Hydaelyn Role-Players
balumang becomming more toxic? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: balumang becomming more toxic? (/showthread.php?tid=5918)

Pages: 1 2

balumang becomming more toxic? - lia yia - 12-25-2013

Does seems balumang has gotten more toxic lately I mean stuff like rp griefing, witch hunts/false accusations, and fc drama?

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - LiadansWhisper - 12-25-2013

Um....what?  Huh

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Nebbs - 12-25-2013

Not seen more than previously?

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - LandStander - 12-25-2013

(12-25-2013, 08:11 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Um....what?  Huh
Lol!!

But to answer your question, no. I have not seen this.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Kieron Lohengrin - 12-25-2013

there's at least one definitely toxic individual in one of the older FCs on balmung; ironically it was the person who begged me into trying xiv in the first place.

then another one around here a while back - from the same FC, even - claiming people didnt deserve help with getting relics. trying to derail a topic specifically about helping people get their relics, lol. those posts were deleted.

otherwise, by and large, no. most people mind their own business; even votekick abuse is reportable when it happens, so long as you write your report well.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - ansemaru - 12-25-2013

I haven't noticed anything of the sort, though there is one rather abrasive individual who has pushed himself into prominence in the server's RP community. Of course, he is also someone who requested his own removal from these forums when people raised objections to his rude and puritanical demeanor, so he's not exactly around here anymore. I just see him on his main and alt in-game constantly advertising for a FC/LS and being generally rude about certain types of ERP.

Though I guess there's also that intentionally antagonistic thread asking people to justify playing Midlander Hyur, created as a response to someone asking why so many people play Miqo'te? And the usual amount of generally well-meaning debate about ERP and Miqo'te lore, but that's hardly new, and it's mild as far as "drama" goes.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Aysun - 12-25-2013

(12-25-2013, 08:33 PM)Kieron Lohengrin Wrote: then another one around here a while back - from the same FC, even - claiming people didnt deserve help with getting relics. trying to derail a topic specifically about helping people get their relics, lol. those posts were deleted.

Hmmm. Interesting interpretation.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Knight Kat - 12-25-2013

I haven't noticed much of anything negative in the community. A few people may seem a bit upset about things I would personally consider minor, but that is their right, and I have no problems with them as long as they stay civil which most of them have.

No place is perfect, but when negativity is rare, you could say that this is a pretty great community.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Edgar - 12-25-2013

Quote:Does seems balumang has gotten more toxic lately I mean stuff like rp griefing, witch hunts/false accusations, and fc drama?

[youtube]wJPHu7tVlJQ[/youtube]

Honestly, between the poorly spelled Thread title, the notion that Balmung is hostile (it's not), and the OP's posting history including threads like "Gilgamesh is very hostile!" and "HM fight griefing on Balmung!", I find it hard to take this seriously.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Loki - 12-25-2013

I fail to understand how something can become "More" toxic when the game was recently re-released, isn't on it's 1st anniversary of re-release, and the fact that you joined the community in July 2013.

To be more on topic; I've failed to notice any toxicity save for the few aforementioned beings spoken of about on the forums as of late.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Faye - 12-25-2013

I've noticed less RP griefing, to be honest. As for drama, it's always happening somewhere. It recently affected my own FC, but I don't think that means it's anymore prevalent on the server than usual/it used to be.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Darkfae - 12-25-2013

A lot of Duty Finder griefing might not even be coming from our server, given the DF is cross server. My FC mates and I have run into several incidents of DF griefing, all of which have been reported, but only one of those incidents was from someone on the server (we tend to check afterwards).

As far as RP griefing goes, I was utterly amazed by the fact that the one time it occurred, Merri sent a tell to the person's FC leader, and the person stopped and ran off almost immediately. That sort of thing hasn't worked in so long (I dare say it hasn't really worked since EQ2 and City of Heroes early days, in my experience), I was just stunned. Granted, it might not be as effective if the person is an officer in an FC (I've heard there's an RP griefer who is), but most FC leaders take their FC's reputation pretty seriously.

Drama just happens, especially in RP communities. No offence to anyone, but drama is a natural part of being human, and RPers and theatre nerds (who aren't too different) tend to be a bit more dramatic. I personally feel there's less drama in this community as a whole than what I've seen elsewhere. Most people keep it behind closed doors, and if it does spill out, they do damage control fairly well - even if there's someone who blows something out of proportion.

Either that or I exist in a state of blissful unawareness, and just manage to somehow avoid those threads and situations! It's happened before. >.>

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Maril - 12-26-2013

There will always be a % of any given online community, related to gaming or not, that is toxic. Where there are roleplayers, there will be roleplay griefers - and despite the situations I have witnessed myself have been rather harsh and severe, they've not occurred nearly as much as my experience is with other and far older games. 

In reality, Balmung might just be one of the nicer servers around. Having an RP presence, even unofficially, just attracts more mature non-rp'ers to the servers because they have a general reputation of being nicer, less toxic servers. 

My opinion on these things, even if it is a bit blunt, has always been that if you can't stand talk about mature subjects (such as ERP), get offended over curse words and are unable to shrug off griefers entirely, then you probably should not be playing an MMORPG. Especially not one that has the T for Teen rating.

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Nebbs - 12-26-2013

(12-25-2013, 08:20 PM)Nebbs Wrote: Not seen more than previously?

Just to expand as people are adding more.

Is their griefing of RP - Yes, I have seen some but not more than I have seen in other games. Worst for me was about 30min of a group standing over us messing things up.

DF - mostly nice people but you have to accept you may be with people of a completely different gaming mindset. If you want to RP a dungeon form a group, maybe try the ne Party Finder for RP?

RE: balumang becomming more toxic? - Dogberry - 12-26-2013

Normally I wouldn't give a thread like this any thought, but I have noticed a rise in toxic behavior on Balmung lately. I've been playing around with Fraps lately, and I was able to get footage of something on our server that quite honestly shocked me to the core.

Watch at your own risk: