Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing (/showthread.php?tid=9999)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

[Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Faye - 02-06-2015

Moderator Edit:
Show Content
Does real life gender affect your preferential RP in any way, under certain circumstances?

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - Kage - 02-06-2015

You can just avoid stating what gender the player is behind the character.

I think some people still think I'm a guy after RPING as tiny Lala Kage for a while.

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - Melodia - 02-06-2015

I play both male and female characters and have encountered this and like Faye and Natalie have stated, it's a bit confusing. Who cares who's on the other end, as long you can engage in fun roleplay with a solid story or even an unsolid one if that's your bag.

I will say, I think that by stating you want a specific gener IRL you've soured your audience here. Not trying to be mean, just saying the facts as I know these folks. The story trumps the gender. And if that is a problem....you will likely have a problem getting what you want.

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - Faye - 02-06-2015

Quote:I mean this as respectfully, and as friendly as I can, but are you all missing the "PREFERABLY" part ???

I don't think anyone is trying to attack you, I just want to offer a bit of insight and advice. You said yourself you're new to RP. I just think you should take a step back and try to evaluate what RP is to you, and why you want to do it. Because what you're insinuating now to most of us doesn't sound entirely like RP, at least not like good RP etiquette, so it's a little off-putting and may make it difficult for you to find others to RP with since it seems you'd both want different things out of the RP.

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-06-2015

Quote:I mean this as respectfully, and as friendly as I can, but are you all missing the "PREFERABLY" part ???

It's still weird and creepy. Would you post 'Requesting White Person for RP'

"Guys, if you're playing a light skinned character, I just feel it's more immersive if you are white too."

Faye said it better, and if you're doing this from ignorance, that's fine, no one will hold it against you long term. But you should rethink some of those positions, they might just be the result of a bad RP or two, and not indicative of the community at large.

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - Seye Qhesu - 02-06-2015

I suppose it is sort of like me which is why I didn't question it. I don't care if it is a Male or female behind the character and I have no problem with same sex couples but I myself will not rp it. I just feel awkward trying. He my be the same and just not feel comfortable.

(02-06-2015, 03:35 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

"Guys, if you're playing a light skinned character, I just feel it's more immersive if you are white too."

^ Pretty much how it comes across to me, especially with the added "I can't relate to cats and Miqo'te are totally nothing but cats so I race-changed..." :s A great part of RP is exploring topics you don't fully understand or don't get to experience first-hand IRL. "Write what you know" is a common phrase. Sure, you should have a basic understanding of your character, and be able to relate to him/her. But it's not rocket science to have a basic understanding of how different genders/races/whatever typically act. Furthermore, your character shouldn't be totally defined by their gender, race, or some other demographic. They can and should still have plenty of others traits you can fully relate to.

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-06-2015

Quote:PREFERABLLY

Definition: Ideally, if possible.

Not that is has to be, its just PREFERED...

Several people have explained this very politely, but you just don't seem to want to listen.

We're not trying to be mean, we're trying to help. But as you say, you're free to prefer/do what you want. However you might not like how others react to those preferences/actions.

RE: Requesting Female/Woman for RP. - Zoetrooper - 02-06-2015

I'm getting weird flashbacks here! I've seen a situation similar to this explode in linkshells. Let's not allow this to explode, hmm? If the gender of the person behind the character is currently important to OP then so be it.

I'm female playing a male in game, does that mean people might not want to RP with me based on that? Probably, but I hope not!

Good RPers to fit your needs come from every gender. Try not to single them out!

(02-06-2015, 03:40 PM)Faye Wrote:
(02-06-2015, 03:35 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

^ Pretty much how it comes across to me, especially with the added "I can't relate to cats and Miqo'te are totally nothing but cats so I race-changed..." :s A great part of RP is exploring topics you don't fully understand or don't get to experience first-hand IRL. "Write what you know" is a common phrase. Sure, you should have a basic understanding of your character, and be able to relate to him/her. But it's not rocket science to have a basic understanding of how different genders/races/whatever typically act. Furthermore, your character shouldn't be totally defined by their gender, race, or some other demographic. They can and should still have plenty of others traits you can fully relate to.

We have tried to explain what's strange about it, you just keep shouting, "PREFERABLY!!!!" and aren't reading what we're saying. Angry And no, asking for "Preferably a bard" isn't weird, assuming you mean a bard IC, as I don't think any of us are bards OOC, just as asking for a female IC isn't weird. Asking for a female OOC kind of is. I'm not telling you that you need to change your opinion. RP however you want to RP. If you can't stand the thought of RPing with another dude, that's kinda weird bro, but you do you. I'm just trying to point out how it comes across as odd and is only narrowing your audience here...

RE: [Split Thread] Gender Behind the Writing - Melkire - 02-06-2015

[moderator hardhat]

Thread has been split off to facilitate discussion. Keep it civil. No personal attacks.

[/moderator hardhat]

RE: [Split Thread] Gender Behind the Writing - Kage - 02-06-2015

I would like to remind everyone abut the old Valentines event... that is being advertised again. The love love maid cafe? On the sargatanas server iirc.

Last year a majority of us found it odd... creepy... not exactly the RP we are looking for or interested in. Mentioned the servers/hosts real genders etc.

Yet it was extremely successful from what I saw online. It is simply something those of us here do not see as "kosher" but for some that is what they would prefer.

My point is cautioning people who do want RP like this. You won't find many interested in it here.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-06-2015

I think the end result is that RP is a community effort, and no one likes to feel excluded.

It would feel pretty shitty to get cut out of an RP because of what you are IRL.

It is not a big deal if it is just one person, but if that viewpoint ever took hold in the community at large it would be pretty unfortunate.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Warren Castille - 02-06-2015

I don't think the request is that bizarre. Perhaps a little unintentionally insensitive or creepy, but definitely not malicious or even incorrect or anything.

I also wouldn't attribute it to homophobia or anything like that. Sometimes when writing romance it does help to have a little bit of a disconnect. RP exists in a strange online place; While I've roleplayed basically every sort of relationship a man can have, I still wouldn't try to romance many of my real-life friends. There's a "no homo" joke here somewhere, but I've always felt that romantic RP needs a spark of genuine passion or something to make it flare, even if knowing the person on the other side of the screen doesn't match you romantically or sexually, even if you're not looking for romance or sexy times, well, I find that reasonable.

RE: [Split] Gender Behind the Writing - Kage - 02-06-2015

I think a few of us have asked this before but...

If it's not romantic RP, why does it matter?

In fact, why does it matter if almost all of your interaction is just IC? What does the gender behind the screen matter over what the character on-screen does? If the roleplay and story is well-written, does it truly matter?

I mean unless it's going into cybering etc I don't see why there is ever a need to know who the player behind a character is.