Hydaelyn Role-Players
Confused and Frustrated - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Confused and Frustrated (/showthread.php?tid=6630)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Confused and Frustrated - Melodia - 03-13-2014

I am very new to MMOs (this is my first and I only just started in November), and thus I am very new to role playing, so please forgive this post if it is silly or just full of rookie mistakes.

I joined the Balmung server with a desire to try rp. I have a character on another server who is leveled high and such, so in this server I am a very low level character. I don't really know anyone at all. I have met a few people but never for more than maybe 10 -15 minutes at a time. So, my engagements have been very limited. But it feels sometimes like I am 1 step forward, 2 steps back in terms of making friends.

To be specific, in the past two days I have met folks (yay) and engaged in small level rp (yay), but I also feel a bit excluded from some of the....ugh, I hate using the word, but "cliques" that exist (and it's really for a lack of better word). I met someone who was really cool and we had a fun conversation, only to see a mt whisper pop up where the person seemed annoyed and wanted to go. Then the person left the FC less than an hour later. Sad Others I have met seem only mildly curious about me and then don't want to engage (but I get it....the IC aspect). But many times I try engage, people are OOC and don't seem to want to be IC, or their group IC is set and I feel like I am just butting in so, I leave and end up alone again. I try and be nice, but outside of the "cute Lalafell"  swoon that soon fades, I seem to be more of an annoyance to the more established folks. And there are times I send tells with serious OOC questions that are ignored completely. It gets to be disheartening.

I am just confused and not sure what to do. I end up just wandering the world tackling story quests instead because at times (and I know...it may just be my own perception) I feel unwanted. And when you're doing a story you already know and have already completed elsewhere, it can be incredibly lonely. Ugh....I am venting I know, and I don't know what I expect here. I just don't want to pester the leaders of the FC I am in because I perster them enough with the 1,001 questions I always have. I just wonder if I made the right decision trying this. Huh

RE: Confused and Frustrated - xelliexell - 03-13-2014

It can be rough starting out, and even down the road I share some of the same frustrations as yourself (ie: everyone my character gets close to ends up leaving the game. It's to the point where I think my lalafell is cursed. Oh! Maybe it's a lalafell thing!? Surprise )

But one of the things I'd recommend is to keep an eye on the calendar for events - I know there are a couple of chocobo races coming up at least! I'm sure both racing coordinators wouldn't mind you jumping in as jockey, if you'd like to take up a more active/fun role!

Also, I see a lot of people posting on these forums asking for people to have a connection with their character, or just looking for RP buddies, or even just being new and trying to establish their own characters. I'd try hitting a few of these people up, as they may be in the same boat as you!

Try not to be discouraged over a few bad experiences. Much like the real world, sometimes it's just a matter of finding cool people that you mesh with.

RE: Confused and Frustrated - N'taeyl - 03-13-2014

I think a lot of people are frustrated with their RP experience lately, myself included.  I have a small group with a plot ongoing, which is very welcome to outside people to join, but without that it feels like the only place to find strangers to RP with is the Quicksand - which my main character hates.

This is also a down period between major updates, however this game seems to have a biiiig lag time of activity between updates.  It's also still considered a new release, I guess players being less interested between updates is typical.  

As mentioned, the best option is to go to the public events to meet people.  If they don't feel like socializing at those events then they're idiots anyway, why would you go!?

RE: Confused and Frustrated - allgivenover - 03-13-2014

After a while people tend to glue together into cliques with their friends, and often feel little need to branch out. If all the RP you want comes from the same 5 people or so, then why go get more? It's not a deliberate effort to exclude newcomers, it's just in people's nature to be this way.

Try asking people you've already RP'd with if they'd like to RP with you again directly, often people are pleased by direct requests for RP, as they are not all that common after a community settles. It can be tough to break in.

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Bexy - 03-13-2014

Whilst i understand some people do... Tend to form into the same groups and what have you, i know many others like to go seeking "Random RP" for a change up in things. Also, completely get your need to rant. We all need that sometimes. But, i'll RP with just about anyone, so feel free to hit me up! So long as i'm not wearing a full gearset, i'm IC. Feel free to bother me in game. ^w^

RE: Confused and Frustrated - ArmachiA - 03-13-2014

I think currently with the patch coming up it's going to be hard to find a lot of pick up RP because why play when you know a patch is coming? This is pretty standard for most MMO's and everytime a content patch is on the horizon the roleplaying goes waayyyy down, then stays down while some people do the content for a week or so.

Don't get discouraged! Keep trying to meet people (I also have the problem that the Quicksand is just too crowded for my awkward character though I go in there sometimes) and hang out at the Quicksand when you can. Go to events - the easiest one would be the Grindstone every Saturday there are lots of spectators. Is your FC pulling you into a story? Try to get involved in their shenanigans. As a GM of a heavy plot based guild, I LOVE it when new members are proactive and sent me tells about how to include their character more. It's hard, because it's easy to be shy. Your best bet is to find someone who can pull you into things so you don't feel so alone. I know a few people in my guild who are really popular at the Quicksand (Calling Natalie, Calling Roen) who may be able to help you with that.

We RPers are friendly, but it can be hard to pull us away from our established groups (My character was out of social rp for 2 months due to a guild plot and I'm having to reacclimate to pick up rp). Also I'd be willing to rp with you Smile

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Kage - 03-13-2014

((I sees a Roen in this thread too /runs))

Sorry last night for not being able to immediately say anything to you! I just got out of a horrible CT run so I needed to get a drink but it was great to meet someone, especially another Lalafell.

At the moment, I don't have any free RPs going on but if you're open to spend a little more time IC with Kage (gosh when I'm not busy but I've done all my weekly capped things this week so I'm open to RP mostly!!) maybe we can hash things out ^^ Kage doesn't have much in the way of things going for him, he kinda acts more of a supportive character. So if say Rurutani needed a sword or a magic-user (though Kage prefers swords now), he'd be willing to jump to Rurutani's aid.

Unless Rurutani is secretly a Lalafell planning a coup d'état against the Sultana and Kage found out. He might be... displeased.

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Melodia - 03-13-2014

(03-13-2014, 10:04 AM)ExKage Wrote: Sorry last night for not being able to immediately say anything to you! I just got out of a horrible CT run so I needed to get a drink but it was great to meet someone, especially another Lalafell.

Oh no! Kage was fine! Smile  I was glad to have been able to say hello but I truly was exhausted and needed to get to bed. What I'm describing has been my various interactions where I have had time to talk and such. So this was definitely not related to you. Kage rocks. Thumbsup

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Roen - 03-13-2014

Yes? I have been summoned! Smile

Ha! Armi (and Kage while I was typing this post...) totally beat me to responding to this post. I am sorry to hear that you had a few bad encounters. They would make me feel unwanted to. I think though that they are exceptions rather than the rule.

When I started out, I used to hang out in Quicksand, sometimes even just emoting by myself reading a book or what not. And read the scrolling chat to see if anyone had any interesting conversations going on. Or if there were other RPers that seem to be looking for interaction. Then maybe think of a way to hook them into a conversation, or hook myself into their scene. Sometimes sending a tell to facilitate the process. And it didn't work all the time. But don't give up!

I also agree with the previous posters above. Go to the events on the calendar. RPers show up to those things TO socialize!  Grindstone happens every Wed and Sat, there are some chocobo races happening too. And I see that you are in the Harbingers of Dawn. What I know of that FC, they are full of helpful and friendly RPers!  Don't be shy about approaching them or your FC leader about this too! You could be missing out on some great opportunities there.

Lastly, I love random RPs. I would be happy to RP with you. Just send me a tell whenever I am on. If I am not in a preplanned session, we can come up with something on the spot. If I am, we can always think up something in the near future. Or at least, get our names on each other's friend's list!

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Melodia - 03-13-2014

I want to thank everyone so far for the replies. I just want to make sure everyone knows, I have had good experiences as well. Smile   I think that what has happened is, the few good ones I have had get washed away by that feeling of isolation, if that makes any sense. And yes, the FC folks I have talked to have been great. But in our FC chat, which is OOC, everyone seems so close and it really is hard to "bond" with anyone as messages go flying by and everyone seems to part of a conversation I am just not understanding or part of. And yeah....there is a lot of backstory rp going on that is hard to jump into. But I definitely have not had a problem with any people per se....just circumstances I guess. I get confused a lot about what I have to do, or how to rp in general and eventually tuck my tail and go fight monsters because that's easier for me to deal with.

And I apologize for venting/whining (as I know some may see it). I will make an effort to try and meet more people. Maybe chatting with some people OOC to get to know them better will help me feel better with rp..?

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Evie - 03-13-2014

(03-13-2014, 10:17 AM)Brynn Wrote: \ And I see that you are in the Harbingers of Dawn. What I know of that FC, they are full of helpful and friendly RPers!  Don't be shy about approaching them or your FC leader about this too! You could be missing out on some great opportunities there.

I have to agree with Brynn, I've had great experience with HOD in my interactions with them. Our FCs had an RP event planned by one of theirs a few weekends ago and it was amazing. We're trying to work on planning another event between our guilds so look for that, hopefully in April (spring break coming up for me so going on a vacation, thank god). Faye is a very good person to work with as is Karaan, these are the two I've had the most dealing with. Though I've learned ICly the FC lead is quite interesting XD.

I'm just going to mirror everyone else and say if you ever see me running around feel free to wave me down or send me a tell.

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Evie - 03-13-2014

(03-13-2014, 10:31 AM)Rurutani Wrote: I want to thank everyone so far for the replies. I just want to make sure everyone knows, I have had good experiences as well. Smile   I think that what has happened is, the few good ones I have had get washed away by that feeling of isolation, if that makes any sense. And yes, the FC folks I have talked to have been great. But in our FC chat, which is OOC, everyone seems so close and it really is hard to "bond" with anyone as messages go flying by and everyone seems to part of a conversation I am just not understanding or part of. And yeah....there is a lot of backstory rp going on that is hard to jump into. But I definitely have not had a problem with any people per se....just circumstances I guess. I get confused a lot about what I have to do, or how to rp in general and eventually tuck my tail and go fight monsters because that's easier for me to deal with.

And I apologize for venting/whining (as I know some may see it). I will make an effort to try and meet more people. Maybe chatting with some people OOC to get to know them better will help me feel better with rp..?

Everyone needs to vent, we'd go crazy if we didn't. And yes getting to know people OOC definitely helps when it comes to IC. Talk to some people with a backstory RP your interested in and figure out OOCly how exactly would be the best way to get your characters interacting together. It makes things easy and gets you started. If you enjoy fighting monsters, maybe that's the perfect way to get people introduced, just a random meeting in the field where you team up to fight a giant rampaging crab. I was at Behemoth the other day and some little Lalafell was ranting ICly during the fight about people just running headlong into danger with no thought to personal well being. Me, him, and my friend ended up walking all the way back to Dragonhead ICly chatting. So like Brynn said and interesting emote or random muttering can catch people's attention. Smile

RE: Confused and Frustrated - TheLastCandle - 03-13-2014

Events, events, events. Go to them. Strike up conversations with the other attendees. I rarely - almost never - go to the Quicksand simply because I dislike how most if not all RP is centered on Ul'dah. Call it a silent protest if you will. But for whatever it's worth, if you see me about and I'm not crafting or queued for something, feel free to approach.

RE: Confused and Frustrated - C'kayah Polaali - 03-13-2014

There are a ton of good ideas in this thread. To those I'd add "be patient and proactive". It took me a while before I could really start breaking into RP. That said, I had far more luck at the start making my own RP: I'd examine people who were walking or sitting around in RP areas looking for "Roleplayer" tags, then I'd send them /tells to see if they were interested in some RP. It's a great way to meet other RPers who aren't currently RPing right that minute, and I continue to do so to this day.

RE: Confused and Frustrated - Kimikimi - 03-13-2014

Since this thread is still new, I thought I would like to add. Hey I am new to RP too and also play a Lalafell female. I honestly have little ideas on my RP and just taking it as it comes. Perhaps my back story will thicken later. But like many people here I am mostly alone in the world of RP and would like to make friends.