Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts (/showthread.php?tid=4365)

Pages: 1 2

Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - BlessedSilence - 09-07-2013

Hello!

As I played through the quests, I have been coming across strange Eorzean words strewn in with the text.  At first I thought some were typos, but it seems it is added flavor!

So I thought to make a list of them, if anyone would like to use in their RP.  Keep in mind, my translation comes from word in the sentence with the context it was used in.

Measurements

Ilm == Inch
Fulm == Foot
Yalm == Yard
Malm == Mile

Onze == Ounce
Tonz == Tons

Time Measurements

Nonce == Moment
Bell == Hour
Moon == Month
Nameday == Birthday

((The three above, though sounding normal, gave the above context in the sentence))

Other

Anyroad == Anyway
Forefend == Protect/To Defend Against (Cute Courtesan: Twelve forefend! They simply won't give in!)
By the by == By the way

If you come across any more, please post below with the translation you think it is and I will add it!  Also if you feel something means different than listed, post that too!

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - erosskye - 09-07-2013

Very nice. Thumbsup

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Nimarhie - 09-07-2013

Yalm = yard

There was some sort of switching with the term fortnight (irl term that means a two week period), but I can't think of what it is.

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-07-2013

Ro there~ I was reading this and vaguely recalled another thread relating to time? There's some more things on there, but maybe this would help, too.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=454&highlight=ilm+fulm+ponz

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Aysun - 09-07-2013

Here you go: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Five_Ages_-_An_Eorzean_Chronology

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - BlessedSilence - 09-09-2013

I added yalm so thank you for that!

Looking over the 2 links given.  Thank you so much!

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Fystrael Abylstyrwyn - 09-12-2013

So Bell == Hour and isn't just seaport think a la ship's bells?

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - BlessedSilence - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 02:19 PM)penniless1 Wrote: So Bell == Hour and isn't just seaport think a la ship's bells?

From what I can tell yes.  They use it in the context of something like "Three bells ago ..." and this was in Gridania.  So I can't see them use it in a context with ships.

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - K'nahli - 09-18-2013

Forefend -
Help Us (?)  / Forbid (?)

Source:
Quote:Cute Courtesan: Twelve forefend! They simply won't give in!

By the by -
By the way

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Swift Nightclaw - 09-18-2013

Is Anyroad used in Limsa and Gridania?  I've only noticed it mainly in Ul'dah. Wondered if that's a local phrase or Eorzean.

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Naunet - 09-18-2013

I want to murder whoever came up with the phrase "must needs". Every time an NPC says it, I want to stab them in the eye. xD

"must needs" - an absurd way to communicate extreme urgency, when "we must" and "we need to" just isn't enough!

*bludgeons it to death*

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Swift Nightclaw - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 04:53 PM)Naunet Wrote: I want to murder whoever came up with the phrase "must needs". Every time an NPC says it, I want to stab them in the eye. xD

"must needs" - an absurd way to communicate extreme urgency, when "we must" and "we need to" just isn't enough!

*bludgeons it to death*

There have been times where I've not been entirely sure if it's Eorzean dialogue or just an oversight in translation leading to Engrish.

All your base are belong to us!
Must needs your base!

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Vinter - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 02:02 PM)K Wrote: Forefend -

Source:

Forefend is a real word, albeit a fairly archaic one. It just means to protect/to defend against.

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - K'nahli - 09-18-2013

(09-18-2013, 05:54 PM)Vinter Wrote:
(09-18-2013, 02:02 PM)K Wrote: Forefend -

Source:

Forefend is a real word, albeit a fairly archaic one. It just means to protect/to defend against.

I had a feeling it was but using a dictionary didn't yield any results, albeit I should have checked harder than that. Sorry.

RE: Eorzean Words and English Counterparts - Asyria - 09-18-2013

Tonzes = Tons