Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is there a way to change your character name? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Is there a way to change your character name? (/showthread.php?tid=6464)

Is there a way to change your character name? - Kage - 02-24-2014

Say... without Fantasia?

I'm 60% in the camp of wanting to change my main's character name... if Fantasia is a way I can't do it because I used Fantasia already to make Kage even more adorable than have an appearance more like what I imagine than when I first started the game in November.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Sophia_Grave - 02-24-2014

You can either hold out for a name change service, or you can do the server hop trick:

1. Pay $18 bucks to move to another server.
2. Create a dummy character your intended server (Balmung?) with your exact name.
3. Pay another $18 bucks to move your primary character back.
4. Once back on Balmung, your name will have been taken by the dummy character, so you'll be prompted to change your name.

Unfortunately, the process costs $36, so you might be better off waiting. I've been trying to keep an eye on a name change service on the official forums, and they never explicitly said they won't do it, so there's hope I suppose.

And by the way, Fantasia doesn't allow name changing.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Rythulian - 02-24-2014

As far as I know the only way to change name is to force it, could be wrong though.

And by force it I mean, set up a dummy character on a different server with the same name. Transfer the character you want to change onto that server. And it should prompt you to change your name because you obviously can't have two characters with the same one, on the same server.

I don't know whether they've fixed that method or not though.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Steel Wolf - 02-24-2014

You'd figure if people are willing to pay $36 to go through a name change in a process that resembles the Konami code, they'd open up the name change as an optional service.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Kage - 02-24-2014

Hrm... I might not be that desperate for a name change at $36 and time (if needed) to wait before transfers.

I'm assuming the transfers also have a delay in between.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - TheLastCandle - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 11:22 AM)ExKage Wrote: Hrm... I might not be that desperate for a name change at $36 and time (if needed) to wait before transfers.

I used this method. And yes, it's a 3 day waiting period, which I can tell you is agonizing.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Almil - 02-24-2014

If I remember right someone here got their name changed in 1.0. Think he inquired the customer support of it so he could get more RP friendly name. But...not sure if they agree to do that always. But if you have anything else to contact them, you could always ask about the name too as side question, no harm then ;D

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Koninbeor - 02-27-2014

(02-24-2014, 11:34 AM)TheLastCandle Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 11:22 AM)ExKage Wrote: Hrm... I might not be that desperate for a name change at $36 and time (if needed) to wait before transfers.

I used this method. And yes, it's a 3 day waiting period, which I can tell you is agonizing.

This is what I'm doing at the moment. I get to move back to Balmung this evening. I really don't get why they don't have a paid name change service when you can completely bypass the restriction with a simple server switch.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Aysun - 02-27-2014

(02-24-2014, 01:17 PM)Almil Wrote: If I remember right someone here got their name changed in 1.0.  Think he inquired the customer support of it so he could get more RP friendly name. But...not sure if they agree to do that always. But if you have anything else to contact them, you could always ask about the name too as side question, no harm then ;D

I'd definitely try this first.. that is, if you are actually using it to get your name more lore-friendly. Smile

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Koninbeor - 02-27-2014

(02-27-2014, 06:13 PM)Aysun Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 01:17 PM)Almil Wrote: If I remember right someone here got their name changed in 1.0.  Think he inquired the customer support of it so he could get more RP friendly name. But...not sure if they agree to do that always. But if you have anything else to contact them, you could always ask about the name too as side question, no harm then ;D

I'd definitely try this first.. that is, if you are actually using it to get your name more lore-friendly. Smile

If you go this route then the very best of luck to you. The forums are filled with people asking for name changes. Due to the abysmal success rate people seem to experience there, I've opted to just bite the bullet and pay for the stupid transfer off and back. Still, if spending $36 and wasting 3 full days isn't feasible then it sure wouldn't hurt to give the forums a try.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Erik Mynhier - 02-27-2014

Keep in mind Kage, doing the hop will wipe your friend's list, linkshells, and your FC (if you own one.) There is a delay of 24 or 48 hours. I'm not sure, the mogstation has the prices though.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Kage - 02-28-2014

..... ok yeah that's not happening then.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Koninbeor - 02-28-2014

(02-27-2014, 09:03 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:

Keep in mind Kage, doing the hop will wipe your friend's list, linkshells, and your FC (if you own one.) There is a delay of 24 or 48 hours. I'm not sure, the mogstation has the prices though.

You can't use the World Transfer Service if it's been used within the last 3 days.

RE: Is there a way to change your character name? - Erik Mynhier - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 03:09 AM)ExKage Wrote: ..... ok yeah that's not happening then.

Tenacious D makes me love your name Kage. Everytime I see you in the QS I want to sing this in PM to you:

Although I will be unable to refrain from singing this to you if we ever run Ifrit together. I'll macro it and flood the party chat the whole fight.