Hydaelyn Role-Players
Naming - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Naming (/showthread.php?tid=5479)

Pages: 1 2 3

Naming - ansemaru - 11-13-2013

I recall that when I started out looking into FFXIV, one of the first things I found myself pointed to were resources on building a character and understanding the lore and setting. And among these resources were the guides to character naming. It was fairly exciting for me- I've always had difficulties naming characters, so having guidelines for each race and sub-group was a great boon. It gave me a fairly easy time of naming my Elezen, and helped with names for any alts I had in mind.

But when I started the game, I was kind of surprised. Not that players in general picked names that didn't fit in with the lore/established naming patterns for their character's race, since Gilgamesh is obviously populated by a lot more than just RPers, and I can see why non-RPers wouldn't particularly care about setting-appropriate naming. I was surprised at the number of RPers who had character names that weren't in-line with the lore. Miqo'te with no apostrophes, Hyurs with ridiculously over-the-top names or ones ripped from existing fictional characters, Roegadyn with the wrong tribe's naming scheme, Elezen with names that didn't sound even remotely French, and Lalafells that didn't follow either of the naming patterns. And it seems like it's a non-issue in RP. After all, if you're a good RPer, it doesn't really matter if your character name doesn't sound like something Square would give to an NPC of the same race! What matters is your RPing. And hell, a lot of people I know and RP with are people who didn't make characters with names that follow the "rules".

But I guess I still kind of find it jarring with strangers. I've gotten a lot more used to it, to be fair, but it does still give me a bit of a kneejerk reaction to see an ostensibly original RP character with a name pulled out of A Song of Ice and Fire or a character with a name that clashes noticeably with the naming guidelines for their race in-universe.

How do you feel about names for RP characters? Should players strive to make names fit into the guidelines/lore-compliant style, or should they feel free to give their character the name they think is the most appropriate, lore be damned?

RE: Naming - Magellan - 11-13-2013

My seeker is named Claire.

Why? Because she was abandoned as an infant, adopted, and midlander raised. There are pretty easy ways to get around naming conventions if one wants.

Conventions serve as a baseline, but there are a lot of unique people in Eorzea, and a lot of unique personal backgrounds that exceed the limits of naming conventions.

I'm actually surprised by the number of people who do follow naming conventions on Balmung, some who don't even seem to be rpers.

I do have another Seeker named A'kaitis, btw, but I think its perfectly acceptable to come up with reasons why yourchar's name might be different.

RE: Naming - Jomoru - 11-13-2013

There are plenty of Miqote names of npcs in game that do not have apostraphes the only mandate on them is for Seekers of the Sun and Male keepers. Female Keepers can have whatever they want.

RE: Naming - Qhora Bajihri - 11-13-2013

Most roleplayers I know with a counter-conventional name have a constructed IC reason for doing so. If they don't, then I might raise an eyebrow. If they do, doesn't bother me in the least.

RE: Naming - J'ruzho - 11-13-2013

(11-13-2013, 02:35 PM)Darien Cadell Wrote: Most roleplayers I know with a counter-conventional name have a constructed IC reason for doing so. If they don't, then I might raise an eyebrow. If they do, doesn't bother me in the least.
I was going to say exactly this.

Naming conventions are for typical characters of that race, born and raised in a typical atmosphere. If I see somebody with an unconventional name, I usually assume OOCly that there is some story behind it if they're rpers.

RE: Naming - Swashbuckler - 11-13-2013

I had the same reactions as you, pretty much. While it's a non-issue with non-RPers, my knee-jerk reaction is that people who didn't follow naming conventions just didn't really care about the lore. And in turn, I think, "Why do these people even RP in the first place?"

But then I remembered that everyone has a story. And part of RPing is that you listen to other peoples' stories. Like the user above, her Miqo'te is named Claire. And they explained why she has such and such a name. And of course, that's perfectly acceptable. Another Miqo'te with such a naming convention would be Jace Hunter. And they have a story behind it.

As long as they have an IC reason for doing so, then it's all good.

RE: Naming - LeCard - 11-13-2013

In regards to Roe naming (since I am working on making a roe alt right now and have been knee deep in their stuff for the past couple days >.> )

" You will find the "old language" used in a lot of Sea Wolf names, as the Sea Wolves tend to adhere to the ancient traditions and customs the northern islands from which they hail. The Hellsguard, on the other hand, are more prone to adapt to their surroundings, and often choose to 'translate' their names from the old language to modern Eorzean. That said, the lines between the two clans aren't set in stone, and you will find some Hellsguard have chosen to use the old language in their names, and some Sea Wolves have given themselves "translated" names. "

You will note that SE gave the go ahead for any Roe to have either naming scheme(but is based on if they are choosing to make things simple for the rest of Eaorzea to pronounce and understand, or if they want to keep their name.

RE: Naming - VonSchlichten - 11-13-2013

((As long the name doesn't jump out as inherently un-RP then I don't question it.

It's when I start seeing names that shatter the 4th wall like "Lebrown Jaymes" is when I /facepalm))

RE: Naming - Maril - 11-13-2013

I absolutely flunked my characters last name, and I am currently not mentioning it icly because I'm hoping for a name-change feature to come along. It bugs me now that I know it doesn't fit, and whilst I don't judge others on their names, I just can't live with the annoyance when it's my own char. That said, I would guess there are probably others like me who maybe didn't think all that much of naming policies when they made their first char to play the game for the very first time. As much as I care for lore and settings, i'll probably never learn to do my research first and then start the game.

RE: Naming - shotgunbadger - 11-13-2013

(11-13-2013, 03:40 PM)VonSchlichten Wrote: ((As long the name doesn't jump out as inherently un-RP then I don't question it.

It's when I start seeing names that shatter the 4th wall like "Lebrown Jaymes" is when I /facepalm))

I invited that guy to my PUG and he did really great but then half through the dungeon the jerk joined some other group who wasn't even doing a dungeon at his level.

RE: Naming - Klynzahr - 11-13-2013

As LeCard pointed out, the two Roegadyn naming styles, actually have less to do with the individual's clan then with the individual's exposure to city states. Although Hellsgaurd are more likely to 'translate' their names, one should keep in mind that their birth names would have followed conventions similar to the Sea Wolf's names.

My Sea Wolf actually does have an unconventional name, although in a different way. I chose to turn a blind eye to the 'soft rule' that female names would nearly always end in wyda, wyb, thota, lona, rael, giem, bhyda, or swys. So my Sea Wolf Klinzahr Iyrnahctwyn is essentially a woman with a very masculine name. There is an IC reason for this, and Klinzahr herself is quite self-conscious about her name. I would enjoy seeing it brought up more often in RP. Unfortunately, many RPers seem reluctant to mention it.

Show Content

Another character who I know of, is a Hellsgaurd with the in game name Khanafyr Coldsteel. He was actually born Khanafyr Keltsthalsyn (Laughing Fire son of Cold Steel). His decision to use his father's name in Ul'dah, sharing his actual first name only with those that he trusts, reflects his IC suspicion towards city folk.

The fact is there are many possible reasons for unusual or unconventional names, which range from turning their back to the family group or tribe, to being raised by another race, to a younger sibling mispronouncing their given name. I generally enjoy these little tidbits as an extra RP hook.

I do find myself biased against RPers who try to take names from other lore/novels though. While I have seen some characters who take an obscure name from liturature and manage to make it their own, I'm always afraid that they are attempting to cross over the lore from a different universe, rip off the other character's design, or both. As I see it, a subtle reference is fine, but a completely unaltered name that everyone recognizes and probably violates the naming conventions to boot is going to bring trouble.

I once saw a Plainsfolk named Rikitiki Tavitiki, a reference to the little known junglebook character Riki-tiki-tavi, and I couldn't help but smile. Not only did the name fit conventions perfectly, but the reference was one that few people would notice.

On the other hand, I find names like Arthur Pendragon, Rainbow Dash, or Legolas Greenleaf almost impossible to take seriously, and I would certainly be reluctant to initiate RP with those characters.

RE: Naming - Kismet - 11-13-2013

I have mixed feelings on this front.

On one hand, I know not every single individual is going to fit the conventions for their race. To assume so would be silly. Yet, on another hand, there are some names I see that just... I don't know. They really grind my gears. I'm talking about blatant references to various media (older FF games, other SE games, Game of Thrones, etc.), horribly constructed Japanese names (that I typically see on Miqo'te)... I swear, if it weren't for the Edit Search Info feature, there are a decent handful of people I never would have known were RPers.

My mini-rant aside, if you have an IC justification for it... do what you want.

RE: Naming - ansemaru - 11-13-2013

The Riki-Tiki-Tavi reference made me smile. I hope they spend lots of time fighting piestes.

RE: Naming - Vito - 11-13-2013

I read up on the naming conventions and lore. I remade my character at least seven times, trying to figure out how it could work.

Eventually, I just decided to do what I felt would be right for my character and what I was going for. People choose all sorts of names for their children, despite their born ethnicity. Many people do not like their names and change it themselves.

RE: Naming - Jomoru - 11-13-2013

(11-13-2013, 05:26 PM)Klinzahr Wrote: On the other hand, I find names like Arthur Pendragon, Rainbow Dash, or Legolas Greenleaf almost impossible to take seriously, and I would certainly be reluctant to initiate RP with those characters.

Now I want to make a big manly Hellsguard named Rainbow Dash...