Hydaelyn Role-Players
Characters with Hair Highlights? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Characters with Hair Highlights? (/showthread.php?tid=6585)

Pages: 1 2

Characters with Hair Highlights? - Madda - 03-07-2014

Madda is curious while creating a Hellsguard. Madda is aiming to be very "Vi-like" from League of Legends, and was wondering if roleplayers were against having highlights in their hair.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Rinette - 03-07-2014

I don't see why not. There are plenty of RPers out there with "unnatural" (pink, green, blue as opposed to "natural" black, brown, blonde) colored hair and now with the aesthetician it makes a little more sense for having it. So I don't see why there would be a problem with highlights.

I suppose it could still make sense without the aesthetician if the character was an alchemist or knew one but that's offtopic.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Kage - 03-07-2014

Kage's hair is like... blue with red highlights. Blush I'd say highlights are ok.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Jolaine - 03-07-2014

While I'd advise against a character who just pops out of the womb with electric blue and bubblegum pink hair, it is definitely possible to ICly get funky colours through the Aesthetician!

[Image: Xi22QVj.jpg]
That's his most recent client in the background with the green and yellow hair. She had dark brown (black?) hair before her makeover.

There are some other NPCs who have highlights which may or may not be natural.

Highlights are often used to create a salt-and-pepper effect for older males.
Alberic from the Dragoon questline:
[Image: DqQ1eF3.png] 

Duskwight characters might have naturally occurring highlights, but since they're so rare, it's impossible to tell. They're rather unusual looking - grey skin and pink/red eyes - so highlighted hair wouldn't seem out of place. 
Foulques from the Lancer questline:
[Image: sSFMIsI.jpg]

Finally, there are two other NPCs with very unusually coloured hair. They're a pair of Midlanders with pink and purple highlighted hair. Unfortunately, I can't show you a screenshot without posting some massive story quest spoilers, so I'll put it in a spoiler tag.

MAJOR LEVEL 34 STORY QUEST SPOILERS BELOW. You have been warned.
Show Content

Overall, I think you can get away with highlights as long as you have it from the aesthetician/a method similar to what he uses, and not just naturally born that way.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Naunet - 03-07-2014

(03-07-2014, 06:01 PM)Jolaine Wrote: Overall, I think you can get away with highlights as long as you have it from the aesthetician/a method similar to what he uses, and not just naturally born that way.

I would disagree, actually, and assert that you can be born with hair of any color. If NPCs can have pink hair or white hair (while not being extremely aged), then it's not really that strange to think that other colors are natural as well.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Ildur - 03-07-2014

The main problem with the highlights isn't that they exist or that you can have the weirdest color combinations, but that Squee sucked incredibly at making them. Most of them look like they brushed the hair at absolute random. They are not proper highlights in most of the hairs: they are the result of someone dropping a tiny paint bucket on your character's head.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Naunet - 03-07-2014

I'll agree with that. A lot of them just look plain weird.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Nebbs - 03-08-2014

Oh I went blue with pink highlights, her tail is blue and to me it is natural.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Crisiet - 03-08-2014

Your character has highlights because... Because... Reasons.

Seriously, don't worry about the why too much. There are plenty of NPCs with odd hair colourations. If it's the appearance you're happiest with, just go for it.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Steel Wolf - 03-09-2014

This is one of those minor details that I admittedly didn't devote too much thought-time on my character--I enjoyed how she looks with dark hair and deep pink highlights, so I went with it.

"The Aesthetician did it" crutch is perfectly fine to lean on to here, as far as I'm concerned...and it appears I'm not alone. :3

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Almil - 03-09-2014

Pfft, my chars have green hair and white hair from birth *nodnod*
They haven't seen any stylist!

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - FreelanceWizard - 03-09-2014

In L'yhta's case, she spends a not inconsequential amount of gil on having the aesthetician change her hair color from its natural purple to... whatever color she's feeling like at the moment. Smile

That said, there's enough NPCs with variant hair colors about that I think you can justify whatever you want.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Askier - 03-09-2014

I wouldn't worry to much about it.  We are here to have fun and if you enjoy the style,  I think people will respect the color choices and just go along.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - Ildur - 03-09-2014

I like my game mechanics to be married to my lore. With that in mind, and considering how during the initial Character Creation the game gives us a very wide selection of colors, I'd say all of those are natural hair colors.

Or in other words, if there were any unnatural hair colors, they wouldn't be available in Character Creation.

RE: Characters with Hair Highlights? - E'lario - 03-10-2014

This is a Final Fantasy game, odd hair colors come with the territory. If your character has pink or green hair (or both) I say have fun with it!