Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Berrod Armstrong - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:57 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 03:46 PM)Iex Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 03:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: One may need to appeal to others to nourish that sort of initiative, and it seems that the poster in question is determined to do anything but.

ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!

I am a firm believer that it is not the culture that defines the character. While aspects of a race should certainly brush some tone over their perspective of life and choices, it should not be the tool that chips away their monument of their life.

Unless, their life was in a highly regulated cultural thing.... then I guess uh?

However, I am also a firm believer that it is the life the character lives that will define how they are. A certain seeker we all know that likes his towers certainly isn't falling into tradition. If a character has lived a life where tradition and culture more... common to his race has less weight, he shouldn't actually end up being SUPER TRADITIONAL MAN. If he is, it should be a choice he makes based on his life rather than an archetype placed on the character.

In the case of my highlander... he may be from a certain lost nation that was destroyed by a certain mad leader, but he holds very little on to traditions and nationalism. This is HIS Eorzea not the land of men who now lay six feet underground.

Culture does not equate to species or race.  Culture is usually more locative, though not necessarily (ex - some indigenous cultures in eastern russia and western alaska share more similarities than differences).  All the same, the larger the disparity in place/local ecology/method of survival (nomadic cultures vs farming cultures etc) chances are the bigger the gap in cultures.

Culture is also the baseline of what everyone knows in terms of how they act around others and what they grew up believing.  It defines certain behaviors.  While, yes, as you get older you can choose to overrule some of these things, a lot of them stick with you.  Were you taught that you should have a firm handshake?  Look other people in the eyes when you talk to them?  Greet people when you enter a room?  Wish people well on an endeavor?  Be comforting when someone you know is grieving?  Those are all cultural, and there are a ton more.  This is why diplomats are so important -- it can be terrifyingly easy to offend someone from a different culture without realizing it.  Many cultures share similarities, true, and those similarities increase as globalization occurs, but just look back to first attempts at diplomacy between cultures to see how this wasn't the case (Lord Macartney's trip to China being a big one).

which is why I was like 'screw u square' and tossed just about everything written about keeper culture. Tongue
While I would agree with this in general, if a fantasy universe defines a certain race by it's culture...I wouldn't really bother to disagree with it. What culture IS can change depending on how a world is crafted. I don't think this is what Square has done really, but it's something to note in terms of creating a whole world!

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Bopdoot - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 03:26 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 03:21 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 03:13 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 02:43 PM)Zhavi Wrote: When I want more of something (and I'm not finding it hard to rp like I am at the moment), I work to create a space where that sort of thing can flourish.  

I never thought of that before! I'll just hop back on my male Keeper Miqo'te and start a traditional clan based group that's highly matria-

Whoops.
What, exactly, is stopping you from making a Making Connections thread wanting to gather people to buck societal trends? I mean, there's a god damned Garlean FC and you're upset there's not a pre-existing off-beat RP culture for you? I said it in another thread today and it stands: Nobody here is obligated to cater their precious RP time serving someone else's need for a story. You want a traditional clan-based RP group? Then gtfo of the cities and go back to not being a part of traditional Eorzean society.

Whoops. No one's allowed to judge me, I've got my reasons for being more blunt than others.
One may need to appeal to others to nourish that sort of initiative, and it seems that the poster in question is determined to do anything but.

ANYWAY. HIGHLANDERS. I'M CURIOUS. How do you roleplay your characters? Well-integrated into their respective pieces of Eorzea? Clinging to the ol' warrior tribe in the mountain ways? As pretty princesses? TELL ALL!

Well I'm still working on the story with the person playing Amelia's brother, but so far we like the idea of striving for physical superiority as an apex accomplishment and perhaps a hint of race superiority over the small midlanders?... Though both of us are kind of learning lore as we go, so things will probably change a bit. Huh

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 04:00 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 03:57 PM)Zhavi Wrote: Culture does not equate to species or race.  Culture is usually more locative, though not necessarily (ex - some indigenous cultures in eastern russia and western alaska share more similarities than differences).  All the same, the larger the disparity in place/local ecology/method of survival (nomadic cultures vs farming cultures etc) chances are the bigger the gap in cultures.

Culture is also the baseline of what everyone knows in terms of how they act around others and what they grew up believing.  It defines certain behaviors.  While, yes, as you get older you can choose to overrule some of these things, a lot of them stick with you.  Were you taught that you should have a firm handshake?  Look other people in the eyes when you talk to them?  Greet people when you enter a room?  Wish people well on an endeavor?  Be comforting when someone you know is grieving?  Those are all cultural, and there are a ton more.  This is why diplomats are so important -- it can be terrifyingly easy to offend someone from a different culture without realizing it.  Many cultures share similarities, true, and those similarities increase as globalization occurs, but just look back to first attempts at diplomacy between cultures to see how this wasn't the case (Lord Macartney's trip to China being a big one).

which is why I was like 'screw u square' and tossed just about everything written about keeper culture. Tongue
While I would agree with this in general, if a fantasy universe defines a certain race by it's culture...I wouldn't really bother to disagree with it. What culture IS can change depending on how a world is crafted. I don't think this is what Square has done really, but it's something to note in terms of creating a whole world!

Saying a whole species is locked to one specific culture is bollocks. There is nothing else to support the fact that any of the species in this game is biologically locked to behaving in a certain way in any cultural sense. It's not done on purpose, it's because culture in most fantasy is a flavor footnote used to accomplish certain things plot wise. It should not become the guideline for how all members of that species should act -- especially when there are npcs in game who aren't wholly attached to that 'culture' thing.

edit - and just for clarification, I'm not angry or upset or anything. I just have very loud and boisterous opinions on this particular matter. Tongue

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Du'lance Fiourtune - 01-28-2015

My Miqo'te character would make your heads explode, M'iraak Nuhn, and I am clan-less, harem-less, nor did I have to fight another for title of Huhn....

*mind.....blown*

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Bopdoot - 01-28-2015

I suppose I generally stand with those saying people can RP how they want and if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to RP with them.  In a community this size, that seems the most valid conclusion.

On the other hand, I'll speak as someone coming from relatively smaller RP communities on Neverwinter Nights, where the whole server is made up of 30 people at most online simultaneously.

You are absolutely entitled to break your race/class/socioeconomic/etc norms.  It's a good idea to include reasoning, but that is honestly at your discretion. That being said, especially in smaller RP communities, there is a certain resistance to and perhaps even a stigma with too many "snowflakes".  If everyone is special, you can lose some immersion in the story you are playing in.  Like playing a server with a plot centered on Amn and Athkatla and everyone wants to play a friendly do gooder tiefling.. or all the aasimar being evil. 

Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come across judgmental.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 04:49 PM)Bopdoot Wrote: I suppose I generally stand with those saying people can RP how they want and if you don't like it, no one is forcing you to RP with them.  In a community this size, that seems the most valid conclusion.

On the other hand, I'll speak as someone coming from relatively smaller RP communities on Neverwinter Nights, where the whole server is made up of 30 people at most online simultaneously.

You are absolutely entitled to break your race/class/socioeconomic/etc norms.  It's a good idea to include reasoning, but that is honestly at your discretion. That being said, especially in smaller RP communities, there is a certain resistance to and perhaps even a stigma with too many "snowflakes".  If everyone is special, you can lose some immersion in the story you are playing in.  Like playing a server with a plot centered on Amn and Athkatla and everyone wants to play a friendly do gooder tiefling.. or all the aasimar being evil. 

Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't come across judgmental.

I think it makes sense, but I think some communities are too closeminded and rigid. My main rp squeeze (when I'm more active) is a community of 20-30 people. We have our established setting, the main place the rp happens, and there is a lot of rigidity in that setting. But, as long as you explain it, as long as it makes sense for the setting (it's medieval fantasy with a touch of steampunk -- we once had someone try to play a silver wristwatch wearing, sawed-off shotgun toting werewolf, which really, really didn't work with the setting), we'll work with you. Sometimes that means people have to play alts. Sometimes that means extensive use of npcs -- but when it comes to rping a species, to say that you cannot do this because there are too many people doing that already -- nahhh, man. I'd rather rp with other people, in that case. Tongue

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Vysce the Lad - 01-28-2015

Caen uses his ears, nose, and tail all the time in rp. I admit he acts more like a hyur than he should because I offed his family when Dalamud fell and his guardians have been different people in Ul'dah. He's very much a miqo'te still~

Moogle

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Faye - 01-28-2015

To add to the initial post, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this--but some people simply prefer using short, non-descriptive posts. That's to say, if someone is playing a Miqo'te and doesn't mention ear/tail movements in their posts, it doesn't mean these movements aren't happening. Sure, this is why it's good to write clear, descriptive posts so everyone is on the same page about what's happening in the RP, but at the end of the day, it's just not everyone's personal taste or forte.

While descriptiveness adds greatly to the RP, to say that someone who doesn't mention these things in their posts is just RPing "a Hyur with cat ears and tail" is inaccurate because if the same person were playing a Hyur, they still may not describe facial expressions and body language, and you likely wouldn't accuse them of playing, idk, "a walking, talking cardboard cutout of a human" for the same thing.

I will say that I do understand, though, where allgivenover is coming from. I don't necessarily consider it as problematic or rampant is his quote in the first post implies, but I do see plenty of people RPing Miqo'te as nothing more "catgirl/catboy cosplay" as a vessel to live out there weeaboo and/or harem fantasies. But, people are gonna RP however they wanna RP, and more power to 'em I guess. There will always be people who give no fucks about the lore. There's no way we can make them follow it, and shaming them about it is mean-spirited and a waste of time, so it's best to just ignore/avoid those who don't follow the lore or our personal interpretations of it.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

I never, ever remember to post eating/drinking.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - SessionZero - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 06:29 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I never, ever remember to post eating/drinking.

This. More than once my characters have gotten hammered without a single emote about drinking the alcohol in front of them.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aya - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 06:10 PM)Faye Wrote: To add to the initial post, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this--but some people simply prefer using short, non-descriptive posts. That's to say, if someone is playing a Miqo'te and doesn't mention ear/tail movements in their posts, it doesn't mean these movements aren't happening. Sure, this is why it's good to write clear, descriptive posts so everyone is on the same page about what's happening in the RP, but at the end of the day, it's just not everyone's personal taste or forte.
This is so true.  I could turn every emote into a page of text if I wished.  But the line has to be drawn somewhere depending upon context, especially in the case of public RP.

Very nice Faye :-]

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Chris Ganale - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 04:34 PM)M Wrote: My Miqo'te character would make your heads explode, M'iraak Nuhn, and I am clan-less, harem-less, nor did I have to fight another for title of Huhn....

*mind.....blown*
Well, I was going for least lore-applicable miqo but I think you won.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Faye - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 06:29 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I never, ever remember to post eating/drinking.

Same ;A; I usually mention my character getting a drink/meal, and then forget to mention it in every post afterward... whoops.

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Kage - 01-28-2015

A lot of the times I did RP as Miqo'te I'd do things, forgetting to add maybe a small detail but then realized... it was small and felt redundant.

And then... how many times are you going to really RP out ordering a drink, drinking it, and then getting more? over... and over... and over...

RE: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Aya - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 06:39 PM)Kage Wrote: A lot of the times I did RP as Miqo'te I'd do things, forgetting to add maybe a small detail but then realized... it was small and felt redundant.

And then... how many times are you going to really RP out ordering a drink, drinking it, and then getting more? over... and over... and over...
As often as you want the barmaid to come over and talk to you, in my experience! ^_^