Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPing the story-line - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPing the story-line (/showthread.php?tid=8371)

RPing the story-line - fussybees - 09-21-2014

Hello everyone! Recently I had an idea and, egged on by a friend, I am now looking to put this idea into practice! Essentially what I would like to do is get a group of eight people together to play through the story line as though it were their story! Much like a David Eddings' book, this would be a quest for a ragtag bunch of people to save their world. What we would do is create all our characters and their backstories together and then play through, level up etc. at certain times we decided on! Please think of the possibilities for RP! Between quests - on our journey from Limsa Lominsa to Gridania we could set up camp! We could weave the FATES we pass into our narrative! I realise that I haven't given you too much detail on the nitty gritty, but at this point I would just be looking for five people who might be interested! I would of course explain further to those people about the exact details of this project. Thank you very much for reading and I hope to hear from some people interested soon!
Also; please note that we would only be looking for people over the age of 21. This has nothing to do with any content I assure you and once all the players are in place there will be further discussions about what individuals are and are not comfortable with! Big Grin

RE: RPing the story-line - Blue - 09-21-2014

Hello,

For obvious reasons of how the main scenario treats the individual adventurer as a single hero, the majority of the RP community prefers to shy away from RPing the actual story of the game (in poor words, "better to have no one be a special hero rather than having someone who can claim to be one, and thus putting him/herself at a higher level to the look of other roleplayers").

However, there are people who still would like to RP the game's story, and that is what our RP LS, Tales of Hydaelyn, was made for. We are a RP group who once a week (used to be twice a week, but now it's school/work time for a lot of us) has an RP session of the main scenario.

In order to respect the wishes of those who disagree with roleplaying the story, we RP any Main Scenario-related events in linkshell channel, rather than /say (out of sight, out of mind), and most importantly we do not RP as being the only characters who were/will be involved in the main scenario. To better explain this, our characters are convinced that somewhere else in Eorzea there are other people who received the Crystal Call, just like they did (In fact, in the cutscene that displays the Crystal Call, you do see other unknown adventurers flying around the Crystal with you). This is again a choice to not make our characters unique and special, and to give everyone the opportunity to claim to have done the same things we did IC.

Currently our group is on the lv19 Main Scenario missions, and we are about to face Ifrit. ICly we have just recently joined the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, so it's a very good moment to join. One could simply claim to be a member of the Scions sent by Minfilia to take part to the investigation.

We would love to have you. Please look at our section in the Linkshell Hall, and if you feel like learning more, you can read our rules on our own guildwork site.

We currently have seven members, some of which roleplay multiple characters. At least four of us have a 100% attendance to the RP sessions. Hope you give us a try! ^^

RE: RPing the story-line - fussybees - 09-21-2014

Yes, I understand where you are coming from. This team would be self-contained RPing - as such anything that happened within the group would stay within the group and not spill over into anyone else's RPing. It is for this reason that I plan to set it up on a quieter server than either of the two RP servers. Smile I understand completely that claiming to be the 'Special One' would be problematic when RPing with outside players, however I am hoping to keep our story to ourselves. It is for this reason that the time slots are a part of the plan - so that there is plenty of time for people who (like myself) have a character away from the group that they roleplay with. Furthermore, we are looking for only a specific number of people and I would not (nor my friends who have already signed up) wish to play with a number over 8 because IC dungeons are a very big part of what we have planned. Thank you for reading though. Big Grin

RE: RPing the story-line - Dartamian N'astal - 09-23-2014

I personally love the idea.  I wish I would have run into you before I restarted my current character.  I have a basic background story and have just played out the story of the game.
I am hoping to form an 8 man group by the time I get to a lot of the endgame content.  But I RP that every time I play.  I am at the point where... (spoilers)... The sicon of the seventh dawn have asked Dartamian to join them.  While he has done his fair share of adventuring, (side quest and job quest), he is not sure if he is ready to take on Primals.
((basically I am getting 50 and trying to form a small group for the main story quest and dungeons)).

So even if there is anything I can do to help, let me know.  Dartamian N'astal is my main and only character.  And the Light ov Eorzea or LovE is my crew.

RE: RPing the story-line - fussybees - 09-25-2014

I'm very sorry, but the group has been filled up!Big Grin

RE: RPing the story-line - Aldotsk - 09-25-2014

This seems rather fun. I would love to try this method too in the future privately. Best wishes to your team Smile!