Hydaelyn Role-Players
A Life Unchained - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: A Life Unchained (/showthread.php?tid=9138)

Pages: 1 2 3

A Life Unchained - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-03-2014

Evangeline busies herself in the early morning, readying her light armor, and weapons. Her mail shirt had been worn so commonly, that of late, it almost felt like a second skin. Walking through Ul'dah, and saying what she commonly said was not a recipe for safety. More than once she had been thankful for its protection.

Her sword and shield lie against the wall, shining in the morning sun. Gaudy, garish things they were, built as much for ceremony as for battle. She had thought of abandoning them, and buying more practical weapons. However in the end she kept them out of stubbornness. They were fine weapons, given as a gift by a relative in the Temple Knights. There was a certain poetic justice, she thought, in such symbols of the Holy See being wielded by her.

She shoulders them, and after adjusting her glasses, steps off into the morning mists. Weaving her towards the gate, she is greeted by the sounds and stenches of the refugee camps. Though at this early hour, most remain in their makeshift shelters. She scans around the camp, searching for her unlikely master.

RE: A Life Unchained - Gharen - 12-03-2014

Gharen stood out behind the refugee camps in the clearing he'd chosen as training ground. The desert air was cool and crisp against his face, and the sounds of the camp stirring with the rising of the sun was becoming more apparent as they prepared for the the day ahead of them. One more day of hoping to earn enough gil in order to feed their families, another day of survival, only for it to start all over again the next day. A life he remembered all too well.

He crouched, with his left leg outstretched. His knee was still sore, a gift from his new student, but no more so now than the other aches and pains from old injuries. He contemplated how best to teach the girl, she seemed to focus on the literal so much that the actual lesson was not being heard. He wondered briefly if he would be up to the task of teaching someone so detail oriented.

He pushed the thoughts out of his mind as he looked to his right and saw his new student entering the camps. Today's lesson, would likely need to be clearly defined.

"Mornin' Miss Primrose."

RE: A Life Unchained - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-03-2014

Evangeline approaches him warily, stopping several feet away and bowing. "Good morning, Master Wolfsong." She clears her throat awkwardly, "How is your knee?"

"As you said, I will today attempt to differentiate between sparring and instruction." She looks down at the ground for a moment, "Have you had many students, Master Wolfsong?" She sighs slightly, "I must admit, I have more experience learning from books. My previous instructors in combat always found me... recalcitrant, but I will do my best to overcome that fault."

RE: A Life Unchained - Gharen - 12-03-2014

He stands up to his full height after stretching. "Tis well enough." he says, as he steps over to a crate that had been turned into a makeshift table and picks up his sword and shield. "I've had a few, most were lookin' te learn th' Lance, I've only taught one other in th' use o' sword an' shield. As fer yer previous instructors, well, les' jus' say tha' this'll be a learnin' experience fer us both. Aye?"

He steps back over into the dust and dirt. "Rules" he thought, clear cut and explained outright. "We will be sparrin' teday Miss Primrose. Feel free te improvise, but keep it honorable, as a paladin, ye'll be held te a higher standard than th' petty thuggery o' bandits an' some Brass Blades."

He gave her a moment to let that sink in and then added the caveat. "I may present ye some "unconventional" challenges te test yer reactions te changing circumstances. But this won' be an unmitigated brawl, understand?" He assumes a balanced combat stance several feet in front of the young elezen woman with sword and shield at the ready.

RE: A Life Unchained - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-03-2014

Evangeline nods slowly, drawing her weapons and settling into a formal combat stance. "I will do my best to 'improvise' within reason then."

She takes note of his weapons, not for the first time. Simple, practical items they were, forged of grey steel, lacking ornamentation. A far cry from her own armaments. Evangeline begins circling him, golden blade held low, "I hope I might provide some challenges as well." She darts forward, low, blade moving in a horizontal arc towards his shin.

RE: A Life Unchained - Gharen - 12-04-2014

His demeanor becomes one of calm concentration as he watches her movements, Gharen takes a quick step back to let the swing pass by, his retaliation quickly follows with the flat of his blade aimed for her exposed sword arm.

"So tell me Miss Primrose, exactly what draws ye te want'n te be a Free Paladin?"

RE: A Life Unchained - McBeefâ„¢ - 12-04-2014

Evangeline hisses in pain as the tip of the blade catches her arm, leaving a neat red line, dribbling blood. She steps back, "I wish to become a shield for Eorzea and its people." She ventures a few probing thrusts.

"Without chaining myself to a government or organization." She steps forward and aims a more dedicated thrust towards his chest, "Is that not good enough?"

Gharen takes note of the wound on her arm, Minor, and wouldn't need more than a bandage without a conjuror. The sound of sword against shield rang out as Evangeline's thrusts were intercepted. He watched the young woman's shoulder as he mentally counted the times she attempted her thrusts "One.. two.. Three.."

When she reared her arm further for a stronger thrust, he stepped to the side as her blade flew forward. He attempted to grapple her wrist with his shield hand and force her momentum forward on a follow through hopefully causing her to stumble, and to reinforce the lesson, swung the flat of his blade low to attempt to land a smack across her rump.

"Those are fine reasons Miss Primrose, ones tha' I cannae argue with. What are yer views regardin' th' twelve then?"

Evangeline feels her wrist grabbed, and any counter she could think of was dashed from her mind as she was sent flying forward. A stinging sensation erupted on her rear as the flat of a blade impacted it, and she found herself sprawled in the dust.

She stood, a grumpy expression on her face as she dusted herself off. "I think the are fine beings, when they choose to make their presence known. At least the primals seem to have some concern for their followers. The twelve simply watch from afar."

She stands, regaining her grip on her sword and shield, "How do I break such a defense then." She nods at his sword and shield, "In Ishgard I was training to probe an opponents defenses, then strike when weakness is found." Evangeline gives him a dour look, "Hard to do when you're always throwing me around."

He gives her a moment to dust herself off. "You leave yerself open in two ways tha' I can see. Lookin' fer a weakness is fine, but te follow repeated attacks tha' have jus' been parried or blocked repeatedly, by more o' th' same tha' is jus' more powerful, an' by then, predictable, will leave ye open te counter, an' at th' very minimum, a sore behind."

"Th' other is th' fact tha' yer relyin' too much on power from yer shoulders fer yer swings an thrusts it slows ye down and makes ye easy te read. Yer frame isn't built fer hittin' harder, but smarter." He pauses for a moment to let her digest this information.

"Instruction time." he states flatly, patting his right shoulder, "Watch yer opponent's shoulders an' ye'll be able te see an' attack commin' do it enough an' ye'll be able te read em' like a book. Also, remember how I told ye te move when hittin' someone with yer shield?" He points to his right foot and slowly reenacts the twisting of the body that transfers power through the legs into the hips and out through the arm. "Tha' is where yer power will come from lass. Think o' it like a spring bein' wound up, an let go. Ye'll hit harder, an faster with less effort."

He takes a step back rests his thumbs in his belt his sword hangin' loose at his side. "Ye catch all tha?"

Evangeline nods, though the annoyed look on her face persists. She resists the urge to pay him back for his strike, now that his weapons are placed aside. "Very well Master Wolfsong." She sighs, "So I must vary my strikes, and observe my opponent's shoulders to gauge their reaction?"

She steps back, and does a few full figured thrusts, with both her shield and sword, attempting to put her entire body behind the blows.

"It seems effective enough... but if it is stopped, how do I prevent the enemy from seizing my limbs as you are want to do?"

She thinks for a moment, "Perhaps a demonstration would do me more good." She returns to her formal stance, "Master Wolfsong, come at me, if it pleases you."

"Perhaps afterwards you will share your own view on the twelve."

Gharen assumes his combat stance once more. "Ready yourself lass." He starts off much in the manner that she did originally, a simple thrust, easily blocked by her shield. He promptly changes though with a swing from high and to the left, followed by a midsection swipe, and another aimed low toward her legs.

"Remember lass watch me shoulders an' ye'll get a good idea where it's comin' from."

She watches his shoulders warily, though her eyes flicker to his blade as it comes in. The first blow slides off her shield, and she steps back, blocking each blow with sword or shield. The last however, was unexpectedly low, and as she blocks it, the heavy blow sends her sword spinning off into the desert.

As it does, she furrows her brow, sets her back foot and presses forward, sending her shield slamming forward towards his chest, as she was shown the day prior.

Gharen watches as Evangeline reacts to each individual strike as she deftly blocks the first several swings. The final swing, causing her to lose her blade, he grins in approval as the look of defiance crosses her face and covers up in defense just before her shield collides with his.

The sound of impacted metal rings out across the desert, the force behind it was apparent, though it wasn't the hardest he'd been hit, it did it's job, forcing him to pause his assault and put space between them.

"Well done Miss Primrose."

Evangeline grumbles as she steps back to pick up her blade, "I do not wish to be patronized, Master Wolfsong. Though I thank you for your praise."

She gives the blade a few practice swings, "You never answered my question on the twelve, I can only assume it is a sore subject." She clears her throat, "Much like my backside. In any case, how does one defend against such a flurry of blows... even If I can see them coming, it seems better to interrupt than continue to defend."

She smiles wryly, "Paladin or not, weathering a storm has never been my strong suit. I'd prefer to to kill it." She sighs, "Perhaps that metaphor was slightly strained..."