Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Request: Mentors and RP Pals! (/showthread.php?tid=9593)

Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Higura - 01-08-2015

Good afternoon!

Considering I've gotten into Balmung after nearly two weeks of waiting, I suddenly realized that I have nary a clue as to how to play this game, or use its features and functions to help with a conducive roleplay environment. So I'm kindly seeking a person/s to help show me the ropes of the Roleplaying world, and help me understand how game mechanics can help.

In short; Seeking Mentor/Teacher. (I have a good ten years of experience! Yet, this game is awkward to play, though fun.)

As for my Character himself, he has recently shipwrecked himself Eorzea from another land. So if there were any people about who wouldn't mind roleplaying with a relatively grumpy character, who is hellbent on going home, and has a distaste for pirates, feel free to add me in-game, or... whatever people do!

I hope I get to meet some people!

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

I'm sure several of us would be willing to help out - myself included.

I would also recommend hunting down one of our many Linkshells, that way you'll have a quick channel to ask questions or for help with mechanics or content!

My little Chachan sticks mainly to Ul'dah (and around Limsa from time to time)... but I'm sure he'd be happy to halp a new friend! Thumbsup

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Atoli - 01-08-2015

I'd also be willing to help! Feel free to toss me a PM or tell in game and I'll do what I can! :D

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Higura - 01-08-2015

I'll do what I can to message the both of you! Is there a recommended Linkshell to join for newbies? Or.. is it just whatever I think would be best? I also totally forgot about the Wiki! I'll have to look at that more.

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Gegenji - 01-08-2015

My best recommendation would be to check out the Linkshells tab here on RPC and see which ones you're most interested in. I bet any of them would be willing to help along a newcomer.

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Warren Castille - 01-08-2015

If you're active in/around Ul'dah, there's a pretty active social group called Friends of Momodi that's basically always on the prowl for new sacrifices blood friends.

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-08-2015

Pretty much any that interest you! 

I'm usually able to help out with game mechanic/forum/wiki questions as well, since I pretty much live on this site. (and messing around wiki code is an excellent way to make it look like I'm working while not working at work).

A couple commands you'll probably enjoy in-game.

/tell <player name here, including space>: Sends a whisper/PM to that character, if they are not marked with /busy or in an instanced server/duty.

/emotelist : Brings up the massive emote list. Each emote will show you the text command too

/em : the "custom emote" command. If you've used the /me command in an IM chat, it works the same way.

/say, /yell, /shout, /party, /ls<number>, /fc, /a : these are your commands to switch through different chat styles. You can either type it before every line, or type the command first, and then direct input after.

/say: common chat. White text by default

/yell: local-area chat. Yellow text by default

/shout: entire map(?) Orange text by default

/party: party/group chat. Blue text by default

/ls<number: Linkshell chat. You can have up to 8 of them. The number matters. These are chat groups effectively. Light-ish green by default.

/fc: Free Company (guild) chat. Most treat it like another Linkshell, although many FCs will also have an additional LS for either chat with people not in the FC or for RP purposes. Grey-ish-blue by default.

/a : Alliance chat. This is used in the 24-person raids and Frontline PvP. It's red by default.

You can adjust your chat logs/filters/colors in the Character settings. On keyoard/mouse controls, this is by pressing K.

From my experience, most chat for RP falls under /say, /party, /em and sometimes /ls. Good luck!

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Higura - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 02:41 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you're active in/around Ul'dah, there's a pretty active social group called Friends of Momodi that's basically always on the prowl for new sacrifices blood friends.
 Would it be possible to join this group if I'm not currectly active around Ul'dah? It's probably my next destination for my Gladiator stuff. (...I'm sure Gladiator is in that city.) I'm kind of fond of pirates though, so I'm debating on whether or not to stick around Limsa Lominsa for a while for quests, or whatever.

And you! Unnamed Mercenary! You're awesome! That's totally a list of commands I was having trouble looking up online. Thank you so much!

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-08-2015

(01-08-2015, 02:57 PM)Higura Wrote:
(01-08-2015, 02:41 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you're active in/around Ul'dah, there's a pretty active social group called Friends of Momodi that's basically always on the prowl for new sacrifices blood friends.
 Would it be possible to join this group if I'm not currectly active around Ul'dah? It's probably my next destination for my Gladiator stuff. (...I'm sure Gladiator is in that city.) I'm kind of fond of pirates though, so I'm debating on whether or not to stick around Limsa Lominsa for a while for quests, or whatever.

And you! Unnamed Mercenary! You're awesome! That's totally a list of commands I was having trouble looking up online. Thank you so much!

Friends of Momodi is open to all. It has only one rule I know of: "Don't be grumpy all the time". -> So basically, be awesome. Be nice. The group can get a little....heated, but the people mean well. It is also a "free to come and go" linkshell. Need an add, do a /shout by the Quicksand, and there's likely a person who can add you. (Or poke me on Franz Renatus, and I'll fire an invite).

As for commands, there are so so many more. I'll see if I can find a list. I coulda sworn SquareEnix posted one.

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Sounsyy - 01-08-2015

Yar, pirates!

Welcome to Balmung and Limsa! Feel free to look me up in game or walk-up RP if you see me around. Name's Sounsyy Mirke and she's a Maelstrom Captain in Limsa.

Also, if you need Lore help or Tank mechanic helps, feel free to message me here or in game! (Wasn't sure if class/job was included in game mechanics help or not?)

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - FloriaRaine - 01-08-2015

Hello person i totally didn't drag to balmung, i'd be happy to help or rp if i'm ever online.

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Gone. - 01-08-2015

Will gladly help with dungeons, RP, etc. You need only send a /tell. c:

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Higura - 01-09-2015

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll certainly try to send you people /tells in game, or I'll send private messages here on the forums if I have any questions/concerns. I'm certainly enjoying the game thus far. (And hush, you, Floria, you already know we'll be hanging out at some point.)

RE: Request: Mentors and RP Pals! - Duskwright - 01-09-2015

I'd be glad to mentor you throughout content, but don't ask me to mentor you in RP in anyway. xD I don't consider myself to be any teachery type when it comes to RP/Lore. If you want my 2cents, I can toss it your way but thats all, I can do there. ^^; My main character is Rathys Daystar and then my main RP character is V'arimbeh Nitsah. So feel free to hit either of those for Content/RP~! I need some more RP buddies myself. hehe