Hydaelyn Role-Players
Resurrection rp thought - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Resurrection rp thought (/showthread.php?tid=7241)

Resurrection rp thought - Askier - 05-24-2014

Now I am no lore master, so much still to learn, so if there is an answer to this line of thought, feel free to point it out to me. Big Grin lol

So, I've been leveling arcanist as of late for fun and recently unlocked the skill resurrection. I hadn't thought about  it really until recently but, in regards to rp and IC deaths of characters and their loved ones, what's to keep people from running down to their local arcanist, dragging them to the death bed, and have them make the dead live again?

I just thought it was an interesting idea and was wondering what other people thought or knew regarding it.

RE: Resurrection rp thought - LandStander - 05-24-2014

Can't. The dev's described the reason why the player does not die is because they are protected by Hydaelyn. Basically every time they near death they are whisked away through the aether and back to an aetheryte. Which is why you get home pointed when you die in the game. 

There is no way to revive the dead in the game..sort of.

Edit: As far as resurrection goes. Its just a way to keep the body there, giving them enough power to get back up instead of being whisked away. Once a person is dead, they are dead.

Show Content

RE: Resurrection rp thought - Auralily - 05-24-2014

I'm not completely sure, as I haven't died in a while. But I think you're technically just Knocked Out and unable to recover without some fancy spell, Resurrection or Raise.

RE: Resurrection rp thought - Ciel - 05-24-2014

My thought is that things like Resurrection and Raise are purely situational, storywise, otherwise dying in battle, war, or even in an accident would be far less of a concern.  On the text-based game I run, I try to spin it sort of like this, and again this is purely based on overthinking it for another game. If here are spoilers in here, I apologize, as none are intended:

Several things are needed for a Resurrection/Raise/Phoenix Down to be effective at bringing someone back.

1. The body must be intact, as far as vital bits are concerned.  You can lose an arm and still survive or be revived, but if you're decapitated, torn in half, or your heart or other vital organ has been ripped out, all bets are off.  There is nothing a spell or reviving item can do for you. 

In the event that the body is -mostly- intact, but there is a wound to the heart which would otherwise prevent Res from working, a skilled chirurgeon -might- be able to go in and make enough of a repair for the spell to be effective, but it's iffy, and would probably depend on how quickly the chirurgeon gets to it.

2. Will.  How strong is/was the will of the one they're trying to revive?  Would that person want to live? Did they feel they had nothing else to continue living for?

3. Did their death fulfill some purpose which they were prepared to lay down their life for?  If the latter, a purpose fulfilled would mean they are probably satisfied and at peace with the choice which led to their demise and may not be willing to return.  (i.e. Aerith).

4. Age and/or illness.  Similar to point #1, if the person is very old or very sick, chances are Res will not be effective once they finally succumb. The body is in no condition to sustain life going forward.

RE: Resurrection rp thought - FreelanceWizard - 05-24-2014

(05-24-2014, 02:24 PM)Auralily Wrote: I'm not completely sure, as I haven't died in a while. But I think you're technically just Knocked Out and unable to recover without some fancy spell, Resurrection or Raise.

Yep.

As LandStander noted, the implication of the Conjurer and the Alchemist quest lines -- not to mention the MSQ, where a fair number of people get killed -- is that once someone is dead, they stay that way. Their souls return to the lifestream (or, if they miss their chance to do so, you end up with a Revenant, per the FATE in Sorrel Haven). So, what the various Revive spells and items do is restore a person at the brink of death to fighting form; they don't actually raise the dead. Alternatively, some can return to an Aetheryte using the force of their Anima.

RE: Resurrection rp thought - Askier - 05-24-2014

Hey everyone. Thank you for the quick and in-depth answers. Big Grin

The fact that they aren't actually dead makes a lot of sense. I had orignally assumed that people whobdied were dead and gone but when I got the skill and thought about it, I got curious. Lol.

Again, I really appreciate the info. Big Grin

RE: Resurrection rp thought - synaesthetic - 05-24-2014

The raise spells are just powerful healing spells that get you back up when you're in "critical" condition.

Think like D&D rules where at 0HP you're unconscious, and at -10 HP you're dead for real and the various rules for actually raising the dead... high-level cleric of a god that isn't against your alignment, or a miracle or wish spell from a very high-level mage... and even when you do these things, the "raiser" ends up losing a lot (generally a good chunk of XP) and the "raisee" comes back with a permanent -1 CON penalty...

XIV doesn't even have that much, so "Raise" and "Resurrection" aren't actually raising the dead but just stabilizing someone in very critical condition.

RE: Resurrection rp thought - Hyakki - 05-25-2014

I view resurrection spells as a magical defibrillator or the equivalent of slapping someone to wake them up depending on the severity of the situation.