Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP vs. Game Play - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP vs. Game Play (/showthread.php?tid=4228)

Pages: 1 2 3

RP vs. Game Play - S'demyx Tia - 09-02-2013

Anyone else feeling like they're actually RPin' a lot more than they get in their game play? (When you're actually able to get in).

I feel like I'm RPing a lot more than actually playing. And I kinda feel bad that my levels are so wack. I think my highest is lvl19 Marauder, because I spend all my time away from game play!

I hope I'm not the only one like this. Big Grin

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Draheim - 09-02-2013

RP is Game play. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. It's part of how we play the game, thus, game play.

And while I -do- have Kira at 35 PLD, I've been RPing a fair amount with her, as well, so you aren't alone.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Laellia - 09-02-2013

Hey, at least roleplayers are always the last to complain about the lack of content. We make our own! Heart

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Remis Locke - 09-02-2013

I am a very strange case of Roleplayer. For some bizarre reason I feel the need to have reached the cap or at least obtained some amazing looking outfits before I can start roleplaying. Don’t ask me why, that must be my reward at the end, my end game.

On Final Fantasy XIV however, I’ve decided to throw that old-time tradition out of the window, I’ve just not got round to it yet. I’ve hit 30 and made myself a Paladin, as soon as the servers sort themselves out I’ll be putting all of my effort into getting Remis out there and meeting new people.

That and I need to search for a Free Company of like-minded roleplayers, I need to do some research.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-02-2013

I need to stop giving myself an capped level goal. I work so hard to level in games lately I just neglect RP altogether. Q_Q

Edit: At least I'm not alone either. I'll probably take up your philosophy, Remis.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Cato - 09-02-2013

I haven't done much role-play yet aside from brief encounters with my partner's character whenever he's managed to get online after work. I'm pretty eager to find a group of reliable, like-minded role-players to interact with since I tend to prefer long term character driven interaction rather than one off chance meetings.

I've also been pretty impressed with all aspects of the game so far and so I've shamelessly focused on adventuring and soaking up the flavour lore I've found during my character's journey! Now that I've got a better understanding of both the game's mechanics and the setting itself I'm very tempted to start fresh with a new character entirely - taking my time and role-playing much more frequently.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Moondoggie - 09-02-2013

Honestly i've not found any real RP going on so i've just been leveling. I'd really like to finish leveling to get White Mage because it's kind of part of my characters storyline and i'm almost there now. Taking longer than i would like because of how little i've been able to get on and play the game.

Would like to try doing some RP though at some point just to take a break from playing because the game mechanics have started to bore me a little bit. Too many annoying fetch quests where i get sent from one side of the world to the other over and over and the combat is dull  and easy. Coming from Tera to this game has made the combat system look even worse.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Ildur - 09-02-2013

I too have the 'tradition' of reaching the level cap before starting to roleplay in any significant ammount. Though I tend to jump on randon on-the-field roleplay every now and then. If I see it.

I think the main reason there's not much roleplaying going around is, besides that the non-roleplayers probably outnumber us greatly, that all outfits are locked behind a level. If you want your character to be a business man that dresses well, first you have to level up to at least 15-25 (depending on if you are a mage or not) before seeing any nice, 'high' class outfits. Otherwise, you are stuck wearing the potato sacks, pirate shirt or full suit of bronze armor which are all fine and all, but not all characters would wear them ICly.
This would be somewhat alleviated if we had an outfit tab.

(09-02-2013, 09:10 PM)Ildur Wrote: This would be somewhat alleviated if we had an outfit tab.

Ah yes, the outfit system of LOTRO, gone but most certainly not forgotten. How I miss thee…

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Falkner - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 09:10 PM)Ildur Wrote: This would be somewhat alleviated if we had an outfit tab.

(09-02-2013, 09:14 PM)Remis Locke Wrote: Ah yes, the outfit system of LOTRO, gone but most certainly not forgotten. How I miss thee…

Can't agree more with both of you, gentlemen. Thumbsup
Although I do think that if the system got implemented, what we're going to see a lot are kittens with swimsuit in the dungeon. Big Grin

(09-02-2013, 09:18 PM)Falkner Wrote: Although I do think that if the system got implemented, what we're going to see a lot are kittens with swimsuit in the dungeon. Big Grin

Is it a little bit creepy that I’m willing to make that sacrifice?

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Asyria - 09-02-2013

Oh you'll see hyurs in swimsuits too. Mine still has her superspecial godlen bikini (though my catgirl has all colors o_o) from that summer festival back then.

That said... I can't agree that roleplay is gameplay... to me gameplay is something that gives xp and I'm not getting xp for RP! Unlike in pen&paper games.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Cato - 09-02-2013

I'm just glad there's skimpy outfits for male characters as well as women in this game, which makes for a refreshing experience. I've pieced together a set for Theodric to wear in Costa del Sol that consists of tight, revealing leather. Heh heh heh. It's also ironic that this skimpy armour was a quest reward in the frozen region of Coerthas of all places.

On a side note, I'd love to see an option to hide earrings. That'd be wonderful for role-play.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Lan Darklyn - 09-02-2013

WoW's system to change the looks of armor was a pretty nice thing for roleplayers.

RE: RP vs. Game Play - Kyatai - 09-02-2013

right now... I just don't feel 'stable' enough to devote time to RPing... since I tend to be more of an immersive, focused RPer vs a tavern, idle chat sort. I still keep getting the spontaneous boot from the game just -playing- it. (as I type this, got booted from the game running to a quest destination) Part of me just wants to sit in a rest zone and craft -just in case- I get booted... at least I'm getting rest XP if I can't get back in.