Hydaelyn Role-Players
So, random chat filtering during RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So, random chat filtering during RP (/showthread.php?tid=8628)

Pages: 1 2

So, random chat filtering during RP - Titor - 10-13-2014

This happens to me (and others) so much in RP. Text posts (and even emotes) will get filtered out during RP. The posts that get filtered out are the most random, and contain no vulgarities and no profanities (and no, are not a part of ERP) 

I have no idea why some posts get filtered that contain seemingly nothing harmful in them, when much more vulgar and explicit language is able to get through. And it is the message itself being filtered (not just temporary server issue) because reposing will also result in it getting filtered.

Does anyone know the causes of these filtering? It usually leads in a lot of awkward silence while RPing for all parties involved, and I would like to avoid it if possible.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Faye - 10-13-2014

Nope! There seems to be something, a certain combination of characters in the post that triggers it, but it's random/obscure enough that I don't think anyone has really figured it out. The best I can tell you is to check with people during awkward pauses to make sure no one's post got eaten, and if it did, rewriting it or cutting out part of it may help if you manage to get rid of whatever characters are being filtered.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Val - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 01:57 AM)Titor Wrote: This happens to me (and others) so much in RP. Text posts (and even emotes) will get filtered out during RP. The posts that get filtered out are the most random, and contain no vulgarities and no profanities (and no, are not a part of ERP) 

I have no idea why some posts get filtered that contain seemingly nothing harmful in them, when much more vulgar and explicit language is able to get through. And it is the message itself being filtered (not just temporary server issue) because reposing will also result in it getting filtered.

Does anyone know the causes of these filtering? It usually leads in a lot of awkward silence while RPing for all parties involved, and I would like to avoid it if possible.

Sadly, there isn't much of a way to avoid it. From what I understand, it's some sort of filter they have on the chat that captures key phrases and then deletes the whole post. Obviously it doesn't help too much as there's still a bunch of spam, but it's been around since the game released (and was actually MUCH worse then). I think SE officially said "working as intended."

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - OttoVann - 10-13-2014

Oh my god I always thought it was lag

good to know when this happens that I should rewrite the post

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Titor - 10-13-2014

It is so weird that they filter out obscure things that come up in RP, but one round of frontlines will assure me that homophobic and racist terms are not filtered..

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - LiadansWhisper - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 02:26 AM)Titor Wrote: It is so weird that they filter out obscure things that come up in RP, but one round of frontlines will assure me that homophobic and racist terms are not filtered..

Yep.  Brilliant, isn't it?

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - ArmachiA - 10-13-2014

It seems completely random. I had a big long post get eaten once with the word Fuck in it and thought that may have been it and it wasn't. The offender? easy practice. Got deleted and reworded and the post went through.

of course once you use the two words in a different paragraph, it doesn't filter at all.

Who the hell knows.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - DreamedReality - 10-13-2014

It would be -exceptionally- nice if the post at least tell you that it was being filtered.... to avoid those long awkward pauses.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Maril - 10-13-2014

This is one of the many reasons I like to have my regular RP peoples on skype, copy/paste to the person works wonders, however it is a problem that it takes about 4 minutes for you to realize that it happened. I always assumed that it was a bug that they didn't want to fix.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - C'kayah Polaali - 10-13-2014

I suspect it's a bug and not an actual filter. In any case, it does seem to be repeatable: If something hits that bug and doesn't go through, it will hit it again if you try it again.

I'm a computer programmer by trade, and have worked on multi user chat systems before. Knowing that this is a repeatable bug means that it would be relatively straightforward for SE to diagnose and fix it. Which, of course, means that SE simply doesn't care.

For important RP nowadays, I'll type up my posts in an external editor and paste them into chat. Then at the times I run into this bug, I can start carving up the post (if it's long) and rewording it to let it go through. Which is a little tricky, of course, because it always looks like it goes through to you...

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - FreelanceWizard - 10-13-2014

There's two parts to this, I've noticed. Part one is that there's no length limit for lines in the textbox, but the chat system does have a line length limit; lines longer than a certain length are silently dropped. That's definitely a bug, and a long-standing one at that.

Part two is that there's some sort of anti-spam filter logic that's misidentifying text as spam. Of course, you don't want to tell people when something is blocked as spam, because then they can poke at it repeatedly to reverse engineer it. My guess is that SE came up with some filtering method they thought was "clever" but that actually trips on false positives now and then. I will say that it's a lot better than the early days of 2.x, where some RP groups just went entirely to Skype or IRC because of how awful it was.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Ilwe'ran - 10-13-2014

Point is it's not about a "bug" that would delete your sentence once. We tested a lot with Nebbs and understood that once a sentence is deleted by the game, it won't work in any chat. If, at least, you could have a message like any other error in this game, that would help, so we tend to ask each others if something was said when we notice a silence of more than 5mn lenght and we always say in advance when we'll do a big post to avoid long, awkward silence and weird answers.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Verranicus - 10-17-2014

(10-13-2014, 10:42 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: There's two parts to this, I've noticed. Part one is that there's no length limit for lines in the textbox, but the chat system does have a line length limit; lines longer than a certain length are silently dropped. That's definitely a bug, and a long-standing one at that.

Part two is that there's some sort of anti-spam filter logic that's misidentifying text as spam. Of course, you don't want to tell people when something is blocked as spam, because then they can poke at it repeatedly to reverse engineer it. My guess is that SE came up with some filtering method they thought was "clever" but that actually trips on false positives now and then. I will say that it's a lot better than the early days of 2.x, where some RP groups just went entirely to Skype or IRC because of how awful it was.

It's still pretty awful.

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - FreelanceWizard - 10-17-2014

No disagreements there. :/

RE: So, random chat filtering during RP - Jaliqai - 10-17-2014

I've noticed that this tends to happen to me a lot, too. It's super annoying, and even when I try to rephrase / chop posts up, it still doesn't like to go through most of the time. I usually just get frustrated and bypass it by taking a screen capture of the post and /telling it to my partner(s). >.>;