Hydaelyn Role-Players
When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main (/showthread.php?tid=8664)

Pages: 1 2

When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Melodia - 10-15-2014

And so it happened.

Melodia was to be my alt, a part time character for me to have fun with as a Yellowjacket. Ruru was to be my main.

But I've grown to love playing as Melodia and I mean with rp and just the game in general. She has more money, more jobs leveled and I enjoy playing more and more as warrior tank with her.

Doesn't mean I'm not sad for moving Ruru to the bench. He's just in such a narrow niche rp setting (with his buddy still away) that it's hard to play as him. And so I've grown more comfortable playing as Melodia.

Anyone else have this happen? Or did I just do a major RP faux pas?

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Melkire - 10-15-2014

I don't see how this could possibly be a faux paus. If one was to to suddenly delete their character without warning or explanation or giving others an opportunity to account for that change in their own stories, then maybe.

This just sounds like you'll be RPing more with a different character.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Warren Castille - 10-15-2014

It happens. My "main" changed so frequently in WoW I was basically playing half a dozen people full-time. Sometimes one character's voice just rings out the loudest. Perfectly natural!

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Berrod Armstrong - 10-15-2014

(10-15-2014, 02:34 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: It happens. My "main" changed so frequently in WoW I was basically playing half a dozen people full-time. Sometimes one character's voice just rings out the loudest. Perfectly natural!
Same. On WoW I was playing 11 toons (one of each class) as if they were each my main. 
It makes me so happy that I could get all the classes on one toon here.

Not that it stopped me from getting three other toons to 50.

.../sob

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Bumo - 10-15-2014

This happened to me recently. I've started focusing a lot more on an alt than on my main, partially because I'm not 100% sure where I want to go with my main, and the alt right now is a lot more 'focused.'

As Melkire said, I don't know why that would be a faux pas, unless you're leaving other people hanging. So long as that isn't the case, why would concentrating on an alt be a bad thing?

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - ArmachiA - 10-15-2014

Loki was my main the first 3 months of the game. Armi completely took over soon after.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Crisiet - 10-15-2014

Yep! This happened to me. My main a year ago was a moonkeeper monk named Eicha'to. 

Turns out I -really- like elezen. And Ishgard's lore.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - C'kayah Polaali - 10-15-2014

It happened to me on Star Trek Online. I made a Klingon alt on a whim once. Two months later I'm thinking "When's the last time I logged into my Fed character?"

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Olofantur - 10-15-2014

I didn't even play on Balmung/Besaid at first... I was on Lindblum.

Quari's the second character I made on Balmung, meant to mostly just have some RP on the side with friends I knew and moved over to FFXIV with while I did "more serious" stuff on my main.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Ermine - 10-16-2014

This is exactly how it happened with me - I've played a Hyur Midlander, set up a character tumblr for her, wrote with her...

Then rolled an Elezen because "why not" and fell in love and accidentally managed a second level capped character.

If it doesn't interfere with any RP or storylines you're in, I don't think it's a problem, but I know some folks who balk at constant switches.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Telluride - 10-16-2014

This happened to me rather back and forth back in a previous game. My main got tied into an RP relationship, one that was very satisfying and provided opportunity both with the partner and with the larger group. However, the partner wanted to start a completely new character, and found a new group/storyline, so my main, who I still wanted to play, had a quandary: act against his nature, or languish.

So, I started developing a character who had been a sideline at best, and the toon suddenly found fresh life, and got to do all sorts of things that my main couldn't even consider IC.

Frankly, it was a good lesson in how to adapt to RP coming and going, and I've built my main in FFXIV with the things that worked before, and left out the things that just got me horribly stuck. Seems to be working well so far.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Melodia - 10-16-2014

I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful responses. On my own perspective, I find Melodia an easier and developed background this far but easily a more challenging character to rp with. Where Ruru tends to be a bit vanilla in many ways, sort of a follower, Melodia is a bit of a loose cannon. She's independent and angry and a bit violent making her a tough rp at times since not everyone wants their head cracked lol!

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-16-2014

(10-16-2014, 01:47 PM)Melodia Wrote: I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful responses. On my own perspective, I find Melodia an easier and developed background this far but easily a more challenging character to rp with. Where Ruru tends to be a bit vanilla in many ways, sort of a follower, Melodia is a bit of a loose cannon. She's independent and angry and a bit violent making her a tough rp at times since not everyone wants their head cracked lol!

I think that's a good perspective. And helps with starting RP if the character's a little more rowdy. I know I did the same when I switched from a very polite elezen to a psychotic highlander.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Tiergan - 10-16-2014

Guilty. Lurial was my main until the Lightning quests came out and I REALLY WANTED that snow jacket. (I can feel Kale cringing already. :V)

The lady version of the Lightning gear didn't interest me at all, so Tiergan wound up higher in level. For a while, I tried to play both Tier and Luri equally as "mains" (which is why they are both 50 and equally geared), but before long I was just spending way more time on Tiergan and POOF! He became my main. His RP was just way more fun and engaging.

RE: When Your Alt Becomes Your Main - Val - 10-16-2014

I've been playing Mel a lot more than I have Val. ...And since Val is currently benched due to IC reasons, Mel really is my main at the moment!