Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) (/showthread.php?tid=9102)

The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Atoli - 11-30-2014

Ho' boy, get yourselves ready folks, here comes a really specific question!

Where is the Antelope tribe located (if mentioned anywhere in lore), and what sort of traits or culture does it hold (should it be described)?

I'm currently working on a wiki profile/page for A'toli, and I'm scrambling around trying to find information that would relate to her. Before I get too involved in writing up a history, let alone roleplaying the character, I'd like to make sure I know what's necessary so I don't feel as though I make a fool of myself by making assumptions or generalizing. Generalizing can only take me so far. :C

I believe that I had read somewhere online that they were located just outside of Gridania... however, this was only a snippet and after thorough Googling and wandering aimlessly outside of Gridania, I came up with no conclusions. Would anyone out there be able to put my wandering mind to rest? Thanks in advance!

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Clover - 11-30-2014

I've never seen any mention about any tribe that wasn't the U one. What I do know is that there isn't supposed to be an unique tribe per letter. The lore is made in a way that leaves room for personal interpretation, since there are several sub tribes of each letter, and each of them will have their own rules (so long as the basics are respected). We had freedom to decide about our K tribe, so I think you could do the same ^^

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - K'nahli - 11-30-2014

If you have any specific questions then feel free to ask and I/we can tell you how our tribe functions.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Enteris - 11-30-2014

I've personally stuck to the idea that the tribes "settle" near where their particular animal exists. And this is somewhat shown in game, though not explicitly stated, by the U tribe. The U tribe is the drake tribe... they "settled" in Thanalan where a large number of drakes exist.

To go a little deeper, the C tribe is the couerl tribe (and a character of mine is from that tribe), so I imagine they're "settled" around La Noscea, mostly in the upper and outer regions.

Applying this logic to the antelope tribe, the Shroud comes to mind... namely the southern bit of it.

Again, not explicitly stated in lore... but it makes sense to me.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Atoli - 11-30-2014

Allrigty, thank you all very much! All of these responses were very helpful, and I'll definitely work with it. It also leaves a lot of sweat off my brow, because now I have more room to work without worrying about possibly contradicting what's been established about a particular tribe, haha. Thank you all very much! Smile

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Sounsyy - 11-30-2014

Kind of shameless self-plug, but awhile ago (2.2) I did an experiment to try to discover which Tribes made their home in which region based off in-game NPC distribution. Ultimately, it was largely inconclusive, but it's on this topic and might be found interesting.

But there is no definitive lore on the subject, so feel free to shape your background and story however you feel is appropriate. ^^ But as far as I'm concerned, Miqo'te (per lore) traveled from the Western Continent to Aldenard 3000 years ago during the Age of Endless Frost (5th Umbral Era) and settled mainly in Vylbrand and Thanalan and in the 3000 years since that time, have come to be found throughout Eorzea and beyond. The 26 Tribes refer to those original 26 Tribes which made the travel, there's no telling how many times those Tribes have split or relocated since that time.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Aysun - 12-02-2014

My character is a few generations removed from tribe anteloper. For what it's worth, I said hers were located in La Noscea as fishers. XD You can do whatever you want with your particular faction of the A tribe, in my opinion. They're probably all so fractured now that anything is possible. Just follow the general given lore for Seekers and no one will bat an eye about where you make them from.

Edit: 'eyyy.. your girl is blonde too! Hmmm. x)

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Jaliqai - 12-02-2014

(11-30-2014, 04:52 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: The 26 Tribes refer to those original 26 Tribes which made the travel, there's no telling how many times those Tribes have split or relocated since that time.

This is how I choose to play off Seeker tribes, too. It just makes sense to me, personally, from a logical standpoint. After all, in a real life setting, think of all the diasporas of different ethnic groups where one group has split off from the "main" group due to things like differences in ideals, certain circumstances, etc. It makes sense to me that Sunseekers might be much the same way when there are differences in opinions between a large enough portion of the members to warrant an actual split, rather than the case where a Tia leaves to form his own tribe, entirely.

From a strictly RP standpoint, I think it also makes it easier that way to interact with others. Seeing as there's only one Seeker tribe overwhelmingly represented in the game, it's unreasonable to think that all players playing non-U Sunseekers are going to somehow interpret their characters' origins the same way. So it's easier for, say, two N tribe members from different backgrounds to come to the conclusion "Oh, I'm from a different branch of the Aldgoat tribe" instead of simply "Oh, we've got different interpretations, so for the sake of my personal character development, I can't interact with you."

All that to say, I would recommend making your own Antelope tribe if you cannot find another that you prefer. Depending on how intricately it's entwined with your character's background, it can be as simple as saying "Oh, they're from the Shroud" to as detailed and intricate as you like, such as what some players have done for tribes like the Coeurls. (Whose lore I love reading through. *-*)

Will you maybe have to adjust things one day, due to lore updates? Maybe. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Naunet - 12-02-2014

I just want to drop in and encourage you, if it is what you so wish, to build freely your own Antelope tribe lore! Crafting the story around the K tribe has actually been one of my favorite parts of roleplaying in this game. xD If you want to bat around ideas, please feel free to share.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - D'aito Kuji - 12-02-2014

I really like the idea of the tribes coming from areas where the animals their letters are based on.  Unfortunately, this is the first I'm heard of this, else I'd have followed this bit of awesome.

I had my character hail from the Southern Sagolii, away from the U-tribe.  They'd long ago hunted their local population of Dodo to extinction but still maintained the name, engaging in ceremonial hunts only.  Even in light of this compelling idea, I'll keep D'aito's background the same.  But if I ever roll a new Miqo'te, I'll have their tribe located where the game they are named after is plentiful.  That does make a lot of sense.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Parvacake - 12-02-2014

(11-30-2014, 09:22 AM)Enteris Wrote: I've personally stuck to the idea that the tribes "settle" near where their particular animal exists. And this is somewhat shown in game, though not explicitly stated, by the U tribe. The U tribe is the drake tribe... they "settled" in Thanalan where a large number of drakes exist.

To go a little deeper, the C tribe is the couerl tribe (and a character of mine is from that tribe), so I imagine they're "settled" around La Noscea, mostly in the upper and outer regions.

Applying this logic to the antelope tribe, the Shroud comes to mind... namely the southern bit of it.

Again, not explicitly stated in lore... but it makes sense to me.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Here.

Also referring to what Sounsyy said about the tribes splitting and relocating, I play my character M'subi as being of a sect of the M tribe that took it's own branch of the family and moved out to La Noscea to start their own unit. Even though they're no longer part of the main clan, they still keep up relations and what not.

Shroud sounds like as good a place as any to situate due to the animal in question as well Smile

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - FreelanceWizard - 12-02-2014

*unleashes dev posts*

According to this dev post, it's fairly common for a tia to secure new territory for the tribe and, in doing so, become nunh of that territory. That's how you end up with all the various branches. This isn't the same as splitting off into a new tribe, which is quite rare and marks those involved as outcasts.

Since the tribe names are based on creature totems, I agree that it makes sense that at least one branch of each tribe would be in the vicinity of where those creatures typically live. However, since branching is predominantly based on territory acquisition, you can pretty much be from wherever you want.

One of the nice parts about miqo'te lore is how the devs left a lot of grey areas in which RPers can build their stories.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - Enteris - 12-02-2014

I certainly hope my post didn't come off as an attempt to stifle any other ideas or claim that my idea is the right way and everyone else is wrong. My intention was simply to give an idea... one that I personally use since there is an unfortunately severe lack of miqo'te lore in that regard.

The clans splitting off and settling where ever the grass is greener is just as fine an idea as any, imo. And may very well be the case.

RE: The Antelope Tribe (Miqo'te lore question) - FreelanceWizard - 12-02-2014

It didn't come off that way to me. Smile I just wanted to toss out some dev posts from my Big List of Miqo'te Lore Posts (which will eventually make it onto the RPC wiki... one of these days...).