Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPing Question. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPing Question. (/showthread.php?tid=7270)

RPing Question. - Lest Azure - 05-29-2014

I apologize in advanced if I posted this in the wrong section or something along those lines!  but, I just have a question to ya veterans in rping! I am new to rp..so I'm not quite sure what I should do, I don't want to annoy or trouble anyone if I do it incorrectly, what advice or what do you recommend  that I do?

RE: RPing Question. - Aya - 05-30-2014

(05-29-2014, 10:14 PM)Lest Azure Wrote: I apologize in advanced if I posted this in the wrong section or something along those lines!  but, I just have a question to ya veterans in rping! I am new to rp..so I'm not quite sure what I should do, I don't want to annoy or trouble anyone if I do it incorrectly, what advice or what do you recommend  that I do?
All you can do really is just take every chance you can to RP.  Trying approaching people- after you have, if they seem like they don't want to be bothered, than don't bother them, and you can always ask in an OOC whisper to double check Smile

But, really, random walk-up RP is the best way to meet people and sort of figure out what you're doing.

RE: RPing Question. - Zveld - 05-30-2014

Could come to Diabolos. FC link is in my sig. Just started an RP linkshell; don't have to join the FC to join the shell. 

Best of luck on your travels...

RE: RPing Question. - Tiergan - 05-30-2014

Have you read the RP Handbook? Parts of it are outdated because it was created back in the 1.0 version of the game before the reboot, so things like anima for teleportation no longer exist, but it could be a helpful read.

Other than that, there are a few basic RP no-nos that so long as you avoid them, you should generally be on a good path:

Don't godmode (RP that you're all powerful and invincible).
Don't metagame. (just because you know something OOC doesn't mean your character is capable of knowing it too)
Keep IC and OOC separate. (AKA. If your character hates or loves someone else's character with a passion, that doesn't mean YOU as a person also hate/love the other player OOCly.)

RE: RPing Question. - Merie - 05-30-2014

I'm new to RP too ^^ so I'll tell you what I've been doing

from what I've seen most RPs happen in the quicksand in Ul'dah
just go there..sit down and watch people RP, believe me you can learn a lot from just watching!

And if you feel like joining someone you could just walk up to them ICly or if you don't know...send a /tell to one of them asking if its ok

there are also the class-type RPs...dunno if you saw the thread..if you haven't I'll look for the link..since I'm on mobile..and stuff i can't open too many tabs my phone will go crazy...

But anyway!
The community here is super friendly so don't worry so much ^^

Have fun RP'ing

RE: RPing Question. - Warren Castille - 05-30-2014

A couple of stand-bys I've noticed in my time as a serial RP lurker.

-People in RP "hubs" like the Quicksand or the Drowning Wench tend to not mind people joining in conversationally. If they're openly talking in say and emoting in a public place, they want people to see and interact with them. Just send a tell first if you're unsure.

-If you have a role for your character, just start doing it in public. To use myself as an example, Warren is a paladin. I just started standing around and grumpily keeping watch, and people started addressing me as such. The world's pretty malleable, and since we're all here to roleplay, you'll be included just by the nature of it.

-When in doubt, make your intentions known by emoting to yourself. If you're at a bar, emote sitting down and ordering a drink and looking around. A lot of folks will just lurk and look for an opening just like you're sort of doing, so if you open yourself up you're liable to be approached.

Hope it helps! Finding a way in is often the hardest part of getting started.

RE: RPing Question. - Lest Azure - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 12:53 AM)Aya Wrote:
(05-29-2014, 10:14 PM)Lest Azure Wrote: I apologize in advanced if I posted this in the wrong section or something along those lines!  but, I just have a question to ya veterans in rping! I am new to rp..so I'm not quite sure what I should do, I don't want to annoy or trouble anyone if I do it incorrectly, what advice or what do you recommend  that I do?
All you can do really is just take every chance you can to RP.  Trying approaching people- after you have, if they seem like they don't want to be bothered, than don't bother them, and you can always ask in an OOC whisper to double check Smile

But, really, random walk-up RP is the best way to meet people and sort of figure out what you're doing.

Ah I see, thank you for the advice ^^

(05-30-2014, 02:37 AM)Zveld Wrote: Could come to Diabolos. FC link is in my sig. Just started an RP linkshell; don't have to join the FC to join the shell. 

Best of luck on your travels...
 Ah, I'll think about it haha and thank you for the offer c:

(05-30-2014, 03:14 AM)Tiergan Wrote: Have you read the RP Handbook?  Parts of it are outdated because it was created back in the 1.0 version of the game before the reboot, so things like anima for teleportation no longer exist, but it could be a helpful read.

Other than that, there are a few basic RP no-nos that so long as you avoid them, you should generally be on a good path:  

Don't godmode (RP that you're all powerful and invincible).  
Don't metagame. (just because you know something OOC doesn't mean your character is capable of knowing it too)  
Keep IC and OOC separate.  (AKA. If your character hates or loves someone else's character with a passion, that doesn't mean YOU as a person also hate/love the other player OOCly.)
 I read a bit of it yesterday, but I'll read more of it today and thank you for the advice^^

(05-30-2014, 03:25 AM)Merie Wrote: I'm new to RP too ^^ so I'll tell you what I've been doing

from what I've seen most RPs happen in the quicksand in Ul'dah
just go there..sit down and watch people RP, believe me you can learn a lot from just watching!

And if you feel like joining someone you could just walk up to them ICly or if you don't know...send a /tell to one of them asking if its ok

there are also the class-type RPs...dunno if you saw the thread..if you haven't I'll look for the link..since I'm on mobile..and stuff i can't open too many tabs my phone will go crazy...

But anyway!
The community here is super friendly so don't worry so much ^^

Have fun RP'ing
I'll check out Ul'dah then  and wait patiently and see what happens c:
Thanks for the advice as well!

(05-30-2014, 09:19 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: A couple of stand-bys I've noticed in my time as a serial RP lurker.

-People in RP "hubs" like the Quicksand or the Drowning Wench tend to not mind people joining in conversationally. If they're openly talking in say and emoting in a public place, they want people to see and interact with them. Just send a tell first if you're unsure.

-If you have a role for your character, just start doing it in public. To use myself as an example, Warren is a paladin. I just started standing around and grumpily keeping watch, and people started addressing me as such. The world's pretty malleable, and since we're all here to roleplay, you'll be included just by the nature of it.

-When in doubt, make your intentions known by emoting to yourself. If you're at a bar, emote sitting down and ordering a drink and looking around. A lot of folks will just lurk and look for an opening just like you're sort of doing, so if you open yourself up you're liable to be approached.

Hope it helps! Finding a way in is often the hardest part of getting started.
thanks so much!!  I'll try some of these today and hopefully get into it without any trouble haha