Hydaelyn Role-Players
My Life Finally Begins Here - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: My Life Finally Begins Here (/showthread.php?tid=9850)

Pages: 1 2

My Life Finally Begins Here - Ludger - 01-29-2015

Hello, I'm very new here. This is probably the first time I ever post in forum since....ever. I stalked forums but I never joined in or create a welcome thread.

Warning: Being an emotional writer, I'm just pouring my emotions right now XD. So please skip this part all the way to the empty spaces.

I...could not express how much joy I have to finally create a character on the Balmung Server. I have heard for days that this is the RP server and I just wanted so badly to be part of the world. I don't know what to say about myself except that I'm just new...at everything actually.

I have at best minimal RP experience with my online friend for the past five years only by the use of instant messages. My friend's a crazed fan of MMPORG but she would never play or start any games unless I play with her. I played a free online MMPORG game with her once. While it went well for her, it does not end well for me. Being an introvert, I found myself at the bad sides of impatient players. Soon enough, my friend quit playing that game because I was not there. I cherished her loyalty and friendship to no end.

I'm a huge fan of RPG games. She convinced me to play FFXIV with her and I did. I had created a character on the server with her a month ago. It was fun at first but it was not just for me. We joined an EU server solely because her friends were there. They were nice people and have their own small Free Company but I still felt like I do not belong there. The people of FC were her friends, not mine. I could talk to my friend but with others, I felt like an outcast. That's when I was longing for that wonderful feeling of RP.

For the past week, I did light research...well...very light...I haven't read the Lore yet. I just simply type in FFXIV RP and eventually I came to this forum. I basically stalked around, not having any clue of what I should be looking at. So I figured I'll create a character first. And so I have been waiting like a vulture for the RP server to finally open. When I saw a maintenance news, I just had a thought...just maybe right after 2 AM, it'll finally open. And so, I stayed up late even though I should have slept early for my morning Uni classes. I just couldn't miss this chance. Exactly at 2 AM, I just click Data Center and just goes from there. I simply selected Balmung and proceed to character creation. I couldn't believe my eyes as I spent almost a hour trying to create an ideal RP character. Am I really in the Balmung server? As soon I talked to the Guildmaster, I was immediately bombarded by people RPing right in the Adventurer's Hall. I still couldn't believe my eyes. I just had to log out and see for sure that I'm really in Balmung server. Tears just came to my eyes (Yes, I'm a softie XD) and I'm just beyond thrilled that I can at last being my RP life.

Um wow, that was long. Well putting that out of the way, I literally have no experience on MMORPG RP. I do have experience RPing over instant messages with my friend and that's just it. I'm hoping that if there are anyone here willing to guide me. You can treat my character with amnesia if you must. I'm willing to be the servant or puppy if that's your kink ;D.

While I have not read the lore and not sure what to do from here (heck I don't even know to use forums or wiki. Heck I don't even have FB account XD). I'm positive that my character will be sensitive, soft-hearted, and eager to learn anything. I'll probably be an eager virgin if I have to get into that territory.

That being said, it's 4 am in the morning when I posted this XD. I gotta get to sleep for my lecture in four hours. I just wanna express my joy right away after character creation and hope for guidance from anyone here.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Kurt S. - 01-29-2015

Your enthusiasm I LIKE IT.

If you need help with your lore research. There's a certain user here who goes by the name sounsyy, she knows a LOT about the surrounding lore. 

Glad you could make it in here and may fortune favord your RPing life! My characters are all listed in my sig so if you run into them do say hi. Likewise I'll harass you too if I find you

WELCOME

OuO

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Steel Wolf - 01-29-2015

RP'ing via IM is pretty much how MMO RP works, except the chat box has a really pretty graphical world around it. ^u^

Welcome to Balmung at long last, and to the RPC and Eorzea in general. There's lots of folks able to help you out with lore stuffs, with Sounsy being the prime source. And as far as just RP'ing in general, just get out there and do it when you can! :D Sounds daunting as hell, believe me I know...but it's really the best way to get it going. Additionally, there's the Making Connections forum and several threads in the RP Discussion about how to get your foot in the door, so to speak.

Additionally, if you'd like some FemRoe in your circle, feel free to give me a poke whenever I'm around, which is usually 6-7pm EST. Or perhaps we'll interact in-forum here. In either case, welcome and here's hoping we get to play together.

Have fun! :D

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Warren Castille - 01-29-2015

If you speak her name, she appears. It's kind of spooky.

I'm glad your journey onto Balmung was relatively painless! It's been a nightmare recently so hopefully your good fortune lasts, and maybe rubs off on the rest of us.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Kellach Woods - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 09:01 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you speak her name, she appears. It's kind of spooky.

I'm glad your journey onto Balmung was relatively painless! It's been a nightmare recently so hopefully your good fortune lasts, and maybe rubs off on the rest of us.

Advanced search / show posts / search "Sounsyy"

if we hadn't made /sounsyysignal a thing this would not have happened! YOU ARE SPOOKED OF YOUR OWN VOLITION.

That being said, hello new person! Enthusiasm will carry you far here! You'll find most of the community is friendly and willing to help get you settled comfortably in your character.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Kurt S. - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 09:10 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 09:01 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: If you speak her name, she appears. It's kind of spooky.

Advanced search / show posts / search "Sounsyy"

if we hadn't made /sounsyysignal a thing this would not have happened! YOU ARE SPOOKED OF YOUR OWN VOLITION.

That being said, hello new person! Enthusiasm will carry you far here! You'll find most of the community is friendly and willing to help get you settled comfortably in your character.

This guy speaks the truth about enthusiasm. Got me to where I am.

AND IT WILL GET YOU TO WHERE I AM AND BEYOND.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Enzo - 01-29-2015

Having done a fair share of IM Rp, MMORPG Roleplay, and Board Roleplay. The only thing I can think of really different is that Board Roleplay and sometimes IM roleplay can have you playing any types of characters but most commonly heroes or people important to the story. While in a MMORPG roleplay you are still important to your own story. But interactions between players and people you don't know kind of take the spot light. Therefore in order to be respectful to others players often take the role of an everyman/woman. I.E. Just an average person living in the world.
The best thing you can do is is get accustomed to the lore the best you can, which is just a lot of reading and knowing where to read, and learning the basic rules of MMORPG roleplay. Then it is all up to you to design your characters backstory from there.

I strongly suggest reading the roleplay handbook if you have not already.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1770

Wiki's are also a good source of general information normally as well.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV
https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/
The way you use Wiki's is you search a specific key term you are looking for like "Miqo'te" or you go through the tabs and hotlinks (Normally blue letters you can click) like "Race's -> Miqo'te" to get where you are trying to go and they have quite the fair amount of information.

Lastly when you are scrubbed up on your basic lore. Post your idea for your character in the rp discussion and see what they think. Everyone here is extremely helpful and love to get new players settled in. Just remember to not make your character a Mary Sue (Good at everything, with no challenges or faults)

My suggestion for making a character is to identify specific traits about your character, then ask why those traits came to be. Come up with an explanation in your characters history that explains why he uses those traits now and why he is who he is. Like "Jimbob is smart" the reason: "Jimbob grew up in Limsa and frequented the Arcanists guild. Spending most of his evenings reading books or tomes which he borrowed and studying them extensively" If you want to get even more detailed you can further your questions by asking "Why did he spend so much time at the Arcanist's guild and not other places?" "Where did he even learn how to read?" "Why is Jimbob's family in Limsa and not a different city state?" and it makes a chain of backstory for your character to build off of. When it gets big enough all you will end up doing is filling in the blanks and you will have a fairly nice connected story.

A good resource for this method of backstory writing is the 100 questions to ask your RP character.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2688
I would suggest copy pasting it into a microsoft word file or even a notepad file and taking the time to fill it out when you are fairly caught up on your lore.

Lastly, when it comes to meeting people. Just ask. Wether it be in game or on the forums. As I said everyone is rather helpful and enjoy new roleplayers. If you explain your character and his roleplay style on the forums I am sure you will find some people that click and in game all it takes is sending a PM to someone you find interesting that you caught roleplaying, complement their roleplay style then say you would like to roleplay sometime together. Not EVERYONE will want to roleplay with you. Either because styles don't agree or because they can't think of a reason for your characters to hang out. But there is a lot of people on balmung and you will certainly find people if you keep trying.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Ligardian Dreamer - 01-29-2015

Awwww-ha-haaawwww, I feel for you Ludger! X3

Dude/dudette... You are -so- gonna love it here... You don't have to be lore-savvy, exactly, to roleplay (although knowing some things or two would indeed help~) with others... Trust me, I'm not so well-versed in it, myself but I see that it doesn't impede so much with my being able to roleplay with others!

I can relate to the introvert bit though... It can be a little tough when you're pretty shy... But I'm sure you'll have some people willing to approach you and all (might work, too, if you roleplay your own actions to yourself... But that's just me, I haven't done that so often myself). Either, I believe you don't have anything to worry about. Just try out the advices that the others here have given you regarding the lore.. Take advantage of the forums here and you'll be well on your way!

On that note, welcome! "May the path in the light of the crystal" be filled with many memories and experiences!

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Bahati - 01-29-2015

Aww, you are so sweet and I completely understand. My main is on a different server and I wasn't in love with the game per say. Once I finally got Lyrik onto Balmung, I'm starting to form an addiction. XD

Welcome! Feel free to walk right up to Lyrik, she's very friendly. Add her if you like as well. Happy RPing and I'm so glad you got on the server at last! It's an accomplishment in itself.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Sounsyy - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 08:56 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: If you need help with your lore research. There's a certain user here who goes by the name sounsyy, she knows a LOT about the surrounding lore. 
(01-29-2015, 09:01 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: There's lots of folks able to help you out with lore stuffs, with Sounsy being the prime source.
(01-29-2015, 09:10 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Advanced search / show posts / search "Sounsyy"

if we hadn't made /sounsyysignal a thing this would not have happened!

I... I don't even have to rep myself anymore. I like it! My work here is done.

[Image: Simpsons-walk-in-walk-out-whistling.gif]

In all seriousness- Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC! ^^ If you need any lore help feel free to PM me or make a thread! Hope I can help!

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Melodia - 01-29-2015

(01-29-2015, 12:08 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 08:56 AM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: If you need help with your lore research. There's a certain user here who goes by the name sounsyy, she knows a LOT about the surrounding lore. 
(01-29-2015, 09:01 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: There's lots of folks able to help you out with lore stuffs, with Sounsy being the prime source.
(01-29-2015, 09:10 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Advanced search / show posts / search "Sounsyy"

if we hadn't made /sounsyysignal a thing this would not have happened!

I... I don't even have to rep myself anymore. I like it! My work here is done.

[Image: Simpsons-walk-in-walk-out-whistling.gif]

In all seriousness- Welcome to Eorzea and the RPC! ^^ If you need any lore help feel free to PM me or make a thread! Hope I can help!
*Bows to the power of the Sounsyy*

side note- Welcome Smile

Other side note: You still have yet catch me afk Sounsyy. Wink

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Cliodhna Eoghan - 01-29-2015

awwww! *hugs and gives cookies* glad you were able to finally get here then. sounds like you've had it a little rough on your last server :/ as you can already see; lots of people on here are nice, friendly and open :3 feel free to send me a tell in game/run up if you see me. i'm usually up for a nice chat (also i'm usually willing to help with leveling here and there too if you need it o3o )

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Zhavi - 01-29-2015

You're adorable. Never be afraid to ask questions, and I hope your experience on Balmung is the bees knees.

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Roen - 01-29-2015

I agree with Zhavi. You are adorable. Welcome to Balmung!

RE: My Life Finally Begins Here - Spethah - 01-29-2015

Such enthusiasm is what I like to see! 

First of all, welcome to Balmung! Here is your complimentary cookie and personal name tag thingy. A lot of the lore comes from dialogue and quest information, so a good way to learn about Eorzea is to read. Shocking I know.

It might be a little scary and daunting at first, believe me I'm sure a lot of us can say the same, but with a little poking and some time I'm sure you'll find some RP and fun times with everyone! I'm trying that myself at the moment. Don't worry about going all out with backgrounds and stuff as well when making a character. Vivica has only one piece of information about her and she's grown so much because of it! Sometimes small and simple is the best. 

Anyway! If you ever need a shield swinging, man tripping door stop then just poke me! I'm a UK player (GMT), but you'll see me at the weirdest of times. Just ask Steel.