Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hello there. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hello there. (/showthread.php?tid=6415)

Pages: 1 2

Hello there. - Rythulian - 02-20-2014

So i'm new to the forums.
Not so new to FFXIV or RPing in general but new to combining the two.

That out of the way though, I made a character on Balmung a little while back with the idea of getting into RPing. Didn't really pan out though simply due to the fact that I had no idea how to go about getting started. I have the basic idea down and i've looked at a few guides but that's as far as i've gotten.

Hopefully looking to try it out with a little help. Maybe get to know a few people to generally have fun with, gets a little dull running quests.

So. Yeah.

Hi.

RE: Hello there. - Faye - 02-20-2014

Welcome, I'm glad you're delving into role-play in FFXIV! Big Grin I'm always looking for more friends and RP buddies, so feel free to say hello if you see me around!

RE: Hello there. - Aya - 02-20-2014

Just give it a try, don't be nervous!  It's often not hard to find people to randomly RP with, keep an eye out for people walking around and the like and just approach them! If they don't reciprocate, then, well, no harm done!

RE: Hello there. - Valke - 02-20-2014

I know exactly what you mean! Most people tell us to just dive in and see what happens, and even when it seems the obvious thing to do, it's easier said than done, haha.

That said, though, glad to hear of a new face on Balmung. If I see you anywhere, I'll try and chat it up with you. c: You're welcome to do the same! Give each other that kick in the butt we need to get started, haha. :)

Keep an eye on events, too, sometimes! They're a good way to meet people, too!

RE: Hello there. - Olofantur - 02-20-2014

Hello Rythulian,

Its too bad that it hasn't worked out for you up until this point, but maybe [and with the support of all the others here] we can make that change now!

You said you've raid a few hadbooks, i'm guessing you took a look at the RP handbook provided by Eva at:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770 ?? its a great resource if not.

But any ways, i've got a few things that might help you on your way. Though I also suggest taking up the kind people in this thread on their offers! Faye is a member of HoD, a group thats done good work from those i've encountered, and Dragonspec has made a push to create a friendly and welcoming Linkshell [as well as an FC, though i'm not sure if the pirate thing is up your alley.]

The welcome post on the front page:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/misc.php?page=welcome
Should help you get acquainted with the resources and key community members here at the RPC, the wiki, linkshell hall, Calendar and all that jazz.

Speaking of Calendar, theres two events happening on Balmung this Saturday!
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/calendar.php?action=dayview&calendar=1&year=2014&month=2&day=22
HoD is hosting a kind of post valentines IC event that might interest you, and the Coffer and Coffin tavern night is a fairly large gathering in Thanalan of all sorts of people. Both are great chances to get to see whose out there and what they might be up to.

If you're looking for a few OOC linkshells to delve into "Intermission" at:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1902
Is a good hub of people, roleplayers of all different types meet and speak in Intermission.

But maybe you'd like to find some people to run dungeons with? want to avoid the duty finder?
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=5045
"Balmungs Finest" might be a good fit for you.

As the others have said, come out and meet us. Jump into the forums, ask some questions, make a comment or two. There's plenty to do, lots of people to interact with and quite the community to help you along your way.

Good luck out there, and feel free to flag me down if you see me running about! Cactuar

RE: Hello there. - Rythulian - 02-20-2014

Well, this post took a bit of a left turn.

Still. Thank you for all the welcomes and i'll keep an eye out for people when roaming around. If I see anyone i'll try to message you or something.

And I will personally take a look at the links suggested and see where things go from there.

RE: Hello there. - Dogberry - 02-20-2014

I'm terribly sorry that this happened in your thread, Rythulian.

Feel free to look me up if you have any questions. If I don't know the answer, I can at least hopefully direct you to someone who can. And if you want to RP, I'm down with that, too. My character follows a code of hospitality and always makes it a point to be kind to strangers.

RE: Hello there. - Asgarn - 02-20-2014

Psst! New person! Ignore the Negative Nancy. I believe someone might have pissed in their teapot.

Back to the topic at hand!
Welcome to the RPC, Ryhtulian! You can be assured that everyone here will go to the necessary lengths to answer any questions you might have and, hopefully, make you feel at home. Should you require my assistance somehow, I'm relatively versed in a variety of subjects relating to the game (including roleplaying hubs, PvE guilds/free companies, RP guilds/free companies and notable figures of the community), as well as general japery and tom-foolery. The two best kinds of -y. Thumbsup Also, if you have an interest in gaming, computers or Biology, consider me your new British friend!

I hope you enjoy your stay! Moogle

P.S. Purely because the taint that Mr DroopyDrawers has dragged all over your thread (sorry about that!) runs rather deep, I might as well address this issue. The RPC is not full of negative people, as he might have you believe. True, we are a diverse mix of people (ie. Super happy people, geniuses both in-game and out, "take them with a pinch of salt" people, jokers and indeed many other types), I would not say -personally- that I have come across any downright meanies.

But, as with all communities, it pays to "take it on the chin" time-to-time. That's just a basic life skill, right? ^_^

RE: Hello there. - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-20-2014

Likewise sorry about the tangent.

I also am open to answer questions or introduce you to communities. The linkshell I run is also sort of a community of communties, so if you have trouble meeting people, I would be happy to help IC or OOC.

RE: Hello there. - Olofantur - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 03:18 PM)Rythulian Wrote: Well, this post took a bit of a left turn.

Still. Thank you for all the welcomes and i'll keep an eye out for people when roaming around. If I see anyone i'll try to message you or something.

And I will personally take a look at the links suggested and see where things go from there.

Glad to hear it won't dampen your mood,

while i'm not really sure what happened [I was watching the womens gold medal game, Goo~ Canada!] I think passion in desiring to provide for the community is a good thing!

Hope you find [and i'm sure you will] plenty of welcoming people out there!

RE: Hello there. - Asgarn - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 04:22 PM)Olofantur Wrote:
(02-20-2014, 03:18 PM)Rythulian Wrote: Well, this post took a bit of a left turn.

Glad to hear it won't dampen your mood,

while i'm not really sure what happened I think passion in desiring to provide for the community is a good thing!

Hope you find [and i'm sure you will] plenty of welcoming people out there!

I don't think anyone knew what was going on. Luckily, I set up a video camera to see what happened after it all settled down. Let's have a look:

[youtube]mQhIMFy-stM[/youtube]

Wow.

RE: Hello there. - Erik Mynhier - 02-20-2014

(02-20-2014, 11:10 AM)Rythulian Wrote: So i'm new to the forums.
Not so new to FFXIV or RPing in general but new to combining the two.

That out of the way though, I made a character on Balmung a little while back with the idea of getting into RPing. Didn't really pan out though simply due to the fact that I had no idea how to go about getting started. I have the basic idea down and i've looked at a few guides but that's as far as i've gotten.

Hopefully looking to try it out with a little help. Maybe get to know a few people to generally have fun with, gets a little dull running quests.

So. Yeah.

Hi.

Wow, never seen something like that happen in the WB, I feel like I missed the party. Anyway welcome to the party buddy.

RE: Hello there. - Rythulian - 02-20-2014

Just going to go down everyone and respond as best I can.
@ Dogberry - Believe it or not i've seen worse happen in a welcome thread on a couple of other forums, so it's fine. I will certainly ask you if I have any questions. And of course if I see you then I might try to hit you up for a little bit or RP.

@ Asgarn - First off. Gaming, yes. Computers, yes. Biology I haven't looked at in years, i'm afraid. I was more into physics. Pretty sure I have a couple of text books lying around though.
And i'm sure I will enjoy it. This slight incident aside. One person can't speak for everyone else after all. I'll see how things go and make up my own mind.

@ Natalie Mcbeef - Once again it's fine, not your fault. I will certainly hit you up at some point probably to ask about linkshells, i've never really used them.

@ Olofantur - What can I say? I'm not going to judge a forum on someone else's opinion. I shall try my best to give back to the community in some way, once I figure things out.

@ Erik Mynhier - To be fair I wasn't around for the majority of it so we both missed it. Thank you for the welcome.

RE: Hello there. - FreelanceWizard - 02-20-2014

I apologize if the flow of this thread is now broken up a bit, but I've split off and archived the off-topic and inline deleted posts because they were absolutely not helpful. I didn't want to completely kill the thread, and I've tried to preserve bits of information that are helpful and relevant. However, thread surgery is an ugly process. Sad No offense is intended to anyone whose posts got zapped, and I'm sorry a mod didn't have a chance to jump in this earlier.

RE: Hello there. - TheShii - 02-20-2014

Welcome to the forums!!! Big Grin