Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs (/showthread.php?tid=8388)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 12:13 PM)Aya Wrote:
(09-23-2014, 12:11 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Marauders use plenty of axes. They're our basic axe-wielding class. Warrior adds on top of that. The "secrets" and "methods" they use channel their rage into a kind of berserk mode, which is what makes it "special".
See, that's the "really good" part I mentioned!

Only.. one village.. knows how.. to rage!  I think our forum itself has shown how silly that is over the past two weeks!  Warrior is far too generic to be limited to a single village, I'm sorry, I'm not buying it!

Oh, I fully agree. WAR is no more special than learning martial arts. And aside from the village where they all were pretty much destroying itself because they all went berserk, it isn't a restrictive job. Curious Gorge /wants/ to spread it from just being limited to his village. as such, I wouldn't find it strange that he is probably training many adventurers, and probably those adventurers are training other adventurers.

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Sophia_Grave - 09-23-2014

I've never seen the draw in RPing jobs. In this game, they're so ridiculously hyper specific, restrictive, and exclusionary that there's almost no point. Why be a dragoon if I have nothing to do with Ishgard or dragons? Why be a Paladin if I don't want to be what is essentially a secret serviceman? You can be a spear wielder or a heavy armored sword and board without tacking these rules onto your character. Its either that, or your main draw is the lore behind the jobs rather than the aesthetic, in which case I don't see the complaint.

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Kage - 09-23-2014

Granted I was fast tracking SCH but if you were lucky enough to find another fairy... you could learn the arts?

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Warren Castille - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 12:46 PM)Apl_Juice Wrote: I've never seen the draw in RPing jobs. In this game, they're so ridiculously hyper specific, restrictive, and exclusionary that there's almost no point. Why be a dragoon if I have nothing to do with Ishgard or dragons? Why be a Paladin if I don't want to be what is essentially a secret serviceman? You can be a spear wielder or a heavy armored sword and board without tacking these rules onto your character. Its either that, or your main draw is the lore behind the jobs rather than the aesthetic, in which case I don't see the complaint.

It's impossible to tell without doing the story, but not all Paladins are Sultansworn. Some of us just wanted to play do-gooder cop-types, and we're given an in by the lore for them. I've met plenty of random sword users, though.

(09-23-2014, 12:46 PM)Kage Wrote: Granted I was fast tracking SCH but if you were lucky enough to find another fairy... you could learn the arts?

Pretty much. Scholars are just Arcanists from Nym that focused on healing. They work with the faeries on it, to my understanding. 

The same could be said for Summoners. They're really just Arcanists that rather than make a carbuncle, are harnessing the power of a primal using some Allagan tricks.  
Show Content

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Berrod Armstrong - 09-23-2014

Monk -- The job I've chosen as main. Rare, scattered and almost lost, but being taught by enough of the remnants to be making a comeback. Berrod was trained by a remnant of the Fists at a young age, and has his soul crystal in his possession. He continues to make progress toward mastery.

Warrior -- The art of a village in the mountains that's slowly dying out, but witnessing a revival by curious hottie gorge. Berrod has been to see him, and was denied a soul crystal because he did not demonstrate the level headedness needed to control the beast within.

Paladin -- Something definitely very accessible, though there are different restrictions based on what KIND of Paladin you are.

Black Mage -- A very taboo art, accessible to anyone who wants to take the plunge and can get the nasty knowledge they need. 

Bard -- Very accessible, since the job seems to be undergoing a revival thanks to the efforts of the  Warrior of Light and the Bard NPC whose name escapes me. 

Summoner -- Accessible, since there are ancient Allagan ruins popping up like pimples, and it may be easy enough for exavationists to procure the soul crystals. With regard to the primal slaying requirement. Primals are a revolving door, so it's easy to arrange one's character to have had a run in with them -- hell, I've seen people play out SEEKING the primals out to get a chip of their power!

Scholar -- Looks like it's accessible as well, given that the Nymian ruins can be a place where the soul crystals and faeries can be found. It'd just take a bit of clever playing.

Dragoon -- Accessible, though mostly trained in Coerthas. It's very easy for a player to write their character being trained in the art either officially, or by someone who's risking pissing off a lot of people. The AZURE DRAGOON however, is unique. Dragonfire dive is said to have been unique to the Azure, but if people can make replicas of the armor then people can try to recreate the attack based on what the legends say. Even if it's not nearly as effective.

White Mages -- Ah, white mages. I can just smell the boiling blood with this one. You can either go in the NOPE, ONLY PADJAL AND THE WARRIOR OR LIGHT ACCORDING TO THE MSQ route, or the 'Okay so they trusted that guy with it, and as all the other jobs are seeing a revival, it stands to reason that a controlled revival has begun there too. Do as you like! If no one else will roleplay with you, I sure as hell will. It'd be wise to keep the white magery on the down low and controlled, of course. 

There you go! All nine jobs, playable as hell. Enjoy!

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Kage - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 12:52 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
Show Content
Actually what I remember is that they were pretty much like archaeologists who had made the stone find...

I love you Berrod.

In a platonic way.

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - ArmachiA - 09-23-2014

Honestly, the only source of contention is White Mage. You can even be a Dragoon pretty easily as long as you don't run around calling yourself The Slayer The Azure Dragoon.

Summoner looks difficult but it's actually easy enough to bypass, the HARDEST is actually fighting a Primal and not get tempered if your character doesn't have the Echo.

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Sophia_Grave - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 12:51 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-23-2014, 12:46 PM)Apl_Juice Wrote: I've never seen the draw in RPing jobs. In this game, they're so ridiculously hyper specific, restrictive, and exclusionary that there's almost no point. Why be a dragoon if I have nothing to do with Ishgard or dragons? Why be a Paladin if I don't want to be what is essentially a secret serviceman? You can be a spear wielder or a heavy armored sword and board without tacking these rules onto your character. Its either that, or your main draw is the lore behind the jobs rather than the aesthetic, in which case I don't see the complaint.

It's impossible to tell without doing the story, but not all Paladins are Sultansworn. Some of us just wanted to play do-gooder cop-types, and we're given an in by the lore for them. I've met plenty of random sword users, though.
I know they're not, I was condensing for the argument I was making xD

Summoner will be a point of contention just on account of Primals tempering the hell out of people. Even if we assume that they don't do it right away, it makes too much sense for a primal to realize it's losing a fight and try to enslave someone because 1) it beats dying and 2) thou art strong!

Depends on whether or not you want your character to be a Warrior of Light, though.

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Berrod Armstrong - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 12:56 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Honestly, the only source of contention is White Mage. You can even be a Dragoon pretty easily as long as you don't run around calling yourself The Slayer The Azure Dragoon.

Summoner looks difficult but it's actually easy enough to bypass, the HARDEST is actually fighting a Primal and not get tempered if your character doesn't have the Echo.
There's a specific process for tempering/drowning/touching/etc, so it's possible for a primal fight to be narrated without the 'tempering' occuring! For Titan-egi it's the easiest to avoid, he doesn't 'temper' at all! It's not so hard after all Big Grin.

(09-23-2014, 12:55 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: Monk -- The job I've chosen as main. Rare, scattered and almost lost, but being taught by enough of the remnants to be making a comeback. Berrod was trained by a remnant of the Fists at a young age, and has his soul crystal in his possession. He continues to make progress toward mastery.

Warrior -- The art of a village in the mountains that's slowly dying out, but witnessing a revival by curious hottie gorge. Berrod has been to see him, and was denied a soul crystal because he did not demonstrate the level headedness needed to control the beast within.

Paladin -- Something definitely very accessible, though there are different restrictions based on what KIND of Paladin you are.

Black Mage -- A very taboo art, accessible to anyone who wants to take the plunge and can get the nasty knowledge they need. 

Bard -- Very accessible, since the job seems to be undergoing a revival thanks to the efforts of the  Warrior of Light and the Bard NPC whose name escapes me. 

Summoner -- Accessible, since there are ancient Allagan ruins popping up like pimples, and it may be easy enough for exavationists to procure the soul crystals. With regard to the primal slaying requirement. Primals are a revolving door, so it's easy to arrange one's character to have had a run in with them -- hell, I've seen people play out SEEKING the primals out to get a chip of their power!

Scholar -- Looks like it's accessible as well, given that the Nymian ruins can be a place where the soul crystals and faeries can be found. It'd just take a bit of clever playing.

Dragoon -- Accessible, though mostly trained in Coerthas. It's very easy for a player to write their character being trained in the art either officially, or by someone who's risking pissing off a lot of people. The AZURE DRAGOON however, is unique. Dragonfire dive is said to have been unique to the Azure, but if people can make replicas of the armor then people can try to recreate the attack based on what the legends say. Even if it's not nearly as effective.

White Mages -- Ah, white mages. I can just smell the boiling blood with this one. You can either go in the NOPE, ONLY PADJAL AND THE WARRIOR OR LIGHT ACCORDING TO THE MSQ route, or the 'Okay so they trusted that guy with it, and as all the other jobs are seeing a revival, it stands to reason that a controlled revival has begun there too. Do as you like! If no one else will roleplay with you, I sure as hell will. It'd be wise to keep the white magery on the down low and controlled, of course. 

There you go! All nine jobs, playable as hell. Enjoy!

This is a perfect sum-up. I agree with it Smile

(09-23-2014, 12:59 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(09-23-2014, 12:56 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Honestly, the only source of contention is White Mage. You can even be a Dragoon pretty easily as long as you don't run around calling yourself The Slayer The Azure Dragoon.

There's a specific process for tempering/drowning/touching/etc, so it's possible for a primal fight to be narrated without the 'tempering' occuring! For Titan-egi it's the easiest to avoid, he doesn't 'temper' at all! It's not so hard after all Big Grin.

Out of all the primals, we've really only seen Ifrit and Leviathan temper. Titan just wants to smash his opposors, Garuda would rather kill them because they won't worship her by choice, Ramuh doesn't care, and King Mog already has his fluffy moogles, why would he want us?

(09-23-2014, 12:59 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:

But then you're stuck with Chicken Nuggets for an avatar. And the first thing Ifrit does is try to temper you when he's summoned! It's certainly possible, but don't expect the Faceless RP Public Strawman to accept it.

RE: "Lore-friendly" or not Jobs - Zyrusticae - 09-23-2014

(09-23-2014, 12:56 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Summoner looks difficult but it's actually easy enough to bypass, the HARDEST is actually fighting a Primal and not get tempered if your character doesn't have the Echo.
Trying to play an Echo-less summoner would be silly right from the get-go.

In fact, trying to play as anyone who canonically fought a primal without the Echo is silly. The game gives you the option for a reason, just go ahead and take it. You don't win any points just for refusing to be a Warrior of Light, you know?