Hydaelyn Role-Players
The power of Fantasia potions! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The power of Fantasia potions! (/showthread.php?tid=8393)

Pages: 1 2 3

The power of Fantasia potions! - Pumpkinweed - 09-23-2014

This is just a curious quirk I was thinking about. The Fantasia potion - is it considered lore appropriate and if it is, just what is it possible of doing other than what we already know?

I was thinking about it on a medicinal level. You can use magic to heal wounds, but fixing a broken bone or someone blind (extreme healing in general) would cost a lot of energy and concentration I'd imagine.

Here's the deal: what if Fantasia potions could fix these problems at the risk of it causing alterations?

Say one has a broken arm or is blind, like I said earlier; now you drink a fantasia...

The idea is one must remember themselves a certain way. That is apparently how the potion works... so if someone slept with the idea that they can see again or have a arm that isn't broken... does it mend?

It's just an idea but I love the fantasia concept in terms of role play because one can use glamours to throw people off. There are many forms of deception shown in the game... would fantasia also be considered one?

Opinions people! I'd love to hear them.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Cato - 09-24-2014

i think their awesome lol maybe i should have j'rakh go see an alchemist and turn into an elezen for wacky antics hahahehe xD

Edit: Note to self - don't post after drinking wine, J'rakh.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Pumpkinweed - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 12:10 AM)J Wrote: i think their awesome lol maybe i should have j'rakh go see an alchemist and turn into an elezen for wacky antics hahahehe xD

Gus sells pumpkin flavored potions on top of all his goods already! They taste better.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Kellach Woods - 09-24-2014

Many people have RPed it differently. I don't think any one interpretation is more wrong than the other.

However, I don't personally agree with the Fantasia being used in this way. It's usage seems purely cosmetic - it wouldn't heal a destroyed/cut off limb.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Cato - 09-24-2014

On a more serious and less intoxicated note I feel the same way as Kellach. Ultimately nobody can force other people to adhere to their own particular style of role-play but I generally don't consider the use of fantasia potions as something particularly thrilling. It just seems like a bit of a cheap cop out and the novelty would wear off fairly quickly.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Aya - 09-24-2014

I find that Fantasia potions greatly undermine immersion, and ignore them from an IC perspective.  If someone I know in-character, really wants to RP a race-change I just hope they come up with a better story for it than Fantasia Smile

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Roswyn - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 12:33 AM)Aya Wrote: I find that Fantasia potions greatly undermine immersion, and ignore them from an IC perspective.  If someone I know in-character, really wants to RP a race-change I just hope they come up with a better story for it than Fantasia Smile

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Titor - 09-24-2014

I had ICly had a fantasia accident for a few weeks. (ACCIDENT = accidentally turning into a femroe). 

The way I played it out was it worked similar to how glamours or tattoos work. It was just a biological glamour or genetic tattoo that did not change the underlying structure/medical conditions or what not of it, but just project something different overtop.

Interesting opinions! I personally feel fantasia wouldn't just up and be a fixer upper either. To Gus, it's theoretical when it comes to potions and even then he hasn't perfected the fantasia. That being said, is it just a glamour? Because if that is the case, then the male who became a female is still a male.

It's a bit of a controversial topic I suppose. I personally would rather role play a long healing period than being fixed and up and at it again. Gus mentioned in character about the possibility of fantasia mending broken bones when someone's arm was broken during a spar he was watching. The injured character chose not to take Gus's concoction for obvious reasons lol Laugh

Perhaps Square may release more lore on the potion. Until then, it's up in the air!

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Maril - 09-24-2014

I regard the Fantasia potion as an OOC player service - The fact that you can't even obtain it from anywhere in the game, but have to go onto a website and pay -real moneys- kind of speaks volumes. I also think justifying it kind of makes race change completely not a big deal which it really should be, there's so many ways beyond your random adventurer that a very drastic appearance change (such as a racechange) can be abused for, I mean you could infiltrate things and con people till the end of their days. That to me is something of such a big magnitude that, if the Fantasia did exist then surely we'd be hearing about it some more via NPC's and the likes. 

Also, I have seen the "My friends accidentally spiked my drink with this and now I am a (insert other race here) forever, very tragic" a bazillion times. No offense to those who went that way, but it just strikes me as a bit silly ._. 

So for what it is, I completely ignore the Fantasia icly. I'm with Aya on the notion that you want to do a race-change, find another loophole that is more interesting to jump through. Or reroll the character - you can namechange by transferring servers, it's expensive but you're already paying for the Fantasia, so.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Tiergan - 09-24-2014

For me, I think it depends on how it is pulled off. I've seen it done well and done poorly. I agree with others though in that it would be purely cosmetic and likely not actually repair anything. You'd just be a different race with the same injuries.

(09-24-2014, 04:57 AM)Tiergan Wrote: For me, I think it depends on how it is pulled off.  I've seen it done well and done poorly.  I agree with others though in that it would be purely cosmetic and likely not actually repair anything.  You'd just be a different race with the same injuries.

I agree with this. I know there were some parts in the game where a quest has the player tossing concoctions to wash off an aetheric disguise. Of course this is not a potion. However because it can change the sex and appearance and or race of a host, the idea of a potion that the altars an appearance does not seem too far-fetched.

(09-24-2014, 04:57 AM)Tiergan Wrote: For me, I think it depends on how it is pulled off.  I've seen it done well and done poorly.  I agree with others though in that it would be purely cosmetic and likely not actually repair anything.  You'd just be a different race with the same injuries.

I agree with this. I know there were some parts in the game where a quest has the player tossing concoctions to wash off an aetheric disguise. Of course this is not a potion. However because it can change the sex and appearance and or race of a host, the idea of a potion that alters an appearance does not seem too far-fetched.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Knight Kat - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 12:33 AM)Aya Wrote: I find that Fantasia potions greatly undermine immersion, and ignore them from an IC perspective.  If someone I know in-character, really wants to RP a race-change I just hope they come up with a better story for it than Fantasia Smile

THIS^

I just do not like the use of fantasia ICly. If someone does use it ICly, it is not like I am going to refuse to RP with them; of course I won't refuse to RP with them. But my character will -not- accept the existence of fantasia ICly. To her, it is illusion magic, or if I have to, the character will be regarded as having always been the race/sex they were changed to.

The only time I decided to ICly acknowledge race change was with Kage, and that was easy because he simply told Kiht he woke up in a strange place as a Miqo'te XD

Kiht had her freak-out then it was done. Now when she finally sees that he is back to being a Lalafell, I hope he is prepared for freak-out number 2 Laugh

In other words, I am in agreement that race change through some other crazy means, or mysterious circumstance is much better then someone chugging down a fantasia they bought from a random alchemist. And I am still hesitant to have Kiht accept race change in the future.

RE: The power of Fantasia potions! - Kellach Woods - 09-24-2014

Personally I'll do whatever if the story's good.