Hydaelyn Role-Players
I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) (/showthread.php?tid=7784)

Pages: 1 2 3

I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Kellach Woods - 07-27-2014

So yeah first endgame dungeon = first time I don't get commendations.

Which led me to the realization that I am bad at my job and that the dungeon runs prior to this were essentially tuned to be mad easy that everyone could do them and feel validated (at least after salty evaluation of my performance this is my conclusion. Likely still feel bitter about that run bleh.)

Not the case for the 50 dungeons apparently.

Obviously I'm not at the level where optimizing the rotation will yield a significant result over what I'm currently doing. However, WAR's supposed to be the easiest job to AoE tank with and yet I'm having a ton of problems doing that. Once I lose threat, I have a hell of a time regaining it.

Worse still, I died to trash. Equipment wasn't broken or anything. Just straight up died to trash.

I might also need to customize my UI so I have an easier time of it.

Anyway, tips for WAR tanking would be very appreciated here. I'm not at the end of my rope, I still enjoy the class very much but I want to Not Suck.

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Warren Castille - 07-27-2014

Welcome to the level cap. Shooting from the hip is no longer recommended to succeed. Videos and guides are your new best friend, and research is tantamount to survival.

Your no longer level or gear capped, either, so if you're not at the level of your new DPS companions you're going to feel it immediately. Meeting the ilvl requirement is a world of difference from overgearing and you'll be aware of that once you get familiar with the runs.

I'm not a WAR so I can't help you with the specifics of your class, and I don't know what your gear looks like, but I CAN tell you that your weapon is vital. Damage is king when it comes to threat generation and Overpower spam will see much better returns once you're swinging something with some real heft on it.

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-27-2014

There's a really high chance that your DPS and Healer were probably much, much, much better geared, and it can make all the difference. 

I'd let them know at the start of dungeons that they'll most likely overgear you, and not to overdue it if they can try. (Maybe throw in a "it'll let you spirit bond or something" joke)

If you have some friends around the same area of progression, that might help out too. Endgame is scary because it's the first time gear will make a big difference. Unless agreed upon elsewhere, roll need for all the fending items in sight. 

Best of luck! If you ever see me in game and need some help, feel free to send a tell my way. Smile

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - U'roh Tia - 07-27-2014

Yeah sounds like you're running into some over geared teammates. 

So at level fifty one of my favored tricks to do is to Infuriate, then tomahawk the mobs and then steel cyclone the group. Then throw a over power in, in most cases this is sufficient to hold hate for the fight. Build those wrath stacks asap, then steel cyclone, it does increased threat and the defiance damage debuff doesn't apply to it!

I dunno how prominent this is with other warriors but I do like to cross class flash, it gives me another option to hold hate in those cases where we run out of TP. Awareness from Gladiator is another good options for cross classing.

Hope this helps!

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - ArmachiA - 07-27-2014

Big question: Do you have Provoke?

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Kellach Woods - 07-27-2014

(07-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm not a WAR so I can't help you with the specifics of your class, and I don't know what your gear looks like, but I CAN tell you that your weapon is vital. Damage is king when it comes to threat generation and Overpower spam will see much better returns once you're swinging something with some real heft on it.

Yeah, I only have an i55 in hand. There's other stuff I need to find out about the class.

(07-27-2014, 08:11 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Big question: Do you have Provoke?

Answer : I need to make 7 levels of GLA fast.

I do run Flash. It's MP instead of TP, maintains a group fairly well (it won't pull them) and doesn't drop Combo.

I also might need to redo my UI. A lot of it isn't intuitive and I'm getting at that point where there's clutter that I really don't need.

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Kage - 07-27-2014

You're definitely being overgeared. Almost everyone has their relic or the relic zenith. With ST they may even have the weathered i100 weapon too.

I once had to run with a PLD with almost the same issue. I could not at all do my dps like I am used to because while he had the ilvl (i70, i90 mix) he only had the i55 weapon in Hullbreaker. Every, single, mob even just ST would be ripped off. We had quite a few wipes too because our SCH didn't have the right book on them >.>; We did one group of mobs at all time and would still have issues. That's just the name of the game when you're thrust in where some people rush those endgame dungeons.

I'd suggest getting provoke and working your gear so you can get your relic ASAP.

(07-27-2014, 08:57 PM)ExKage Wrote: You're definitely being overgeared. Almost everyone has their relic or the relic zenith. With ST they may even have the weathered i100 weapon too.

I once had to run with a PLD with almost the same issue. I could not at all do my dps like I am used to because while he had the ilvl (i70, i90 mix) he only had the i55 weapon in Hullbreaker. Every, single, mob even just ST would be ripped off. We had quite a few wipes too because our SCH didn't have the right book on them >.>; We did one group of mobs at all time and would still have issues. That's just the name of the game when you're thrust in where some people rush those endgame dungeons.

I'd suggest getting provoke and working your gear so you can get your relic ASAP.
I guess that I queued for stuff geared for my level and they roulette'd then.

Time to get some Battledances 3.

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Kage - 07-27-2014

Yeah you're definitely with people who went on roulettes or for their books for animus etc. You absolutely want to get your relic zenith over i90 gear with your myth because you need that dmg for to at least do decent holding on aggro.

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Warren Castille - 07-27-2014

That's the trap. You need myth to gear up but you need to do dungeons to get myth but you're "undergeared" so you can't reliably do dungeons, so you have to...

It sucks at first. I'd ask LS or FC or friends to help you punch out your relic and then just put your shoulder down and plow.

...I think this is the part where I go "I'm not in any FC or LS"

<.<

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - TheBlob - 07-27-2014

Good luck gearing up. If you need help with your relic I enjoy the battles and would be happy to join up with you for them. 

Nothing's that hard until you push into that later end game bit. Just need the gear and practice to get through things. 

And please don't judge your worth by a lack of commendations. Smile

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Gar - 07-27-2014

A lot of things have already been covered, but wanted to throw in my 2 gil. Opening up with Steel Cyclone and a few Overpowers gets a good start. Try to have your party list somewhere easily seen, so you can quickly gauge each target's aggro tables. Already been covered, but Provoke is a must-have for any 50 content.

Having people to run with really is a good way to get practice in without burning out in the awful PUG community. Take it or leave it, I won't be offended, but you're more than welcome to join XI:7's OOC LS. We have a lot of people who enjoy helping people out and running whatever content.

Tanking in this game is awesome. Once you get everything down and get into the feel o fit, it engages you more than a lot of other games have done (for me, anyway)

Let me know if you'd like an invite. If not, best of luck to ya as you learn.

RE: I r bad at taking hits to the face (WAR) - Aerghwab - 07-27-2014

I think the biggest thing is communication. Not everyone looks at your gear at the beginning of the dungeon, so just throwing out a "hey, fresh 50 here. Go easy on me, har har" can work wonders. Your DPS guys see the same threat indicator you do, and I'd venture to say most will keep an eye on it if you say something beforehand. Some won't, and they might rip a mob or two off of you, but if you get your hands on Provoke, that'll help a ton. 

With Philosophy Tomestones no longer being a thing, gearing up can be a bit of a pain for reasons Warren stated: the ol' Myth trap. Luckily, many of the endgame dungeons drop gear ranging from i55-i80, which can help, and they all give you Mythology stones, which no longer have a weekly limit!

And hey, feel free to drop me a line in game. Not having an LS or an FC to fall back on and ask for help can make the entire gearing experience a PITA. I'd be glad to run some of the dungeons with ya or queue as your co-tank for the HM primals if you decide to go for the relic.

(07-27-2014, 09:49 PM)Aerghwab Wrote: I think the biggest thing is communication. Not everyone looks at your gear at the beginning of the dungeon, so just throwing out a "hey, fresh 50 here. Go easy on me, har har" can work wonders. Your DPS guys see the same threat indicator you do, and I'd venture to say most will keep an eye on it if you say something beforehand. Some won't, and they might rip a mob or two off of you, but if you get your hands on Provoke, that'll help a ton.
I don't know, with the gear I have (the job gear), maybe they're thinking "This person must CLEARLY love the job gear to glamour it over their i70 stuff!" I dunno I just find it unlikely with the particular gear I'm rocking.

That being said, yeah. I will keep that in mind.