Hydaelyn Role-Players
Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V (/showthread.php?tid=8570)

Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Tiergan - 10-09-2014

I need halp. ;_; I've not RPed with Lurial in months because I'm just not having fun with her anymore and am considering shelfing her for good. I still like the idea of Tiergan having a sibling, so I was hoping maybe folks here could help me hatch up some solutions.

As a bit of background, way back in the 1.0 days, Lurial Vashir was my main. At the time, she was not a mage, but more of a rogue-ninja type melee character that was forced to act as an assassin/slave-hunter for crime lord due to unfortunate circumstances, while having a more public face as an information broker.

When 2.0 hit, (and I couldn't give the highlander male I was creating eyebrows T_T) Tiergan Vashir was born as Lurial's twin brother. I really wanted Tiergan to be a gladiator, so I decided Tiergan would get all the melee classes while Lurial would get all the magic-ones just to prevent myself from completely losing my mind leveling two characters to 50 with similar jobs.

Lurial then changed from a roguish femme fatale assassin who spends most of her time active, fighting, and struggling with a lot of self-hate towards her forced profession to an eloquently-spoken, intellectual, information brokering spellcaster who spends most of her time in her study, buried in books and research. While I love it when other players RP as the highly-intelligent bookworm mage, for Lurial, I'm finding that it's not really my cup of tea.

Friends have suggested I try to merge the 1.0 concept and the 2.0 concept together, which I sort of tried to do, (had pieces of her 1.0 history basically be elements of her past). However, I'm still not really enjoying it. At the end of the day, think I want Lurial to still retain the feel of a dangerous, dextrous, close-quarters, in-your-face assassin, but I feel like it would be received poorly if Lurial was both a nimble rogue-lady *and* a mage.

I could just retcon her being a mage at all, but a lot of the RP I've done with her in 2.0 revolves around her being very clever with spellcasting and I'm kinda reluctant to let that go. (I know, I'm making it harder for myself. :V)

Anyone have any suggestions?

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Roswyn - 10-09-2014

Kayah will appear in 3....2....

But in all serious, the information broker aspect is an excellent angle and there could be tons of RP to come out of that if you are interested, especially with how much the "baddie" scene has been growing recently.

In times Kayah and I rp'ed together he's mentioned Lurial by name. :3

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Tiergan - 10-09-2014

I like the information broker angle, but at the same time, I don't really want it to be the main aspect of her character.

RPing an information broker is tough, because any information Lurial actually knows on people has to come from those folks with their OOC consent. If they don't want Lurial to know anything IC, she 'fails' at her 'job' and can in some cases come off looking really incompetent. :V

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Roswyn - 10-09-2014

(10-09-2014, 01:26 AM)Tiergan Wrote: I like the information broker angle, but at the same time, I don't really want it to be the main aspect of her character.

RPing an information broker is tough, because any information Lurial actually knows on people has to come from those folks with their OOC consent.  If they don't want Lurial to know anything IC, she 'fails' at her 'job' and can in some cases come off looking really incompetent.  :V

Seems kinda like slamming the RP door in people's face with saying no. I can understand certain things being harder to find out than others but that can all be discussed oocly. Sad

Hmm..since she was a broker, Lurial seems a little malleable in the morals department so you could test the waters and see of she wants to go further in that direction.

Really early on with Ros, I wanted her to combine the use of daggers with the poisons and acids used with Arcanima. It seems a really neat idea to me and blended the two quite nicely I thought without coming off too "OP" as you mentioned you were worried about.

I don't think it's unreasonable for a spellcaster character to be able to protect themselves physically at all either. Granted, it wouldn't be a forte and, personally, I would play it as much weaker than the spellcasting angle but my chars also tend to be a bit lower on the Super Sayian scale.

I can understand why people would say no, so I don't begrudge anyone for it. Sometimes it can spoil the narrative arc of a character's story for details to get released too abruptly via a third party and a lot of the time, it's just more fun certain aspects of your character to be discovered through interaction as opposed to someone paying another character to provide the info.

Roswyn using arcanum as the poison to her daggers sounds like a really neat idea! Maybe I should sort out something similar where Lurial blends roguery and spellcasting in a unique way. Perhaps with only physical combat or only spellcasting, she's not the greatest, but in merging them, she's able to hold her own.

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - DreamedReality - 10-09-2014

Also gunna say don't be afraid to blend a bit. You've RPed her in the past as being a 'clever' spellcaster. Not a 'powerful' one. So put your emphasis on that. I think a spellcaster that might not be as powerful but has found clever ways to work around that lack of base aetherical energy by incorporating daggers/tricks/etc would be neat.

Fight smarter, not harder and all that.

You could also contact Yssen. His main is both mage and assassin like. See how he's balanced and all that.

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Warren Castille - 10-09-2014

Spitballing, my favorite game:

I've been doing some research into thaumaturgy and arcanimagerycraft for reasons and I realized a lot of this stuff is theory and practice and practical application. Being knowledgeable about magic is not necessarily the same as being capable at magic. I'd imagine it sort of like people who follows sports and understand the strategic approach to a game but that doesn't mean they can get on a field and play it.

The idea of a nimble assassin that's able to "feel" spells and knows how they function is terrifying to the hypothetical caster in my head.

Might just steal this idea for myself, actually. >.>

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Yangh - 10-09-2014

(10-09-2014, 11:14 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: The idea of a nimble assassin that's able to "feel" spells and knows how they function is terrifying to the hypothetical caster in my head.

Might just steal this idea for myself, actually. >.>

I've already beaten you to the punch... by about 8 months! Not that she practices such terrible things anymore! >.>

But on topic! I think it's best to just create a very flexible frame work. IE. Informant who's handy with a dagger and knows her way around a spell then build up and down from there, introduce the strengths and weaknesses as you go and see what comes of it!

Go nuts! Big Grin

Thanks guys! I poked Yssen via PMs too and I'm now kind of excited to sort out Lurial's main combat weaknesses. ::rubs hands together::

... I also have to find time to revamp her wiki. :V

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Flickering Ember - 10-09-2014

Most of what you've written seems to be about Lurial's job and what she has done in her plot. These things do affect one's perceptions of a character and should be changed. However, a character's identity lies mostly in their personality, quirks, and how they act upon story elements. I'd also look into these parts of her character, if I were you. What she does as a living has changed, but what parts of her personality have changed since 1.0? What traits do you have fun RPing and which ones do you not have fun playing? What about your characters that you enjoy? What is something that all the characters you enjoy have in common?

Her personality definitely shifted with the change I made to her background. I think part of my brain is just stuck on the idea that a bookworm, spellcaster-only Lurial who spends most of her time researching would act very different than an active, constantly out-and-about, gathering-intel-the-hard-way Lurial would.

RE: Help me Reboot Lurial Vashir :V - Seriphyn - 10-13-2014

I remember Lurial! I RP'd with her like...once. I think if you retconned her, people would be okay with accepting it. Since I'm the type to follow the racial stereotypes closely, I'd lean towards that assassin type, especially with rogue coming ("I'm not a rogue, I'm an assassin!"). Could be high Ul'dahn society, educated, elegant, etc. Maybe an assassin for the Syndicate? There's those 'Death Hands' bad guys, though, who are basically that.