Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te Lore, Please! (/showthread.php?tid=5891)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Miqo'te Lore, Please! - MizoreYukii - 12-22-2013

Hello everyone! So I've run into a little problem creating my character, and it's that I don't know the miqo'te lore very well! Before I can actually finish her background and everything (I have yet to make a wiki page for her) I need some pointers on the lore. From what I've picked up on so far I've taken what I can and applied it to her background, but it's not enough at the moment.

I'm afraid that if I just type in "Miqo'te lore" in Google I might have stuff popup that isn't all that truthful or not relevant. But if anyone has some useful websites, tips, or even time to write up something is greatly appreciated.

I'm especially interested to hear how a crossbreed of the Seekers and the Keepers would be interacted with by other miqo'te, as mine is (if that's even possible?).

Edit: That's her in the picture by the way. Which group does she seem to belong to more (I clearly made her with the Keeper selections, but I wish we could mix the breeds)? I plan on having her raised with the Keepers due to her dad, with her mother being a Seeker.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Jomoru - 12-23-2013

Well the only crossbreeds we have in game seem to have tribal letters so it would seem at least Seekers have little problem. Of course those are city bound Seekers who are likely much more liberal than their country cousins

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - BroodingFicus - 12-23-2013

There is a lot of diversity out there as far as the Miqo'te go. Aside from just the Keepers and Seekers themselves, I've seen a lot of rp that shows different groups/families/tribes holding different sets of traditions that are mostly just interwoven with the basic idea of the race. We don't really know a whole lot about the individual nuances (at least that I've found anywhere official as of yet) though the two societies do seem to have some key differences. This is purely based on what I've seen/read/inferred so if anyone has something to add/correct do so please. XD 

Keepers: Seem to be more centralized around the females, in the sense that they hold the power and operate on a matriarchal society. So the oldest/wisest female/females call the shots rather than the strongest male. Just based on what official words is out there and the fact that you don't see very many keeper npcs, they seem much more illusive and tend to operate in smaller, traveling groups or families. They don't mingle much with the other races and there are no Keeper settlements like the one in the desert for Seekers. They also seem to share the Duskwight quality of being looked up on in a negative light due to their nocturnal nature. I.E, assumed to be poachers etc. 

Seekers: Obviously they operate more around the Nunh, who can be challenged by other males for breeding rights. They seem more like lions in truth, less solitary and with the females hunting and providing for the 'family'. The Nunh, once he has his position, is naturally the pride leader and thereby the only one who bears offspring with the females. As many as possible from my understanding. The ability to challenge him allows for stronger bloodlines to continue since it is likely not all young survive the harsh Miqo'te lifestyle. Tia's (any male who isn't the Nunh) can branch off to try to form their own pride/tribe but they need females and it doesn't seem like it would happen often. 

As for the half breed, my character Orum is in a similar state. The two sides do have some distinct traits that may make such noticeable. Seekers have more cat like slits vs the keepers larger pupils. Keepers have longer canines which actually shows up in most emotes etc. As with most prejudices, I imagine it probably isn't a race wide blanket. At least thus far I haven't seen any in game signs of difficulties between the two factions so I guess we'll have to wait and see. I've been running under the assumption it can vary by family/tribes. Orums keeper family ordered him abandoned but maybe another would simply raise him in the tradition of their own people. I suppose that it could be seen as a genetic disadvantage. For example, Keeper pupils are wider to help with the fact that they are largely nocturnal so maybe a mix may end up with less impressive night vision, thereby not being as efficient a hunter. Depending on if the mother or father is which faction, naming can be tricky. With a Keeper mother, Orum's official Miqo'te name ends up being J'orum'sae Pahjin. Bit of a mouthful if he used it regularly. There are a lot of possibilities out there and quite a bit of freedom to maneuver. 

Well...I wrote more than I meant to but I hope something helps. I'm sure you've already looked at the stuff below but just in case. Good luck out there.

-The Ficus

Naming Conventions
Wiki

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Ildur - 12-23-2013

There was some dev post in the official lore forums that said that crossbreeds between the clans are possible (and there was some NPC with a Keeper look but Seeker name or the other way around). Because of that, we can assume that crossbreeds are possible and that they take on the looks of whichever clan...which means that it will be impossible to tell a crossbreed apart from their 'pure' counterparts unless she's named differently (like a Sun Seeker looking Miqo'te with a Keeper name, or vice versa). Unless your character goes out of her way to tell people that she is a crossbreed, nobody will notice. And if they do, well, I don't think anyone is going to do more than raise an eyebrow before continuing interactions normally.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - FreelanceWizard - 12-23-2013

Here's the dev post on cross-breeds, using the specific example of F'lhaminn. The short version is that mixing and matching of features between clans happens for a variety of reasons (genetic anomaly, crossbreeding, etc.). IMO, as Ildur said, unless your character makes a point of making it known, it's not something that's likely to come up. That said, some miqo'te are going to take greater issue with that than others IC, so just bear that in mind if your character does decide to make it common knowledge.

I've got a summarized list of dev lore posts on miqo'te on the Mysterium forums. The devs have focused their lore spotlight on the tribal Seekers of the Sun, mostly, but one also has to consider that a significant number of miqo'te are non-tribal, having grown up in and around the city-states. So, you've got a lot of wiggle room for your RP within a few boundaries set by the devs.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - MizoreYukii - 12-23-2013

Ohhh! This is a big help. Thanks everyone! I have been a little clueless with people throwing the word "Nunh" around, but then I realized it's just a word for pimp basically. Tongue I'm glad to finally know what exactly they did and which group they were from.

I kind of want her background to be noticeable, so I'll have to take a look at the naming conventions and go from there, but there's not much I can do right now as their isn't a way to change your name without deleting your character. Thankfully I still have the fantasia if I need it for altering her looks.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Jana - 12-23-2013

In addition to F'lhaminn, one of the reporters from the Lightning Returns storyline has a Seeker appearance, but a Keeper name.

Show Content

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Michikyou - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 01:16 AM)MizoreYukii Wrote: Ohhh! This is a big help. Thanks everyone! I have been a little clueless with people throwing the word "Nunh" around, but then I realized it's just a word for pimp basically. Tongue I'm glad to finally know what exactly they did and which group they were from.

I kind of want her background to be noticeable, so I'll have to take a look at the naming conventions and go from there, but there's not much I can do right now as their isn't a way to change your name without deleting your character. Thankfully I still have the fantasia if I need it for altering her looks.

One. A Nunh is not a pimp. Please. Roleplayers need to get this concept of Nunhs being womanizers out of their heads. That is not how the society is supposed to be. In a comical way - yes, I suppsoe so but in a socio-anthropolocial way? No.

Nunh's are just a term used for a man who essentially has 'multiple wives'. With the gender ratios - and how it is lorely portrayed in game - it is not uncommon for Nunh's to even exist. It has happened amoung human culture before where men are allowed more wives than not just to keep strong blood and a healthy population booming. For if a people go extinct there is no culture. If you visit the U' clan in the story and listen to some of the NPC dialogue, all bar one of the huntresses respect the Nunh. They think he is powerful and worthy of their duties. They have ceremonial names for 'mating', they dont need to love him to forfill their duty.

(12-23-2013, 02:43 AM)Naih Wrote:
(12-23-2013, 01:16 AM)MizoreYukii Wrote: Ohhh! This is a big help. Thanks everyone! I have been a little clueless with people throwing the word "Nunh" around, but then I realized it's just a word for pimp basically. Tongue I'm glad to finally know what exactly they did and which group they were from.

One. A Nunh is not a pimp. Please. Roleplayers need to get this concept of Nunhs being womanizers out of their heads. That is not how the society is supposed to be. In a comical way - yes, I suppsoe so but in a socio-anthropolocial way? No.

Nunh's are just a term used for a man who essentially has 'multiple wives'. With the gender ratios - and how it is lorely portrayed in game - it is not uncommon for Nunh's to even exist. It has happened amoung human culture before where men are allowed more wives than not just to keep strong blood and a healthy population  booming. For if a people go extinct there is no culture. If you visit the U' clan in the story and listen to some of the NPC dialogue, all bar one of the huntresses respect the Nunh. They think he is powerful and worthy of their duties. They have ceremonial names for 'mating', they dont need to love him to forfill their duty.

That's just one tribe. I can easily see Nunhs being given culturally sanctioned rape options "For the good of the Tribe".

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Maveree - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 02:43 AM)Naih Wrote:
(12-23-2013, 01:16 AM)MizoreYukii Wrote: Ohhh! This is a big help. Thanks everyone! I have been a little clueless with people throwing the word "Nunh" around, but then I realized it's just a word for pimp basically. :P I'm glad to finally know what exactly they did and which group they were from.

Nunh's are just a term used for a man who essentially has 'multiple wives'. With the gender ratios - and how it is lorely portrayed in game - it is not uncommon for Nunh's to even exist. It has happened amoung human culture before where men are allowed more wives than not just to keep strong blood and a healthy population  booming. For if a people go extinct there is no culture. If you visit the U' clan in the story and listen to some of the NPC dialogue, all bar one of the huntresses respect the Nunh. They think he is powerful and worthy of their duties. They have ceremonial names for 'mating', they dont need to love him to forfill their duty.

From what I gathered in this lore resource regarding miqo'te names, the Nuhns earn their title from being one of the strongest of the males. So it makes sense for the huntresses to respect them in such a way! :)

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - Michikyou - 12-23-2013

I don't actually think it is rape if all the participants are willing. The Nunhs do ot FORCE them to breed, they do so because they want to.

(12-23-2013, 03:52 AM)Naih Wrote: I don't actually think it is rape if all the participants are willing. The Nunhs do ot FORCE them to breed, they do so because they want to.

No, in the U Tribe that is true. The U Tribe has a very worldy Nunh. There are many other ways it could spiral out. 

I am not saying every tribe could or shoudl have these issues but with 26 groups the size of say the cherokee nation saying that none anywhere become corrupt and abusive seems to streach credability.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - FreelanceWizard - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 03:52 AM)Naihir Wrote: I don't actually think it is rape if all the participants are willing. The Nunhs do ot FORCE them to breed, they do so because they want to.

There's been a lot of discussion on this topic, honestly. The devs have only stated that the nunh of a territory rarely holds a leadership position, and that the nunh is the only one who's socially permitted to sire children. Beyond that, there's only that one branch of the U tribe in game to work from, and even they seem to deviate from the lore post. IMO, then, there's a lot of room for RPers to write a wide variety of lore-compatible tribal backstories.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - N'taeyl - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 02:43 AM)Naihir Wrote: One. A Nunh is not a pimp. Please. Roleplayers need to get this concept of Nunhs being womanizers out of their heads. That is not how the society is supposed to be. In a comical way - yes, I suppsoe so but in a socio-anthropolocial way? No.

Thank you.  I am so tired of seeing people hate nunh for being a man whore.  I had only a fleeting moment of dislike when I first heard about them, but it really is JUST a social structure.  And, they rarely lead.  He's just a buff guy that makes babies, healthy good babies.

Having said that though, sure there's room for a tribe to go off the wall and establish some extreme order.  Ultimately those won't last (I would think) but it's there if you want your tribe to be crazy.  But to stereotype every nunh as some male womanizer is ridiculous.

RE: Miqo'te Lore, Please! - MizoreYukii - 12-23-2013

Whoops. Double post.