Hydaelyn Role-Players
Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it (/showthread.php?tid=6287)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Kage - 02-03-2014

I'm now an ilvl72 or ilvl73 BLM and I have just unlocked Coil this weekend. I cleared Titan Hm with an FC mate during the week when he was in a farming group and last night I finished Ultima HM. I've found Ultima HM to be much easier to deal with than the HM primals...

I'm curious about what I can do to start learning Coil. My friends/FC mates pretty much are one static group barring 1-2 people that aren't fully there. I don't think I'd ever get to go in with my friends since they outgear me and are well-versed already with T1-3/4. I'm afraid I'd hold them back as well, either from skill or under-geared.

What are some advice you may have for a BLM for T1-2 as well as how I could start learning it. I have thought about a learning party, but everyone seems to just be in statics and want their clears. Should I just wait for 2.2 when Coil should be much easier to re-run (with CT loot system I think it was implied)?

For reference on my current gear it looks like my lodestone page is up-to-date. http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5927827/
I've been advised to save my myth for the robe (I would need to cap this week and a little more tomes from the next to get it).

Thank you!

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Evie - 02-03-2014

If you're interested I'll add you to my friends list in game (I'm Evelyn Strider). I have a small group of FC members that are working on coil 1 and 2 (coil 2 is so easy) and if you haven't run it by the weekend you're welcome to join us, maybe Friday nights.

Though I've had decent enough groups by using the party finder, but it can be hit or miss. It gets harder to do coil on the weekends as most people run T1 and T2 on Monday. My group can't tend to do that as most of us work or are in school. So time is limited on weekdays.

As to gear. The more the better. It makes things easier, but if the group is able to work well together coordination can make up for some lower gear. Myth gear takes a while to earn, so capping myth every week is important. If you do one CT a day or your random 50 DR that should be done easily enough. CT gear can supplement in the meantime, as this gear is better than Darklight. Now I'm not familiar with the whole min-max thing for classes as that's way more work than I want to put into things, but you can probably find the "best gear" for BLM just by googling it.

Hope all this helps. Smile

Oh also I use this spreadsheet to figure out what gear to invest in...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ao3p9KCFAeo1dFprajJ4bXBEVnJMYm9qQ2FXSlVDYmc&toomany=true#gid=0

your Allagen chest drops turn 2...I saw it last night and QQed cause there was another mage who got it. What I've heard recommended is to get the piece in equivalent myth that drops in turn 5. Which is apparently only your jewlery...pants drop turn 4. But the point is to get the myth pieces that are further along in coil as it'll take more work to get them. But that's just one recommendation. I went for chest and head first myself. So really it's your decision.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Kage - 02-03-2014

Thanks for your response! I'd definitely be interested in getting advice and help if I haven't gotten it yet. Unfortunately I'm usually with friends Friday nights PST (usually back to playing ~10pm PST) since as you mentioned working makes things hard on weekdays.

I've checked one BiS guide that basically means getting allagan drops or getting the myth set which would take me awhile. I currently only have the hero's ring of casting and the ultima band of casting. It looks like based on your rec of getting gear from T4-5 myth equivalent I'd try for belt, earrings and choker piece.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Naunet - 02-03-2014

(02-03-2014, 10:43 AM)ExKage Wrote: I'm curious about what I can do to start learning Coil. My friends/FC mates pretty much are one static group barring 1-2 people that aren't fully there. I don't think I'd ever get to go in with my friends since they outgear me and are well-versed already with T1-3/4. I'm afraid I'd hold them back as well, either from skill or under-geared.

Why do you think this? Have you asked them if you can join them, even just swapping in with a person for the first couple turns? Friends shouldn't have an issue with bringing someone new along. You've got the gear and you have the motivation; the latter is all you really need (though the former helps).

No worries. By saying we're shooting for Friday doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen XD. We didn't even get to coil until yesterday this week.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Asgarn - 02-03-2014

Hey there, ExKage!

Being an iLevel 82 White Mage, I've seen my fair share of both these turns in the Binding Coil of Bahamut. I also happen to find them rather awkward to explain, especially because from a healer's perspective, many things vary! However, I will place the video guides that I used/use for re-caps to get in to the fights and some useful links.

Although healers tend to play very different roles to damage dealers in both these coils (well, duh...) here are a few rather "universal tips":

1. Applies to: Turn 1
When you enter Turn 1, the first enemy you will face will be the Allagan Defence System (ADS for short). In terms of positioning, as a Black Mage, you want to be stood with the healers. There are two ways in which people position themselves in this fight, but I find the best is to have the tanks down in the "depths of the chamber" (near the wall on the far side) with the melee DPS and to have the ranged DPS far back with the healers. As long as everyone avoids AoEs, all is good!

2. Applies to: Turn 1
Again, with the ADS, there are two tactics for the fight itself. Take out adds, or BURN ADS BURN BURN BURN! *Maniacal cackling* ... Ahem. Generally, if you have a pair of competent healers, it is best to burn ADS down. Purely due to the fact of, well, this guy is boring and you want to waste as little time as possible on him. But, depending on your group composure and experience, you might choose to take down the adds as quickly as possible.

3. Applies to: Turn 1
Caduceus. The big boss snake which you either love or hate. With this guy, it's all about tank co-ordination, feeding him slimes (if you have a Bard in your group, that is ideally their duty) and staying the heck out of his path when her splits. So, really, for a Black Mage it's about standing in the right areas and unleashing Hell and high water. This is simple to do as you will see Caduceus starts in the middle of the lowest platform (presuming all hexagonal structures at the same height are a platform). Simply stay off this and near to whichever version of Caduceus your group decide to burn after he splits in two. This will help you stay out of Caduceus way when he splits (unless you have a tanking issue) and his AoE tail swipe (or, as I like to call it, "Monks Bane").

TIP: At approx. 5% of the first snake, your group will transition to the other one, kill it and then return to the 5% snake. This fight is really just a heals/tank check. As long as you don't fall asleep, DPS will be fine! Thumbsup

4. Applies to: Turn 2
Now, the swings and roundabouts bosses on the way to the ADS are far too much for me to explain individually, so I will skip straight to the ADS. He's back! And he's meaner than ever, not that he ever was all that mean. There are two methods to fight this guy, though only one have I ever attempted and win every time. The "Enrage Method".

For this method, you will need the following group composition:
- Tank
- Healer
- Healer
- Healer
- DPS
- DPS
- DPS
- DPS

Or, alternatively, keep both tanks and switch out a DPS, but this is not advised. For obvious reasons, it is ideal if a tank has two classes (one of which being a healer) to switch to.

The enrage method is, as it suggests, allowing the ADS to enrage. If you have attempted Turn 2 before, you will see a countdown begins after first engaging the first enemy. Your goal is to let this countdown reach "1 Tick Remaining" before entering the final boss encounter. When the ADS enrages, I won't lie, his arena turns in to one huge disco rave of AoEs. He has these AoE pulses which, if left unchecked for more than two AoEs in a row WILL wipe the party. So, healers are constantly casting Medica, Medica II, Galvanize and Succor for this reason. A Bard, yet again, is a godsend for this reason.

Again, provided the healers keep you up, just burn your cooldowns and kill the over-sized beach ball.

Now! Those links! Bold text!
(I tend to go to MrHappy1227 for my guides as he seems to be the most understandable and generally... Good at what he does. Please note his guides may vary slightly from what I've said, call it putting my own twist on things. I strongly advise, however, if there are differences follow what he says! So here goes: )

[youtube]0AahAJGPri4[/youtube]

[youtube]t22svRuy6kI[/youtube]

I hope this information was helpful, you didn't drown in my seas of text and that you have luck in defeating both coils! Moogle

TL;DR: Watch the videos. Smile

Regarding turn 2's "enrage method"... I really don't recommend it purely because it's a complete cheesing of the mechanics. The actual fight isn't hard at all and learning to deal with multiple boss mechanics is an important step in becoming a seasoned raider.

I refuse to lead my raid group with that method on principle. >_< Luckily we downed t2 well before it became a "thing", so there's not really any pressure to try it, because why mess with it when we already have a strat that works (that doesn't cheapen the fight)?

I'll point synaesthetic to this thread for BLM-specific tips; I'm sure she can help you out muchly, OP.

(02-03-2014, 01:40 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(02-03-2014, 10:43 AM)ExKage Wrote: I'm curious about what I can do to start learning Coil. My friends/FC mates pretty much are one static group barring 1-2 people that aren't fully there. I don't think I'd ever get to go in with my friends since they outgear me and are well-versed already with T1-3/4. I'm afraid I'd hold them back as well, either from skill or under-geared.

Why do you think this? Have you asked them if you can join them, even just swapping in with a person for the first couple turns? Friends shouldn't have an issue with bringing someone new along. You've got the gear and you have the motivation; the latter is all you really need (though the former helps).
When I mentioned in FC chat that I had unlocked Coil and was going to try to start learning T1-2 I made an assumption based on what a couple replied.. Essentially that I should get better geared. Some of my IRL friends seem amiable about it (one of them directly saying he would try to help but he's essentially taken up one of the roles so they may not want him to help me so he can keep working with the static.. Another mentioned seeing if I could try learning with their FC learning party but I get home at least over an hour past their time).

The rest is my own insecurity.

Well, while better gear certainly will never hurt, the first couple turns of Coil are more than doable with full Darklight and a relic weapon (+1 is nice but not required). You're already above that, so... I find their request that you get better gear a bit sad.

I would offer to take you along with my group, but we already have to rotate dps within the team as we have an overflow; it would be unfair to them to bring someone unrelated.

That said, I'd encourage you to directly ask again if you can join your FC's group for a night (even just turn 1?). Let them know you'll watch video guides ahead of time so you have an idea of what's coming and you'll obviously continue to work on your gear, but you feel you're ready to try and tackle at least the start of Coil.

(02-03-2014, 02:24 PM)Naunet Wrote: Regarding turn 2's "enrage method"... I really don't recommend it purely because it's a complete cheesing of the mechanics. The actual fight isn't hard at all and learning to deal with multiple boss mechanics is an important step in becoming a seasoned raider.

I refuse to lead my raid group with that method on principle. >_< Luckily we downed t2 well before it became a "thing", so there's not really any pressure to try it, because why mess with it when we already have a strat that works (that doesn't cheapen the fight)?

I'll point synaesthetic to this thread for BLM-specific tips; I'm sure she can help you out muchly, OP.

The game developers have stated that they don't feel this is a cheat and that infact it is a valid way to beat turn two. As well as they have no intention of changing it. It is merely a different mechanic that someone discovered another way to complete the fight.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/134023-The-problem-with-allowing-Turn-2-Rage-strat?p=1761577#post1761577

(02-03-2014, 02:56 PM)Evie Wrote: The game developers have stated that they don't feel this is a cheat and that infact it is a valid way to beat turn two. As well as they have no intention of changing it. It is merely a different mechanic that someone discovered another way to complete the fight.

Doesn't actually change my opinion on the "strategy" at all. xP

(02-03-2014, 02:08 PM)Asgarn Wrote: Hey there, ExKage!

-So much very helpful informational text! <3-
[youtube]0AahAJGPri4[/youtube]

[youtube]t22svRuy6kI[/youtube]

I hope this information was helpful, you didn't drown in my seas of text and that you have luck in defeating both coils! :moogle:

TL;DR: Watch the videos. :)
Thanks for the links! I take a looksee at Mr. Happy's videos all the time but having other people tell me to look is reassuring.

(02-03-2014, 02:24 PM)Naunet Wrote: I'll point synaesthetic to this thread for BLM-specific tips; I'm sure she can help you out muchly, OP.
Thank you!

(02-03-2014, 02:40 PM)Naunet Wrote: Well, while better gear certainly will never hurt, the first couple turns of Coil are more than doable with full Darklight and a relic weapon (+1 is nice but not required). You're already above that, so... I find their request that you get better gear a bit sad.

I would offer to take you along with my group, but we already have to rotate dps within the team as we have an overflow; it would be unfair to them to bring someone unrelated.
I think the only stuff I would worry about now are my hat and the NQ vanya robe. I hope to swap out the robe or hat tonight from CT. I really want the vest :|

I know as DPS I'm pretty much the large overflow so no worries. :3 Thanks for the consideration. I know myself I really would prefer to at least run things I'm unfamiliar with with friends. I essentially ran everything at least once with one friend this entire game to get familiar with it.

RE: Coil T1-2 Advice on Getting Started/Learning it - Illira - 02-03-2014

As someone that had to join up with an already established raid group to do Coil, etc., due to my own limitations in how much I could play in comparison to my compatriots (*waves to Naunet*) and subsequently how fast I was able to get up to tanking gear requirements, I do completely understand where you're coming from Kage.

It can be really intimidating to ask and jump-in on a group that has already found its rhythm and isn't really looking for/needing anyone else. But if the group is made up of people that enjoy your company and want to run things with you, it hopefully shouldn't be a burden for them to take you on and engage in some swappage.

I would address the raid lead directly asking if they can make a place for you to swap in for a turn or two, to get you started in BC, as they'll likely have the most definitive answer. I imagine getting a firm answer would be helpful for you to figure out how best to proceed, as you sound like your still a little unsure whether or not the can/will take you on.

Your gear looks fine to start BC off with, though replacing your hat with some DL would be good, since you still look to have an i55 equipped there. Its important to remember though that the gear requirements for non-tanks are don't tend to be nearly as harsh. And in getting the opportunity to run the first couple turns of BC, you'll hopefully get the chance to gear up on some Allagan, which would help your gear level as you continue to work on getting the myth you need for other slots (its good to have a BiS plan so that you can prioritize your picks more easily).

I don't know who the real lead is in it. Either our FC leader or one of my friends...

I tried to avoid the DL because its a cowl that woukd take up the hat and the chest. I'm really hoping a crimson vest pops up on me tonight