Hydaelyn Role-Players
A First Drink [ooc welcome] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A First Drink [ooc welcome] (/showthread.php?tid=5950)

A First Drink [ooc welcome] - Naunet - 12-28-2013

((Finally catching up to posting RP! Not long, at most a day, after Security Fees. As (almost) always, copy-pasted from in-game rp and reformatted to provide more narrative flow!))

Late evening left the shadows long on Pearl Lane, lending the already run-down neighborhood an even more sinister air. This went largely unnoticed by Antimony as she frowned up at the boarded door, then to the faded signage to the right, then the notice posted on the door. At this, she squinted and stepped forward to read it. “... Rent delinquency. Hm? But this was posted over a month…” She trailed off, muttering to herself and looked down at some papers in her hands.

Ulanan had been following Antimony around all evening, a silent companion for the older woman. She leaned against the wall, keeping a watchful eye. On what she kept a watchful eye? On the windows, the doors, and the people moving across the street. But especially on all those who are not moving. On those she didn’t keep a watchful eye. She kept two.

Antimony frowned, glanced to Ulanan, then back to the door. Her tail swished back and forth in thought. "That's the third business on the list already..." She paused, and then, “Ulanan, do you know if it's possible another individual could be running something out of this building perhaps on another day?”

Not that far away down the lane, behind doors marked with the seal of the Brass Blades, Lamandu Tyremandu busied himself in his office, filing away paperwork; humming as he did so. After a short time, he finished filing the things, so got up, stretching as he slid off of his too big chair. He exited the office, locking the door behind him.

Another ways down Pearl Lane, a miqo’te of pale hair and skin dressed in the Blades uniform might be overheared growling at a poor, innocent refugee who was just trying to work his way up from nothing. She was like, "I've heard the sob story before. Yesterday. Last week. If you've got merchandise you have something to pay your fines with. What's in the sacks?"

“Maybe?” Ulanan was saying, “I don't walk down this street that often.”

Antimony nodded, ears shifting about in conflict. "It's alright. It's just... hm. It should not be closed...”

Lamandu nodded to the evening clerks and exits the Pearl Lane station then. He glanced along the dirty street, his mouth quarked.

“Maybe someone 'payed' for it to be closed,” Ulanan suggested. “Or, rather, maybe they did not pay for it to be left open.”

Antimony tilted her head. "That... I suppose it's... Deliberate? I'm not sure why someone would do such a thing."

“What kind of business was held here?”

Antimony took a step back from the door and gestured to the old signage.

A few steps away, Lamandu Tyremandu lifted his eyebrows as he stopped to spot the newly familiar form of Antimony in front of one of the nearby buildings, he made his way over there.

Ulanan squinted at the sign, reading, while Antimony explained, “A small apothecary. Of a sort. I'm not sure how legitimate the practice was, but supposedly it did deal in medicines.”

Down the lane, the Blade harassing the merchant frowned at the man, "You don't listen well." She grabbed a bottle in one hand, "This is, what, ten percent of your stock? Undrinkable swill, right?" She grabbed another. "Twenty percent sounds like a fair fee."

Lamandu cleared his throat then, and said, "Antimony, I thought you were to retire for the evening?..."

Ulanan stopped squinting at the sign to squint at Lamandu as Antimony's ears bounced in surprise. She turned around. "What? Oh! Captain Tyremandu." She smiled down at the lalafell, who returned the gesture. “I'm simply looking into a few things. Work waits for no man. Or... ah, woman. I think that's the saying..?”

“You have worked plenty for the day, have you not?” the small man smiled. “You should be taking in the better Ul'dah sights now!”

Antimony chuckled and straightened the papers in her hands. "I've taken in enough, I think."

The harassing Brass Blade leaned in and pointed at the man with one of the bottles, whispering at him, "Want to keep your bottles next time? I take Somnus at triple its value, so find a dealer." Then she turned to walk away.

“Have you?” Lamandu hummed. “But you have not been here so terribly long. Only a couple of days by my count!”

Antimony tilted her head to one side and thought for a moment, "Four."

“The landmarks last as long as the landscape lasts.” Ulanan smiled at Lamandu.

He laughed, "And on a work trip, four days is not many to explore!"

Without warning, the Brass Blade walked right up to Antimony and thrust one of her confiscated bottles at her, "Gift. Take an evening off."

Lamandu tilted his head towards Ulanan, before seeing the familiar figure walk up, "Lou... what are you..."

Antimony blinked rapidly at the bottle as though unsure what to do with it. "Ah..." Awkwardly, she accepted it, nearly dropping the papers she held. "What...?"

“I'm being nice,” Loughree stated.

“That's a rude way of being nice,” Ulanan chastised. “But I guess the intention is what counts.”

Loughree walked over to Lamandu and thrust the other at him, "Good stuff."

Antimony blinked at the bottle, then at Loughree. "Thank you?" Then down at Ulanan. Her friend raised a hand to Antimony, directed at the bottle. “Hm?”

“I'll hold onto that for you.”

“Oh! Right. Of course. Thank... you.” Antimony shook her head, ears twitching, and handed the bottle over to Ulanan. The lalafell smiled and took the bottle before stepping to a side again.

Lamandu accepted his own offered bottle it, peering down at it, "And why do you have this while on duty? That is against protocol, do we need to have another talk?"

Loughree shifted her ears back, though the turban truncated the expression. She glanced at Antimony but responded to Lamandu, "Like the last talk we had?" At this, Antimony looked confused for a moment, and then worried.

“Not quite, but along the same lines, in a more official capacity.”

Loughree shook her head, "I get your point," and then moved to stand next to Lamandu, facing Antimony, looking soldiery. "How's your work, Antimony? Nothing missing?"

Ulanan kept quiet while Antimony looked between the two and then smiled, "I'm not currently at liberty to divulge. But the investigation is running along."

Lamandu frowned, tucking the bottle in his satchel. "Running along? You seem to be looking at local business, though keep in mind that much of the business along Pearl Lane tends to be of a transient nature."

“How so?” Ulanan questioned.

“Transient's a word for it,” Loughree chuffed. “There hasn't been a business behind that door in months.”

“Not of a permanent nature, no. It is not uncommon for merchants to travel through here. Come and go, so to say,” Lamandu explained.

Antimony looked to him and nodded. "I understand. I'm simply following up on... well." To Loughree she smiled, "That is the question, though."

Loughree looked down at Lamandu and crossed her arms, "This door specifically? Well, I guess I'd have to check the books." And, to Antimony, "What's the question?"

“It's nothing to worry about for now.” Antimony straightened the papers in her hands again and then carefully slipped them back into a satchel at her hip.

“Are you sure? If it was not of concern, you would not be whittling away the evening down here,” Ulanan carefully pointed out.

Antimony laughed a bit embarrassedly. "I'm afraid that's just my nature." At this, Lamandu smiled.

“She's very dedicated,” Ulanan nodded. “Even then, though...investigations are like a ball of linen. You follow and untangle the mess of threads only to find they lead nowhere.”

Loughree looked at Ulanan, "You're with her every step of the way. Except one. How is clearing up that paperwork coming?"

Lamandu chuckled, "Yes, we are familiar with such things."

“I guess you could compare it with wine bottles,” Ulanan added.

Antimony blinked at Loughree and her ears shifted. "Oh! Ulanan's only keeping me company in the evening. And providing a bit of much appreciated safety. I'm not discussing anything of a business nature with her."

“Oh.” Loughree thought. “Well, if you were worried about safety you could've let me know. That is my job.”

Antimony smiled a bit uncertainly. "I apologize. It never even crossed my mind."

“I am free and tested. You are unknown and probably expensive. I'm sure we are both just as effective, though.” Ulanan smiled at Loughree.

Lamandu shrugged, "If Antimony feels safe with her companion, I'm sure that she has reason to be."

Antimony nodded eagerly. "I don't want to speak poorly of your territory, but I've heard this street is not a place to be by one's self. So..."

Lamandu shook his head, "No need to apologize, it is merely the truth. Pearl Lane is not always the nicest of place to be. Which is why I am surprised you linger here so late."

Antimony shrugged a bit helplessly. "It's as I said.."

Ulanan motioned to herself. “As I said, I'm quite tested!”

“Yes, well.” Lamandu paused. “If you would be willing, I would love to buy the both of you a round down at the quicksand, that is where the both of you are staying, yes?"

“A... round?” Antimony blinked.

Loughree had nothing to say about this. She crossed her arms and relaxed her stance some.

“He means a drink,” Ulanan offered helpfully.

“... Oh! Yes. Of course.”

“I do,” Lamandu nodded. “You could do to relax a bit I think, Miss.”

Antimony looked to Lamandu and leaned her head, "Sir, you should know I don't accept bribes." Both Ulanan and Loughree burst out laughing at this comment, and the older miqo’te frowned. “… What?”

Lamandu chuckled and shook his head, "Nothing of the sort!"

Loughree shook her head as well, smiling, "Here on Pearl Lane we wouldn't know how to bribe if we took classes. The captain just likes an excuse to go to the tavern."

Lamandu stroked his beard, admitting, "An evening at one, every now and then is nice."

Antimony clasped her hands down in front of her and furrowed her brow uncertainly before looking between Ulanan and Lamandu, then back down to her friend. "Would you be up to such a thing, Ulanan?"

“I have no objections if you think you are done here for the night.”

“Ah, well, I've stopped by a number of businesses tonight. The others can wait for tomorrow, I think.”

“Then I guess we will accept your generous offer, captain.” At Ulanan’s words, Antimony laughed briefly and then nodded.

Lamandu brought his hands together in front of him, glancing up at Lou, "I suppose you’re included in my offer. Just the once! No letting it get to your head young lady." He waggled a finger at her.

“Oh, no. I wouldn't even once pretend that my father figure would show any affection for me at all.” Loughree pouted at Lamandu for a moment. Then her features reset to neutral like a switch had been thrown.

“...your captain is your father figure?” Ulanan sounded dubious.

Lamandu rolled his eyes slightly, before turning his attention back to the pair in front of them, "Shall we then?"

Antimony fidgeted her fingers with one another a bit awkwardly. “Ah! Yes. Let's.”

“I had a troubling childhood. Deeply traumatizing,” Loughree said deadpan. She then turned and walked past everyone towards the Quicksand.

“ ... What...?” Antimony’s ears tilted.

Lamandu shook his head slightly, "Lou is... a difficult person sometimes. Try not to let her get under your skin." He gestured down the lane, "Ladies first."

Antimony blinked in confusion for a moment before shaking her head and then moving down the lane. She spared a glance to the shutdown business once more before continuing on.

Once arrived, the Quicksand proved as bustling as ever, with very few seats not occupied by people in various degrees of inebriation. “A drink demands using the bar, as social protocol states,” Ulanan declared, in no small part due to the fact that the bar contained the only set of four neighboring seats available.

Lamandu glanced around the room for a place to set the group down, "Hmm... It may have to do for now." The lalafellin captain made for the short row of four seats at the bar without hesitation. Antimony looked around the Quicksand, brow furrowed searchingly, and then relaxed just a bit, before following to sit with the others.

Loughree took a seat deliberately away from Lamandu. This had the secondary effect of sitting them in order from tallest to smallest, and wasn’t that cute?

Ulanan frowned. Why Lamandu was next to Antimony instead of her was beyond her understanding. She shrugged and looked past him to her miqo’te friend.

“What are the rules, Captain?” Loughree spoke up.

“... Rules?” Antimony blinked.

Lamandu raised a brow towards Lou, "Beg your pardon?"

“I believe your subordinate thinks this will be a drinking competition,” Ulanan suggested slowly.

Lamandu gestured towards Momodi, "Well, I had just been going to order us a round of Black and Golds..."

Antimony looked a bit anxious, either at Lou's implication, or Lamandu's offer, or who knew what else.

“Antimony doesn't strike me as the Black-and-Golds-type, so go right ahead,” Loughree declared with satisfaction.

“The... what?” That did not help to clarify Antimony’s confusion or anxiety.

Lamandu shrugged, "Unless Miss has another preference? I find them quite good myself."

“That a bit too strong for a woman such as her,” Ulanan warned. “Why not some simple white wine?”

“I, ah... I can't really... say,” Antimony fidgeted.

Lamandu conceded rather easily, “That would of course be fine.” Ulanan nodded sagely.

“No, that would not be fine!” Loughree declared vehemently. “You can't get shots of white wine. That's disrespectful. One little shot never hurt anybody.”

“And who ever said anything about shots? Not I. Merely a glass of wine of a pint of beer,” Lamandu shook his head.

“Yes,” Ulanan hummed. “Your subordinate is indeed thinking this is a competition.”

Antimony winced. "I don't intend to be disrespectful, only..."

“Hmm? Only what?” Lamandu looked to her, curious.

“I'm not competing. There's a right way to do this.”

Antimony furrowed her brow at Loughree. "A tradition? I've never heard of any... well.”

“Tradition! Ritual!” Loughree exclaimed dramatically. “It's a cultural institution. Since it's my job to protect Ul'dah and its culture, I can't let anything but shots happen!”

“That's an awful way to protect the city's traditions: by getting everyone drunk,” Ulanan observed.

Lamandu shook his head, "Now, now. Just us not get carried away, Lou."

Antimony turned back to the counter and pursed her lips. "... Only one."

“One's fine! One's all it takes!” Loughree seemed happy at this.

“And only because it is part of your culture.”

The other miqo’te pointed at Antimony, "That's respect!"

Regardless of this minor debate, Lamandu ordered Antimony a glass of white wine and a black and gold for himself. "So it sounds like perhaps there are other preferences?"

“I will keep my white wine,” Ulanan said. “You three can drink whatever.”

“Captain! Not wine!” Loughree protested. “A shot! You're doin it wrong!”

Antimony glanced worriedly past Lamandu to Ulanan and then across the counter to the glass of wine set in front of her. The captain shook his head, "I said that we are not getting carried away Lou. A white wine will be good for her."

“White wine will not me good. I'm ordering a shot.”

Antimony frowned in thought. "Fermented grapes. I suppose on the surface it's not bad."

Loughree ordered straight hard something or other lore appropriate but brown and gross.

Lamandu frowned slightly at Lou, "You are on your own tab after that one." He then took his pint, glancing over at Ulanan, "Are you not getting anything?"

“Someone has to stay sober in case your friend gets mine drunk.”

Saying nothing in response, Loughree waited for her shot to arrive and put it in front of Antimony, taking her wine.

Antimony blinked at that and opened her mouth to protest, shut it, and then went anyway, "Your captain did say..."

Loughree daid firmly, "He is doing it wrong."

Ulanan got off her stool and walked over between Antimony and Loughree. The former wrinkled her nose. She could smell the alcohol even from all the way where it sat on the counter. At Ulanan’s movement, she startled, “Ulanan! Is something wrong?”

Loughree looked down at Ulanan, "Uh, hello? Did you... order anything?"

Lamandu frowned at the relocated Lalafel, sipping at his beer. Ulanan stood on the tip of her toes, her eyes scouring the top of the bar. The next moment, she picked up the glass of whatever strong beverage Lou had put in front of Anti and drank it.

Antimony's brows lifted behind her glasses. "Ulanan! That was Miss Loughree's!"

“No, it was Antimony's,” Loughree clarified. “We can order another. How is it?”

Ulanan put the glass in front of Antimony. "No, it was yours." She then looked at Loughree. "And remember the next one is on your tab." The lalafell smiled at Loughree. At this, Lamandu burst out laughing while Antimony could only wince.

Loughree frowned, looking like she was trying to decide if she should be offended or not. "I'm sorry? Did I do something?" She slid the wine back in front of Antimony.

“Now, now ladies. Keep it civil, please.” Lamandu motioned to Momodi to serve Antimony another glass of wine.”

“You are making up traditions to make fun of my friend once she gets drunk,” Ulanan declared.

Antimony gave the first glass of wine an odd look, transfered that look to Ulanan and, "... Are you alright? It didn't hurt you, did it? It smelled like a week old sandworm.”

Loughree blinked down at Ulanan, then frowned up at Antimony, then directed her gaze forward. She ordered five more shots.

Lamandu chuckled, "It was a little rough probably, but your protector seems quite fine."

Ulanan looked at Antimony. "I need to wake up early tomorrow, so the strong drink will help me fall asleep like a stone idol in the Invisible City."

“It's also a good way to be really insulting, if you're trying to save time,” Loughree added.

Lamandu frowned as he saw Momodi prepping the shots in addition to the other glass of wine he ordered for Antimony. "Lou... what did I tell you about keeping it low-key?"

Antimony pursed her lips at Lamandu, then at Ulanan in turn, and finally at the first glass of wine. She let out a sigh and then brought it to her lips to take a drink. Her eyes widened behind the glass and her tail shivered, puffing out a bit before laying flat once more.

Ulanan frowned at Loughree, hands on her hips. "That wasn't insulting. This, however, will be." And then she moved away from her, past everyone, saying: "Don't accept anything that blonde voidsent gives you. If you do you will awaken in the Ossuary's fountain inside a potato sack."

Lamandu turned his head to watch Ulanan walk by, "Don't worry too much. Lou isn't all bite..."

Antimony nearly dropped her glass in her haste to turn and follow Ulanan's movements behind her.

Loughree watched Ulanan walk away from her, with a frown. Then she stood, and took a few of the shots she got between her armored fingers. "Oh I'll bite the hell out of her. Easy to be a bitch and walk off isn't it? Come on. You can steal one from me, you can take more." Noticing trouble, Lamandu set his beer down, getting up and walking to the two.

“I did not 'steal' it from you. You handed it to my friend, remember?”

Loughree held the shots out to Ulanan, easily reaching over Lamandu. "And now I'm handing you this. Come on. Drink up, you little thief. All for you."

“Ah, Miss Loughree, please... there's no need to fight.”

Lamandu held up his hand. "Now. This is rather pointless, let it drop. Now," he said sternly, annoyance clear in his expression.

“I don't need to get drunk to prove I'm a better woman. But if you do, then be my guest. Good evening!” With that, Ulanan turned around with the clear objective of leaving. Antimony frowned and moved to stand as though to go after Ulanan.

Lamandu stepped deliberately in front of Lou. The miqo’t growled, and one of the glasses in her hand cracked as she squeezed it, "Cowardly little shit. Don't you...!" She glared down at Lamandu, "What? You fucking want em?"

“Ah, perhaps I should... I'll just leave…” Antimony muttered in a quiet voice.

Ulanan ignored that comment and asked for the key to her room.

“Is there a problem here?” An unfamiliar voice intruded suddenly.

Lamandu shook his head, "No. You bought them. They are yours. Stand down, or I might have to book you myself tonight."

Loughree growled again, the fur on her tail puffing out a bit as it twitches. "I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to do anything." She turned her glare on the Duskwight next to her, briefly, then just slammed the shot glasses on the bar and stormed off, "You fuckers leave me alone."

Lamandu looked over at the woman in white, "No, I've got it under control. Lou here just needs to take a break."

“Mmmm...” The Duskwight, dressed in well-made armor, looked thoughtful.

Antimony worried her hands into the skirt of her dress while Ulanan disappeared into the depths of the Quicksand! Also known as "the rooms".

Lamandu shook his head, sighing. "I apologize for the disturbance, miss. Lou..." he tightened his lips and shook his head further as the woman walked away. 

Loughree paused then, and looks at the woman to her right in a bit of disbelief. "Don't talk down to me. Actually, why don't you go crawl back into your crags? Ul'dah doesn't need any more Duskies."

The woman burst out laughing at Loughree. “I would do so, had mine tunnels not collapsed with meteorfall.”

Lamandu looked to Antimony who had risen from her seat, "I'm sorry about that. Lou is... Lou. As you have rather gathered, I am sure. I really did mean for it to be unwinding for you to join for a drink."

Loughree mocked sympathy, "Oh, no. Any of your family and friends get squished?" The Duskwight nodded to Loughree.

Antimony watched where Ulanan had disappeared off into the back rooms. "... Ah. I... understand." She shook herself, ears shifting back anxiously. "Perhaps this was not the best idea."

Loughree smiled, "Good! I hope it hurt." Her ears went flat on her head, "Leave me alone."

Lamandu shrugged, "Again, I apologize. I'm sure it has not left the best of impressions.”

“It seems you are intoxicated,” the Duskwight observed. “Or just a very disagreeable person, I think. In either case, I would think it better if you do not insult the dead, mmm?”

Antimony winced and then forced a smile down at Lamandu. "It's alright. You hospitality isn't unappreciated, but... I think I should go."

“What is your problem, lady?” Loughree prodded.

“I believe it is that you have insulted me when I merely wished to calm you down, my dear miqo'te. I ask you the same, yes? What is it that ails you, mmm?”

Lamandu smiled sadly, "Of course. Another time then. And perhaps without Lou..." He shook his head, "I really do not always know what to do with the girl."

Antimony frowned at something Lamandu said, then shook herself once more, tail shivering behind her, and bowed slightly to the lalafell. "Have a good evening. I'm sure I'll see you again at the office tomorrow."

“Right,” Loughree was saying. “Now my ail's a piece of crap Dusky talking like she can calm me down.”

Lamandu nodded his head, "Of course. Rest well."

“Would you prefer violence?” The woman, who had not introduced herself but was known to some as Tirisse Sunsinger, questioned. “I am not unaccustomed to forcing rowdy patrons in to unconsciousness because they could not keep their negative attitude to themselves, yes?”

Lamandu let out another sigh before walking over to where Lou was now arguing. Reluctantly, Antimony made her way towards the stairs to the inn rooms.

Loughree pointed at the Duskwight’s chest, "I'm a Brass Blade, Dusky. You pick a fight with me your ass is going to be in a cell."

Lamandu shook his head at the two of them, "Lou... perhaps it is about time for you to retire for the night?..."

“I am an Immortal Flame, miqo'te, and one of high rank at that, yes? I would be quite immune to your process, and the investigation would reveal exactly what has happened, no?”

Lamandu shook his head, "There really is no need for that Miss. Lou just needs to walk off some steam." He directed his attention back to Lou, "Lou! Do not go waggling idle threats."

Loughree squinted at Tirisse, "Duskies in power. Whose bright idea was that? Big surprise you're abusing it." She suddenly snapped at Lamandu, "Would you leave me the fuck alone!"

“She is a most unagreeable sort, I am finding,” Tirisse observed.

Lamandu shook his head, "You know I can't do that as much as I might want to. I do not have time to be dealing with the fallout of your night-time transgressions." He smiled tightly up at the Elezen, "Try working with her."

“If you wish, I can beat her unconcious for you.”

Loughree muttered, "There wouldn’t be any if people would just leave me be." She threw her hands up in the air, "Just leave me alone!" and she walked around Lamandu to try and leave again.

Lamandu shook his head, "As much as that... No. I would be hearing about it from... nevermind." He watched Lou stride past him. "It is better to just let her pass for now. She is in an especially foul mood right now."

“She merely needs to be humbled, but, as I would be the aggressor in this case, I will take no action.”

Lamandu nodded he his head, "Yes, you cannot let her rile you up. She is rather good at that. It would not have ended well either way.”

“Well for me, but not for her perhaps,” the Duskwight replied a bit haughtily. “It is not often I allow those to insult mine home without any backlash, yes? Please, infom her, that the next time she does that, I will most likely have to rearrange her face a little bit, yes?”

Lamandu chuckled, "I think most people want to do that to her. She is rather used to bullying her way through things."

Tirisse burst out laughing, “I am not threatening, I assure you. I am promising, yes?”

“Then I might warn you,” Lamandu cautioned. “For your own sake. It is not worth the trouble. She has... connections. You might not come out as well as you would like, perhaps?"

“I have no fear of Brass Blades, yes?”

“I really do not care one way or another on this matter, as Lou is a thorn in my own side for some years. I am merely giving you friendly advice.” The lalafell smiled at Tirisse, who smiled back.

“Then do me a favor and pass on mine to her, yes? If she is not prepared to pay for her actions, she should not be such a prickly peach, no?”

Lamandu shrugged, "Sure, if it helps you sleep at night." He chuckled at this.

Again the woman laughed. “I have no delusions.”

Lamandu spread out his arms bowing his head, "Fair enough.”

Tirisse bowed then, “Fare thee well,” before turning to walk away.

Lamandu nodded his head, smirking slightly before heading off in the same direction that Lou went.