Hydaelyn Role-Players
Where do I start? :D - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Where do I start? :D (/showthread.php?tid=9754)

Pages: 1 2

Where do I start? :D - Bontee - 01-21-2015

Alrightee, so I think I'm finally all set up. I have designed a character (am in the process of getting it all in writing) and FINALLY got in to Balmung. That said, I am very new to the game, (couple of days) but I would like to get into RP as soon as possible (for immersion as well as developing the character further). The problem is, with such little experience with the game, I don't know where to start, or where to go to start. I am unsure how to apply to a FC, or how to join a linkshell, I have looked at various threads here as well as looked it up, I have a feeling it's something simple I'm overlooking, but I can't seem to find anything...

Anyways! What should I do next to get started with some in-game RP? How do I go about finding/joining a linkshell/FC?

...sorry if this is in the wrong area, I didn't want to keep asking this stuff in the "Welcome!" section...

I'm currently attempting to build up my profile here with as much relevant information as possible (an avatar of my character is next), so I'll be around... Big Grin

Thank you! Moogle

RE: Where do I start? :D - Gegenji - 01-21-2015

FCs and Linkshells are simple enough to explain once you get to that. You'll probably get a few FC invites as you play just because people will notice you don't have one.

My main recommendation is to just proceed with the main story of the game up until you unlock the ability to travel between the three major cities. A lot of the base gameplay mechanics are explained during that and should help get you up to speed in playing the game itself.

As for RP, the usual recommended place to lurk around to see other people RP and perhaps be pulled into some of your own is the Quicksand - where the Adventurer's Guild in Ul'dah is housed. If you start your character in Ul'dah, you'll be directed there to speak to Momodi right off the bat, though you will still be directed there anyway in the MSQ if you're not as part of gaining access to all three cities.

Once you're there, just see what everyone is doing. They'll be talking, emoting, and all that. I'm usually around there on Chachanji, so if you see the little green-haired Lala running around there, I'd be more than willing to help out with some beginner RP.

And even if I'm not there, I'm sure someone will be around and willing to interact with you.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Warren Castille - 01-21-2015

I'm going to let you in on a well-kept secret when it comes to joining groups.

First, open your chat command. Then type the following:

/t Warren Castille Hey, I heard there are some friendly linkshells and/or FCs around. Can you invite me?

This is a Konami-grade code, so keep it on the quiet side.

...In all seriousness, just asking is a great first step. If your character is centered in/around Ul'dah, Friends of Momodi is a great "there's a million people online all the time and they're all talking oh god" place to hang out. If you're not around Ul'dah, we don't exactly care and will take you anyway! We all try to be pretty helpful.

If you saw a group you wanted to join, don't be afraid to send PMs on the forums or tells in game. It's not as scary as it seems, I promise.

As for starting to RP, you could try jumping into a forum post here? Establish a thread in the Making Connections board? It's up to you how involved you want to be, but most of us don't bite, and those of us who do have our shots.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Y'lani - 01-21-2015

First of all, welcome!

There are a few linkshells I could recommend, but I don't want to advertise! The Tavern has been helping me immensely with finding people who also like to roleplay, but I'm sure there are many other amazing linkshells out there that serve the same purpose. The Linkshells tab of the forums is a wonderful resource to find the type of limkshell you're interested in. As for Free Companies, my recommendation (take it as you will) is to join a PvE one as you level until you find one that suits your character for the long-run.

Just my two cents! If you ever need somebody for roleplay or chatting, you can message me (Y'lani Kalihd) in-game whenever I'm online. Big Grin

RE: Where do I start? :D - Unnamed Mercenary - 01-21-2015

Hi and welcome to the game!

Linkshells:
PVE: You can have up to 8 of these. You can either make one in an existing city to invite people to, or others can invite you. One can be invited to a linkshell by either selecting the given player character or by using the Player Search. (It'll give a list)
RP: At least within the scope of the RPC, linkshells come in about 3 varieties:
  • RP Linkshells that are In-Character
  • General Linkshells (OOC chat)
  • Linkshells with some other particular focus: Like getting into dungeons, hunts, raids, etc.
Game-Usage: You can select a linkshell in char by its number. /ls#, where # is the number of the linkshell. Your chat log will display the linkshell number text has come from.

Free Companies:
PVE: Free Companies are basically guilds of players. They can be used for IC or OOC reasons, and high-ranking ones have the option to get houses.
RP: Some Free Companies are actual organizations in-game. 
Game-Usage: FCs will give you anothe chat option with /fc. One can be invited the same way as a linkshell.

Fun Note: you can find RP-related Linkshells and Free Companies in the section above. Only the active ones are listed.

With the recent 2.5 patch out as of Tuesday, most players on the server are probably running around doing content, including a decent chunk of the RPers. Commonly populated places for RP may act a little differently than usual.

If you've got any questions about the game, how to use some of the game features, RP or how to use RPC's awesome features, ask away here! A lot of us live on the forums and can likely answer it.

Lemme add an older post with some in-game chat commands commonly used with RP.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=9593&pid=135779#pid135779

RE: Where do I start? :D - Caspar - 01-23-2015

If you're new, send me a message or friend request and I'll gladly give you some pointers. I'm looking for LS too, so we're in the same boat there, but this is my second character. ^_^'

RE: Where do I start? :D - SessionZero - 01-23-2015

Welcome to the game! As was mentioned before, best way to start is by doing the MSQ (Main Story Quests) up till you get airship access to all three cities. It doesn't take very long and will prove tremendously helpful for participating in and garnering RP. 

Warren and Franz both provided very helpful tips when it comes to finding Linkshells (LS) and Free Companies (FC), but one thing to bear in mind is that a FC is not vital to finding RP. In fact, I'd wager having multiple LS is vastly more helpful in finding and facilitating RP in the game, so don't sweat finding a FC right away. FCs are better at providing a centralized spot for like-minded RPers to gather and for providing buffs and places to craft, both of which come more in handy later in your progression. So for now, I'd say focus on gathering some LS that interest you and getting to level 15-20. It will help tremendously. Of course you're free to ignore me and do whatever the hell you want, that's perfectly fine as well Wink

Side note, feel free to /tell Reilan Orycia in-game for RP or help with early game content. I'm always willing to help.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Bontee - 01-23-2015

Thank you all for the tips, help and advice! I have since joined one OOC LS, and am still looking for some kind of RP... I'm almost level 20 now, so I assume it'll get easier to find a FC or something then.

As someone who is very shy and has little (but growing) knowledge of the game's lore, I'm a little nervous when it comes to applying for anything (applying for a FC through the forum when I'm so new just seems... Unlikely to me that I'd be accepted) but I've definitely felt very welcome here, and I appreciate it a lot. Moogle

What I mean to say is... Thanks! Big Grin

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kurt S. - 01-23-2015

(01-23-2015, 07:31 PM)Bontee Wrote: Thank you all for the tips, help and advice! I have since joined one OOC LS, and am still looking for some kind of RP... I'm almost level 20 now, so I assume it'll get easier to find a FC or something then.

As someone who is very shy and has little (but growing) knowledge of the game's lore, I'm a little nervous when it comes to applying for anything (applying for a FC through the forum when I'm so new just seems... Unlikely to me that I'd be accepted) but I've definitely felt very welcome here, and I appreciate it a lot. Moogle

An FC makes it easier to find RPs as well even get sucked into existing storylines really...But that's just speculation on my part XD. I assume though, I'm also on the same boat as you, I just can't seem to eat my nervousness and apply to an FC via the forums so you're not alone there. But a Link Shell works just as fine as an FC too. 

I'm also on the same boat with regards to lore but then there's that player Sounsy(ssy?), she's your go to person if you want to learn lore, really. 

Anyways welcome! Since I prolly missed your hello thread or something Big Grin

RE: Where do I start? :D - Sounsyy - 01-23-2015

(01-23-2015, 07:41 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 07:31 PM)Bontee Wrote: As someone who is very shy and has little (but growing) knowledge of the game's lore, I'm a little nervous
I'm also on the same boat with regards to lore but then there's that player Sounsy(ssy?), she's your go to person if you want to learn lore, really.

[Image: iLFKd42.png]

Um, yes, if you have any lore questions feel free to ask! ^^; I'm not always on Balmung so best place to reach me is on the RPC via PM or making a post on the RPC forums.

Yar, welcome to FFXIV! =D

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kurt S. - 01-23-2015

(01-23-2015, 08:34 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 07:41 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 07:31 PM)Bontee Wrote: As someone who is very shy and has little (but growing) knowledge of the game's lore, I'm a little nervous

[Image: iLFKd42.png]

Um, yes, if you have any lore questions feel free to ask! ^^; I'm not always on Balmung so best place to reach me is on the RPC via PM or making a post on the RPC forums.

Wow I messed up the spelling -prepares to be on her shitlist forever I keed-

RE: Where do I start? :D - Caspar - 01-23-2015

(01-23-2015, 07:31 PM)Bontee Wrote: Thank you all for the tips, help and advice! I have since joined one OOC LS, and am still looking for some kind of RP... I'm almost level 20 now, so I assume it'll get easier to find a FC or something then.

Don't worry. There are a lot of FC out there, and I think there are plenty who would only expect you to be polite and pleasant to be around. I think you should try to join one if you see any that are recruiting and seem like something your character would fit into well.

They could also help you advance quickly, haha.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kellach Woods - 01-24-2015

(01-23-2015, 08:34 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Um, yes, if you have any lore questions feel free to ask! ^^; I'm not always on Balmung so best place to reach me is on the RPC via PM or making a post on the RPC forums.

Otherwise known as /Sounsyysignal

If you need fabulous and absurd outfits, I am your man.

And yes, Free Companies have access to several magnitude of buffs to help their members out. From straight up more XP, to more Grand Company seals to even less damage on gear! That is just one of their numerous advantages beyond having a group of people to play with at your fingertips.

RE: Where do I start? :D - Bontee - 01-25-2015

Hmm... The issue I'm having now is... er... Well, I've met a lot of nice and awesome people, and lots of people are willing to help me advance, but I'm now able to go to the other main cities and such, and... I can access the main game content just fine and people are always friendly and willing to help, but when it comes to RP, I just can't find anyone in-game... I found that "quicksand" place, but... No one noticed me, and I am really shy, so... I dunno, I'm just having trouble with it all. I joined an OOC linkshell, but I can't find any in-character ones, or any FC at all... (Plus the nature of my character, he's supposed to be shy, so it's difficult to initiate any dialogue because of that as well Sad)

I don't know, it may just be that I'm new, or not looking in the right places... (and the extreme shyness doesn't help either...) but thank you for all the help and advice you guys have given me so far Big Grin I really appreciate it! Moogle

RE: Where do I start? :D - Kurt S. - 01-25-2015

(01-25-2015, 05:35 AM)Bontee Wrote: Hmm... The issue I'm having now is... er... Well, I've met a lot of nice and awesome people, and lots of people are willing to help me advance, but I'm now able to go to the other main cities and such, and... I can access the main game content just fine and people are always friendly and willing to help, but when it comes to RP, I just can't find anyone in-game... I found that "quicksand" place, but... No one noticed me, and I am really shy, so... I dunno, I'm just having trouble with it all. I joined an OOC linkshell, but I can't find any in-character ones, or any FC at all... (Plus the nature of my character, he's supposed to be shy, so it's difficult to initiate any dialogue because of that as well Sad)

I don't know, it may just be that I'm new, or not looking in the right places... (and the extreme shyness doesn't help either...) but thank you for all the help and advice you guys have given me so far Big Grin I really appreciate it! Moogle
TL;DR TELL TO WIN!

LOOK FOR KEIL AMALLE RIGHT NOW. IF YOU'RE ONLINE.

Player Search him, should be under the social tab thingy, just press 'p' and go to player search right now and go send him a /tell any /tell and I will find you!

In any case, just go out there and send a tell to someone, they don't bite especially if they are from here. At least that's all you have to do. Exhaust your options, take the plunge and just shoot a tell or even walk up and start an IC conversation out of the blue, okay so that's just not possible since your character is shy. Same way Keil can't RP with anyone because he locks up or get tense around other miqo'te and everyone knows 90% of Eorzea are miqo'te!

You know you can also send a tell to me and I will drop whatever fate, quest, whatever I'm doing and port to your face with an idea most of the time. If I had your IGN and a list of times you're on, I will personally look for you and engage in jolly cooperation...I mean RP. Timezones be damned!

As for the Quicksand, well despite the fact that everyone is there, cliques are formed and that usually means anyone not of the group is going to have hard time getting an RP. My advice, look for people standing around and alone, approach em with a tell see if they want to RP. They're bored and probably just as shy as you are. It all starts with "/tell *player name* Hi, do you want to RP? Maybe we can bounce ideas around?" or something like it and can grow exponentially from there!

I also know how daunting it is when everyone seems to be with someone and you just can't find that lone whatever doing the same thing you're doing and feeling the same as well. It'd be rude to interject yourself into their conversation regardless of how interesting it is to your character, which is why /tells are there. It takes a lot of courage but tells are there exactly so you can ask permission to join among other things.

I know the feeling of not being noticed, it sucks and I will do what I can to make sure you have yourself a fun time RPing.

Sorry if I sound so passionate about this. I was someone who went in here, knew no one, worked, sweated, /telled and got either ignored completely or got stood up mid-way through an RP. I was shy too, so here's a amateurtip: Just think: "This person is just as shy as I am and I just need to make the first move to make the magic happen! That's why they're just standing there."

TL;DR TELL TO WIN!