Hydaelyn Role-Players
Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid (/showthread.php?tid=527)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Lunaticked - 09-08-2010

Satisiun Wrote:
BloodHecate Wrote:Final Fantasy IX was the game that gave me the most hope for the franchise after Final Fantasy VI had ended. I couldn't stand the direction Final Fantasy took after VI, I enjoyed the games for being what they were, but it didn't feel like Final Fantasy. It was so wonderful to have a Final Fantasy game I truly liked back with IX. A game that finally felt like a Final Fantasy since their SNES days and Tactics. It was so nostalgic and perfect in so many ways, unfortunately they haven't done much of that since then. Thankfully though, the MMORPGs have gone down the path of the classic Final Fantasy. I would hope that Final Fantasy XV has more like the games behind it, like another IX, but I don't have my hopes up.

Necron was a bit of a silly idea, I must admit. But the overall game aside from aspects like that were pretty good. It was still awesome and foreboding by the time you got to Necron, and I loved how mysterious the whole endgame was, but I will admit aside from that it was easily one of the worst developed wrap-ups.

Still, it and Final Fantasy Tactics are the only two on the PlayStation that make me feel like they have something to offer to the series on par to that of the Super Nintendo. The only successful kindred spirit and continuation of the Super NES glory days.

And here I thought this whole thread was going to have nothing but "Zidane is a poopie head", considering what I've seen so far. Laugh Nice to finally see someone else who considers not only Tactics, but also IX, the better of the Playstation era games in the series.

Not to mention, for all the crap that IX gets about Necron, several of the other FF games pulled the same "Bigger Bad Out Of Nowhere!" stuff. Hell, what about Chaos in the very first? Cloud of Darkness in III? Zeromous in IV? And even to a degree, Yu Yevon in X! A sudden appearance of an "lolSoRandom" isn't a new thing for the FF series.

I love Tactics, I hate IX. Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk. I didn't give a rats rotting tit about the setting. I cared about the characterization and plot. IX was horrifyingly bad in that regard. The plot seemed like it was thought up with for ages 6-12, not the audience that had been growing up with the series and had grown to expect something a little more geared toward their level.

Tactics, shoddy translation aside, was great. A nice, layered plot with many important players throughout.

Square has learned from their mistake of IX and have matured their storytelling slightly, but they still have huge issues with character development. Though if I want a game where a main character is not the same person by the end of the game as he or she was at the start, I'll go to the Tales series.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Satisiun - 09-08-2010

Lunaticked Wrote:I love Tactics, I hate IX. Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk. I didn't give a rats rotting tit about the setting. I cared about the characterization and plot. IX was horrifyingly bad in that regard. The plot seemed like it was thought up with for ages 6-12, not the audience that had been growing up with the series and had grown to expect something a little more geared toward their level.

Tactics, shoddy translation aside, was great. A nice, layered plot with many important players throughout.

Square has learned from their mistake of IX and have matured their storytelling slightly, but they still have huge issues with character development. Though if I want a game where a main character is not the same person by the end of the game as he or she was at the start, I'll go to the Tales series.

::Shrugs.::

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree, then. I admit, some of the characters in IX were weak; Amarant comes to mind with his later appearance and rather quick moral turnaround, for example, and Dagger/Garnet at times seemed more hopeless than I would have liked. But watching Vivi basically grow up through the game, or Steiner question his obligations to uphold rigid, strict conduct compared to what is really the "right" thing to do were great examples of character development and storytelling to me, just to cite some examples.

And after the debacle that was VIII, it was nice to actually have a lead character that didn't make me want to go and down a bottle of Prozac just to keep my mood up. Say what you want about Zidane, but I liked his attitude, his personality, and even the explanation behind his backstory, and how he goes from mindless creation tossed into the world to destroy, to this open, care-free thief taken in and shown the open world by Tantalus and his adopted family.

And while you could say it being aimed at a younger audience is a negative, it's worth consideration that this game was all about paying homage to the earlier parts of the FF series. The very games that we were playing as children, or yes, even between the ages of 6 and 12 (I played FFIV the first time at just 9 years old). Nostalgia goggles? Sure. Maybe. I'll admit to that. Maybe IX was trying to work off of that. But I'm not ashamed of admitting it.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Zemann - 09-10-2010

Hm, I have always had mixed feelings about IX. As much as I liked it, I also disliked it. For example, the trance system was just so inconvenient that it wasn't even worth counting on in a hard fight. Usually I would have a character enter a trance after everyone had already locked in their commands, and the fight finished before they even did anything, thus making the trance gauge reset. It was a neat concept, and even with the high tide ability, it still didn't work as well as it should have. I of course, was one of those that complained about Necron, but that really is small apples in the great scheme of things. What matters more is being able to enjoy the game and the process. The mini games were well done and fun (though I pulled my hair out many times from the chocobo hot and cold game), though the side quests were obscure and a pain in the ass. (Exalibur II, anyone?)

Ahem, that being said, XII was annoying. I never played all the way through it. It felt like an MMO with the way it played, and since I was already playing XI, I didn't need to play another MMO offline. The story was kinda lame, Vaan sucks, and that's about it. The only interesting thing was Fran and her legs. Tongue

In regards to XIII, it wasn't a bad game overall. I didn't like the fact that there were no "rest" periods, and the storyline is so linear it hurts. There is almost no free exploration as well as not even being to choose your own party members up until more than half the game is over. I absolutely hate leaving so much to the AI in battles, and getting a game over when your main character falls is harsh. And then having a cap on your level up attributes is so frustrating since you can only grind so far, as well as your condition against the final boss (or any other boss) has an upper limit until you beat the game. As for the characters, they all suck except for Sazh, and he's not even that strong in battle. Sad And Vanille's accent really annoys me. Hope is a wuss, Snow is too cliche, Lightning challenges Squall with being emo, and Fang has hardly any impact on events until near the end. Ahem, so the game itself isn't bad, the story is all right, and the graphics are beautiful. It just doesn't "feel" like a final fantasy game to me. I think it could have been released under a different series and may have been better accepted.

Oh, and VI is my favorite. It's my first FF I ever played, as well as being the first RPG I seriously played. I wish they would recreate that one in 3D like they did for IV.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Selyne - 09-12-2010

Is the FFXIV RPC committed to remaining on Besaid? My LS is voting on our server home this week, and some are concerned that if we vote for Besaid merely based on it being the unofficial RP server, it could still change closer to launch.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Emaraya - 09-12-2010

How should it change 8 days before pre-release? It's Besaid. Time for the beach party, I'll get the crabs for your sleeping-bags at night.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Kylin - 09-12-2010

Selyne Wrote:Is the FFXIV RPC committed to remaining on Besaid? My LS is voting on our server home this week, and some are concerned that if we vote for Besaid merely based on it being the unofficial RP server, it could still change closer to launch.

Yes, the RPC is committed to sticking with Besaid. The amount of publicity we've received about it only reaffirms the decision. Square Enix themselves even now know about the decision. To change now would cause more confusion and headaches than necessary.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Selyne - 09-12-2010

Thanks, Castiel, that's what I wanted to know!

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Xzenivar - 09-12-2010

Only question I have is that if SE decides at the last minute to make an official RP server, what happens with Besaid? Whats the official word on this? Smile

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Emaraya - 09-12-2010

They know about us, so if they would make one they probably promote Besaid as the RP-Server.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - DAISHI - 09-18-2010

I love Final Fantasy X.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - dirti - 09-20-2010

Sorry to post here but do not sap where else, we know from the Spanish community to see our own decided to enter Besaid server.

We are about 2000 players enter Besaid we also enter this community Zam Server Core with many users and more.

For the good of all and not take any server problems of the communities would have to take the decision to go to another server.

We are about 2000 people but divided into many LS, so it becomes very difficult to organize at this point.

As you are much more organized to be all one big PR association. I appreciate very much to make the decision to go to another server.

Also because of the bad reputation of Spanish in the mmo, we do not bother to raise it and while playing, since most Spanish do not stop spam by channel commerce and other insults and kid things that gives us this bad reputation.

My intention is not to bother anyone, only to reach an agreement to play all at ease.

If someone bothered me apologize in advance.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Aveline - 09-20-2010

Dirti, I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at... ¿Es usted nos pide que elija un servidor diferente?

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - dirti - 09-20-2010

Aveline Wrote:Dirti, I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at... ¿Es usted nos pide que elija un servidor diferente?

Yes please, for the sake of not to bother and that the server is not filled with people.

To you I would be easier with a single ad.

To us it is impossible, because we are so divided.

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Gavriel - 09-20-2010

:bounce:

Re: Unofficial RP Server is Besaid - Aveline - 09-20-2010

dirti Wrote:
Aveline Wrote:Dirti, I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at... ¿Es usted nos pide que elija un servidor diferente?

Yes please, for the sake of not to bother and that the server is not filled with people.

To you I would be easier with a single ad.

To us it is impossible, because we are so divided.

Well, I'm sorry but I really do not see that happening. We picked Besaid as our server within 24 hours of our server being announced. It has been announced on all three premiere community sites that Besaid is where the roleplayers are, and we put it up to a vote of all 700 of our members.

It might be harder for you to gather 2,000 people together on the same server, but we have been on Besaid since the second day of Open Beta and I don't see that changing.