Hydaelyn Role-Players
Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV (/showthread.php?tid=7747)

Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Argent Wren - 07-22-2014

Hey everyone!

I'm a long-time roleplayer who spent a couple years on NWN & MUSHs (if people even remember either of those), but it's been 2-3 years now and I'm new to roleplaying on MMOs and new to FFXIV in general. What I've seen of this community, though, looks really exciting and since my work has started easing up on me I decided it's a good time to get involved.

I think I've spent the last couple days trying to figure out how the game works and what the general lore is (my DnD knowledge isn't helping me much here). I've started to get a handle on it, but there's a lot, so it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm in the medium-heavy range on roleplay, but really looking to join the community in any way possible and turn my time here into as much of a social experience as it is a gaming one. I managed to get a character made on Balmung, after a late night session. I'm not entirely certain how linkshells vs Free Companies work yet, or where the best places to meet people are, but if anyone has suggestions on how to get involved and where to go I'd appreciate the pointers.

Since I'm following the template, I'm currently a physician in training, specializing in critical care medicine. Prior to that, I worked as a biomedical engineer. For hobbies, I host a writing group for aspiring authors when I'm not working, roleplaying, or sleeping.

I'll try for a wiki page soon, but for my character:
Elsa van Mere is a Garlean Miqo'te who is the bastard daughter of well-off Garlean father & a prostitute mother. She grew up as a member of some Garlean thieving clans, where she wasn't treated well but she was kept around for her small size and unnatural "luck" (a talent for magic, though since she & most of her group only had familiarity with magitek, she has had no understanding or control of it). Eventually, the thieves were caught and Elsa was given the option of conscription to the army or execution; she chose the former, but deserted upon arrival in Ala Mhigo, where she hid out on the streets until after the fall of Dalamud. She's since learned more about what her "luck" is and snuck upon a ship to Limsa Lominsa, hoping to discover more at the Arcanist's Guild.

Elsa's naturally a bit distrusting and usually a bit blunt, with a focus on doing what she needs to to survive. Because of this, she prizes freedom and loyalty above everything else, but can be awkward around others. She's still naive regarding Eorzea, and not sure how to deal with her new freedom; having grown up in Garlemald, the new interaction with beast tribes and her magic is something she's still wary of.

If any of the above doesn't make sense with-in the lore, please let me know! And feel free to shoot me a tell in game (Elsa Vanmere); hope to get to meet many of you soon!

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Faye - 07-22-2014

Hello there, Elsa! Welcome to Balmung and the RPC! It's good to have you here!

Linkshells are private chat channels, and you can have up to eight of them. Free companies are your like typical guild in most games--you can join only one at a time, you earn points for your FC to purchase company-wide buffs, you have company housing, etc. As for the best place to meet other role-players, the Adventurer's Guild in each major city is usually a hotspot, especially in Ul'dah, and you can watch the calender here for specific RP events.

Elsa sounds interesting; I have a couple Garlean characters of my own she might bump into sometime! I'm always glad to chat or role-play, so feel free to approach or send a /tell if you see me around in game. Smile

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Jancis - 07-23-2014

NWN! Quite a few people here have played on that game and the fun worlds players made with that game. Smile

I use to play a few years in particular on one role play server that was LotR style called RoME. 

Also I can't believe the term MUSH. I played on a MOO for a short while based on Pern and I played years on a MUD named Achaea.

So nice to have fun and motivated people joining!

There's a Role play Handbook sticky that has a lot of useful information.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770

I also know some other people play folk that escaped and Limsa has a good local community! Might bump into each other in character!

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - LiveVoltage - 07-23-2014

Elsa IS an interesting character, but I don't think she would get along with my character.   ._.

Other than that, the adventurers guild's are common tavern meet places and always good to start an RP or two. You could also join an FC that is centered around RP but most have pretty high standards and ridiculous recruitment guidelines and standards. A few even bar Miqo'te from joining, mainly because they are the largest populated race on almost every server.

Still, welcome to the RPC!  ^_^

Also, you may want to make a character wiki, that way you can update and keep track of everything about you're character and who she interacts with as well as other things.

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Aya - 07-23-2014

Welcome, welcome! Smile

There are some out there who may come out swinging against any Garlean they encounter, just so you know to be discrete! Smile

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - LiadansWhisper - 07-23-2014

Welcome!  I'm another former NWN'er.  Nice to see more of us here! Smile

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Surilian - 07-23-2014

Welcome to Balmung and the game! The community is pretty friendly! And everyone said pretty much what I would suggest as well. If you see Suri or Liana wandering around Limsa or Gridania and want character development I'm sure my characters would love to say hello! (and yea some people would just love to instant slaughter a garlean character...Watch your head!)

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Kage - 07-23-2014

Welcome to RPC and Eorzea!

If you have questions about the game, feel free to ask and whatnot.

I'm a little, teeny bit curious though.

I'm guessing from the fact that she can use aether that Elsa is not a full blooded Garlean but comes from some line of people who have been conquered by Garlemald?

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - LiveVoltage - 07-23-2014

(07-23-2014, 02:12 PM)ExKage Wrote: Welcome to RPC and Eorzea!

If you have questions about the game, feel free to ask and whatnot.

I'm a little, teeny bit curious though.

I'm guessing from the fact that she can use aether that Elsa is not a full blooded Garlean but comes from some line of people who have been conquered by Garlemald?
Probably but all we know about the lore concerning the Garleans conquest is that the conquered and destroyed the doman's homeland and they invaded and destroyed the Ala'mighans, or however you say there name. (doesnt have time to look at there name) Other than that, it just says the conquered stuff.   :I

RE: Old Roleplayer New to FFXIV - Argent Wren - 07-23-2014

Thank you for both the welcome and the assistance, everyone! I'll definitely try to catch some of you in-game ICly, if I can. I've started to learn where everything is now, at least in the major cities; really enjoying the game so far.

Started a wiki page for Elsa too, though not much information on it.

ExKage Wrote:I'm guessing from the fact that she can use aether that Elsa is not a full blooded Garlean but comes from some line of people who have been conquered by Garlemald?

I took a small liberty and made the assumption that, in the 1550s, the Garleans would have sent out at least small scouting vessels prior to invading Ala Mhigo. Elsa's mother was a captured Miqo'te turned prostitute who was taken back to the Empire proper then discarded to the street when she had a child. Elsa isn't really aware of that history, though.