you said and who can know what kind of people he'll meet on the way!