Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Sultansworn RP Guide - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Sultansworn RP Guide (/showthread.php?tid=8358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

The Sultansworn RP Guide - Erik Mynhier - 09-20-2014

[Image: FFXIV%2BPaladin%2BSoul%2BCrystal.png]

Hello, as many of you know, I am Erik Mynhier, one of the Sultansworn on Balmung. I and several other Sworn have been approached about roleplaying as a Sworn, either with those of us who have been Sworn since launch, or just by themselves. Some of us got together and had a talk about this. Trying to come up with someway of helping these new players without telling people what to do. The Sultansworn role is a tricky one, especially if it is your first RP. There is the line one walks when playing authority, a truck-load of lore, and haters. We who have been doing this the longest have a responsibility to help I feel. A few things before I write on, this IS NOT A SET OF RULES. It is simply a set of guidelines gathered from Sworn RPers. You can read this, decide you hate it all and never follow it and you won't hurt my feelings. We all pay our $15 a month, you can do as you like, think of this as advice. Two, if you are a Sworn RPer, but never mix with me, Crofte, or any other active Sworn, great, you don't have to. I would ask though that you add your advice here. As stated this is not a set of rules for Sworn on Balmung, its just a helpful guide for people new to the idea.

1. Sworn do not have to be locked in the Chamber of Rule.
By the Lore, Sultansworn are the Guardians of the Ruler of Thanalan. In game events do show however that the Sworn (in the case spoken of, a group lead by the Grandmaster) have and do leave the Chamber. It is assumed by some of us, if not all, that the Sworn seem to resemble modern security details such as the USA's Secret Service. It is assumed that instead of simply guarding the Sultana, that the mission may be broader, Sultansworn guard the Queen, and investigate all threats to the Crown, as well as crimes involving the Sultanate, like theft of jewels. Of course how far you wish to reach depends on your tastes, and the willingness of those you RP with,

2. We are all Knights of the Round.
The legend of King Arthur states that he made a Round Table so all could be equal. This was debated extensively, many thoughts on this. But it came to be agreed that due to the nature of authority-RP, and how people bleed through to their characters, it is important that all Sworn be considered equal. From what Lore states, what little it says, there seems to be four ranks mentioned in the Sworn. The first is the Grandmaster, met in a quest, this little Lala (I don't say his name for spoiler sake) is the Boss of the Bosses. Next we have the Captain of the Sworn, Jenlyns. He is the primary Sworn NPC as you master the quest. Since these two ranks are played by NPCs, its safe to assume players cannot and should not try to play these ranks. Bad idea guys, don't do it. The next two ranks are more open, the Sultansworn Elite are the NPCs shown in the AF armor. This is the primary role taken by Roleplayers, it is assumed that these are sort of the senior-grunt class of the Order. Following behind are the ordinary Sworn, the ones that wear the tabards. Most... but not all, seem to IC these as young or even trainee Sworn. These last two roles are the common roles taken, Elite and Trainee. This allows for growth, as the trainee can often hook with an Elite to be trained on their path to their potential, also being in a teacher/student dynamic can be fun. What is important is that Elite respects Elite, Elite respects Trainee, and so on. We are all real people and deserve to be respected. This is hardest with teacher and student. One must maintain respect.

3. So wait... you're a Sworn... and a Flame?
Guard duty is boring....... so boring. Roleplayers love to have fun, but that can be hard when your character's careers is to follow a Lala about and maybe chase a jewel thief. Sworn are after all not the police (Brass Blades), or even the army (Immortal Flames). They are the palace guard primarily. So here is where many Sworn RPers bend the Lore a bit. Many declare a side mission, a special task or duty assigned to them by superiors. This often gives an IC reason to leave the palace where none would have been. An example would be Erik, an Immortal Flame, Erik became a Sworn days after the Calamity. So he has only been a Sworn for 6 years. As such he is much more a soldier then a knight, though his upbringing may fool you. So what did I do? IC I kept Erik a Flame also. His appointment to the Sworn was agreed upon by both agencies so that he could act on the side as liaison to both organization. Now I have an established story that allows me freedom to RP as a Sworn... or a Flame.... or both. All it takes is a big imagination to find a way to justify a way to do things. As long as its not to crazy (one I heard once was he was a Sworn, but also the secret brother to the Sultana o_O ), most people will accept it.

4. The Trials
Some of you may remember that Natalie Mcbeef started Sworn Trials a while back and they were very popular. Well with so many asking, some of us will be setting up trials for anyone who wants them. Now not taking them means nothing. We won't not RP with you if you don't do them, "Oh he won't do our trials, well he's no sworn then...) No, no, no, no, no. These are for fun only. Just good old RP fun. They are not required to RP as a Sworn. You know why? Because we are not the boss of you. Like this guideline, this is just offered as a fun thing for new players, if they so choose to try them.

5. Be Excellent To Each Other
The number one rule in the RPC, is the only rule I wish I could enforce. We are all great folks, you are, I am, they are too. Everyone's cool here, so be cool back. This type of RP can stress you, and the power it grants can stress others. Try to remember that behind that avi, is another person. Don't get that armor and start picking on people, don't let them pick on you. Just be cool, and party on.

Well that's it. If you are or were a Sworn in the past, and would like to add some advice, by all means do so, help these new players out. This is a big sandwich of an RP to bite into, they need some pointers. If you would like help in starting a Sworn RP or character, feel free to contact here or in game any of the very visible Sultansworn that walk these mean streets looking nice in our armor. For names there are several who have agreed to help new Sworn players should they feel they need help, Nyalie Lihzeh, Anelia Sadowyn, Coatleque Crofte, or myself, Erik Mynhier. Good luck.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Aldotsk - 09-20-2014

Impressive that you had Post 666 after you made this thread :p

Anyways, we want to recruit more Sultansworns and give some opportunity for new players and new members to enjoy playing this role. It may seem difficult, but once you are adapted and communicate with us to match your character's role, I am sure it'll work out!

Don't hesitate to contact me, Erik, Coatleque or Nyalie at any time Smile

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Kellach Woods - 09-20-2014

Might want to say that you can have other occupations than being Sultansworn. I mean, that little lala didn't look like any sultansworn when I first met him! Tongue

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - CrookedTarot - 09-20-2014

This is more a question for my own character (and possibly others that may have contemplated the same thing).

Are Sultansworn, as a group, so large as to be difficult to keep track of names and faces? Say for instance you have an imposter amongst the Sultansworn--would they be easy to pick even if they had the bearing, mannerism and knowledge of a Sworn?

Also, kinda amused that that there is a guide like this for Sultansworn but I see nothing for any of the other elite guards or groups in the other city-states! XD

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Coatleque - 09-20-2014

There are most likely only about 160 active Sultansworn in the city. Most of them will probably be stationed in or around the Palace, in the training yard, or barracks. I would imagine they probably cover guard rotations in three shifts.

You would probably be able to recognize the faces of the regulars as they stand at their posts quite often. Or in the case of PC's, because of the roles they fulfill.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Erik Mynhier - 09-20-2014

(09-20-2014, 01:23 PM)CrookedTarot Wrote: This is more a question for my own character (and possibly others that may have contemplated the same thing).

Are Sultansworn, as a group, so large as to be difficult to keep track of names and faces? Say for instance you have an imposter amongst the Sultansworn--would they be easy to pick even if they had the bearing, mannerism and knowledge of a Sworn?

Also, kinda amused that that there is a guide like this for Sultansworn but I see nothing for any of the other elite guards or groups in the other city-states! XD

I served irl in a unit once 100 strong, and I knew like five people. It is completely reasonable that someone could slip in. If this is a question for a future RP idea, I like where its going. Hit me up.

(09-20-2014, 12:46 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Might want to say that you can have other occupations than being Sultansworn. I mean, that little lala didn't look like any sultansworn when I first met him! Tongue

I assume you mean the Grandmaster? It's not that he had another occupation, but was working under cover which you find out later in the quest.

I've assumed this same stance whenever Coatleque has to leave Thanalan on Sworn business. She does not wear her armor in Limsa Lominsa, for example.

----------

Something else people ask about is 'down time'. What does a Sultansworn do when they are off-duty? Anything they want, really. They are still people - this is just their day job. Just keep in mind that not being 'at work' does not mean they stop being a Paladin.

Coatleque often says she is 'always on duty' (thanks Inspector Gadget). She may not be guarding the palace for 16 hours of the day, but she is still actively monitoring the Sultana's welfare.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - CrookedTarot - 09-20-2014

(09-20-2014, 01:37 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: [quote pid=109941 dateline=1411233816]
I served irl in a unit once 100 strong, and I knew like five people. It is completely reasonable that someone could slip in. If this is a question for a future RP idea, I like where its going. Hit me up.

[/quote]

Excellent information to have on hand! I suppose I wasn't to sure about just how big the Sultansworn were in terms of numbers--I know the secret service is large but I had figured no more than say, 50 or so.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Erik Mynhier - 09-20-2014

(09-20-2014, 12:46 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Might want to say that you can have other occupations than being Sultansworn. I mean, that little lala didn't look like any sultansworn when I first met him! Tongue

(09-20-2014, 03:32 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: 3. So wait... you're a Sworn... and a Flame?
Guard duty is boring....... so boring. Roleplayers love to have fun, but that can be hard when your character's careers is to follow a Lala about and maybe chase a jewel thief. Sworn are after all not the police (Brass Blades), or even the army (Immortal Flames). They are the palace guard primarily. So here is where many Sworn RPers bend the Lore a bit. Many declare a side mission, a special task or duty assigned to them by superiors. This often gives an IC reason to leave the palace where none would have been. An example would be Erik, an Immortal Flame, Erik became a Sworn days after the Calamity. So he has only been a Sworn for 6 years. As such he is much more a soldier then a knight, though his upbringing may fool you. So what did I do? IC I kept Erik a Flame also. His appointment to the Sworn was agreed upon by both agencies so that he could act on the side as liaison to both organization. Now I have an established story that allows me freedom to RP as a Sworn... or a Flame.... or both. All it takes is a big imagination to find a way to justify a way to do things. As long as its not to crazy (one I heard once was he was a Sworn, but also the secret brother to the Sultana o_O ), most people will accept it.

As for down time, Erik jogs while I write to people, and he plays with his younger daughter.

(09-20-2014, 01:51 PM)CrookedTarot Wrote: Excellent information to have on hand! I suppose I wasn't to sure about just how big the Sultansworn were in terms of numbers--I know the secret service is large but I had figured no more than say, 50 or so.

Only few were limited by lore wise. Some pass the trials and some don't. Few people who don't pass would either become a free paladin or back to the first training. Some also join Brass Blades or Immortal Flame should they don't pass the trials.

In cases for Erik, he fits for I.F. Captain while being a Sworn as a side career if he's called for Sultana's assistance. Either position he is in, he literally can be called for Sultana's assistance - but as a Sworn, he'd be involved in their affairs at any terms.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - Edgar - 09-20-2014

(09-20-2014, 03:32 AM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: 1. Sworn do not have to be locked in the Chamber of Rule.
By the Lore, Sultansworn are the Guardians of the Ruler of Thanalan. In game events do show however that the Sworn (in the case spoken of, a group lead by the Grandmaster) have and do leave the Chamber. It is assumed by some of us, if not all, that the Sworn seem to resemble modern security details such as the USA's Secret Service. It is assumed that instead of simply guarding the Sultana, that the mission may be broader, Sultansworn guard the Queen, and investigate all threats to the Crown, as well as crimes involving the Sultanate, like theft of jewels. Of course how far you wish to reach depends on your tastes, and the willingness of those you RP with,

THANK YOU.

MY GOD.

I don't know how many people have told me that I should be in the Chamber of Rule when playing Koporo. Be it good intentions or trolling, it is annoying as fuck to constantly receive pms telling me how to roleplay Sworn. And half of them come from new players. I'm not joking; a guy with a fucking "new player leaf" next to his username tried to tell me how Sultansworn are supposed to be roleplayed. I nearly fucking quit.

(09-20-2014, 03:09 PM)Edgar Wrote: a guy with a fucking "new player leaf" next to his username tried to tell me how Sultansworn are supposed to be roleplayed. I nearly fucking quit.

That's someone's alt, and I can tell you that it's probably mod redacted or mod redacted. They had been harassing other than just Sultansworn RPers, trying to correct other lores.

But let's not get to that discussion here anyways Smile

Mod note by FreelanceWizard: Redacted names. No calling out individuals on the forums, please.

RE: The Sultansworn RP Guide - OttoVann - 09-20-2014

(Can they erp? Important questions need important answers. I can't very well moonlight as one if I have to be chaste)

(09-20-2014, 04:17 PM)OttoVann Wrote: (Can they erp? Important questions need important answers. I can't very well moonlight as one if I have to be chaste)

Paladins need not be chaste.

(09-20-2014, 04:17 PM)OttoVann Wrote: (Can they erp?  Important questions need important answers.  I can't very well moonlight as one if I have to be chaste)

ANELIA IS NOT FOR SALE! D:<

I said this already!