Hydaelyn Role-Players
SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? (/showthread.php?tid=5780)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Seriphyn - 12-12-2013

Referencing here

So it seems the Garleans aren't completely gone, and I was wondering how that was going to work, considering we wasted the castrums in Operation Archon and yet there they were still standing in-game.

I think it's a unique question for roleplayers. The city-state leaders arbitrarily declared the Seventh Astral Era (meaning the Seventh Umbral Era lasted...five years? Really?)...so which is it for us? When new roleplayers join, they'll be going through the story all over again, not that we really RP the story for obvious reasons, just the backstory it provides. But from an OOC perspective, we'd be 'spoiling' it for them if we RPed the ending as the new present time.

When 2.1 is released, are we to assume Operation Archon took place? Did our characters take place in it (especially wondering for my character, who is a full-time 1st Brigade Immortal Flame)? Admittedly this is the first time I've RPed so long in these sorts of MMOs, I migrated from EVE where there is no main individual story but one massive ongoing story.

Curious to hear what people think Smile

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Whittledown - 12-12-2013

For Obsidian Hornet, she has had absolutely nothing to do with anything that has been apart of the plot.

She's never fought a Primal.  She has no particular beef with the Garleans.

I prefer to think of the in game Story as completely apart from Hornet's RP.

It's like how you can play Skyrim for 1000 hours and never pick up the primary questline.  It's there sure, but it doesn't have anything to do with me.

From what I've seen most RPers have been ignoring the plot presented as a part of the game.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Seriphyn - 12-12-2013

Oh, sure, our characters might not have ever taken part in the story ourselves. But in the background, will Operation Archon be considered to have taken place come 2.1's release?

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Naunet - 12-12-2013

Yup, as per MMO story-vs-RP standards from past games, once a patch hits that progresses the story, all previous plot kicks in as having happened. So until the 17th, we continue to RP as though Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium have not been hit by the Scions. After the 17th... Well, I guess we have to stop referring to it as an Umbral age.

It's extremely silly, but that's how these things are handled.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Whittledown - 12-12-2013

Oh!  I'm sorry, I completely missed the boat on what you were saying there.

Yeah, I would think if they establish through NPC's that the era is changed or do any modifications to the in game zones showing that Garlean outposts have been wasted I would think we would take that into account.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Tla - 12-12-2013

This is interesting, I had never considered RP present time and patches. Admittedly I never knew where the story was supposed to be at, for rp porpuse, in the other games I played. Good to know beforehand.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - LiadansWhisper - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 01:42 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Referencing here

So it seems the Garleans aren't completely gone, and I was wondering how that was going to work, considering we wasted the castrums in Operation Archon and yet there they were still standing in-game.

I think it's a unique question for roleplayers. The city-state leaders arbitrarily declared the Seventh Astral Era (meaning the Seventh Umbral Era lasted...five years? Really?)...so which is it for us? When new roleplayers join, they'll be going through the story all over again, not that we really RP the story for obvious reasons, just the backstory it provides. But from an OOC perspective, we'd be 'spoiling' it for them if we RPed the ending as the new present time.

When 2.1 is released, are we to assume Operation Archon took place? Did our characters take place in it (especially wondering for my character, who is a full-time 1st Brigade Immortal Flame)? Admittedly this is the first time I've RPed so long in these sorts of MMOs, I migrated from EVE where there is no main individual story but one massive ongoing story.

Curious to hear what people think Smile

I'd already been assuming Operation Archon took place.  I already played through the story, and exactly where were we supposed to stop along the way, eh?  I mean, there's one period of time where it seems like several weeks or even months is supposed to have gone by in-game before we move on to the next part.  Should we have stopped there?  Or during the point where Titan is threatening Limsa?  Or before Ifrit was resummoned?  When exactly do we stop?

So I waited to start RPing, really, until I finished out the storyline so I'd be able to see everything that happened, and have been playing with that knowledge.  Besides, it's not as if you have to scream from the rooftops, "HEY GUYS WE BLEW UP THIS HERE CASTRUM" in order to play with the knowledge.  It doesn't have to be an "in-your-face" thing.

On an OOC note, I don't think they're going to make in-world changes, because that would bork the hell out of the final quests in the main storyline.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Seriphyn - 12-12-2013

I think that's easily answered by Naunet's reply.

EDIT: urgh, quoting is annoying. I meant "Where's the threshold?" question by Liadan. Each major content patch that advances the story, I'd say. Heck, Operation Archon would probably be taking place in the server downtime.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - LiadansWhisper - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 02:45 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: I think that's easily answered by Naunet's reply.

EDIT: urgh, quoting is annoying. I meant "Where's the threshold?" question by Liadan. Each major content patch that advances the story, I'd say. Heck, Operation Archon would probably be taking place in the server downtime.

I've never played that way, tbh.  Current patch content has always been "what's going on right now."

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Naunet - 12-12-2013

(12-12-2013, 02:45 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Heck, Operation Archon would probably be taking place in the server downtime.

That's how I'd play it!

(12-12-2013, 03:03 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: I've never played that way, tbh.  Current patch content has always been "what's going on right now."

Illidan wasn't defeated until the following patch. The Lich King was not defeated and replaced by Bolvar until the Ruby Sanctum opened up. The undead Nefarian was not defeated until the patch that brought us the Firelands. Shandra Manaya, the Argon Queen, was not killed until the patch that ushered in a breaking of the Federation. Likewise, the assault on Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium does not happen until the Dec 17th patch. That's how I've always seen story handled by roleplayers in the past.

(12-12-2013, 03:04 PM)Naunet Wrote: Illidan wasn't defeated until the following patch.

But he was under siege during the patch itself.

Quote:The Lich King was not defeated and replaced by Bolvar until the Ruby Sanctum opened up.

But he was under siege the entire time before that, and actually, on the servers I was on, he was treated as "deafeated" the moment a guild actually took him out (which was extended by the different wings opening, but you could also argue that each wing opening progressively also advanced the story).

Quote:The undead Nefarian was not defeated until the patch that brought us the Firelands.

But he was under siege the entire time before that (and what about Cho'gall, or Sinestra, or Al'akir?  All of that was going on, too!).

And right now, during the Siege of Orgrimmar? Garrosh has been treated as "dead" and the Siege in "aftermath" since September 27 on Moon Guard (which is when the first guild killed him). No one is going to wait until the patch before the next expansion to deal with this.

Quote:Shandra Manaya, the Argon Queen, was not killed until the patch that ushered in a breaking of the Federation.

No idea who this is.  Don't care.

Quote:Likewise, the assault on Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium does not happen until the Dec 17th patch.

This contains big spoilers for the storyline, so I am spoilering it.

Show Content

Quote:That's how I've always seen story handled by roleplayers in the past.

We have had different experiences, obviously.

RE: SPOILERS - Will the 2.0 finale become the RP "present time"? - Twinflame - 12-12-2013

The only place where this is really awkward is at the beginning of the game, before the first patch hits. It's best, until we start getting numerous patches, that we RP where 'most' RPers are, which I believe has been pre-50. Since none of our characters are the ones who fought the primals or really took part in any of the main story-line, this pretty much divides the times up into pre-Archon and post-Archon. We've been RPing in pre-Archon. (obviously if you've been RPing post-Archon, you're the exception, which is okay cause you RP how you want, but you likely will ahve come off as supernaturally prophetic to most folk on the server)

With 2.1 hitting, we're going into post-Archon timeframe.

I don't know what kind of in-world changes we can expect with patch 2.1. In WoW, content patches always changed the RP landscape in obvious ways. When they introduced the Coliseum in Northrend, for instance, people wanted to take part in the coliseum combat, so of course we RP'd that as current. When the Lich King was introduced, that patch was RP'd as current, and the Lich King wasn't defeated until the next patch was introduced (and yes, we did spend the entire patch laying siege to the Citadel), because the next patch moved on to other things and had NPCs acknowledging him as dead. That was our queue.

In the current world in ARR, none of the NPCs are acknowledging that operation Archon has happened (at least, outside of the Waking Sands, which is phased specifically to you and doesn't count). In this coming patch, not only will we be running around a post-Archon world, but we'll be reacting to new events that did not exist pre-Archon. These new events will be current, and they will remain current until the next content patch lands. As long as Squee continues to advance content at the pace it looks like they're going to, it should be easy to keep everyone on the same page.

This was an issue in TERA because we sat on the Argon War patch for an entire year, and eventually people wanted to RP the Argon Queen as having died even though the game's story hadn't progressed. The reverse is true for Rift, where patches hit so fast and hard they often out-strip RP (or so I imagine. I never RP'd being involved with the main plot there, but a content patch every single month!). I doubt we'll have either problem with ARR.

EDIT: As far as where to draw the line, I've personally been drawing it just prior to operation Archon. This was easy because nobody would have much idea of the struggles between the Scions and the Primals. Those were all private. I guess it would be fair for people to be RPing preparations for Archon and battles against the Garleans. I don't think anyone would be surprised to find an RP playing that out.

(12-12-2013, 03:17 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: But he was under siege etc

I didn't say under siege. I said defeated. Key difference. This was my experience in Rift as well (with the slaying of the various dragons), and TERA (the example you apparently don't care about - al...right?).

Quote:Cho'gall, or Sinestra, or Al'akir?

I didn't think I needed to list every single raid boss that ever cropped up in WoW to make my point.

[edit] Ah, Twin. Thanks. ^^

(12-12-2013, 03:22 PM)Twinflame Wrote: The only place where this is really awkward is at the beginning of the game, before the first patch hits. It's best, until we start getting numerous patches, that we RP where 'most' RPers are, which I believe has been pre-50. Since none of our characters are the ones who fought the primals or really took part in any of the main story-line, this pretty much divides the times up into pre-Archon and post-Archon. We've been RPing in pre-Archon.

You and your friends.  I don't think you can speak for "most" RPers unless you've spoken to all of them.

Quote:(obviously if you've been RPing post-Archon, you're the exception, which is okay cause you RP how you want, but you likely will ahve come off as supernaturally prophetic to most folk on the server)

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case.  As I said in a previous post, you don't have to be standing on the top of the Adventurer's Guild shouting, "WE BLEW UP PRAETORIUM!"  It can be as simple as playing as though the Garleans are on the retreat, but still a danger (since we also know that they're slated to return in greater/stronger numbers).  It may not even come up in RP - since most people aren't RPing Warriors of Light who are directly involved in this stuff.  It's just "atmosphere" and "setting," not the main story (or subject) for the vast majority of RP that I've seen.

Quote:With 2.1 hitting, we're going into post-Archon timeframe.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with ignoring everything that happens in the next patch until the patch after that.  I like being involved, not waiting and waiting.  :-P

Quote:I don't know what kind of in-world changes we can expect with patch 2.1.

They don't seem to be big on phasing of areas.  They phase in NPCs for sure, and they obviously phased the Waking Sands (which would appear to be an instance of sorts), but you don't see a lot of that in the open world (though they obviously have the technology, as demonstrated by the opening quests in the game).  Barring phasing, I don't see how they could make in-world changes to the Castrums without borking their main questline.

Quote:In WoW, content patches always changed the RP landscape in obvious ways. When they introduced the Coliseum in Northrend, for instance, people wanted to take part in the coliseum combat, so of course we RP'd that as current. When the Lich King was introduced, that patch was RP'd as current, and the Lich King wasn't defeated until the next patch was introduced (and yes, we did spend the entire patch laying siege to the Citadel), because the next patch moved on to other things and had NPCs acknowledging him as dead. That was our queue.

But not everyone did that.  Just on one server alone, right now, there are people RPing that the Siege of Orgrimmar is over, even though it's the same patch.  There are people RPing that it's still going on.  There are people that are not acknowledging it at all, because it's the "current patch."  And there are even people who are RPing the trial of Garrosh, although that hasn't happened yet (and is now slated not to happen in game and instead take place in a book you'll have to buy separately).

Even during WotLK, there were people who RP'd that the Lich King was taken out the moment a guild took him out, even though Ruby Sanctum wasn't out.

Quote:In the current world in ARR, none of the NPCs are acknowledging that operation Archon has happened (at least, outside of the Waking Sands, which is phased specifically to you and doesn't count). In this coming patch, not only will we be running around a post-Archon world, but we'll be reacting to new events that did not exist pre-Archon. These new events will be current, and they will remain current until the next content patch lands. As long as Squee continues to advance content at the pace it looks like they're going to, it should be easy to keep everyone on the same page.

But why would you expect NPCs to acknowledge something outside of the quests themselves? o_O  None of the NPCs have acknowledged anything you do.  I mean, in comparison to WoW, they seriously don't pay attention.  But these NPCs have never acknowledged anything you've done beyond a very few (the Adventurer's Guild leader, the faction leader (when you were actually on the quests for her - you can't even get to her once you're done), and the Scions).  I don't know that that means, however, that you must RP in a certain fashion because the NPCs don't acknowledge your deeds.  They may never acknowledge them.  It's highly likely that they're simply not programmed to do so.

Quote:This was an issue in TERA because we sat on the Argon War patch for an entire year, and eventually people wanted to RP the Argon Queen as having died even though the game's story hadn't progressed. The reverse is true for Rift, where patches hit so fast and hard they often out-strip RP (or so I imagine. I never RP'd being involved with the main plot there, but a content patch every single month!). I doubt we'll have either problem with ARR.

I never RP'd in Rift or TERA (I actually never played TERA at all).  I tried RP in Rift, but it was reallllly hard to find anyone RPing on the RP servers. :-\

Quote:EDIT: As far as where to draw the line, I've personally been drawing it just prior to operation Archon. This was easy because nobody would have much idea of the struggles between the Scions and the Primals. Those were all private. I guess it would be fair for people to be RPing preparations for Archon and battles against the Garleans. I don't think anyone would be surprised to find an RP playing that out.

I've just been playing as though it's all happened, or Archon is in the process of happening right now.  But since my character isn't directly involved in the storyline (personal decision), it's just setting to me.  But it's a setting I like having, because it provides a ground to build my character on.  And I know several other people who are RPing the same.

(There are also Garlean players who are affected by this, too.)

(12-12-2013, 03:26 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(12-12-2013, 03:17 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: But he was under siege etc

I didn't say under siege. I said defeated. Key difference. This was my experience in Rift as well (with the slaying of the various dragons), and TERA (the example you apparently don't care about - al...right?).

You named some random person I never heard of.  I don't know why you expected me to care.  :-\  It's not meant as an insult or anything, but I mean, how can I care about something I know nothing about?

My objection is to the idea that we can't be already involved in the current patch events.  If that's not what you were trying to say, then I apologize - I misread.  But that's how ti came across.

Quote:I didn't think I needed to list every single raid boss that ever cropped up in WoW to make my point.

I mentioned the others because Nefarian wasn't even the most important.  :-P  He wasn't even the focus.  He was, actually, the least of them.