Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close (/showthread.php?tid=7272)

[Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Sounsyy - 05-29-2014

Case Study: Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te
Family Population, Distribution, and Projected Location Within Eorzea

~Foreword~

After completing a similar Case Study for Seeker Miqo'te, I knew eventually curiosity would get the better of me and I'd have to do one for Keeper Miqo'te as well. Well, I collected some data back when I did the Seeker survey, but then Patch 2.2 dropped and some NPCs got added and some NPCs disappeared. In short, I finally got around to my Keeper study. Enjoy!

~Purpose~
  • To find and, if possible, isolate each of the Keeper families in game.
  • To get a vague idea of the population of each family. How prevalent are they in comparison to other families?
  • To create a resource for RPers looking to play a particular family.

~Hypothesis~

I'll be honest, after Seekers, I had very few expectations going into this. And to follow previous trends, what few things I did expect to see, I did not. For instance, that a majority of the Keepers would appear in Gridania or that more families would be represented in game... Well, I'll get to that.

~Methodology~

I covered every square ilm of Eorzea ...again... on foot/mount looking for Miqo'te NPCs.

The data collected does not include Keeper Miqo'te found in Quest Cutscenes or FATEs. The data below was collected solely from NPCs in the Open World. This also does not include the massive amounts of Keeper Miqo'te Enemies such as the Coeurlclaw Poachers.

Miqo'te characters were then identified as either Seeker or Keeper based upon pupil shape. Verticle slit pupils denoted Seekers and large, round pupils denoted Keepers.

~Data~

Named Keepers of the Moon

Aliapoh [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (New Gridania)
Epocan [Total: 2]
  • Gridania - 1 (Fallgourd)
  • Limsa - 1* (Lower Decks)
Gamduhla [Total: 1]
Jaab [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (Bentbranch)
Jinjahl [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (Quarrymill)
Khamazom [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (The Bannock)
Lyehga [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (Hawthorne Hut)
Maimhov [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (Old Gridania)
Mewrilah [Total: 1]
  • Ul'dah - 1 (Waking Sands)
Molkoh [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (Bentbranch)
Molkot [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (North Shroud)
Moshroca [Total: 2]
  • Gridania - 2 (Old Gridania | Camp Tranquil)
Moui [Total: 1]
Nelhah [Total: 1]
  • Gridania - 1 (Old Gridania)
Tayuun [Total: 1]
  • Mor Dhona - 1 (Revenant's Toll)
*Denotes a-typical Keeper of the Moon. See "Outliers/Oddballs" section below.

Total Named Keepers of the Moon: 17

Un-named Keepers of the Moon

Gridania: 11 (4 of the 11 reside within the city of Gridania. 4 reside in S. Shroud.)
Ul'dah: 7 (3 of the 7 reside within the city of Ul'dah. 2 reside in E. Thanalan.)
Limsa: 2 (1 of the 2 resides within the city of Limsa.)
Ishgard: 1
Mor Dhona: 1

Total Un-named Keepers of the Moon: 22
Total In-game Keepers of the Moon Population: 39
Total Male Keeper of the Moon Population: 1

~Outliers / Oddballs~

1. F'lhaminn in The Rising Stone is a Keeper Miqo'te, yet has a Seeker name.
  2. H'amneko in Camp Tranquil is a Keeper Miqo'te, yet has a Seeker name.
  3. Rubh Epocan in Melvaan's Gate is a Seeker Miqo'te, yet has a traditional Keeper Family name.
  4. Kipih Jakkya in the Lightning Quests is a Seeker Miqo'te, yet has a traditional Keeper Family name.

~Keeper Families NOT Represented In-Game~

The following list of Keeper Family names appear in the Character Creation Name Generator, but are not represented by any NPC found in the open-world. However, some of these families are represented by Quest NPCs. These are indicated by double asterisks.
  • Amariyo
  • Anbolho
  • Awandah
  • Bajhiri**
  • Betwanhe
  • Binbotaj
  • Burwani
  • Chalahko
  • Chelewae
  • Dakwhil
  • Dolabnha
  • Elakha
  • Entialpoh
  • Fashonti
  • Ganajai
  • Garanjy
  • Jakkya**
  • Jawantal**
  • Jomalah
  • Kaatapoh
  • Lanbatal
  • Lihzeh
  • Mhakaracca**
  • Moshantu
  • Mujuuk**
  • Nbolo
  • Panipahr**
  • Polaali
  • Quowaital
  • Rabntah
  • Relenah
  • Wahcondalo
  • Wilzuun
  • Wolndara
  • Zhwan**
**Khloe Bahjiri is a reporter for the Raven and appears in the Shantotto Quest, "Burgeoning Dread."
**Kipih Jakkya is a reporter for the Raven and appears in the Lightning Quests.
**Nhago Jawantal appears in the Lv.45 Leatherworking Quest "Dissension in the Ranks."
**Nheu Jawantal appeared in an echo during the 1.0 Limsa Storyline Quest "Treasures of the Main." 15 years later in ARR, her desk in the Coral Tower is empty, despite XIVDB.com registering her as still there.
**Nashu Mhakaracca appears as part of the Inspector Hildibrand Quests, but does not appear in open world once you finish them. Don't want people thinking I forgot her.
**Pawah Mujuuk the Ghost, and her family appear in the Archer Class Quests.
**Yohah Panipahr is an NPC that appears at Bentbranch according to XIVDB.com, however, she does not appear at this location in game. Perhaps she is part of a quest? Unknown.
**Rhesh Polaali appears in the 2.4 MSQ.
**Una Tayuun is a Scion who first appears in the 1.0 Storyline Quest "Together We Stand." She survives the Calamity only to be slaughtered during the ARR Storyline Quest "All Good Things."
**The Zhwan Family (Sahja, Khuja, and Pahja Zhwan) was prominent in 1.0 but have all gone missing since the Calamity. If I'm not mistaken the only Zhwan to appear in 2.0, appears as a F.A.T.E. NPC somewhere.
**Nhaza'a Jaab the Ebon Claw appears in the beast tribe quest "Friends Forever."

~Conclusions & Comparisons~

There are not very many Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te represented in the game. Only 40 Keepers of the Moon exist in the open world. Compare at the 222 Seekers of the Sun. More Seekers of the Sun inhabit the city of Gridania than Keepers. Of the 50 total Keeper Families, only 15 are represented in game across Eorzea. As far as distribution goes, I thought it was interesting that 1/5 of Keeper Miqo'te represented in-game hail from Ul'dah of all places.

~Summary~

Hope you all found this helpful! Seems like Keepers are about as hard to find as lore about them is. =x

For those wishing to roleplay as a Keeper, below is a complete list of all 50 canon Keeper Families.
Show Content

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Knight Kat - 05-30-2014

Well it seems there isn't much to be found on Keepers really, but you did a great job finding what you did. You even found that -one- Keeper NPC in Coerthas.

This does not tell us too much, but I see the potential to use this if someone wanted to decide where their Keeper could be born. Though, I would argue that it is valid to have your Keeper born almost anywhere you want with a simple back-story to explain it.

At least this tells us one thing for sure: the devs give us little more than crap when it comes to Keeper lore. I hope they release more in the future.

They need to give Duskwights more stuff too. No joke.

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Sounsyy - 05-30-2014

Another thing I found quite interesting, was that the majority of Keeper Miqo'te found outside of the Shroud, were adventurers. By majority, I mean almost exclusively adventurers. Meanwhile, the majority of Keepers found inside of the Shroud, held what might be considered (possibly) lower status occupations such as barmaids or chocobo dung shovelers. I only found a few Keeper Wood Wailers and God's Quiverwomen, which were all named Keepers.

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Crisiet - 05-30-2014

(05-30-2014, 08:07 AM)Knight Kat Wrote: At least this tells us one thing for sure: the devs give us little more than crap when it comes to Keeper lore. I hope they release more in the future.

They need to give Duskwights more stuff too. No joke.

Been thinking this since I started playing. 

I really want more lore for both Keepers and Duskwight. They fascinate me.

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - TheLastCandle - 05-30-2014

BURRRRWANNNIIIIII. *raises fist*

At any rate, interesting findings for certain. I suspected there were more Seekers out in the world (and as a side note it may just be me, but I tend to see more Seeker roleplayers than Keepers as well) but never thought to go out and survey the land to see just how lopsided it was. Thanks much for doing this.

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - TheBlob - 05-30-2014

Khloe Bajhiri, an NPC female Keeper in Gridania, is a reporter for the Raven and has been used for the quest "Burgeoning the Dead" (Shantotto doll FATE line).

In case you wanted to add that to your NPC list. Smile

I thought she was used in the other "reporter" quests like Lightening and Hildabrand, but honestly I didn't pay that much attention to them.

(05-30-2014, 11:47 AM)ShayRei Wrote: Khloe Bajhiri, an NPC female Keeper in Gridania, is a reporter for the Raven and has been used for the quest "Burgeoning the Dead" (Shantotto doll FATE line).

Thanks ShayRei! ^^ I added Khloe to my list of "Not-Appearing-In-Open-World-But-Still-In-Game-Keepers." And because you got me curious, I went and looked for all the named Keepers that appear in cutscenes and added them to the list as well.

(05-30-2014, 11:47 AM)ShayRei Wrote: I thought she was used in the other "reporter" quests like Lightening and Hildabrand, but honestly I didn't pay that much attention to them.

The other reporter for the Raven is another Keeper named Kipih Jakkya. She appears in the Lightning Questline and has been added to the list under Khloe. Big thanks for the heads up! And the reporter in the Hildibrand Quests is a hyur named Ellie.

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Jana - 05-30-2014

I don't have a picture in front of me, but I'm 99% sure Kipih Jakkya is a Seeker with a Keeper name. Anyone who's done the Lightning quests can check the cutscenes in the inn to be sure, or Ill do it myself if no one has in the next thirty minutes or so.

As an aside, while looking for a good picture, I found out that some of these reporter NPCs were actually GM characters in 1.0!

Edit: Here we go, got a quick screenshot.

[Image: 6vdYGrN.jpg]

(05-30-2014, 03:56 PM)Jana Wrote: I'm 99% sure Kipih Jakkya is a Seeker with a Keeper name.

Interesting... darn SE being all confusing with their miqo'te again. /sigh.

(05-30-2014, 03:56 PM)Jana Wrote: As an aside, while looking for a good picture, I found out that some of these reporter NPCs were actually GM characters in 1.0!

Mhm! I met a GM version of Havak Alvak, Senior Editor for the Mythril Eye way back in 1.0. Oh! And I met GM Urianger too. He spouted a bunch of poetic nonsense about the end of the world and then sicked a ton of hippocerfs on me. x_x; Not very nice. I still don't trust him.

[Image: vAXpPs0.jpg]

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Kage - 09-11-2014

Old question but is it possible that she is mixed?

Also:
Go do the extra quests for having all the beast tribes! I hear there's something that will add to your census ;p

RE: [Case Study] Keep Your Keepers Close - Sounsyy - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 12:14 PM)Kage Wrote: Old question but is it possible that she is mixed?

Also:
Go do the extra quests for having all the beast tribes! I hear there's something that will add to your census ;p

Yes, it is possible. According to this Dev post by Fernehalwes, the reason why F'lhaminn is an oddball is because she is mix of Keeper and Seeker miqo'te. It is possible this is true for the other clan-confused miqo'te as well.

Oh! Excitement! I just got home! Today is the day I finish the Ixali so I will report back once I've finished all the beast tribe extras! (cuz heck yes that's what's gonna be my focus tonight!)

EDIT: OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG