Hydaelyn Role-Players
Personal airships modifications - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Personal airships modifications (/showthread.php?tid=9512)

Personal airships modifications - Leomoon - 01-02-2015

So this idea came to me with another friend where we where thinking of airship names and if we could change the paint and stuff on them in Heavens ward and this idea struck me in a RP since.

My Character is a weapon master she is training to be the best with all weapons in the world but one would wonder how she would carry all such weapons on her to be able to do this one way that came to mind was her airship she will be getting in 3.0. To simply put it she makes it heavily modified with magic and some engineering and wit a command she can ave her airship drop a weapon from the heavens for her and keep battle but with a new style.

I know this is just a dumb idea and trying to predict too far ahead but I was wondering what the rest of you though of it, A airship loaded with a arsenal ready for the owners command to give them a axe or lance or staff.

RE: Personal airships modifications - Dogberry - 01-02-2015

I think it sounds cool, but really, really impractical. It raises more questions than it answers. It answers only one question: How your character carries around a bunch of weapons at the same time.

It raises several:

Did you character build this airship?

How does your character obtain the ceruleum necessary to power an airship for long periods of time?

Is it a manned airship? If so, how does your character keep this crew loyal when all they do is just follow you around to carry weapons?

If it is not manned, is your character a magitek genius, essentially Nikolai Tesla, Alexander Graham Bell, Charles Babbage, and Alan Turing rolled into one? Then they should be commended for creating the first true AI in Eorzea.

If no, is your character a magical prodigy akin to Merlin, Gandalf (actually flying war machines seem more like Saruman's thing), and Dumbledore? Then they should be commended for making an airship golem.

If no to the last two questions, how did they come by these wonderous things?

Do the weapons come down on little parachutes so that they don't break?

Is your character actually David Hasselhoff, because having an AI vehicle buddy is freaking AWESOME?!

Doing things like this, you have to ask these kinds of questions, and then once you have all of those answers, you have to ask yourself if there is support for this in the material you're pulling from.

These are the outcomes that I can see happening.

1. You come up with satisfactory answers for your questions and determine that there is justification in canon, in which you go for it.

2. You come up with satisfactory answers, but feel that it is too much of a stretch for the canon, and you don't go for it.

3. None of the answers you come up with are satisfactory, regardless of their canon status, and you don't go for it.

4. AI AIRSHIP BUDDY WHO CARES?! You decide to Rule of Cool it, and go for it. Haters to the left.

I hope that was helpful.

RE: Personal airships modifications - Leomoon - 01-02-2015

Like I said I was just spinning it around in my head, I am waiting until the addon is done and launched before I go ahead with the plan. I want to see how in game we get the air ship and how the air ship works and functions before I set stuff in stone.

RE: Personal airships modifications - Warren Castille - 01-02-2015

I, for one, approve of anything Batman-like in design, and having a Bat Wing to supply weapons on the fly is pretty great. However, it does lead to some questions regarding access. Does your ship fly overhead of you all the time? There's also drop distance to consider; if your ship is high in the sky, dropping weapons risks damaging them. Maybe they're propelled, then? Similar to gunpods from the <insert first person shooter series here> ways of handling it? Well, now you're talking armed missiles, basically. That could lead to a whole host of other questions: If you can drop an heavy metal pod accurately enough to gear up during a fight, why not just... drop the pod on your foe? If it isn't that accurate, let's say it lands within 100 yards of you (which is still damn accurate), that doesn't exactly help you in a fight. Finally, you'd need your weapon on-demand. Doesn't do you any good to need a spear and then have your ship take a minute or more to get it to you.

It seems interesting, though. Me, I'd just claim your character has all of those weapons on her back at once. Sword in scabbard, shield on back, spear and axe secured under shield, bow slung over shoulders, quiver on opposite hip, knives in their sheathes on a belt.

[Image: manatarms.jpg]

If we're weaponizing airships, though, why not just put a cannon on it and call the thing a predator drone?

RE: Personal airships modifications - Warren Castille - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 09:40 AM)Dogberry Wrote: If we're weaponizing airships, though, why not just put a cannon on it and call the thing a predator drone?

Thanks, Dogbama.

RE: Personal airships modifications - Jana - 01-02-2015

Drone Cannon is something Jana would probably do.

I do RP her as carrying more than one weapon at a time when she's outside of town or in uniform, but it's not come up very often. After being "ambushed" while minimally armed, she might have to start packing heat in more situations though. Just because the model can't show it doesn't mean you can't have sword on your hip and a weapon on your back, knife in your boot, etc.

RE: Personal airships modifications - Titor - 01-02-2015

(01-02-2015, 08:54 AM)Dogberry Wrote: If it is not manned, is your character a magitek genius, essentially Nikolai Tesla, Alexander Graham Bell, Charles Babbage, and Alan Turing rolled into one? Then they should be commended for creating the first true AI in Eorzea.
Mammets are AIs.
The Allagan have had various AIs
Really, programming something that just follows you around and drops a specific thing on a voice command is not too hard in the real world, I am sure with aether it would be not that hard in Eorzea.

(01-02-2015, 04:16 PM)Titor Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 08:54 AM)Dogberry Wrote: If it is not manned, is your character a magitek genius, essentially Nikolai Tesla, Alexander Graham Bell, Charles Babbage, and Alan Turing rolled into one? Then they should be commended for creating the first true AI in Eorzea.
Mammets are AIs.
The Allagan have had various AIs
Really, programming something that just follows you around and drops a specific thing on a voice command is not too hard in the real world, I am sure with aether it would be not that hard in Eorzea.

There's AI as depicted in game, and then there's AI that someone with a bit of reason would want launching weapons from the sky at them. The Mammets are played as buggy and strange for laughs, to illustrate that the tech just isn't there.

The Allagans had AI, but they're gone. Getting that back is going to take a Babbage or a Turing.

RE: Personal airships modifications - Kellach Woods - 01-02-2015

In so far as customizing airships, I'd say...

Look up We Fly High (Squawkin') for why you would want to do that.